Any changes to Necro roaming in WvW with Warclaw?

EremiteAngel.9765

Are you guys finding it easier to handle shoot and kite classes like Rangers and Deadeyes after the patch?I've not tried it myself (kinda retired from roaming, more into zerging now).But theoretically, deadeyes got their invis uptime nerfed which should be a good thing.And we should be able to close the gap on rangers easier now with the warclaw without taking 20K rapid fire damage from 1800 range.

The whole game mode is a mess at the moment. Too many people running around without a clue and everyone is just following the karmatrain for the mount achievement.

What I can say up to now is that in own territory you are pretty safe now to encounters. Here a triple dodge towards a target should bring you in melee ange to everything before it can dismont you. On the other hand you should be able to run away from everything when spamming a triple dodge. I like that.

Looking at the patch history it's obvious that anet does not care about problematic class mechanics like mobility and long stealth durations in wvw, but instead introduces global mechanics (mark effect, mount mobility) to weaken these.

It's clear that they try to prevent ganking and promote other playstyles (less hit and run, more stational teamfights) with these mechanics. Necros are probably the class that benefits the most from it.

All in all yesterday was a great day for necromancers.

Not enough people have it and the game mode is a mess everyone is pretty much trying to at least get the base mount

I got it already and it does improve roaming speed over all even when slowed down in enemy areas its still faster than running with swiftness not to mention you can use the dodge ability to speed things along. Getting in fights is super easy with it although getting out you still need to first get out of combat

To answer your question once everyone has it necro will remain in the same spot Trying to catch a kiting ranger on warclaw assumes you got out of combat and if they also got out of combat and mounted war claw (in their own area) you certainly wouldnt catch them.

Ideally its a faster get around and good for doging through tight spots and you can make some plays with it but overall dont expect necro itself to improve that much because of warclaw.

@"ZDragon.3046" said:in enemy areas its still faster than running with swiftnessEveryone is saying this. I don't know where you all get you speed informations? That is not true! It's much slower than swiftness there.

not to mention you can use the dodge ability to speed things alongThis is not better than a thief shadowstep or a soulbeast leap or a warrior leap or a shiro teleport. They all can dismount you in enemy territory after gapclosing.

Finally they updated the wiki. Maybe people will stop with this now:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warclaw

EDIT:I checked the reddit thread linked in the wiki that did the speed tests. He precised his statement that the mount is 15,6% faster than a player running with swiftness in enemy territory. In my tests I could outrun a mounted player in enemy territory. Maybe I had some speed cap buff on me (superspeed, blessing of the elements). I have to revaluate that.

EDIT2:And the tester found an own mistake: :pScrap what i wrote, its wrong. Didn't keep the speed reduction from being in combat in mind. This takes away 33% of your move speed from base, putting you at 210 u/ s. Add Swiftness to 279 u/ s, x5 + 761 u for five second window translates to 431 u/ s. Matches mount base speed in enemy territory at most, but cannot keep up with its maximum speed due to the endurance ability.

So I was right. The speed in allied territory should be in the game's speedcap and in enemy territory it should be around +25% (swiftness: +33%).

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"ZDragon.3046" said:in enemy areas its still faster than running with swiftnessEveryone is saying this. I don't know where you all get you speed informations? That is not true! It's much slower than swiftness there.

Uhhh.... Im getting it from running beside my friend who is a rev and has perma swiftness on unmounted lmfao Granted I was not sure if the area was ours or not at the time when I was looking at him areas flipping back and forth pretty often last night so i cant remember but I assumed it was not ours if it was oh well.In any case it can be faster i guess

Finally they updated the wiki. Maybe people will stop with this now:

It is the slowest mount.
  • Its base speed in ally controlled WvW territory (and in PvE) is +37%, which is faster than running on foot with swiftness [...]. Using the endurance ability when available increases average speed to +54%.
  • Its base speed in enemy controlled WvW territory is reduced to +16%, which is slower than running on foot with swiftness. Using the endurance ability when available increases average speed to +34%.I love how you are being so aggressive to really prove a point that technically states I'm not wrong...

Gone are the days of getting popped for 17k+ from someone stealthed with no counter. Now if they want to open on me, they would have to waste their opener on the mount itself, and actually have to fight me for my bag. Inconceivable!

Anyways, loving the mobility we get with the mount. This isn't op because the mobility is out of combat only. So yes we get to choose our engagement rather than have them picked for us.

@KrHome.1920 said:

not to mention you can use the dodge ability to speed things alongThis is not better than a thief shadowstep or a soulbeast leap or a warrior leap or a shiro teleport. They all can dismount you in enemy territory after gapclosing.

EDIT:
I checked the reddit thread linked in the wiki that did the speed tests. He precised his statement that the mount is 15,6% faster than a player running with swiftness in enemy territory. In my tests I could outrun a mounted player in enemy territory. Maybe I had some speed cap buff on me (superspeed, blessing of the elements). I have to revaluate that.

EDIT2:
And the tester found an own mistake: :p
Scrap what i wrote, its wrong. Didn't keep the speed reduction from being in combat in mind. This takes away 33% of your move speed from base, putting you at 210 u/ s. Add Swiftness to 279 u/ s, x5 + 761 u for five second window translates to 431 u/ s. Matches mount base speed in enemy territory at most, but cannot keep up with its maximum speed due to the endurance ability.

So I was right. The speed in allied territory should be in the game's speedcap and in enemy territory it should be around +25% (swiftness: +33%).

Honestly i was playing wvw last night an running through enemy controlled land yet again. And neither me nor the person on foot were in combat we were litterally alone and running in a straight line. I was on the mount and they were not. Yet slowly I passed said person despite them having swfitness.

So either the speed listed are not correct and or the mount is bugged and while the slow down function does happen its not enough to slow you down to the point some one out of combat with swiftness is faster than you on enemy controlled territory.

Now is it considerably faster no.. In a stretch of running maybe 15-20 seconds directly forward I was maybe between 300-600 range ahead nothing that most classes cant gap close but still based on my own experience the mount is out right faster period regardless if your world owns the land or not. (this is not counting movement abilities )

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@ZDragon.3046 said:in enemy areas its still faster than running with swiftnessEveryone is saying this. I don't know where you all get you speed informations? That is not true! It's much slower than swiftness there.

EDIT:
I checked the reddit thread linked in the wiki that did the speed tests. He precised his statement that the mount is 15,6% faster than a player running with swiftness in enemy territory. In my tests I could outrun a mounted player in enemy territory. Maybe I had some speed cap buff on me (superspeed, blessing of the elements). I have to revaluate that.

EDIT2:
Scrap what i wrote, its wrong. Didn't keep the speed reduction from being in combat in mind. This takes away 33% of your move speed from base, putting you at 210 u/ s. Add Swiftness to 279 u/ s, x5 + 761 u for five second window translates to 431 u/ s. Matches mount base speed in enemy territory at most, but cannot keep up with its maximum speed due to the endurance ability.

Honestly i was playing wvw last night an running through enemy controlled land yet again. And neither me nor the person on foot were in combat we were litterally alone and running in a straight line. I was on the mount and they were not. Yet slowly I passed said person despite them having swfitness.

So either the speed listed are not correct and or the mount is bugged and while the slow down function does happen its not enough to slow you down to the point some one out of combat with swiftness is faster than you on enemy controlled territory.

Now is it considerably faster no.. In a stretch of running maybe 15-20 seconds directly forward I was maybe between 300-600 range ahead nothing that most classes cant gap close but still based on my own experience the mount is out right faster period regardless if your world owns the land or not. (this is not counting movement abilities )

Tested it as well. Got same results as you did. Mount is slightly faster than someone with swiftness in enemy territory

@Nimon.7840 said:

@ZDragon.3046 said:in enemy areas its still faster than running with swiftnessEveryone is saying this. I don't know where you all get you speed informations? That is not true! It's much slower than swiftness there.

EDIT:

EDIT2:

Tested it as well. Got same results as you did. Mount is slightly faster than someone with swiftness in enemy territory

To be honest it should be even if its just barely faster. To have a mount be just outright slower than some one on foot even in enemy territory is counter intuitive to the point of the mount to start with don't you think ;)

Overall the mount did its job I had no intent on returning to wvw yet i find myself roaming quite often recently (outside of eternal battle grounds). It did peek my interest to play wvw game mode so.... :astonished:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep actually have fun and not worry about some idiots jumping you attempting to kill yah by shock and awe (stealth and stuns) while you're set up for zerg play. Oh and also being left behind in the tail by bad commanders not supporting the necromancers which sadly been happening since forever #necrolyfe. Basically..... adds a do it myself to the game mode and i see myself logging in wvw way more. (and beside the game mode got stale 4 years ago from the 2015 balance patch) so warclaw only added.

As I dislike the idea on mounts (and fought with OP in several topics) I found it as a disadvantage in some situations and advantage in some.I roamed with reaper for a long time and now trying scourge. But against thieves I can advise you to do a condi burst, not in one going but in intervals. Well of corruption, short bursts of power or condi and fear can destroy thief easily.

For soulbeasts I can say nothing ( have to try scourge for a month to devise a strategy). But whenever someone tells you that necro is a faceroll profession please direct them to soulbeasts (was a ranger main/ dedicated healer with druid).

• 3 weeks later...

It has made me more confident and less paranoid but it hasn't changed much. I'm less concerned with taking a wrong turn in to a group/zerg and I feel less vulnerable when I'm capturing something (supply camp, sentry, etc.) because I can sit on my mount while doing so.

Glass Soulbeasts can still knock you off your mount and kill you before you can even recover and the same can be said for various other professions. I'm usually smart enough to not be in these situations, or at least fast enough to break the stun and get cover/retaliate, but it does still happen from time to time. Just recently I had someone knock me off my mount and put me straight in to downed state almost immediately.

I don't typically struggle with 90% of my encounters regardless but it's nice to be able to decide whether or not I want to take a fight rather than always being forced in to the encounter. That said, I like this as much as I dislike it. I find a lot of players are choosing not to fight because they know they don't have to if they're mounted. I understand not everyone wants to fight and sometimes I let those people go, but you know what, WvW is a battleground and if you come there looking for pillow fights you're gonna be disappointed. So in regard to the passive style of play mounts are promoting, I'm not enjoying that particular aspect. In fact, it aggravates me quite a lot.

Overall, I feel about the same now that I did in the first 10 minutes of using a mount. I'm about 50/50 love/hate. I enjoy the speed at which I can maneuver a map and how much safer I feel while doing so. I don't enjoy people straight up passing by or disengaging completely so they can mount up and dip out.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:It has made me more confident and less paranoid but it hasn't changed much. I'm less concerned with taking a wrong turn in to a group/zerg and I feel less vulnerable when I'm capturing something (supply camp, sentry, etc.) because I can sit on my mount while doing so.

Glass Soulbeasts can still knock you off your mount and kill you before you can even recover and the same can be said for various other professions. I'm usually smart enough to not be in these situations, or at least fast enough to break the stun and get cover/retaliate, but it does still happen from time to time. Just recently I had someone knock me off my mount and put me straight in to downed state almost immediately.

I don't typically struggle with 90% of my encounters regardless but it's nice to be able to decide whether or not I want to take a fight rather than always being forced in to the encounter. That said, I like this as much as I dislike it. I find a lot of players are choosing not to fight because they know they don't have to if they're mounted. I understand not everyone wants to fight and sometimes I let those people go, but you know what, WvW is a battleground and if you come there looking for pillow fights you're gonna be disappointed. So in regard to the passive style of play mounts are promoting, I'm not enjoying that particular aspect. In fact, it aggravates me quite a lot.

Overall, I feel about the same now that I did in the first 10 minutes of using a mount. I'm about 50/50 love/hate. I enjoy the speed at which I can maneuver a map and how much safer I feel while doing so. I don't enjoy people straight up passing by or disengaging completely so they can mount up and dip out.

I find though that as long as one is aware that there is a soulbeast around, and it is a 1 on 1 encounter, even glass ones can't knock you off fast enough to stop you from dismounting right beside them.3 evades is often enough to close the gap even on glass soulbeasts.Even better if they had tried to use their RF to knock you off in the process which means it would be on cooldown when the fight starts =)And I can't believe how much easier the fights are now against them when I get to start the fight beside them.Most can't even last a few rounds against my Condi Chill Reaper running a fun themed build which is not even a proper roaming build lol...