Get rid of Transmute Charges and make all skins free to apply?

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:What revenue? Most posts say people never run out.

People who post on the forums are not representative of the general playerbase population. For example (not claiming this is true, just providing an example of why bad representation means you can't use post data to arrive at conclusions):

More Casual = Less Likely to PostMore Casual = Less Likely to have lots of free transmutationsLess free transmutations = More Likely to buy transmutationsErgoMore Likely to buy transmutations = Less Likely to Post

I dont buy them and only i get w/e i get ingame. Personally i dont think many people buy them. So i dont think it would be much lost revenue, really i rather pay ingame with gold to swap my look around. Hair too, i think the base hair styles and colors should be able to be changed ingame with gold.

@Klipso.8653 said:Does anyone actually buy these? I've got so many I don't think I could ever burn through them. But I play alot of WvW so they're always getting thrown at me

That's like what someone mentioned before, WvW and SPvP get these things thrown at them. They are so overstocked as they are constantly being flooded with charges. While PvE on the other hand, is no where close to the same. The only way PvE players get them is via completing a map and daily log in rewards. That is a pitiful amount compared to how much PvP players get.

They need to even it out and offer more ways to earn them via PvE for things to be equal. Or, make them rare in PvP so it's equal to PvE. Thus the reasoning of just removing them in general so they don't have to balance out either one, and just making it cost silver instead. Because if you are not PvPing, and are not doing map completion, your only option is to buy them via the gem store. Which is extremely unbalanced as PvP players are swimming in these things, while PvE players are getting crumbs of them.

I'd probably be more likely to buy skins if changing them was free at all times. As it is now I really have to think about whether I want something long term because I don't want to spend transmutation charges swapping around, and once I settle on a look I like I never switch to anything else.

I never, ever do spvp and only really do WvW for easy dailies, fwiw.

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

@Klipso.8653 said:Does anyone actually buy these? I've got so many I don't think I could ever burn through them. But I play alot of WvW so they're always getting thrown at me

That's like what someone mentioned before, WvW and SPvP get these things thrown at them. They are so overstocked as they are constantly being flooded with charges. While PvE on the other hand, is no where close to the same. The only way PvE players get them is via completing a map and daily log in rewards. That is a pitiful amount compared to how much PvP players get.

They need to even it out and offer more ways to earn them via PvE for things to be equal. Or, make them rare in PvP so it's equal to PvE. Thus the reasoning of just removing them in general so they don't have to balance out either one, and just making it cost silver instead. Because if you are not PvPing, and are not doing map completion, your only option is to buy them via the gem store. Which is extremely unbalanced as PvP players are swimming in these things, while PvE players are getting crumbs of them.

Yeah, I had over 500 of them last time I looked

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:What revenue? Most posts say people never run out.

some, not most.Some people never run out, some people earn just what they need, and some people are always short.Long story short, if you”re short on TC, then changing your armor should feel like a rewarding experience, not done a whim

As for revenue, you dont know anets sale numbers.I actually think there’s a lot of TC being sold every day. Given how often I hear about people buying them in bulk

I have not had to pay, in-game or real currency, to change clothes in other games (except one). The exception required in-game currency, and I didn't play it very long. Changing clothes is a mundane, not magical, matter. I can't stand the restrictive feel that requiring a limited currency (I don't PvP) in order to remove a piece of clothing and put on another imparts. I voted Yes.

• Like 1

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Transmutation charges are generating revenue. That is a logical assumption since if they were not generating revenue, Arenanet would have already altered the system to either be free, or more restrictive.

That is not
necessarily
true. ANet could be keeping the system as is because charges serve as a minor reward. In a game genre where a subset of players gauge everything by rewards, that alone
could
justify not altering the system.

That said, though, keeping their status as rewards fits neatly into the rest of your rationale in place of revenue.

True, that would also be a possibility. Again disfavoring changing the current system though.

@coso.9173 said:sadly, not EVERYTHING is about revenue, not even for a company. it's also about finding a way to keep your clients/playerbase happy. if they make everything about revene not caring about anything else everyone will leave and the game is done.so you can't just ignore what people want, instead of only thinking about money. MMO comparisons are inevitable, and it's been a good while since most of them changed to much more friendly systems of cosmetic changes.GW2 isn't terrible or anything, but could definitely improve on this. a good option would be for instance at least to sell them by the unit, instead of forcing us to buy 5 at once. if the price for 5 is around 150 gems, which is around 50g, then the price for 1 would be 30 gems or 10 gold, which is already much better.

True, but given the amount of things already free with this title, that is a very hard case to make. Even more with the gem-gold exchange which relies on incentives for people to buy gems for direct use or conversion to gold (unlike many competitors where premium currency is only purchasable, the restrictions in other areas are vastly worse or there is subscription or optional subscription fees).

The current system also fits with the theme that everything in-game can be acquired via play (WvW and Spvp reward tons of transmutation charges while pve generates a lot more gold which can be exchanged to gems for purchase).

You can't simply come in and say: well they should make customers happy and revenue is not always important, when a vast majority of content delivered is free.

@coso.9173 said:this way players get easier access to something without spending an afternoon getting money or the means to buy 5 of them when they might only need 1, and arena still gets money from it.

Sounds like the perfect item which is:
  • not required to enjoy the game play
  • creates incentive to either spend money on gems, or in game currency on exchanging gold to gems, which in turn benefits the gem-gold exchange towards more gem purchases
  • is just annoying enough to not be game breaking

Sure, better options for more custom purchases might be beneficial. Kind of redundant in this case since chances of a person needing exactly 1 charge and never having any use for the other 4 is very low.

thinking about what you said, and the amount of free things in this game compared to ESO, or FFXIV i think it does make some sense for it to be somewhat harder. i mean in ESO you're not required to pay a sub, but for any DLC (that would be like a new living world episode) you need to buy it, and FFXIV, well it's a sub game.

BUT, I od't think it's fair to have pvp and WvW give so many charges while pve give so little of them. makes things specially unbalanced, because many people do not enhoy pvp/WvW (i know I don't) so I either have to farm 50gold which is not cheap, create a new character exlusively for map completition, which is not an optimal solution, or do pvp/WvW which i do not enjoy. If charges were distrivuted more evenly between pvp and pvp things would be much better.

This game already throws easy transmutation charges at you for free. Learn to plan your character's look in advance so you don't feel compelled to transmute your gear so frequently. I have never bought transmutation charges (except if they were included as part of a much bigger package of other goods), and I feel as if I am swimming in transmutation charges.

the game only throws TC for some game modes, mainly pvp, like i just said. i don't pvp, and many don't feel it's fair pvp gets so many while pve gets so few of them.i like to change my looks often, that is not a bad thing and i shouldn't be punished for not pvping to get the charges, since charges are not something exclusive to pvp either.

@Etria.3642 said:They are one of the things you get from Black Lion Chests. I wvw regularly. I also do map comp. I suspect others on the forum do as well, which is why we have oodles of the things.

But I know folks who like doing neither, and for them, each one they get from opening a blc is precious and awesome. My youngest daughter currently has /2/. I was flabbergasted. How can you only have 2?? She raids. Fractals. Dailies. That's it unless I drag her out to do something else. Anecdotal, I know, and no, she does not spend gems on them directly, but she does occasionally buy keys. To her the tc in the chests have value, and they are common, and she might get something cool. Removing them would lower the chests to my level(I almost never get anything cool, and most other things have no value to me) Which means she wouldn't buy keys.My youngest daughter actually started playing wvw for the sole reason of getting her hands on transmutation charges and unidentified dyes (she's not old enough yet for me to let her spend her pocket money on keys). She constantly runs out, and even gets charges out of the skrimish chests because that's what's most precious to her.

Also something just occurred to me. If so many of us have them and "no one buys them" then what difference does it make if they are free or not?

The only reason I'd argue for them to be free, myself, is if I did NOT have enough. I mean. I do. So I never even LOOKED at how much they cost in gems. The only times I figure a gold to gem ratio is when I DO want something.

Which then, looking at how many people here want them free, could possibly then be deduced that a fairly large portion out there ALSO isn't swimming in them.

Why else would they be one of the weekly offerings in SAB for FOUR. Bubble Baubles??? I looked at that and laughed. Uh no thanks. My daughter? Saving for boom box then getting the TC's.

Btw I sometimes make it sound like she's twelve(and sometimes I wish she still was) but they are both grown independent adults now. Sniff I can't wait to introduce my granddaughter to gw2. But that's a few years off yet.

@coso.9173 said:the game only throws TC for some game modes, mainly pvp, like i just said. i don't pvp, and many don't feel it's fair pvp gets so many while pve gets so few of them.i like to change my looks often, that is not a bad thing and i shouldn't be punished for not pvping to get the charges, since charges are not something exclusive to pvp either.I don't pvp and only rarely do WvW, and I'm still swimming in 300+ TCs.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:Edit - Wow, never knew folks round here in PvE land liked being EA-ed so much. Sure, pay money for QoL as opposed to content. Okay...

So, Anet must reduce their profits because why exactly? That's cosmetics and thus irrelevant to anything really important in a game. No balance impact, no game content restrictions. They can charge whatever they want for cosmetics, if they think it may help them to finance the project, I don't care. If you like communism that much, move to China.

I dunno what you guys talking /unhappy. I haven't played PvP (not a WvWer) for 2 seasons now, have 14 characters, use TC often, still have 500something sitting in the wallet.Maybe you should just play the game bit more? I dunno.people that talk of WoW etc forget to mention subs, really.

@coso.9173 said:the game only throws TC for some game modes, mainly pvp, like i just said. i don't pvp, and many don't feel it's fair pvp gets so many while pve gets so few of them.i like to change my looks often, that is not a bad thing and i shouldn't be punished for not pvping to get the charges, since charges are not something exclusive to pvp either.Have you tried doing easy WvW dailies? Like today is bid spender.Or running in Grove of freshly made lv 2 character?

How many of these other game examples are games that have subscription fees? Maybe changing appearance in those games seems cheaper than GW2 because those studios recoup their losses through those other fees?

It saddens me to see so many call for everything to be free.

@coso.9173 said:Like I said I don't like to pvp. That includes wvw.Maybe they should just remove TCS from pvp or wvw modes and then all those people who pvp and never use them can understand the problem a bit.

Make a syvari, pass trough first instance, turn around, do Grove completion, teleport to Rata Sum finish it as well, that is 20-30 minutes run, like 2 pvp matches. Rinse, repeat.I played 5 seasons, have 500 TC, try to spend half of that time on PVE map completion, see how many you will get.

Needs a third option on the "meh" side...For me they are free, never spent and never will spend money on those, and i have hundreds of them... So at this point with how abundant they are, they might as well make them free, really...But on the other hand, if they can make any revenue from them, keep them as is... But that's the thing, are they making any revenue from them? I mean, the poll should have been, have you ever bought Transmutation charges with gems?Then have like:

• Yes, in the last week
  • Yes, in the last 3 months
  • Yes, in the last 6 months
  • Yes, in the last Year
  • Yes, a long time ago
  • No, and i don't intend to
  • No, but i plan to
  • No, i would like to, but can't afford it
  • Can't remember

From that poll, then you could have an idea whether or not transmutation charges are getting bought, if people want to buy them, and then you could move on to this poll...