WvW commanders/guilds kicking non-meta classes.

Princ.3598

@"nthmetal.9652" said:

Good luck joining a competitive raiding guild in ESO with a hipster build

Nothing shows the different mentalities in the community better than this comment.There is no really good solution to this. Maybe games catering to such different mentalities need to put way more effort into grouping players of the same skill level together. In WvW the current server-based grouping obviously cannot do that.

Maybe such games need some kind of "handicap" system, combined with a reward system tailored to the handicaps; this approach can backfire easily at many points though: The handicap is supposed to bring players of different skills more to the same level, maybe by giving lower skill players specific bonuses or higher tier players negative effects - either system could possibly upset higher-skill level players.The combination with better rewards can possibly upset lower-skill players, who are unable to progress beyong a certain point and thus might never be able to get certain rewards. Depending on the kind of reward, especially if the reward would offer a mechanical benefit, this can be problematic.

I can say this from personal experience: I cannot tell you how much it upsets me, that I have not all those HoT masteries done. It has nothing to do with really
needing
them, I can play the game fine as it is, but everytime I open that menu and see those missing masteries something inside me grumbles and rages. Yet I was so far unable to obtain these missing masteries due to a lack of skill. It's as if someone was waving something around in front of my nose and teasing "Here! You could have this. If only you tried hard enough. If you were just a little better." .... GREEAAARHAHAAAARGH!

Don't you think people should have the maturity to cope what that last example though? I honestly think a "handicap" system sounds horrible.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@nthmetal.9652 said:snip

I get what you're trying to say but this exclusion is ultimately a people problem in online games and not an issue with game design.

Read a guide, practise your rotation on the golem for a while and then join a training raid. The raid lead will explain everything. You don't have to talk, just listen and then get your first raid kill.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:Ranger in a zerg is just wasting your time, u gonna be killed before others, and, being single target class u wont get much kill scores no matter how good the zerg are.

Weird, as boonbeast I outsurvive everyone except Firebrands and Scrappers, and in fact I outsurvive them too because I can get away.

I'm not single target and get plenty of kills in the backline and because I got away I continue to scout the enemy zerg while all those meta pukes run back.

Statements that ranger can't bring what meta classes do to the blob are pretty accurate, but some of this nonsense....

@Tinnel.4369 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Ranger in a zerg is just wasting your time, u gonna be killed before others, and, being single target class u wont get much kill scores no matter how good the zerg are.

Weird, as boonbeast I outsurvive everyone except Firebrands and Scrappers, and in fact I outsurvive them too because I can get away.

I'm not single target and get plenty of kills in the backline and because I got away I continue to scout the enemy zerg while all those meta pukes run back.

Statements that ranger can't bring what meta classes do to the blob are pretty accurate, but some of this nonsense....

come on, the cry about "snif commander dont invite-me" come almost from ppl that just wanna pew pew with longbow. if he were someone with superior skill of the class, he would not be in such a cry.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:Ranger in a zerg is just wasting your time, u gonna be killed before others, and, being single target class u wont get much kill scores no matter how good the zerg are.

come on, the cry about "snif commander dont invite-me" come almost from ppl that just wanna pew pew with longbow. if he were someone with superior skill of the class, he would not be in such a cry.

There is a viable slb zerg build, it's just very unintuitive. We have two that run with us regularly and out damage scourges

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

There is a viable slb zerg build, it's just very unintuitive. We have two that run with us regularly and out damage scourges

Do they outcorrupt scourges too?

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

yes because scourge is totally there for the damage

do you also use weavers and heralds? or replace them with rangers

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@"RisenHowl.2419" said:On the flip side of that, if you have really bad damage, cleansing, strip, heal, and boon output.... why would you want to run that build at all?

Single target pick builds probably won't register as particularly high in any of those categories, but they do serve a niche contributive role. No replacement for a meta guard, necro, scrapper etc. -- but should otherwise fall into your loose criteria of not being detrimental.

Also, while I generally run straight dps on my necro, I have saved a lot more people on my transfusion build, sometimes leading to swinging the fight in my team's favor.Its just the fuckups that are more memorable and visible-- with everyone being clumped up, and some of those "fuckups" were caused by unwanted delayed teleporting. That teleport AI is about as unreliable as Ranger's SnR.

~ Kovu

When I tag up (
home BL) I have no problem with single target builds/classes as long as the players
can follow the target I call.
I call, you all kill it, then we finish it and keep going.

Seems like every push I see fail is cause when the commander calls target no one follows it and it doesn't go down. Now tag-a-longs outside the squad can't see these calls, but those in it have no excuse.

Fair.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

Weird, as a nomad rifle warrior. I can outsurvive everyone from the backline too. I just GS away when the wind is blowing the wrong way. I can single target plenty of kills and scout the enemy zerg from my living story.

@shiri.4257 said:

Weird, as a nomad rifle warrior. I can outsurvive everyone from the backline too. I just GS away when the wind is blowing the wrong way. I can single target plenty of kills and scout the enemy zerg from my living story.

Roll with it then!

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Definitely out barriers them!

@melandru.3876 said:

yes because scourge is totally there for the damage

do you also use weavers and heralds? or replace them with rangers

We only run rangers, core preferably

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

At least you understood the flaw in your argument. I would, however, expect you (you make tutorial vids on wvw blobclasses, after all) to know better. Compare ranger dps to weaver or herald dps.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

At least you understood the flaw in your argument. I would, however, expect you (you make tutorial vids on wvw blobclasses, after all) to know better. Compare ranger dps to weaver or herald dps.

Neither of them has caught up with our top weaver, but they've beaten our heralds a couple times. Slb doesn't bring great boons or corrupts, but there are some useful tools in its kit. Plus one wolf pack in a party full of zerker scourges is <3

And i'm not recommending everyone play slb, but if people are playing a slb and doing well with it I'm not going to kick them from my squad. Think that's the point of this thread?

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

Neither of them has caught up with our top weaver, but they've beaten our heralds a couple times. Slb doesn't bring great boons or corrupts, but there are some useful tools in its kit. Plus one wolf pack in a party full of zerker scourges is <3

And i'm not recommending everyone play slb, but if people are playing a slb and doing well with it I'm not going to kick them from my squad. Think that's the point of this thread?

You should add renegade's elite skill to that group composition.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

Is that in open field fights or on dps golems tower/keep lords?

(Seriously though, in open field fights if your group isn't coordinated then the scourge DPS will indeed be lower so it is difficult to take your anecdote as good evidence.)

@Limodriver.4106 said:Talk is cheap I like to see u command bunch of thieves and rangers and make it work lol When u go up against enemy with machine gun u better have machine gun too.Posting this reply from page 2 (of 5 as it stands now) so I haven’t read everything after this quote yet. That said this is. A poor illustration if you truly care to convince. A skilled and well placed sniper can destroy any machine gun emplacement. A skilled grenadier can drop a grenade right on top of the machine gun and then you have a mess and scrap metal.

I think part of the problem here is a failure to recognize that different commanders have different skills and tactics. What.may work for one won’t necessarily work for the next. I have run on a nonmeta squad where our leader steamrolled everything he found, but he was AMAZING in his use of terrain, his coordination, etc. some commanders have tactics that work best with an all meta group. Others think differently and make different use of the Human Resources they have to accomplish their goals.

@Chaba.5410 said:

Is that in open field fights or on
dps golems
tower/keep lords?

(Seriously though, in open field fights if your group isn't coordinated then the scourge DPS will indeed be lower so it is difficult to take your anecdote as good evidence.)

As is the anecdote that by simply logging on a meta class someone automatically got more useful.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

dps golems
tower/keep lords?

As is the anecdote that by simply logging on a meta class someone automatically got more useful.

It doesn't require anecdotes to see that a dps scourge with shades up can hit 10 targets versus a ranger's skills doing damage to only 5. That's just understanding game mechanics (and why druids with their 10 target spirits are more useful in pve raids over support scourges).

@Chaba.5410 said:

dps golems
tower/keep lords?

It doesn't require anecdotes to see that a dps scourge with shades up can hit 10 targets versus a ranger's skills doing damage to only 5. That's just understanding game mechanics (and why druids with their 10 target spirits are more useful in pve raids over support scourges).

Thats true but in all fairness, Scourge damage is just pressure, nobody is really dying to to their AoEs (at least nobody decent). Not saying it isn't vital to have pressure, but lets be honest the downs sre generated by Rev and Weaver spikes, with Rev in particular 5 targets. So target cap isn't everything.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

dps golems
tower/keep lords?

Thats true but in all fairness, Scourge damage is just pressure, nobody is really dying to to their AoEs (at least nobody decent). Not saying it isn't vital to have pressure, but lets be honest the downs sre generated by Rev and Weaver spikes, with Rev in particular 5 targets. So target cap isn't everything.

Removing protection and applying vulnerability and cripple plays huge role though. That's not something that weavers and heralds can do without scourge.

@Chaba.5410 said:

dps golems
tower/keep lords?

And it doesn't take much imagination to see that someone that doesn't know how to use a dps scourge is worthless.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

dps golems
tower/keep lords?

And it doesn't take much imagination to see that someone that doesn't know how to use a dps scourge is worthless.

In other words, a player who would also be worthless on every other class because they don't take the time to learn and improve whatever class they are playing. No reason to let them into a squad on ranger either.