dungeons, players waiting and no groups

Every time I look for dungeon groups I have trouble finding them as well. But for some reason others claim to have no problem finding groups and seem like there are always people just waiting for others to join. I just must play at inopportune times.

What it boils down to people don't want to "lead" a path that they are not comfortable with so in turn you have bunch of people just waiting for others to take the first step. Youtube is your friend. I always have it up in another window on a speed run of a particular path I am trying. Just in case if I have trouble with a particular path. Arah can get confusing if you have not done it in years.

Maybe posting a message in /map would be the best way to find someone to take the lead on a path that you're not comfortable with?I reached 80 recently and haven't done the explorable dungeon yet (haven't even done all the story dungeons ^^'), but when I'll get there, as a solo player, that's probably the first thing I will try.

@"Excursion.9752" said:Every time I look for dungeon groups I have trouble finding them as well. But for some reason others claim to have no problem finding groups and seem like there are always people just waiting for others to join.

It's a combination of a math problem obscured by cognitive dissonance. Neither group is able to see things from the perspective of the other.

• Those who trust the system know that if they post "LF More for [insert dungeon], it will fill up quickly, including experienced dungeoneers. Those adverts disappear nearly instantly; it doesn't much depend on when.
  • Those who aren't confident wait for someone else to post. This very much depends on when one posts and how often one refreshes the listings.

The first group thinks, "this is really easy; I can't imagine anyone having trouble finding others." The second group thinks, "dungeons are dead, no one does them any more." The second group is factually incorrect, despite their observations. The first group has the facts without being able to account for the observations of those approaching dungeons from a different direction.

@Linken.6345 said:They dont want to post in the lfg (becouse somehow that make them the leader and in the spotlight) so they wait for the mythical next guy to do it so they can join.

This^^ partially. A lot of it has to do with people being unlucky in the groups they do get. I'm in a small, tight-knit guild and we do at least a few or more dungeons a week and one of the things we've encountred of late have been people coming into a dungeon when we've advertised, 'exploration(whatever the path) anybody welcomed' and the moment they get in and see that we're level eighty they either bolt or they ask if it's alright that they stay. Bit of a shock for us when that happens but I guess even in this deprecated game mode there's still some toxicity left over and it's a bit of a mixed bag for a lot of people entering the queues alone for the first time.

It's a shame that the game doesn't actively encourage grouping or community more and earlier on when it should - this is why dungeons are needed.

That said, believe it or not there's a solution for those having trouble getting dungeons groups; honesty.

Next time you're looking to get a dungeon run going- assuming you're of the appropriate minimum level, start a group in the queue and advertise thusly, 'New to (this) dungeon(s), need help. Looking to do (insert name of dungeon and whatever path here) all welcome.'

Yes, you might get some trolls, you might also get some bossy types with high AP who try to tell you how to play or want to simply do speed runs, but if you're patient you'll also get the kinder, more helpful people that are still kicking around in game. Plenty of people will still go out of their way to help you find your footings. Just ask.

And who knows? You might even find a group of people similar to yourself who wouldn't have tried to get a group going for fear of not being 'good enough' and make some new friends learning the dungeon, even if you fail the first go round.

For what it's worth,I saw someone in NA post in /map that they were looking for four more for HotW p1 or p2. This was within 60 minutes of reset, today. I double checked that they were also in LFG (they were). About 11 minutes elapsed between the /map request and the LFG being closed; they added a new person about every other minute.

Imagine if that was (for some reason) the only LFG for HotW up during that hour, then for over 45 minutes, people who check LFG without posting their own party could think, "no one does dungeons."

Obviously, it's useless as data for determining what's really going on. I only mention it as an example of how our perceptions might not match reality, since we only see things through a narrowly-focused lens.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said

• Those who trust the system know that if they post "LF More for [insert dungeon], it will fill up quickly, including experienced dungeoneers. Those adverts disappear nearly instantly; it doesn't much depend on when.

This is not my experience at all. My experience is posting, 'p123 80 exp', frequently getting people who are not level 80, who are in condi gear (i.e. not exp), of just not filling to 5/5 all together in a reasonable time scale. idk if your EU or NA, I'm NA, could be different on EU.

@thrag.9740 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said

This is not my experience at all. My experience is posting, 'p123 80 exp', frequently getting people who are not level 80, who are in condi gear (i.e. not exp), of just not filling to 5/5 all together in a reasonable time scale. idk if your EU or NA, I'm NA, could be different on EU.

I think our experience is the same, while our
expectations
are not.

I would not expect there to be any difference between posting "p123 80 exp" and posting "Looking for More for P1." In both cases, I would expect to get all sorts, including people who don't know what "p123 80 exp" means. I expect that those who are experienced would find others who are experienced using other means or use a more definitive filter.

So when I referred to "people who trust the system," I did assume that those folks would realize that dungeon LFGs are even more likely than fractal/t4 and raid LFGs to get people so anxious to join that they don't bother to check for requirements. Generally, I won't even open up dungeon LFG to PUGs unless I'm prepared for us to go slow.

tl;dr I apologize for the ambiguity of my wording; I think we just expect different things from PUGging dungeons.

it's the same for fracs

everyone is waiting for others to make a group because they are not skilled enough to be a partyleader (not that is even a thing in gw2)then when i put need "support-dps exp p+f" you get all kinds of clowns

a guy using that pippermint food (+gold + magic find) i mean ye it's food ok i got it, but how exactly will this aid your dps?

imo it's just a lack of skill,a lack of respect, or both.

when u put a lfg how hard is it to say something when you join, even a simple "hi, i'm dps" would be fine so i can atleast adjust my lfg to better reflect what i need.or when 2 dps joins at same time then it's a mexican standoff.who will swapwho will leavesudden silence, no one says or does a thing..forcing me to kick someone and then i'm the bad guy

lucky for me this is only an issue every two weeks, due to my workshifts :p my static group for when i have early shift, "happy pugging" when i have the night

@lare.5129 said:I found way to prevent siliend in dungions few years ago:1)find guild2)on guild chat ask who want go specific dungion. take at less 2 plaeyrs.if not 5/5 start as is, and open lfg.

you forgot step 3

3) if the guild chat is silent several times you plea, quit the guild and repeat step 1-3 until you join a helpful guild.

There are simply not enough interest in dungeons these days. LFG for raid w1 or w4fc full clear would take less amount of time to fill than looking for enough experienced players to speed clear three paths of AC, SE or TA, much less the more obscure HotW or Arah. Before HoT, it took between 1-5 mins to fill any dungeon groups but now that crowd once populated and profited off dungeons has moved on.

So what is the compromise? If you only look to finish a dungeon path for the daily, take anyone. HoT and PoF empower players enough to brute force through the dungeons. You can kill almost every trash mobs and still manage to be fast and efficient. Spoilers alert: skipping isn't any longer better. Trash mobs are where your main loots at.

If you want to speed clear? Make a point to speed clear all the paths and prep a static group for efficiency. You waste so much time on the LFG waiting for and filtering through candidates just for mere 20 mins of speed clearing 3 paths.

I am don't try steal content from new players, or make is scalable and separate all parts of gw2.

@Iris Ng.9845 said:There are simply not enough interest in dungeons these days. LFG for raid w1 or w4fc full clear would take less amount of time to fill than looking for enough experienced players to speed clear three paths of AC, SE or TAspeed run? this is dungion! half players in party from my guild is <50 lv and have one first character. And this is not speed run. And people what was go enough.

So what is the compromise? If you only look to finish a dungeon path for the daily, take anyone.yes. Why not?

If you want to speed clear?If I want find for cms run 3 exp scourges whit 351 kp A also have way to wait, or take any body whit 50kp and start run. So anyone should do same choose.

I have no idea why people are so phobic of "leading" groups. Especially in GW2, where you don't even get to lead groups. You don't have the power to decide who comes into your group, don't have the power to decide who stays, and can even be kicked out of your own group. Additionally, most 5 man dungeon groups simply involve running through at max speed. You are not required to "lead" anything, and experienced players are simply going to run ahead and do what they want because they already know how the dungeon works.

@"gateless gate.8406" said:I have no idea why people are so phobic of "leading" groups. Especially in GW2, where you don't even get to lead groups. You don't have the power to decide who comes into your group, don't have the power to decide who stays, and can even be kicked out of your own group. Additionally, most 5 man dungeon groups simply involve running through at max speed. You are not required to "lead" anything, and experienced players are simply going to run ahead and do what they want because they already know how the dungeon works.

gross ignorance due to casual player mentality of being insecure about being not good enough and being bullied and diminished social and leadership skills caused by modern day push button communications technology in a non-group environment in private life. the bad sided reason is shear laziness.

@MysticReaper.4318 said:

@Linken.6345 said:They dont want to post in the lfg (becouse somehow that make them the leader and in the spotlight) so they wait for the mythical next guy to do it so they can join.

i see. tyvm. but i still can't believe a group of guildies couldn't form a group. i wonder what kind of guild they are in.

It's not uncommon, everyone is busy doing their thing. Maybe the rest of guildies are doing the metas, raids, facts, etc

@"gateless gate.8406" said:I have no idea why people are so phobic of "leading" groups. Especially in GW2, where you don't even get to lead groups. You don't have the power to decide who comes into your group, don't have the power to decide who stays, and can even be kicked out of your own group. Additionally, most 5 man dungeon groups simply involve running through at max speed. You are not required to "lead" anything, and experienced players are simply going to run ahead and do what they want because they already know how the dungeon works.

I think people are just afraid of being expected to have knowledge or skill that they don't actually possess. I actually make a point of joining every single "new player first time" LFGs I can, just to reward new folks for being straightforward and unafraid.

@MysticReaper.4318 said:

I did this sooo many times. :o

i am very respectfully curious. why are you nervous or hesitant to use lfg? did other mmos influence it?

It takes too long to find people and then go through it.Dungeons are being run in majority by low lvls, but these are so difficult i dont feel like to wait an hour to create a group and try doing it. So i just from time to time watch at LFG list and join one if there is while doing some other stuff on the alt tab.

@KelyNeli.4516 said:

I did this sooo many times. :o

i am very respectfully curious. why are you nervous or hesitant to use lfg? did other mmos influence it?

It takes too long to find people and then go through it.Dungeons are being run in majority by low lvls, but these are so difficult i dont feel like to wait an hour to create a group and try doing it. So i just from time to time watch at LFG list and join one if there is while doing some other stuff on the alt tab.

ok. tyvm for answering.