Which old maps would you like to see “expand” or update?

@BlueJin.4127 said:

For HoT, I’d like to see Anet change all main day/outpost event chains for VB, AB, and TD into solo events. People rarely do these, so it’s hard to find groups to complete them.

Eva guild runs them practically every day...

Before the last living world I would have said we needed more snowy mountain content... now I'm not sure.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only place I would like to see expanded upon is Fields of Ruin in Ascalon region. Mostly near Ebonhawke area.I'm sure the guards should be able to let us through the gate now. They can't have anything on the other side of that gate we haven't already seen that's worse.Maybe even make Ebonhawke a bit more useful overall. Its a cool city that's not even a hub and kind of serves as an afterthought now.

I think all old maps could do with a new lighting pass. And have the hearts made repeatable, as having had this game since launch exploring areas I haven't been to in a few years feels dead, because i get no sense of what (if anything) is going on in the area. I don't really know what map/maps I'd like for them to spend the most time on though.

Edit: As well as the reintroduction of all non-combat mechanics and minigames back into core maps. (such as the mini golem pit fighters outside Rata Sum).

@zityz.6089 said:Only place I would like to see expanded upon is Fields of Ruin in Ascalon region. Mostly near Ebonhawke area.I'm sure the guards should be able to let us through the gate now. They can't have anything on the other side of that gate we haven't already seen that's worse.Maybe even make Ebonhawke a bit more useful overall. Its a cool city that's not even a hub and kind of serves as an afterthought now.

Behind the gate isn't really interesting though. It's basically just the tunnel, which we know from a PoF NPC has completely caved in and they have to dig through it all the way again to establish a connection.

Sure they could do that now, I even think that they will do it, but there still wouldn't be much to see.

In general I would love there to be more connections between LS maps and normal maps. Not just between themselves like Kourna and that other map. Tons more of that wherever it makes sense. Make the world feel more connected again. Back in the day it was awesome that there were multiple actual ships that took you to different locations in Lion's Arch, like Southsun.

@BlueJin.4127 said:I would like to see Anet update all PoF maps (including LWS4) and reduce enemy aggro range from 900 to 600 like the rest of the game. This alone would make me actually play in PoF maps. Currently, the aggro range is so infuriatingly annoying I just don‘t do PoF stuff except when I have no choice (such as needing to upgrade mounts, which can only be done in PoF maps).I'm crossing my fingers nothing of those will ever happen. PoF and HoT maps atm are the few places which actually seem like a game, and not as some casual promenade grounds. They are not that hard at all for a half-decent player with a half-decent build, but at least they require you to actually play game, not just use it as some supplement activity while you are watching TV on the other screen. 80% of the game world is effectively a tree-hugging, flowers-picking environment you can play while being heavily drunk, by just running around and autoattacking things, easily avoiding any combat. Isn't it enough?

If anything, they should add more engaging content, which requires you to concentrate on the game to handle it, not more farming grounds with zero gameplay value.

As for the original question, I like how low-level maps are being reused as of now. Let's take the Kessex Hills, which seems to be one map I return to again and again, even though I've already playing as fully developed Ele with both e-specs competed. It's simply because it has those nicely designed mini-bosses (spider queen, bandit leaders, toxic alchemist, toxic court etc). They are just interesting to play, and quite challenging for a fully-developed character as well (apparently Anet can do proper scaling if they want to). Another example is the Tripple-trouble world-boss event, which is considered one of the most interesting boss fights in the game (but that's simply because other world bosses are.. not just that good designed), and attract players of all levels there.

So it's a nice way to re-use old maps, by putting there some challenging group content with an engaging, interesting mechanics, and scaling players and the mobs in a smart way to allow both low-level and high-level characters contribute more or less equally. The main problem is reward. I think it must be tied to the level of character, so even if you complete such challenging event in low-level map with an 80lv character downscaled to map's level, you still would get a decent reward, comparable to rewards of high-level maps.

What about, also new maps that reuse bits of existing map? An open world arah, or maybe a map north of Brisban incorporating the white mantle encampment they already designed, just abandoned now. You know, maps where part of the work is already done? Another Istan map with farahnur would be super cool too

@notebene.3190 said:I would not want to see any LW1 type changes happen to old maps. Types of things the Current Events team added to this point is fine (achievements, new events, maybe tuck a new meta somewhere), I would not want to see Kessex Hills happen again.

Well. it could be done so that the newer events only show up for those that have completed the story steps to reach them...but then that would require some sort of phasing and ArenaNet said they didn't want to do that...but then again, just having events tied to having completed certain chapters in the existing LW sort of avoids the whole phasing thing. If you haven't completed the Chapter then the assets and events don't spawn...not saying it's easy or not, only ArenaNet would know that.

It would be great to see some more action in the older maps.Everytime we go to a new map, and apart from the introduction that takes us there, everything takes place inside that map.Why dont we ever revisit older locations?

I get you dont want to use LS maps, because people may have missed an older episode, thus missing the map, but that doesn’t work for Tyria and Elona. Dont waste 90% of your game by limiting yourself to one corner of the world each time

I'd LOVE for them to add some more things to ascalon, and to finally put a fitting music. you've got branded areas, and a perpetual sunset/ autumn theme in places called fields of ruin, and then you have this happy field music that doesn't fit any of this at all.Id love for them to turn ascalon up with some more depressing/creepier music and add more things to it too.

@"coso.9173" said:Id love for them to turn ascalon up with some more depressing/creepier music and add more things to it too.I would really like for them to redesign the whole ghost-fighting visuals. As currently it's just a normal fighting like with foes made of flesh and bones, looks very cheap. It's not that hard, actually, just make them a bit more transparent, as if weapons just go through them, and substitute a regular "whack" sound effects with something more ghostly. It needs to sound like weapons just tear apart an incorporeal entity. Then just put an NPC in every settlement there, which would "enchant" players' weapons for 24 hours (not reset by log out), making them able to deal damage to ghosts, just for fluff. Would look much more believable this way.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@notebene.3190 said:I would not want to see any LW1 type changes happen to old maps. Types of things the Current Events team added to this point is fine (achievements, new events, maybe tuck a new meta somewhere), I would not want to see Kessex Hills happen again.

Well. it could be done so that the newer events only show up for those that have completed the story steps to reach them...but then that would require some sort of phasing and ArenaNet said they didn't want to do that...but then again, just having events tied to having completed certain chapters in the existing LW sort of avoids the whole phasing thing. If you haven't completed the Chapter then the assets and events don't spawn...not saying it's easy or not, only ArenaNet would know that.

I guess I meant fundamentally, I don't like the idea of having a wrecked Kessex Hills again, whether I've passed a line in the sand with respect to story completion of not.

@notebene.3190 said:

I guess I meant fundamentally, I don't like the idea of having a wrecked Kessex Hills again, whether I've passed a line in the sand with respect to story completion of not.

I get that, and if they did it they way I described you wouldn't have that problem, you wouldn't see the change if you haven't gotten that far, it would only change for those that have...I believe ESO does something similar from what I can tell, you can visit an area and do quests/events then once you complete them the area changes, but if someone else comes along they see and can do the event/quest if they haven't yet, but they won't see the changes until they complete it as well.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

I get that, and if they did it they way I described you wouldn't have that problem, you wouldn't see the change if you haven't gotten that far, it would only change for those that have...I believe ESO does something similar from what I can tell, you can visit an area and do quests/events then once you complete them the area changes, but if someone else comes along they see and can do the event/quest if they haven't yet, but they won't see the changes until they complete it as well.

That's what I was saying, if we take Kessex as an example, pre and post LW1, I would 'never' want to see Kessex destroyed like that, even if I had progressed in the story past the point it happened. I don't care for the idea of destroying existing areas to that extent, especially when they take nice, rolling green hills (bandit and centaur infested, albeit, but still), and turn it into big patches of Orr. :) So I actually 'would' have the problem I have as soon as I have gotten that far. Now, if there is a way for me to, having gotten that far, to then pick what period of time I'd like to see every time I enter the area, then I guess that would help, but then we'd have the same sort of fragmenting (not something I worry about) that is often voiced as a concern every time they add a new LW map.

And to be clear, I totally support your idea to want to see something like that, and it would be a neat mechanic. Your idea is in no way wrong, it sounds kinda cool - for people that like to see the world get destroyed over time. I just threw my original comment out to let the dev who read your idea, and might think it a neat idea too, that there is at least one person who didn't care for what happened in Kessex. ;)

@notebene.3190 said:

That's what I was saying, if we take Kessex as an example, pre and post LW1, I would 'never' want to see Kessex destroyed like that, even if I had progressed in the story past the point it happened. I don't care for the idea of destroying existing areas to that extent, especially when they take nice, rolling green hills (bandit and centaur infested, albeit, but still), and turn it into big patches of Orr. :) So I actually 'would' have the problem I have as soon as I have
gotten that far
. Now, if there is a way for me to, having
gotten that far
, to then pick what period of time I'd like to see every time I enter the area, then I guess that would help, but then we'd have the same sort of fragmenting (not something I worry about) that is often voiced as a concern every time they add a new LW map.

And to be clear, I totally support your idea to want to see something like that, and it would be a neat mechanic. Your idea is in no way wrong, it sounds kinda cool - for people that like to see the world get destroyed over time. I just threw my original comment out to let the dev who read your idea, and might think it a neat idea too, that there is at least one person who didn't care for what happened in Kessex. ;)

It could work both ways though, imagine we destroy an area like Kessex Hills, then go back again and do some events that restore it, perhaps not completely to it's original state, but a non-destroyed state that still shows some of the scars from that destruction? Would that suffice, and I understand your point, but by making changes to zones it does give the impression of a "Living World", more so than the current static "moments in time" format.

While I like ESO idea of having the map change based on where you are in the story, I'm not sure if GW2 engine supports it. If it did, it would be nice.For example, a brand new player going through the map wouldn't see the damage from LS2 until they got to those story steps. And other maps could similarly evolve (Orr doesn't look quite so bad after Zhaitan is destroyed, and perhaps as you finish other chapters, it starts to look better and better). Unfortunately, I think we are stuck with GW2 only offering the same map to everyone, regardless of story phase. Only way around that seems to be instanced content.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

That's what I was saying, if we take Kessex as an example, pre and post LW1, I would 'never' want to see Kessex destroyed like that, even if I had progressed in the story past the point it happened. I don't care for the idea of destroying existing areas to that extent, especially when they take nice, rolling green hills (bandit and centaur infested, albeit, but still), and turn it into big patches of Orr. :) So I actually 'would' have the problem I have as soon as I have
gotten that far
. Now, if there is a way for me to, having
gotten that far
, to then pick what period of time I'd like to see every time I enter the area, then I guess that would help, but then we'd have the same sort of fragmenting (not something I worry about) that is often voiced as a concern every time they add a new LW map.

It could work both ways though, imagine we destroy an area like Kessex Hills, then go back again and do some events that restore it, perhaps not completely to it's original state, but a non-destroyed state that still shows some of the scars from that destruction? Would that suffice, and I understand your point, but by making changes to zones it does give the impression of a "Living World", more so than the current static "moments in time" format.

Yeah, that would be great. I'd love to help restore Kessex. Push some of the centaurs back. Then some mafia thug and bandits come in demanding crops and money for 'protection', so we then have to deal with that. Ongoing cycles of change, 6 months at a time, that would be pretty cool, actually. :)

@"zityz.6089" said:Only place I would like to see expanded upon is Fields of Ruin in Ascalon region. Mostly near Ebonhawke area.I'm sure the guards should be able to let us through the gate now. They can't have anything on the other side of that gate we haven't already seen that's worse.Maybe even make Ebonhawke a bit more useful overall. Its a cool city that's not even a hub and kind of serves as an afterthought now.

I would really like to access the desert by that gate rather than taking the airship.

I know that on the desert's side of the gate, the tunnel has crumbled, but maybe make it "repaired"?

It would be fun to explore that little area. Come to think of it, there's also a large chunk of lands between Ebonhawke and Desert Highland.