Upcoming Balance Changes

Jethro.9376

umm flat damage increase almost always work out better than crit chance, even with high ferocity considered. Hence you see most food/utility/sigil go for power rather than crit chance when you have to make a choice.

Especially the difference is only 16% crit chance when not in shroud (guarantee cap 100% while in shroud), which is like ~50% of the time.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important queston: Does Soul Eater heal in shroud?

If yes: I might think about a knights / commander reaper again as thougness/healing/damage increase might carry that gear.

Since focus4 siphons health too I see no reason to switch to warhorn unless running dagger/warhorn+axe/focus, which will still be inferior to a axe/x+gs setup, esp. now where we can pull from 900 range.

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:umm flat damage increase almost always work out better than crit chance, even with high ferocity considered. Hence you see most food/utility/sigil go for power rather than crit chance when you have to make a choice.

Especially the difference is only 16% crit chance when not in shroud (guarantee cap 100% while in shroud), which is like ~50% of the time.

Taking the new trait would result in 16% less critchance out of shroud.A gravedigger that doesn't crit is a wasted skill.

And if you actually equip for crit, so you are at 66% you loose 246power and 5% critdamage (assuming taking the 100power,70precision food)

Even if you do 30000 damage per second, which is extremely unlikely in things like PvP (and out of Shroud in general), Soul Eater would "only" heal you for 1500 HP per second, assuming it doesn't have an ICD. I see 300-500 heal per second while on the offensive as more realistic there.

It's definitely a good buff over the fixed 200 Health per second from before, but I don't see 5% heal from damage to be gamebreaking in any mode, especially if it doesn't heal in Shroud (but even then), which is where you do the majority of your damage as Reaper, while mainly kiting and trying to stay alive/survive being focused and perma CC'd out of Shroud.So this won't really help you out with that, and Reaper is still countered the same way with the same effectiveness.Especially since you have to be in Melee to receive the heal from damage done in the first place, you can't kite around and heal up from range.

Capping crit chance with other ways (maybe some assassin pieces and or Accuracy Sigil), or not quite capping it and relying on Death Perception for just capping in Shroud, will most likely be worth the 10% multiplicative damage modifier over Decimate Defenses. In sPvP, I already wasn't running DD as I preferred the CD reduction, so this will be a 100% pick for me.

@"Asum.4960" said:Even if you do 30000 damage per second, which is extremely unlikely in things like PvP (and out of Shroud in general), Soul Eater would "only" heal you for 1500 HP per second, assuming it doesn't have an ICD. I see 300-500 heal per second while on the offensive as more realistic there.

It's definitely a good buff over the fixed 200 Health per second from before, but I don't see 5% heal from damage to be gamebreaking in any modeYou are ignoring synergies.

This trait is meant to supplement Blighter's Boon and Blood Magic healing effects. That's a basic game design rule. Lot's of minor effects which allow a lot of finetuning from pure glass over bruiser up to full sustain.

Trait Blood Magic, Soul Eater and Blighter's Boon, cast Locust Swarm and enter shroud. There you have you low damage high leeching reaper.

Soul Eater and the Locust Swarm rework will also benefit Dagger/Warhorn builds to be leeching oriented. Something that was asked for in this forum a few times.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"NICENIKESHOE.7128" said:umm flat damage increase almost always work out better than crit chance, even with high ferocity considered. Hence you see most food/utility/sigil go for power rather than crit chance when you have to make a choice.

Taking the new trait would result in 16% less critchance out of shroud.A gravedigger that doesn't crit is a wasted skill.

This statement is objectively false. There's an interesting thread you can read up on back in January. Basically a theory thread calculating how much power you can go before sacrificing too much precision.

Assuming gravedigger damage to be 4000 base damage in a full zerk build with food. Using the equationAverage damage = (Base damage)x(1 - Critical Chance) + (Base Damage)x(Critical Chance x Critical Damage)where crit chance can be 54 + 20 + 9 + 5 = 88%A gravedigger with 100% crit chance would be, on average (very important!), doing 4000 x (1-1) + 4000 x (1 x 2.29) = 9160 damageA gravedigger with 88% crit chance but no modifier would be, on average, doing 4000 x (1 - 0.88) + 4000 x (0.88 x 2.29) = 8540.8 damageBut if we consider 10% more damage on that 8540.8 value we get up to 9394.88 damage.Therefore it is not wasted. And the closer the crit chance to cap without any sacrifices, the better you are at going for modifiers.

This is not even considering how the damage modifier also affects other damage skills while in shroud. Keep in mind ghastly claws and gravedigger only does roughly 30-35% of total damage on a golem while rest of the skills are mostly used then transformed into shroud. Reaper auto does roughly 25-28% while soul spiral does 12%; rest like well of suffering, locust swarm and nightfall are used right before transform into reaper.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Asum.4960" said:Even if you do 30000 damage per second, which is extremely unlikely in things like PvP (and out of Shroud in general), Soul Eater would "only" heal you for 1500 HP per second, assuming it doesn't have an ICD. I see 300-500 heal per second while on the offensive as more realistic there.

It's definitely a good buff over the fixed 200 Health per second from before, but I don't see 5% heal from damage to be gamebreaking in any modeYou are ignoring synergies.

This trait is meant to supplement Blighter's Boon and Blood Magic healing effects. That's a basic game design rule. Lot's of minor effects which allow a lot of finetuning from pure glass over bruiser up to full sustain.

Trait Blood Magic, Soul Eater and Blighter's Boon, cast Locust Swarm and enter shroud. There you have you low damage high leeching reaper.

Soul Eater and the Locust Swarm rework will also benefit Dagger/Warhorn builds to be leeching oriented. Something that was asked for in this forum a few times.

Because they are ignorable, aside from simply stacking additive healing effects without multiplying factors not being synergistic in nature.

If you want sustain, you are not going to play Necro or especially Reaper.You would sacrifice way to much damage to get fairly lacklustre sustain.

@LucianDK.8615 said:And where will such a leech build be useful? and can you even leech in shroud?I am talking about mechanics and not about viability. Don't mix things up here. Underpowered mechanics can be adressed in further balance patches, but therefore they have to exist in the first place.

Yes you can leech in shroud. Do you even play necro?

@Asum.4960 said:If you want sustain, you are not going to play Necro or especially Reaper.You would sacrifice way to much damage to get fairly lacklustre sustain.I kill any berserker or marauder reaper on this planet with a soldier/berserker gear mix. Glass reaper is trash and hardcountered by power builds on any other class. People running this garbage is the main reason why everyone complains about sustain issues on reaper.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Asum.4960" said:If you want sustain, you are not going to play Necro or especially Reaper.You would sacrifice way to much damage to get fairly lacklustre sustain.I kill any berserker or marauder reaper on this planet with a soldier/berserker gear mix. Glass reaper is trash and hardcountered by power builds on any other class. People running this garbage is the main reason why everyone complains about sustain issues on reaper.

The issue Reaper has is getting CC locked and bursted. Non of your Blood Magic and Blighters Boon sustain counters that, while Burst Reapers at least have a fighting chance if they can CC lock and burst the opponent first.

Plus Paladins Amulet is pretty commonly run on Burst Reapers.Not sure why anyone would run Reaper full Zerker.

The only thing that can protect you against the power bursts going around these days is duration blocks or invulns, otherwise it's counter CC and burst. You just got to make sure you do that first and play around most other specs having access to those counters, especially when it comes to committing to when to go into Shroud.Healing a few hundred HP per second does nothing to counter repeated 10-20k bursts coupled with chain CC, while taking that "sustain" severely diminishes your capability of punishing those downtimes of hard defenses in opposing players.

@Brujeria.7536 said:I hope the heal from Souleater works in shroud, that would do wonders.

I hope it doesn't. Not only would it conflict with blighters boon and make it look weak, it would be too strong. Think back to why BB only works with your own boons and the reason they gave for it. Would be very similar.

You could also combine them. Could lead to some very nutty sustain that is just going to get nerfed.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Nutty sustain? Not going to do squat against big massive power hits. Like the often loathed revenant hammer.

I'm talking more a general sense, not specific scenarios in specific game modes. If it worked in shroud it would be too strong, especially if combined with blighters boon, which it would completely outshine. Could even throw in the new WH#5 on top for more hp+lf gain. All while taking reduced damage and your HP being safe.

I would be happy if it has no ICD and just works out of shroud. Necro, specifically reaper, should gain a whole bunch of health gain as long as the numbers on WH#5 and F#4 aren't terrible.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:Nutty sustain? Not going to do squat against big massive power hits. Like the often loathed revenant hammer.

I'm talking more a general sense, not specific scenarios in specific game modes. If it worked in shroud it would be too strong, especially if combined with blighters boon, which it would completely outshine. Could even throw in the new WH#5 on top for more hp+lf gain. All while taking reduced damage and your HP being safe.

I would be happy if it has no ICD and just works out of shroud. Necro, specifically reaper, should gain a whole bunch of health gain as long as the numbers on WH#5 and F#4 aren't terrible.

But surely it would tank your damage output to go leech.?

@LucianDK.8615 said:

But surely it would tank your damage output to go leech.?

considering wh/focus is already used with axe, there isnt any loss there. The trait is also general and already taken in a lot of cases and likely more since it now comes with a 10% damage boost ( the trait technically double dips with itself ). There is almost no real loss for the leech we're about to gain. Which is why i said as long as the numbers on the WH#5 and F#4 aren't terrible it will be interesting to see. Especially the damage values since traditional life siphon can't crit.

I can see a couple builds coming out of this on core with the weapon changes along and reaper already with the trait.

Maybe I am being overly simplistic here but considering reaper has no disengage, no ultra heal, no blocks, no invulnerability, and it's defence mechanic needs to have life force built in fighting and is on a 10 second cooldown, I honestly do hope it heals through shroud. How often do you come across a guard that pops invulnerability and then pops back to full health after? Or Holosmith? I don't think I need to mention scrapper or warrior as they're also obvious cases.

This sustain will require you to be in the thick of battle, using a resource you do not generate automatically that's locked behind 10 seconds, and ultimately won't be that game breaking at all. We're talking 5% here and the damage you will be dealing in competitive modes will be much less than in PvE. Even combined with BB and blood magic it will not be enough to out sustain any form of meaningful burst. All this will really do is help us stay alive better, but not reach bunker scrapper levels.

Let's be honest here ... Anet isn't going to implement a heal in a trait that is going to do lots of squat on massive power hits in the first place. So when people think of the sustain they can obtain with such a trait, the big massive power hits shouldn't be their measuring stick to evaluate how good they are. You're still going to have to revert back to be the bigger impact defenses to avoid/mitigate big massive power hits ... and that's how it should always be.

The big question for me is if Soul Eater will have an ICD. If it doesn't it's going to be pretty awesome with a Dagger/WH.

@Jethro.9376 said:

@Galmac.4680 said:So, what is the difference if I destroy an incoming projectile or block it?

There are unblockable skills and traits that make skills unblockable. Destroy a projectile = no damage at all.

Not entirely true. Unblockable skills ignore projectile destruction as well. This actually is a bit of a buff, albeit in an absurdly niche scenario, since now Necros can sometimes benefit from Rune of the Defender.