The epic PvP experience of a Thief.

Carnifex.3275

Thief was perfectly capable and oftentimes favored in 1v1 for the first 1.5 years or so. It was actually so good that you could beat most non-thief specs running sword only (aka spam sword 2 and sword 1). However, it wasn’t particularly quick at winning and had to leave the node while fighting so you were better off doing something else.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@bluri.2653 said:when has thief ever been a 1v1 god in sPVP lol the only real matchup you could have taken in 2013-2014 as S/D thief was hambow and a good hambow could still beat you it was a skill matchup, other than that you stood no chance vs engi etc or d/d eles so idk about 1v1 god lmao

Maybe old pistolwhip?

Acro staff is probably the only build that could toe to toe others because of the 3#/#4 spam but that's way before pof.

Far longer ago than that I mean.

@"Dave.6819" said:yea.. respect for the guy.. but even he agrees that Thief is in a very bad spot right now. it went from being a 1v1 god to a +1 / decapper bot. if anyone mained a thief back in like 2013-2014 knows how good it was. and now compare it to 2019.

Thief is ok issue is how Anet want other classes to help players overperfoming, Anet doesnt balance, they dont care about it, they do to stop "QQ" from players.The suposed Gw2 "balance" is based on how a class should make a player feel strong, not on how a skilled player can make a class strong.

Creating flavours rather than ways to play.. its is more in taste of LamersNet.Expect if its carrying its balanced in Anet devs mind, its a simple game for pve plebs after all.

current #2 is a soloq thief

just stop..

thief is the 2nd best class in the game after revenant , you have more control on thief in higher elo games than on other classes

you have PepegaStorm which does 12k damage with a full iframe and can be reset, and is aoe, and can swing team fights around

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:Player jumps into PvP and has a rough time adjusting.

News at 10.

this basically..

"i haven't done pvp in ages and when i come back i expect to be the best or else"

The only strength thief has is the lack of awareness of his opponents. This lack of awareness gives the average thief the opportunity to decap and +1. If they are aware and have a little mobility, now thief is a liability. Maybe good thief good make the 1 v 1 possible. How long did it take? Was it worth it? (long time, no).

@incisorr.9502 said:current #2 is a soloq thief

just stop..

thief is the 2nd best class in the game after revenant , you have more control on thief in higher elo games than on other classes

you have PepegaStorm which does 12k damage with a full iframe and can be reset, and is aoe, and can swing team fights around

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:Player jumps into PvP and has a rough time adjusting.

News at 10.

this basically..

"i haven't done pvp in ages and when i come back i expect to be the best or else"

he said he came back and rode it for 3 MONTHS....

i imagine the rust would be off by then

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I miss the days when teefs were op, yet they all had this persecution complex. simpler times.

Thief was never OP.. At its best it was balanced for a short period of time.

It was insanely broken at release

Eh, at release people played D/D thief in sPvP. Noone just had any clue what was good or not, so I wouldnt use that period as an example.

Thief was OP in 2014-ish though. Maybe early 2015 as well. Then a couple nerfs happened, other classes got buffed, and the rest is sad history.

Sorry for being negative, but in the whole thread i don't see what exactly is the problem with thief, what skill , what trait, what weapon is bad. I see people playing down the mobility of thief, it can traverse the SPVP maps in seconds if it had the big deeps of anything else it will force everyone in playing fully defensive, since no one can tell where the thief will pop out, which means more bunkers. Thief is less about mechanics and more about decision making and map awareness. The problem with spvp is that mobility is king and since when you get a thief on your team the other team has one too and most of the time the effort of the other 4 will be null and void by the better thief.Also i can't deny that many people are stupid and don't understand the roles of builds in sPVP and if they type in chat "this guy bad" that means they also don't understand they are wasting time and not helping. But that also applies to thief players, most of the time the "this guy bad" is a thief player, and on average you will get the bad thief on the team which feeds on the negative perception of the class. Most players assume being mechanically good=i'm the best, which feeds their ego but that free point being left not decaped is having more impact on the game then killing that dude.Average warrior, guardian, necromancer is good enough they can do their thing and have some impact, but having average thief is painful, cause it is really hard to cover for it,no one can really follow thief around , that is why bunkers started to be played more and more.

@"Vancho.8750" said:Sorry for being negative, but in the whole thread i don't see what exactly is the problem with thief, what skill , what trait, what weapon is bad. I see people playing down the mobility of thief, it can traverse the SPVP maps in seconds if it had the big deeps of anything else it will force everyone in playing fully defensive, since no one can tell where the thief will pop out, which means more bunkers. Thief is less about mechanics and more about decision making and map awareness. The problem with spvp is that mobility is king and since when you get a thief on your team the other team has one too and most of the time the effort of the other 4 will be null and void by the better thief.Also i can't deny that many people are stupid and don't understand the roles of builds in sPVP and if they type in chat "this guy bad" that means they also don't understand they are wasting time and not helping. But that also applies to thief players, most of the time the "this guy bad" is a thief player, and on average you will get the bad thief on the team which feeds on the negative perception of the class. Most players assume being mechanically good=i'm the best, which feeds their ego but that free point being left not decaped is having more impact on the game then killing that dude.Average warrior, guardian, necromancer is good enough they can do their thing and have some impact, but having average thief is painful, cause it is really hard to cover for it,no one can really follow thief around , that is why bunkers started to be played more and more.

People don’t communicate about what role they want to fulfill. Then they blame thief when things don’t work out.

If thief’s team consistently wipes in team fights without the thief to secure some kills and counter pressure enemy DPS, then decap won’t help much. You will lose mid and their team will be able to guard their home effectively.

As a thief—I want our side noders to guard mid and home. I want our bunkers to hold mid and be supported by side noders and roamers. I want roamers to decap and secure kills on mid and home.

Teams that push thief into suboptimal roles (even unintentionally because the other team is too good at killing the thief’s team) aren’t going to do well regardless of how skilled the thief is.

@saerni.2584 as i said people are stupid ranked is pug and pubstompers like condi mirage thrive but you don't see many at the AT, while thief is one the best if not the best profession in controlled environment just for having the best mobility. I've been playing reaper lately and to tell you most people don't understand their own build and you want them to understand yours, having help of any kind like someone going in first to eat some of the damage is game changing and having a support that knows what he is doing changes the experience tremendously (had a tempest that didn't let my hp go under half the bar, gave him a tip after the game, but that is the magic game that happens once in moon), but most of the time i get no support or when i get one it is firebrand that doesn't know that you can't heal necromancer under shroud.So all in all you have to expect the worst and try your best, mostly feels like pissing against the wind though.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:The mobility is questionable now with how fast some classes can move. In the arena, many can hawk you down. For example:

Decapping

• Mirage is blink, jaunt, axe skills. Did I mention they can cripple you while putting on all the face melting conditions.
  • Ranger is pew pew pew. He don't need to catch up. But, he can with his greatsword, and super speed if he aint got a bow. His pet will have no mercy either. By time you get to point, you can't decap because they are already there to stop you.
  • Warrior can chase you down with his weapon skill and he is moving 25% faster. Whew! At least you got short bow to port to safety, but you didnt decap cause he got there just in time.
  • Holosmith starts his chase, leaps leaps leaps, gores stealth and somehow has superspeed. You got the decap? No, CC chain from out of hell and killing damage outta stealth. No decaps for you
  • Rune of speed - some slow but hard hitting classes have found use for this plus a few utilities that make their lack of mobility claims questionable.

Did I mention that those above can move quick enough to decap, but they also stand a chance to 1 v 1 and fight back, some can even 1 v 2 and live. Sounds fair right? Not to me....not one dang bit.

Tanks and Bunker or Anyone really

• how many classes can you kill alone in a reasonably short amount of time with skill?

Plus One:

• more like plus half.
  • everyone has a form of defense and big hit potential. some hit really hard because they are "not mobile" - questionable
  • thief defense is dodge? evade in weapon. mis-timed dodge is fatal to thief. not an excuse for pitiful damage.

Damage on others should be toned way down. If they have boon fart, blocking, more health, access to mobility boost, and stealth they should have damaged toned down to match the mantra of thief.

Warrior is like the only class that I think should be able to do what it does in terms of damage because they have to walk everywhere and they dont have stealth or boon farts.

Yup. Agree with all of the above. It's why I switched to engineer and warrior. Fuck playing handicapped. The latest patch is a joke. Adding Abit of hp and nerfing steal range making unblockable isn't gonna make it a duelists. All a warrior needs to u do is catch u once or twice n ur dead. And your dmg to a warrior is like a wet noodle.

Also agree that you can barely decap because they will catch up to you and kill you.

Hey Dave! Maybe see u in game,got ESO made a dark elf nightblade toon,combats not quite as fleshed out as gw2 but man everything else seems so much better.nightblade just got some nerfs but still feels like it has far more identity as a rogue class that what's left of thief here. DD now worse +1 and will still be a garbage 1v1,d/p had flavor added with repeater but nothing to actually make it viable against the powercrept state of game and DD d/p is even worse now lmao. Clueless balance team,maybe try playing the classes for a decent amount of time before changing them just for the sake of changing them.good luck everyone with s/d for the next year.id give the next poster my gold but I only have 8g left so not very wealthy lmao.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Hey Dave! Maybe see u in game,got ESO made a dark elf nightblade toon,combats not quite as fleshed out as gw2 but man everything else seems so much better.nightblade just got some nerfs but still feels like it has far more identity as a rogue class that what's left of thief here. DD now worse +1 and will still be a garbage 1v1,d/p had flavor added with repeater but nothing to actually make it viable against the powercrept state of game and DD d/p is even worse now lmao. Clueless balance team,maybe try playing the classes for a decent amount of time before changing them just for the sake of changing them.good luck everyone with s/d for the next year.id give the next poster my gold but I only have 8g left so not very wealthy lmao.

I saw what they did to Physical Supremacy. They made daredevils steal 600 range. lol... I was still rockin Daredevil always. D/P for PvP. Staff for PvE. Now.. i'm rly glad i quitted this game. To think that thief will be buffed to have those empty hopes? How naive of us. They nerfed it even more haha. I gotta check the news on ESO btw been awhile since i played. Didnt hear what they did to nightblades. I'm sure they r still alright tho.

@Dave.6819 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Hey Dave! Maybe see u in game,got ESO made a dark elf nightblade toon,combats not quite as fleshed out as gw2 but man everything else seems so much better.nightblade just got some nerfs but still feels like it has far more identity as a rogue class that what's left of thief here. DD now worse +1 and will still be a garbage 1v1,d/p had flavor added with repeater but nothing to actually make it viable against the powercrept state of game and DD d/p is even worse now lmao. Clueless balance team,maybe try playing the classes for a decent amount of time before changing them just for the sake of changing them.good luck everyone with s/d for the next year.id give the next poster my gold but I only have 8g left so not very wealthy lmao.

I saw what they did to Physical Supremacy. They made daredevils steal 600 range. lol... I was still rockin Daredevil always. D/P for PvP. Staff for PvE. Now.. i'm rly glad i quitted this game. To think that thief will be buffed to have those empty hopes? How naive of us. They nerfed it even more haha. I gotta check the news on ESO btw been awhile since i played. Didnt hear what they did to nightblades. I'm sure they r still alright tho.

Magblade took a decent hit last patch, stamblade builds not as hard.the new necro class is aperantly really strong.Yeah no sense hoping to see thief get anything meaningful.arenet balance team tends to either go too far with buffs or not far enough and when its regarding thief it's always not far enough due to arenanet not wanting backlash by biased non thief players so itl most likely stay a weak disengage class for the games entirety.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Magblade took a decent hit last patch, stamblade builds not as hard.the new necro class is aperantly really strong.Yeah no sense hoping to see thief get anything meaningful.arenet balance team tends to either go too far with buffs or not far enough and when its regarding thief it's always not far enough due to arenanet not wanting backlash by biased non thief players so itl most likely stay a weak disengage class for the games entirety.

I wish they'd remove some ESO Plus disadvantages (like craft bag....) and fix their server latency. That's the main issues with ESO. If servers would be handled well and some features available for not buying ESO Plus... i'd never even look at any of MMOs anymore. I'd live in ESO 24/7. Those 2 things rly bummed me out after some years.

@wanya.1697 said:I think thief is fine as it isfor spvp the problem is more on the communication side with your teamso you would know if you should swap for that match to a more usefull class or not

i think you don't main thief. thats what i think.

PS. its always best to just swap thief for (insert any class here) once u pop into the match.

@wanya.1697 said:I play condi trap core thief as main as it provides cc condi dmg perma stealth and superspeed and 10k range backteleportif enemy team does not have bunker I can control 2 cap points on my own

Yeah let's see some vids of u controlling multple points lmao.i can easily type thief is fine I can often 1v3 successfully but doesnt make it true.

@Dave.6819 said:

I wish they'd remove some ESO Plus disadvantages (like craft bag....) and fix their server latency. That's the main issues with ESO. If servers would be handled well and some features available for not buying ESO Plus... i'd never even look at any of MMOs anymore. I'd live in ESO 24/7. Those 2 things rly bummed me out after some years.

Yeah that's totally understandable.my couple buds that left gw2 few months ago to go to ESO both bought all the add ons and sub for eso plus, I just got standard eddition cuz wanted to try it out and they definitely got alot of perks lol they definitely didnt grind to level 10 before getting a mount. I can see me checking out wvw in gw from time to time but that be about it with where this games heading,eso seems to far ahead of this game as far as everything else to return to this boring mess.

@Erzian.5218 said:ESO is a good game but it really suffers from performance issues (cyrodil always lagging, monthly login issues for steam users, now the newly found login queue during prime time, horrible fps drops on weaker cpus). What makes this is even worse is that the main difficulty of eso (attack weaving) is highly susceptible to low performance. If the their servers and game engine were better, it would be an amazing game (assuming you don't mind that pretty much every skills is instant and most cast animations can be canceled so that's impossible to actually see what's going on).If you like smooth movement and combat, you should stick to gw2 as ESO just feels super clunky compared to it.

Yep, the game is really sensitive to packet loss to the point where it can cause 10 minute loading screens. If you're using WiFi (for whatever reason) and want to play pvp in ESO, forget about it.