is this ANets limit to thieves?

alejandro.2093

Thief

We've been looking at ways to improve the pistol main-hand and dagger off-hand build for thieves. We wanted to give the weapon pair a little more lethality without improving other weapon sets or removing current utility, so we decided to go with the mechanic we used for Tow Line during the underwater update. This allows Shadow Strike to flip over to Repeater for a period of time. Additionally, the team has adjusted Unhindered Combatant so that exhaustion scales with the severity of the condition that was removed. Finally, we're reducing the duration of stealth for Silent Scope in competitive modes so that it is more of a brief respite in combat rather than a stealth upkeep trait.

so far on every balancing act that the developers are doing, they don't seem to be motivated in any kind of improving thieves skills, traits etc,

it is either bug fix, nerf, tool tip changes, and nothing else.

i guess this is the limit to what the devs can do to thieves, we are at the end game,

they are interested in not buffing thieves, more nerfs to come, no more significant changes and reworks, it seems that we are on the spot that the devs has envisioned thieves has to work.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:

I think they've given in to the,
not entirely wrong though
, opinion of large part of the community that Thief in itself is a balanced profession.

Except we are high risk, high reward.

Problem is that we have a gimped reward now, and have to fight through a series of passives they've given to help counter us. I agree when it was for one shot builds. But so much of it can carry players and we have no way through it outside of running our heads into a brick wall.

Most of our utils also have never been updated with the changes of time... So...

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:

I think they've given in to the,
not entirely wrong though
, opinion of large part of the community that Thief in itself is a balanced profession.

Except we are high risk, high reward.

Problem is that we have a kitten reward now, and have to fight through a series of passives they've given to help counter us. I agree when it was for one shot builds. But so much of it can carry players and we have no way through it outside of running our heads into a brick wall.

Most of our utils also have never been updated with the changes of time... So...

That's why I said "not entirely" =D

Arenets over last few years have pretty much promoted the few one trick pony mechanics that thief has while continuing to nerf its actual fighting capabilities resulting in most thieves relying one those few mechanics as a way to actually be effective.problem is made worse due to those one trick pony mechanics being annoying to fight against leading to salt and op claims. Doubt it’s ever going to change as it seems arenanet doesn’t know what to do with thief and non thief players(the majority of the community) will alway cry op etc due to the thieves design and the playstyle arenet promotes within the class. There’s even posters saying it’s one of the best 1v1 classes lmao

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Arenets over last few years have pretty much promoted the few one trick pony mechanics that thief has while continuing to nerf its actual fighting capabilities resulting in most thieves relying one those few mechanics as a way to actually be effective.problem is made worse due to those one trick pony mechanics being annoying to fight against leading to salt and op claims. Doubt it’s ever going to change as it seems arenanet doesn’t know what to do with thief and non thief players(the majority of the community) will alway cry op etc due to the thieves design and the playstyle arenet promotes within the class. There’s even posters saying it’s one of the best 1v1 classes lmao

Supposed to be a great 1v1. A quick check in the Wiki for thief will reveal that it's "deadly" in 1v1 Which is true at launch. It was one of the strongest classes at direct fighting. But it often fell short when dealing with groups. The 1v1 is no longer true.

I think the issue is the same as always, we're a difficult profession to buff because any small increase can be monstrously OP in the right hands. The choking gas daze is probably a good example of this. That said, what Turk said is correct, we're probably as close to balanced as we're gonna be right now when it comes to meta/common specs, and ANet spending dev time on stuff like P/D that you hardly ever see used makes sense. Just wait for the next expac, for ANet to realise that nobody plays the new specs and for the resulting sweeping nerfs to PoF specs I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Arenets over last few years have pretty much promoted the few one trick pony mechanics that thief has while continuing to nerf its actual fighting capabilities resulting in most thieves relying one those few mechanics as a way to actually be effective.problem is made worse due to those one trick pony mechanics being annoying to fight against leading to salt and op claims. Doubt it’s ever going to change as it seems arenanet doesn’t know what to do with thief and non thief players(the majority of the community) will alway cry op etc due to the thieves design and the playstyle arenet promotes within the class. There’s even posters saying it’s one of the best 1v1 classes lmao

+1well said

(by the way, i would like to share this video) your thoughts??

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:
Arenets over last few years have pretty much promoted the few one trick pony mechanics
that thief has while continuing to nerf its actual fighting capabilities resulting in most thieves relying one those few mechanics as a way to actually be effective.problem is made worse due to those one trick pony mechanics being annoying to fight against leading to salt and op claims. Doubt it’s ever going to change as it seems arenanet doesn’t know what to do with thief and non thief players(the majority of the community) will alway cry op etc
due to the thieves design and the playstyle arenet promotes within the class.
There’s even posters saying it’s one of the best 1v1 classes lmao

+1well said

(by the way, i would like to share this video) your thoughts??

The way you won a match with this thief build in plat 2 wth...

Mesmers and thieves are the most hated professions in wvw (and in some spvp sesasons). But as some of you said, it is not their fault. Anet nerfed the professions, and their build variety to hell, so there are only few working builds that rely on gimmicks or instabursting, which makes other players furious. But again as a thief and a mesmer player, I am also bored playing the same thing over and over again. And I have zero hope for Anet to improve anything about both professions.

Another problem is again stated in this topic, one tiny change might cause a horrible imbalance at the hands of a professional player. So adjusting the profession needs so much time and effort. Again I have zero hope to have a different play-style than instabursting.

@alain.1659 said:Mesmers and thieves are the most hated professions in wvw (and in some spvp sesasons). But as some of you said, it is not their fault. Anet nerfed the professions, and their build variety to hell, so there are only few working builds that rely on gimmicks or instabursting, which makes other players furious. But again as a thief and a mesmer player, I am also bored playing the same thing over and over again. And I have zero hope for Anet to improve anything about both professions.

Another problem is again stated in this topic, one tiny change might cause a horrible imbalance at the hands of a professional player. So adjusting the profession needs so much time and effort. Again I have zero hope to have a different play-style than instabursting.

Thanks for your honesty and sincerity.

@"Burnfall.9573" said:May i also add this?? Which is still relevant to the thread after 7 years?

'GO WITH THIEF - Guild Wars 2 Original Fan Song - Beyond Repair' by Beyond Repair

Thanks!!!Enjoy!!

Thief's a far different beast than it was 7 years ago,far different as are other classes due to powercreep. Do u play thief alot?lol

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Burnfall.9573" said:May i also add this?? Which is still relevant to the thread after 7 years?

'GO WITH THIEF - Guild Wars 2 Original Fan Song - Beyond Repair' by Beyond Repair

Thanks!!!Enjoy!!

Thief's a far different beast than it was 7 years ago,far different as are other classes due to powercreep. Do u play thief alot?lol

No he hates it