Gem Card at Walmart priced way wrong

I wasn't sure where to put this so please move if it belongs somewhere else.

I was looking at the Walmart website and noticed that they have the Gem Cards at an outrageous price. The card for 2,000 Gems which should be priced at $25 is instead priced at $53.33!

https://walmart.com/ip/NCSOFT-PC-Guild-Wars-2-Gem-Card-2000-Gems/938454339

My local Walmart hasn't had any since early in March. I was told that they would have some on April 16th but today they changed it to May 7th. I don't know what is going on with them but someone needs to tell them to fix their price.

Maybe contact Walmart.

FYI 90% of the time, no one working at the store has accurate information about when they'll get supplies of an item that is not stocked consistently.

What tends to happen is items like this go through peaks & valleys of demand and retailers don't have a good way to handle that.

For example, I was recently at a different big box store asking for an item that was on their website as "available" (and in fine print, further down, the item was listed as "not in stock currently, on back order." Turns out, the manufacturer had discontinued the item 3 months earlier, but the word had only made it as far as the supplier identifying the item as "out of stock," rather than "there never will be any more stock." None of this info was available at the store level, not at their computer, and not when they checked with their regional warehouse. All they had was, "not available right now."

Obviously that's not the specific issue with gem cards at Walmart. I just mean it's typical for the store personnel to be out of the loop about what the supply situation really is. Their computer might show "no longer carried," which turns out to mean, "we changed supplier; we haven't updated the computer yet."

so tl;dr contact Walmart also, let them know you want the item at the real retail priceif you have time, ask to be escalated to a supply/inventory manager rather than a clerk or floor manager.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:it's not sold by Walmart.Sold & shipped by TCH ApparelIt's a marketplace item. And there's only 1 on offer. It also says it's not verified by Walmart.

PS same goes for Amazon... double check when buying whether a gem card (or heck, anything really) is being sold direct, by a supplier, or by a third party.(Some third parties buy retail and ship items at a markup plus handling fees, even when such items might be available to you locally for far less.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:it's not sold by Walmart.
Sold & shipped by TCH Apparel
It's a marketplace item. And there's only 1 on offer. It also says it's not verified by Walmart.

PS same goes for Amazon... double check when buying whether a gem card (or heck, anything really) is being sold direct, by a supplier, or by a third party.(Some third parties buy retail and ship items at a markup plus handling fees, even when such items might be available to you locally for far less.)

There's also people who will buy and sell things they have little understanding of, and if they notice they're the only supplier on the site they'll ramp the price up, hoping the rarity makes it worth more (or hoping a buyer will think so) even if it's an item which really doesn't work that way, like gem cards.

And, just like in MMOs, there are people in real life who will massively overprice their items for no apparent reason, and sometimes those end up being the only ones listed (probably because the rest either sold or were removed). It can be amusing sometimes to switch Amazon listings to 'price: high to low' and see what comes up. Just now I found a PSOne at $1,999.99, a travel pet bowl for $1,199 and my personal favourite, 2 pairs of latex gloves for $3893.08

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:You can tell them yourself by literally clicking the link under the item image that says "Tell us if something is incorrect", and it'll list price being one of them.

Unless gem cards sold in North America are different to the ones they sell in Europe, the proper price is clearly marked on the card. (They might be different, if only because the one I have in front of me has most of the text in French(1).)

(1) I live in France, obviously.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:You can tell them yourself by literally clicking the link under the item image that says "Tell us if something is incorrect", and it'll list price being one of them.

Unless gem cards sold in North America are different to the ones they sell in Europe, the proper price is clearly marked on the card. (They might be different, if only because the one I have in front of me has most of the text in French(1).)

(1) I live in France, obviously.

All stockists online say out of stock in the UK (for the old style gemcard, 940 gems for £10, 1880 gems for £20), but it does state the price on those cards. Struggling to find the newer style of 800/2000 gem cards in the UK online and I'm not going for a wander around today ^.^

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230890448-How-to-use-a-Gem-Card

"Gem amounts are subject to change based on fluctuations in currency conversion rates." I don't think that covers a 50%+ price increase.But as shown, it seems it's a Walmart 3rd party seller. So, just purchase the gems in-game seems to be a better option for the OP.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:You can see that the picture has been doctored, probably to remove the printed price. Lower right corner is rounded as it should be, the rest are squared off.

Indeed. They've cut off the top, just below the black bar (on mine) that says that the card must be activated in-store before use. The price is above that bar.

I would say "avoid this item", and perhaps "avoid this seller".

There's only one kind of gem card that exists right now (at least in my area), and that's the 1200 gems ($15) one, and Gamestop often carries these. Ask them if you do not see them. They had $25 ones before, but you're probably only going to see third-party sellers carry them and jack them up more than what the $25 is worth.