can legendary pvp + wvw armor get their own unique skins and not the same as ascended?

Draco.9480

raid armor looks much more unique. goes into 3 stages, 1 awkward set, advanced awkward set which is precursor then the legendary armor itself with animations of combat and not combat. why pvp and wvw legendary armor doesn't have it? and just have the same skin as ascended sets?

• 3 months later...

As I've recently gotten into WvW and started crafting the legendary armor, I have to say I am a little disappointed by the fact that this armor does not have its own unique skin. I know they don't want to put in the effort for crazy animations and all that, but would it be too much to ask that it at least have something to differentiate it from the ascended skins?

The current L. Armor implementation in WvW/sPvP seems very obvious from a cost-benefit standpoint. Low cost, high benefit. In the weeks before the WvW/sPvP Legendary armors were introduced, there were many complaints by WvW players about having no access to the -stat-switch_ feature of Legendary Armor without "having to do raids." The implementation of the WvW L. Armor seemed like an obvious move to address those complaints.

After all, switching stats in WvW was and is a desirable thing. Adding the stat-switch functionality with the same skin was much more resource friendly than a new skin plus the functionality would have been. Since they were planning a WvW function-only L. Armor, then adding one to sPvP as well was a no-lose thing for them -- they got a mat sink and another reason for people to play at very little cost in resources.

Adding a new skin to those L. Armors, on the other hand, would be high cost and low benefit. The mat sink, play carrot and functionality benefits have been happening regularly, without that cost. Adding skins after the fact would bring some unknown (but relatively small) number of additional players to the mode. While there would be some PR benefit among those who have already earned those L. Armor sets, there would inevitably be some who would complain they don't like the skins that ANet spent all those resources making. The cost, of course, would be as great as it would have been if they'd made the skins back then. To those resource costs, add in the inevitable PR cost of complaints about, "I want those L. Armor Skins but I don't want to PvP/WvW!"

While I think it's fine to ask, it doesn't seem like what ANet might gain by complying would come close to the cost.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:The current L. Armor implementation in WvW/sPvP seems very obvious from a cost-benefit standpoint. Low cost, high benefit. In the weeks before the WvW/sPvP Legendary armors were introduced, there were many complaints by WvW players about having no access to the -stat-switch_ feature of Legendary Armor without "having to do raids." The implementation of the WvW L. Armor seemed like an obvious move to address those complaints.

After all, switching stats in WvW was and is a desirable thing. Adding the stat-switch functionality with the same skin was much more resource friendly than a new skin plus the functionality would have been. Since they were planning a WvW function-only L. Armor, then adding one to sPvP as well was a no-lose thing for them -- they got a mat sink and another reason for people to play at very little cost in resources.

Adding a new skin to those L. Armors, on the other hand, would be high cost and low benefit. The mat sink, play carrot and functionality benefits have been happening regularly, without that cost. Adding skins after the fact would bring some unknown (but relatively small) number of additional players to the mode. While there would be some PR benefit among those who have already earned those L. Armor sets, there would inevitably be some who would complain they don't like the skins that ANet spent all those resources making. The cost, of course, would be as great as it would have been if they'd made the skins back then. To those resource costs, add in the inevitable PR cost of complaints about, "I want those L. Armor Skins but I don't want to PvP/WvW!"

While I think it's fine to ask, it doesn't seem like what ANet might gain by complying would come close to the cost.

The cost would be as great as creating any other ordinary skin (or perhaps less, if it's simply a modified version of a previously existing skin). Again, I understand that there were issues creating the PvE legendary armor sets with their fancy animations and speaking for myself, that isn't what I'm asking for. But it would be nice if there were some difference between the appearance of ascended and legendary WvW armor. Perhaps even just an aura of some sort. Whatever! Just something.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:The current L. Armor implementation in WvW/sPvP seems very obvious from a cost-benefit standpoint. Low cost, high benefit. In the weeks before the WvW/sPvP Legendary armors were introduced, there were many complaints by WvW players about having no access to the -stat-switch_ feature of Legendary Armor without "having to do raids." The implementation of the WvW L. Armor seemed like an obvious move to address those complaints.

The cost would be as great as creating any other ordinary skin (or perhaps less, if it's simply a modified version of a previously existing skin). Again, I understand that there were issues creating the PvE legendary armor sets with their fancy animations and speaking for myself, that isn't what I'm asking for. But it would be nice if there were some difference between the appearance of ascended and legendary WvW armor. Perhaps even just an aura of some sort. Whatever! Just something.

The cost would be greater since the same new armor skin could alternatively be used as a key feature for a future living world episode, which would bring a much wider and more positive PR echo for ANet. Cost does not just include "cost to make", but also "missing out by not using those resources someplace else".

As @"IndigoSundown.5419" said, legendary wvw and pvp armor itself wasn't an original idea but rather a way to offer legendary functionality to the people playing those modes after Anet realized that legendary armor in the way they had tried to do them in the first iteration was not cost effective. Since wvw and pvp already had their exclusive armor skins, attaching the legendary functionality to those was a logical step.

If ANet one day wants to go that step and add a different, unique new skin to legendary wvw and pvp armor I'm fine with that. I fully trust that they've got a decent idea of the cost to benefit ratio of such a move, much better probably than any of us. I can however see that this move could have just as many (or more) drawbacks as benefits, both in the resources required to create the skins as well as the community reactions. There's several vocal groups on the forums and other social media along the lines of "why did you put another ugly skin in my game mode", "why do you make me play wvw/pvp to get that skin" and similar complaints that will easily drown out the "thanks for giving me an exclusive skin" crowd.

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:Be glad you can get legendary armor from pvp or wvw, or mix it or both.There are people in game that don't have that luxory to get leg armor from mod they prefer to play.

?? Isn't it avaliable in pve, pvp, and wvw?

you mean raids, spvp and wvw?

Technically raids are pve. They are hard pve, but it is still pve. I sympathize with the difficulty level; I've done training groups with my guild. They are fun, but I decided I had more fun with wvw, so that's where I'm working toward my armor. I'm not the best at it yet, but I am learning and having quite a bit of fun. :)

Acquiring legendary armor in any game mode takes a lot of effort because it's the absolute endgame armor.

@Lynnanine.1652 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:Be glad you can get legendary armor from pvp or wvw, or mix it or both.There are people in game that don't have that luxory to get leg armor from mod they prefer to play.

Technically raids are pve. They are hard pve, but it is still pve. I sympathize with the difficulty level; I've done training groups with my guild. They are fun, but I decided I had more fun with wvw, so that's where I'm working toward my armor. I'm not the best at it yet, but I am learning and having quite a bit of fun. :)

Acquiring legendary armor in any game mode takes a lot of effort because it's the absolute endgame armor.

Technically wvw is PVP, see where am I going with this?

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

No I don't, sorry. Wvw has both pvp and pve elements.

@Lynnanine.1652 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

And built into the game as an entirely separate system from sPvP. It’d be like saying WvW is PvE as it has PvE elements as you mentioned.

@Lynnanine.1652 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Game mod is PvP. If it had any significant pve elements, game balance notes for classes would mention it separate from PvP. What if leg armor for PvP modes were locked on sPvP only?

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Game mod is PvP. If it had any significant pve elements, game balance notes for classes would mention it separate from PvP. What if leg armor for PvP modes were locked on sPvP only?

Again, Wvw is both pvp and pve. It's even defined as such on the wiki. It's a separate mode that has both pvp and pve within it. I was intimidated going into it because I'm no good at pvp and because I had no idea what was going on with wvw. With lots of practice, finding a good class, and an encouraging commander, I'm getting better and making progress toward getting the legendary armor I decided would be most feasible for me to get.

If you want legendary armor, the only option is to put in a large amount of effort in whichever game mode you choose. If you absloutely abhor any sort of pvp, your option is to learn how to raid. There are plenty of raid training groups available. There will be a lot of fails, as with learning the advanced playstyle of any game mode, but that's how life is. Again, I can absloutely sympathize because I do really enjoy pve. It's usually easy and low stress. People don't get as frustrated. I've found that finding a good group makes all the difference. I'm on Sanctum of Rall; if you happen to be too I'm totally willing to help you out in wvw. :)

@Lynnanine.1652 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Again, Wvw is both pvp and pve. It's even defined as such on the wiki. It's a separate mode that has both pvp and pve within it. I was intimidated going into it because I'm no good at pvp and because I had no idea what was going on with wvw. With lots of practice, finding a good class, and an encouraging commander, I'm getting better and making progress toward getting the legendary armor I decided would be most feasible for me to get.

If you want legendary armor, the only option is to put in a large amount of effort in whichever game mode you choose. If you absloutely abhor any sort of pvp, your option is to learn how to raid. There are plenty of raid training groups available. There will be a lot of fails, as with learning the advanced playstyle of any game mode, but that's how life is. Again, I can absloutely sympathize because I do really enjoy pve. It's usually easy and low stress. People don't get as frustrated. I've found that finding a good group makes all the difference. I'm on Sanctum of Rall; if you happen to be too I'm totally willing to help you out in wvw. :)

Thank you now Ill wait for balance patch for pve, wvw and separate pvp. Tired of this double standards talks.Got my ardent yesterday, will juts do 1 weekend, bit short on ascended shards, this season and make my spvp armor.