Squad composition

Makion.3457

I'd say an ideal party would be a FB, 2 Scourge, Herald, and Chrono/Spellbreaker for the last slot.

But I haven't commanded in about a year so I'm sure things have slightly changed (like Scrapper being ok)

But party members/squad take priority when recieving boons/heals so since generally the medium classes don't require boons to survive and other classes give out better boons, the squad slots normally get reserved for the other classes in a full meta squad.

Firebrand, Scrapper, Scourge, Scourge, Herald/Spellbreaker/Chronomancer.People downplay it but I still see some nifty group Mesmer play. Gotta catch your opponent off guard though. On the flipside, elementalists of any kind are a liability.

That said I still hop on my ranger main sometimes. The "meta" composition can't tell me what to do, its not my mom!

~ Kovu

With 2 FBs per party, or one FB+Scrapper per party, the best damage dealers are Scourge, Herald and Spellbreaker on that order. Spellbreakers are nice because the bubbles act as position enforcers but they have to know how to play together and not throw out all their elites at once. Chronomancers are always nice due to portal, stealth and their buffing capabilities, but not too many.

So I'd say, in a squad of 50 with 10 parties of 5, have like 6 parties with a mix of 2 FBs or FB+Scrapper alongside 3 of either Scourges/Heralds, and the other parties with a similar composition only switching out one of the damage dealers to either a Spellbreaker or Chronomancer. A squad like this is an absolute stampede and can only use due to sheer incompetence or by playing against an entire map's population at once. Of course you could stack rangers (rangers stacking, hah) and go have fun but you won't be having much fun if the opponent has a squad like I described roaming around.

Melee focused group : FB, scrapper, scourge, herald (jalis), chrono/spellbreaker/renegade (mallyx)

Mid range focused group: FB, 2x scourge, herald, renegade/scrapper/tempest/chrono

Ranged group (if there's no squad dedicated to it): FB, herald, weaver, scourge/weaver, chrono/tempest/renegade.

Generally you want fb, herald and scourge in every party, with non-range groups having additional scourges. You generally don't need more than 5 spellbreakers and 3 chronos. Scrapper amount usually depends on quality of fights because sometimes more than 3 can be redundant, but around 5 should be pretty good. Same can be said about weavers, but if the squad is full it's usually better to have a ranged squad with weavers and some heralds (as well as healer, I generally prefer tempest because it can easily keep ~10 people high on health due to huge radius of passive heals).

Renegade isn't very popular pick, but I think that it's very underrated because alacrity can be very important for more impactful skills such as ele's meteor showers and spb's bubbles as well as fb's tomes, necro's wells. They can be played as dps and healers, but dps is only valuable if you have excessive amount of heralds.

Daredevil with staff is also pretty strong dps in medium sized zergs, but I've seen good ones even in large blob fights.

Firebrand, Scrapper, Scourge, and Herald per group. Rest you fill with a couple of Spellbreakers for domes. A mes for portal, veil, and illusion. 2-3 Weavers for aoe denial plus they'll top the damage meter along with Heralds in most fights.

Double firebrands are nice, but it's a luxury most guilds/zergs don't have.

It depends on your playstyle.

To go pirateship or to go mid range/melee or a bit of both.Likewise, the size of the squad also lead to different compositions.

GenerallySquad that does pirateship a lot would have a lot more heralds and some chrono.Squad that does melee ball a lot would have a lot of sustain classes and a bit more scourge than herald.Squad that do both will try to balance classes, basically balance between pirateship and melee ball compositions.

1 support firebrand+ 1 heal scrapper +1 scourge + power herald + x

Note that these must be the proper variants. Now obviously you shouldn't and can't build check everyone but If you see a guardian with a torch or an engi using any other heal than med kit, either kick them from the squad if not in comms or put them in the rubbish pile along with the base rangers and stuff. Otherwise you're just endangering that whole party by giving them false hope that the "support" will properly protect them.

X is some form of utility like chrono/another scourge/spellbreaker/ele.