Ideas for Elementalist

bowsefuss.1496

Dear Karl,

Hi.My name is Bowborne and I have a very serious passion about archery and fireballs. Both the whiskey and the gigantic flaming balls of molten whatever.Now that’s out of the way, I have two words for you to consider. Longbow. Elementalist.

I frequently stream Guild Wars 2 on Twitch and recently met someone we both know. I (shamelessly) asked this person if we could get longbow as a new weapon for Elementalist in the next expansion and they said, “I dunno, talk to Karl” so here we are.

I’ve put some serious thought into this idea but I’m still thinking of ideas for the utilities and the rest of the specialization. Please rest assured that this is where most of my thoughts go these days.What do I think about when I’m pooping? Ice arrows.What about showering? One big ass meteor after shooting a fire arrow in the sky.And working out? A wall of earth that blocks projectilesWhen I was a teenager I played A LOT of D&D. One of the things I spent most of my time on was my Wizard/Ranger that eventually turned into an Arcane Archer but I’ve not experienced this joy since. For a very long and lonely decade I haven’t both been able to shoot arrows and fireballs at my enemies. ESO came pretty close with the fact that I could both play Sorcerer and use a bow, but let’s be honest ESO doesn’t have any marbles on Guild Wars 2.

The best part? You need an archery consult? RIGHT HERE (It’s me) Slight language warning.https://clips.twitch.tv/CourageousCrackyFlyDxAbomb

Here’s the point Karl, can I call you Karl? I hope so. I desperately want to see this happen in this game. I will do literally anything it takes for this to even become a possibility. If you’d like to talk privately I have a discord, a twitter, and all of that other social media nonsense.

PLEASE READ THIS KARL

Below are some examples of what some of the abilities could look like. I paid a lot for this professional artist, so at least if nothing else, we have this magnificent art.

https://imgur.com/a/0BuOZZdhttps://imgur.com/a/xKMIJVbhttps://imgur.com/a/28HSs4khttps://imgur.com/a/EU1rNvx

XOXOBowborne

@Cyrin.1035 said:Karl did a brilliant job on the Weaver. You can feel how much went into designing it. If he brings that same passion to the Longbow Ele it would be one of the most fun/satisfying elite specs ever.

I was thinking the same thing!!! I just need this to happen, and I think it would be a really cool thing for any MMO do. I just hope it's in the one that I want to spend all my time in haha

On a serious note...

Longbow is the most logical choice for elementalist next weapon.Long range, 2 handed, single target.

We got long range aoe with staff;We got mid range burst with scepter;We got short range PBAoE with dagger;We got melee range with sword;We got OH defense with focus;We got OH offense with dagger;We got OH support with warhorn;

We had an OH Elite spec with tempest warhorn...We had a MH Elite spec with weaver sword...

We have shortbow, hammer, axe, shield and greatsword conjures...

So, unless they give a weapon we can already conjure (very lame, IMO), we have mace, pistols, rifle and longbow.Dual pistols could be really fun as an elemental spell-slinger type. But pistols are usually mid-range burst and we have that with scepter.Rifle and Longbow are both long range single target 2 handed weapons, with the longbow fitting the current elementalist setup more.

So unless they plan to give the ele some more modern tech (pistols or riffle) or a weapon we can already conjure, or another MH melee weapon (mace - pls NO), we should be getting a longbow.

well, here's my prior thoughts on a longbow spec: Celestial... the longbow skills are based off of some Guild Wars 1 skills from various classes, and the utilities are based on the idea of the warrior's adrenaline, but then buffing the utilities with additional benefits per tier of charge... i link to the thread here not to toot my own horn (even though i drive an 18-wheeler and kids ask me to toot my horn all the time :-) ) but rather to hopefully spark some more creativity among the community. I'm absolutely positive that folks can come up with some stuff that's even cooler than my own ideas ;-)

celestial using longbow:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/857/suggestion-celestial-elite-spec/

a summoner using a mace:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/819/suggestion-the-summoner-elite-spec/

a warden using pistols: the pistol skill ideas are not in the OP, but a few posts down...https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/33476/suggestion-elite-spec-warden-wip/

Dear Karl before doing something plz:

-no elite class with downsides like all rest of elite specs on other classes-no clunky elite mechanics-no channelling skills on low hp class-with it's own non water based condi clense-with access to fury with one button like everyone else-with access to quickness with one button like everyone else-with no pve based reworks that demolish our build diversity somewhere else than pve-that was made is consideration of what other new elite specs will offer in new pvp meta

Cause you know there are other areas of this game that are non-npc-golem-benchmarked...and we are really fed up hearing that we are half-potential or meme on pvp pro's streams.

Thank you

• 9 months later...

@"Sideswipe.5130" said:"If they make a Long bow elementalist, id never play any other spec or class ever again!" Bow said this on stream, and I am inclined to agree with this genius idea!!!!

It's literally what ele is lacking, a proper single target build that scepter weaver failed being after nerfs.

I am just afraid of close combat, given how we lack weapon swap, which would limit the dueling ability. Maybe they can introduce it in a ranged-melee way, like skill 2 and 4 are melee, something like that would make it good at both range and melee because as of now, we're one of the two because of weapon swap, and even with it, the weapons aren't really great enough + each weapon has a build of its own.

@Cyrin.1035 said:Karl did a brilliant job on the Weaver. You can feel how much went into designing it. If he brings that same passion to the Longbow Ele it would be one of the most fun/satisfying elite specs ever.

Hmm ... can't tell if serious or sarcasm here... weaver is pretty controversial about its design amoung the GW2 population tho.

@Auburner.6945 said:I am just afraid of close combat, given how we lack weapon swap, which would limit the dueling ability. Maybe they can introduce it in a ranged-melee way, like skill 2 and 4 are melee, something like that would make it good at both range and melee because as of now, we're one of the two because of weapon swap, and even with it, the weapons aren't really great enough + each weapon has a build of its own.

oooooor make some of the skills melee with avaiding frame. Example : shoot a tornado arrow at your feets and being pushed away (melee enemies knockback 300 range)

or / and planting an arrow barehand in the ground and making some sort of earthquake that KD melee enemies or pulling it in . (could be use on combo with the precedent air skill right after :D) ... Hmm maybe I've played archer on BDO too much .

in other word some dynamic mechanics and not a spam 1 or spam rapid fire weapon.

@Auburner.6945 said:I am just afraid of close combat, given how we lack weapon swap, which would limit the dueling ability. Maybe they can introduce it in a ranged-melee way, like skill 2 and 4 are melee, something like that would make it good at both range and melee because as of now, we're one of the two because of weapon swap, and even with it, the weapons aren't really great enough + each weapon has a build of its own.

The weapon for the next elite could be Longbow while it's design could involve weapon swapping, or range swapping. Even though Weaver has it's flaws, it's still an intricate elite spec with tons of flavor to it. If that type of creativity is applied to a longbow elite, then I wouldn't worry about it

@bowsefuss.1496 said:When I was a teenager I played A LOT of D&D. One of the things I spent most of my time on was my Wizard/Ranger that eventually turned into an Arcane Archer but I’ve not experienced this joy since. For a very long and lonely decade I haven’t both been able to shoot arrows and fireballs at my enemies. ESO came pretty close with the fact that I could both play Sorcerer and use a bow, but let’s be honest ESO doesn’t have any marbles on Guild Wars 2.

Ever tried Divinity: Original Sin 2? That might scratch your itch for longbows and flaming balls of fire.

@lLobo.7960 said:On a serious note...

Longbow is the most logical choice for elementalist next weapon.Long range, 2 handed, single target.

We got long range aoe with staff;We got mid range burst with scepter;We got short range PBAoE with dagger;We got melee range with sword;We got OH defense with focus;We got OH offense with dagger;We got OH support with warhorn;

We had an OH Elite spec with tempest warhorn...We had a MH Elite spec with weaver sword...

So, unless they give a weapon we can already conjure (very lame, IMO), we have mace, pistols, rifle and longbow.Dual pistols could be really fun as an elemental spell-slinger type. But pistols are usually mid-range burst and we have that with scepter.Rifle and Longbow are both long range single target 2 handed weapons, with the longbow fitting the current elementalist setup more.

Hmm. I mean if we're playing this angle I'd rather go with rifle since we can already conjure a bow based weapon and let Karl and the devs work their magic like they did with dagger.

It would be unique and it'd give them a relatively blank slate to make their own cool thing out of it. Rifle mage just isn't something you hear about much. I love the creativity of the team and I'm sure they could make it something really cool.

I don't oppose a longbow spec (because I don't really care about the logistics personally as opposed to the cool factor) but the argument that it's a unique choice doesn't stand given Conjure Frost Bow is a thing.

Rifle would be a far more unique choice if we're trying to go for unique and not often done.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@lLobo.7960 said:On a serious note...

So, unless they give a weapon we can already conjure (very lame, IMO), we have mace, pistols, rifle and longbow.Dual pistols could be really fun as an elemental spell-slinger type. But pistols are usually mid-range burst and we have that with scepter.Rifle and Longbow are both long range single target 2 handed weapons, with the longbow fitting the
current
elementalist setup more.

Hmm. I mean if we're playing this angle I'd rather go with rifle since we can already conjure a bow based weapon and let Karl and the devs work their magic like they did with dagger.

It would be unique and it'd give them a relatively blank slate to make their own cool thing out of it. Rifle mage just isn't something you hear about much. I love the creativity of the team and I'm sure they could make it something really cool.

I don't oppose a longbow spec (because I don't really care about the logistics personally as opposed to the cool factor) but the argument that it's a unique choice doesn't stand given Conjure Frost Bow is a thing.

Rifle would be a far more unique choice if we're trying to go for unique and not often done.

Frostbow is a shortbow though. While I'm a bigger fan of lb than rifle, having some kind of LoL's Graves ulti as fire skill 5 would be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

@Yannir.4132 said:

@bowsefuss.1496 said:When I was a teenager I played A LOT of D&D. One of the things I spent most of my time on was my Wizard/Ranger that eventually turned into an Arcane Archer but I’ve not experienced this joy since. For a very long and lonely decade I haven’t both been able to shoot arrows and fireballs at my enemies. ESO came pretty close with the fact that I could both play Sorcerer and use a bow, but let’s be honest ESO doesn’t have any marbles on Guild Wars 2.

Ever tried Divinity: Original Sin 2? That might scratch your itch for longbows and flaming balls of fire.

My friends keep telling me I need to play it, with the recommendation from you now I HAVE to!!

Okay new plan:Replace Conjure Frost Bow with Conjure Frost Rifle and then give Ele a longbow! Haha.

• 8 months later...

@"bowsefuss.1496" said:Friendly bump of this subjectively genius idea. You know, as we keep talking about new weapon specializations!

Have a look: An Elite spec suggestion that gives Ele the Long-bow and (in combat) weapon-swap with physical utility skills for mobility and control.A martial take on the elementalist where attunements become like fight styles adding effects to weapon skills (similar to glyph of elemental power, or how evasive arcana gives different effects to dodge based on attunement) instead of giving new skills.