When will the power creep end?

hunkamania.7561

Gotta question wha tpeople really want.

Classes that have been really annoying and strong get nerfed, they cry that it's worthless now. Isn't that exactly what "reducing power creep" is? Nerfing strong classes to get them back in line? The circle just keeps going forever. Most of the nerfs that "will 100% kill x" have not done so, but they have reduced overall power. That doesn't mean they're going to address every single issue in a single patch...

@"Blocki.4931" said:Gotta question wha tpeople really want.

Classes that have been really annoying and strong get nerfed, they cry that it's worthless now. Isn't that exactly what "reducing power creep" is? Nerfing strong classes to get them back in line? The circle just keeps going forever. Most of the nerfs that "will 100% kill x" have not done so, but they have reduced overall power. That doesn't mean they're going to address every single issue in a single patch...

People want to over-react, something to feel enraged about.

Because, humans have it too good, they're bored, nothing is important enough in their daily lives to threaten it or their stability. So they poor their emotions and drive into other "useless" things, and gets all caught up in it. And so, we have bunch of gamers screaming bloody murder and sky is falling because their character got a -1% damage modifier in the latest patch, or they favorite characters left toenail got a slightly different color than it used to have in last patch. Serious bizzniz.

To stay on topic, and avoid further snark...

Judging from the only evidence we have, the earlier balance cycles resolving around expansion pack releases. Then the power-creep will generally be toned down the last half year until a new expansion pack. The half years before Expansion release has generally seen the most balanced gameplay so far. (Correction, with this I consider the 6 months before the june2015 patch, not the actual time from that patch to release of hot in october2015).

From a necro roaming perspective, I think the warclaw indirectly solved half of the drawbacks that we suffered due to the power creep.

High burst Spike from heavy stealth classes like mesmers and thieves can't be pulled off that easily anymore when they need to punch through the kitty first.This gives us reasonable time to react now. Less cheese from stealth especially those that add quickness to their stealth opener.

Long range + mobility drawbacks especially against rangers are at least negated for the opening exchange since we can evade with the kitty to start the fight right beside them.We no longer need to bust all our evades and shroud and HP just to close the gap on them.Although rangers with their much superior mobility still got the ability to kite away, we got a good chance of preventing their escape as well.Our starting point in a fight is much more even now.

I think a few other classes would agree too that the warclaw has indirectly solved some of the power creep issues.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:From a necro roaming perspective, I think the warclaw indirectly solved half of the drawbacks that we suffered due to the power creep.

High burst Spike from heavy stealth classes like mesmers and thieves can't be pulled off that easily anymore when they need to punch through the kitty first.This gives us reasonable time to react now. Less cheese from stealth especially those that add quickness to their stealth opener.

Long range + mobility drawbacks especially against rangers are at least negated for the opening exchange since we can evade with the kitty to start the fight right beside them.We no longer need to bust all our evades and shroud and HP just to close the gap on them.Although rangers with their much superior mobility still got the ability to kite away, we got a good chance of preventing their escape as well.Our starting point in a fight is much more even now.

I think a few other classes would agree too that the warclaw has indirectly solved some of the power creep issues.

Its made the only class and build I find fun (DD Tempest) to be completely and utterly useless... The mount is powercreep from my perspective. Its faster than my cast times and immune to 80% of my skills.Churning Earth to Lightning Flash aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand out of range.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:From a necro roaming perspective, I think the warclaw indirectly solved half of the drawbacks that we suffered due to the power creep.

Ok so WvW was 50% necros and the mounts removes all necros weaknesses without drawbacks crippling lots of other builds and WvW is still 50% necros, right. Sounds fair.

@Anput.4620 said:

Ok so WvW was 50% necros and the mounts removes all necros weaknesses without drawbacks crippling lots of other builds and WvW is still 50% necros, right. Sounds fair.

Not when it's off the mount. Had many a dismount this week. kicks, stabs, death's j' , stealth, misuse those dodges and eat gankers food.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Its made the only class and build I find fun (DD Tempest) to be completely and utterly useless... The mount is powercreep from my perspective. Its faster than my cast times and immune to 80% of my skills.Churning Earth to Lightning Flash aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand out of range.

As a Necro main, trust me when I say I can fully understand how you feel.After all, Necros have never been able to pick their fights.Since Vanilla, through HOT and now POF with mounts.It has always been the same story for us.We only get to fight those who want to fight us.

And after a while, we got used to it.Those who don't want to fight us aren't worth our time.Those who want to fight us, we say, bring it on!

I'm not sure, but I wish we had some transparency from the balance team in terms of the direction they are trying to steer the meta.

Do they have plans to fix the power creep? Or do they think the meta is in a good place right now? They need to tell us these things. Otherwise we're just sitting in the dark, with hope wearing thinner after every balance patch that the game might one day not suck.

@Elementalist Owner.7802 said:I'm not sure, but I wish we had some transparency from the balance team in terms of the direction they are trying to steer the meta.

Do they have plans to fix the power creep? Or do they think the meta is in a good place right now? They need to tell us these things. Otherwise we're just sitting in the dark, with hope wearing thinner after every balance patch that the game might one day not suck.

Last couple balance patches have already started working towards bringing UP builds up to usable levels, it'll be interesting to see what this one does

@LetoII.3782 said:

Last couple balance patches have already started working towards bringing UP builds up to usable levels

I.E. Adjusting obsolete builds up to current power creeped levels, which invariably results in a new set of obsolete builds as they overshoot and add further power creep....

If everything is OP, nothing is OP =D

I think an analogy can be made with mastering a track in sound engineering - boosting [in this case power creep] levels of a specific channel/instrument into a mix can spoil everything overall, what is usually a better idea is "cutting" levels which "out perform" instead, bringing them into balance within the mix. Instead of continually boosting things to keep up, why not just bring those that are performing too well so it fits with everything that was already around? This continual power creep just serves to make everything worse at each iteration at every level. Tone it down I say. We've been in diarrhea level for so long now.