LWS5: I believe we are going to Cantha

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it would be super disappointing if we never made it to Cantha.

I don't care what anyone says about it being "reused" - it's part of GW lore, and Guild Wars 2 is a very different game than GW1. I want to see it. That said, I would be totally fine with doing something else first to put a break between elona and cantha.

@dodgerrule.8739 said:If my theory is correct the jade sea was never from Shiro but from shiros master the dragon

Besides the fact that it's been long established that Shiro's master was Abaddon, the deep sea dragon doesn't turn things to (gem)stone (thats more a Kralkatorrik thing), nor is there any indication or implication that the DSD has any relation to Cantha let alone the Jade Sea.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@dodgerrule.8739 said:Armor weights didn’t really exist in guild wars 1.

That's true, but by its rating, a Ritualist's protection level was more like that of GW2's Necromancer than that of the heavily armored Revenant.

Counter argument: Guardians (heavy) are gw2's version of monks (light).

Though technically the guardian is a mixture or monk, paragon, and ritualist. Ritualist combined a single type of Tyrian magic and Mists magic. Guardians use the former while revenants use the latter. So it doesn't make much sense, magic lore wise, for ritualists to become a necromancer elite spec. A revenant elite spec, or a guardian elite spec, would make sense instead.

Ritualist and necromancer share similar tasks, but not magic, based on gw2 lore.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Counter argument: Guardians (heavy) are gw2's version of monks (light).

I will never accept that claim. Monks no longer exist, Guardians are Battle Clerics = not the same thing.

So according to you, the developers lied, Sea of Sorrows has false lore, and clerics (aka monks) donning armor and melee weapons are not the same exact thing as a battle cleric (aka guardian).

Okay. That's fine. You can think that. But you're wrong.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:clerics (aka monks) donning armor and melee weapons are not the same exact thing as a battle cleric (aka guardian).

Medieval style Battle Clerics and Asian style Monks are two completely different things.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:So according to you, the developers lied

They never claimed they were the "new Monks". Obviously they are not, as they don't share their culture, philosophy, or martial arts abilities. Kryta's Guardians are nothing like Ascalonian or Shing Jea Monks (Ascalon's Monks were obviously influenced by parts of Cantha's culture and philosophy). They may be the intellectual successors in terms of drawing their powers from the same divine source, but that's it.

Successors are not always identical to the original, are they? In this case, they definitely are not. And except for my Guardian, who serves Dwayna above all, I have not met a single Guardian in GW2 who is religious towards the old Human Gods.

@dodgerrule.8739 said:Monks had to evolve. I am sure we’ll see a new martial arts type class more similar to monks

This.

According to lore, it seems the Guardian is a mix of Paragon, Monk, Dervish and Ritualist.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian#Background and #Trivia.From the Devs: ...we brought in some elements from the protection Monk and Paragon from the first game...and...I've seen the Guardian compared to the prot Monk, the Paragon, the Dervish, and the Ritualist, and there are bits and pieces of all of them in there...https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/behind-the-scenes-with-the-guild-wars-2-guardian-massivelys-in/

You can encounter monks in human lands all the time. But combat and adventuring are now left to Guardians, which are essentially armored monks/paragons with a smattering of ritualist (i.e., spirit weapons). But guardians have learned that their powers come from not only from the gods but also all forms of faith.

I loved Cantha. Hope we're going back to it. I still remember this one area when you enter before the Luxon/Kurzick area where on the top part of the map there was this assassin group that I would farm all the time just because I like assassins :)

Hope Necro isn't the Ritualist. My "Champion Ritualist" Revenant wants that.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:clerics (aka monks) donning armor and melee weapons are not the same exact thing as a battle cleric (aka guardian).

Medieval style Battle Clerics and Asian style Monks are two completely different things.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:So according to you, the developers lied

They never claimed they were the "new Monks". Obviously they are not, as they don't share their culture, philosophy, or martial arts abilities. Kryta's Guardians are nothing like Ascalonian or Shing Jea Monks (Ascalon's Monks were obviously influenced by parts of Cantha's culture and philosophy). They may be the intellectual successors in terms of drawing their powers from the same divine source, but that's it.

Successors are not always identical to the original, are they? In this case, they definitely are not. And except for my Guardian, who serves Dwayna above all, I have not met a single Guardian in GW2 who is religious towards the old Human Gods.

@"dodgerrule.8739" said:Monks had to evolve. I am sure we’ll see a new martial arts type class more similar to monks

This.

1) Monks in GW1 were never "Asian style monks" because, Shaolin monks as they're properly called, are martial artists not healers. While the GW1's Monk's /dance emote was inspired by martial art movements, that's the only connection present. And no, "Ascalon's Monks were obviously influenced by parts of Cantha's culture and philosophy" is so far wrong it's silly because Cantha's culture and philosophy didn't exist when Prophecies (and Ascalon's monks) was made.

2) Yes, they did. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian#Background Two sources right there, front and center, on the GW2W's article for Guardian. Guardians are canonically a mixture of the Tyrian monk practices, the Elonian paragon practices, and a touch of Canthan ritualist practices. It's more than the intellectual successors in terms of drawing power from the same (not divine) source - which, funny enough, is exactly what I was talking about in the first place rather than the lore reason for Guardians coming into existence, that the magic is the same source.

3) I never said guardians must revere the Six. However, if you think about it, neither did Monks in GW1 - I doubt the charr shaman monks NPCs worshiped Balthazar and Dwayna while proclaiming them foes to kill. In terms of "holy men who worship the Six" - those "monks" still exist (more often referred to as "priests/priestesses" though), but they're not the same thing as the profession Monk; even in GW1 this wasn't so, as there are a handful of mesmer, elementalist, necromancer, and ritualists priests/monks in GW1.

@"SidewayS.3789" said:I hope not. I'm tired of human centric places/story. I want something new, not re-used places from GW1.

That's easily solvable. For example, it could be something like this:

• All humans in Cantha have been wiped out. The Ministry of purity were under the control of the Water Dragon. They were all turned into Krait, and krait turn out to be one of the Water Dragon minions. Krait made out of currupted naga would look more like the snake-like krait we know, while krait made out of humans would look more like GW1's necross krait, bipedal.
  • Cantha is now centered around Tengu. And we are helping them take back Cantha from their base deep in Echoval, with some help of other local races: Dredge, yeti, naga, and wardens, and the very small surviving groups of humans from the Kurzick and Luxon clans that escaped the Dragon Empire.
  • We could also learn than wardens are distant relatives to sylvari, and that Mordremoth didn't really create sylvari out of nothing, but by corrupting the humans that were the precursors of druids and wardens. And that wardens split from ancient druids when they were still human. That'll also teach us that because the mists are atemporal, humans have been in Tyria for longer than we thought. Early humans that became druids and wardens would be humans that accidentally got separated from the rest and slipped farther into the past during their travel, and wardens would be a group of humans that that escaped Mordremoth's corruption and got split from the rest, and though the rest of their compareds were lost, but theirs comrades also escaped and became the druids.

@Ashantara.8731 said:5 mins to go...

Edit: Told you so! :p

Yes. A real prediction when that_Shaman datamined the ritualist stuff weeks ago when this thread was made, with said outfit and weapon mentioned in the thread...

You predicted the equivalent of saying the sun will rise in the morning and proclaim it means we will soon land a man on Mars. Congratulations.