Ascended gear before expansions?

I am a returning player who stopped playing a little before Heart of Thorns was released. I hit lvl 80 and got full exotic but never got my ascended gear, so my question is should i work on getting my ascended gear before buying the two expansions or should i just jump into the expansions and work on that after.

@Tragedy.8974 said:I am a returning player who stopped playing a little before Heart of Thorns was released. I hit lvl 80 and got full exotic but never got my ascended gear, so my question is should i work on getting my ascended gear before buying the two expansions or should i just jump into the expansions and work on that after.

It depends on what you want to play as that will dictate the stats you need and that will tell you if you need the expansions for those stats. I would play it safe and just get it after you get the expansions. Exotic works just fine for pretty much everything except high level fractals.

Buy the expansions as ascended gear isn’t required for the content. You’ll also get ascended weapons while completing the elite specialization collections for each of the expansions. With HoT, you’ll have the ability to go to the LS3 maps, which are another separate purchase, which will allow you to farm map currencies to purchase ascended trinkets.