Balance Changes Upcoming

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Methuselah.4376 said:

@ASV.7819 said:NecromancerYou destroy a decent trait Soul Eater depriving reapers of reduced gs cooldown. Reapers won’t say thanks to you. The other necromancer changes doesn’t makes me happy. Necromancers are slow and you make them more slower by halving duration of Locust Swarm.

While your concerns over Locust Swarm are valid (and they SHOULD reduce the CD at least), overall I am happy with Soul Eater. It is still a form of sustain + Dmg boost. As it stands now, the sustain you get from it is meaningless. CD on GS skills is somewhat of a concern in PvP, but honestly you should be aiming to switching weapons and go into shroud as much as possible to keep the enemy off balance.

Noone took the old soul eater before, decimate defenses was just too good. It needed to be redesigned. The complaint is invalid.

@steelrage.2904 said:

@steelrage.2904 said:How mesmer got nerfed AGAIN is beyond me, scrapper didnt get touched which is actually unreal. Really glad we have our priority straight :)

mesmer got quite a buff with the new blinding dissipation ineptitude combo, which now shatters for 16 confusion by just pressing f2 with clones aloneNo one uses ineptitude, deceptive evasion is by far stronger and before you say well I see it in my gold qs!!!! just remember im the best condi mes in the game and currently the highest rated mesmer on na :)

Exactly why Evasive Mirror and Blinding Dissipation are getting nerfed. Evasive Mirror on it's current ICD is far too strong in PvP/WvW. (It's just kinda meh in PvE in my opinion.) That means people will just go back to blinding with shatters for defense but with it switched to just Cry of Frustration it keeps the nerf to the ICD on evasive Mirror in PvE/WvW from not being a useless nerf to Mesmer. Otherwise a lot of people would just pretty much spam Mind Wrack (and other shatters) off CD for the Blinds with the Evasive Mirror ICD being so long.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@ASV.7819 said:NecromancerYou destroy a decent trait Soul Eater depriving reapers of reduced gs cooldown. Reapers won’t say thanks to you. The other necromancer changes doesn’t makes me happy. Necromancers are slow and you make them more slower by halving duration of Locust Swarm.

While your concerns over Locust Swarm are valid (and they SHOULD reduce the CD at least), overall I am happy with Soul Eater. It is still a form of sustain + Dmg boost. As it stands now, the sustain you get from it is meaningless. CD on GS skills is somewhat of a concern in PvP, but honestly you should be aiming to switching weapons and go into shroud as much as possible to keep the enemy off balance.

Noone took the old soul eater before, decimate defenses was just too good. It needed to be redesigned. The complaint is invalid.

A lot of people took the trait in PvP. DD gets ruined be the constant abundant cleanse and CV got killed due to the 2s ICD.

Though because if the change #3 became arguably more useful with range and baked in cool-down as well as #5 no longer technically being a projectile and a 20% range increase. Only skill that really loses out is #4 but it's arguably one of,if not the strongest skills on the weapon.

@Shadow.1345 said:

@steelrage.2904 said:How mesmer got nerfed AGAIN is beyond me, scrapper didnt get touched which is actually unreal. Really glad we have our priority straight :)

mesmer got quite a buff with the new blinding dissipation ineptitude combo, which now shatters for 16 confusion by just pressing f2 with clones aloneNo one uses ineptitude, deceptive evasion is by far stronger and before you say well I see it in my gold qs!!!! just remember im the best condi mes in the game and currently the highest rated mesmer on na :)

Exactly why Evasive Mirror and Blinding Dissipation are getting nerfed. Evasive Mirror on it's current ICD is far too strong in PvP/WvW. (It's just kinda meh in PvE in my opinion.) That means people will just go back to blinding with shatters for defense but with it switched to just Cry of Frustration it keeps the nerf to the ICD on evasive Mirror in PvE/WvW from not being a useless nerf to Mesmer. Otherwise a lot of people would just pretty much spam Mind Wrack (and other shatters) off CD for the Blinds with the Evasive Mirror ICD being so long.

Oh no, four blinds. Prot Holos and Scrapper literally have that as a passive.

@Vagrant.7206 said:Wow, the negative overreactions are unreal on this thread. People are screaming the death of their chosen spec/profession.

@stone cold.8609 said:Thank you for the early communication about the balance patch changes! I very much appreciate the transparency and hope this becomes the norm.

Also, thank you for making the Scrapper Gyros work underwater! After the most recent changes, Scrapper is actually viable in PvE. Good job!

The changes to Berserker look interesting as well. I look forward to trying a power Berserker build.

Viable in what way and role? So far ive not heard anyone speaking of them as a proper dps spec.

Scrapper has a pretty viable healer build in PvE. I haven't seen DPS builds for it in PvE though.

@"kappa.2036" said:Speaking about "trade-offs"... where are the trade-offs on firebrand and chrono, for example? Firebrand gets 15 new skills just by choosing the spec, and also chrono gets the F5 without consequences. I don't understand honestly.Chronomancer is virtually a worse alacrity/quickness bot than renegade/firebrand and has the second lowest damage in the game after druid.

These are their trade offs. They give up being DPS specs (they even murdered power chrono DPS last patch) to become utility bots.

Due to design all guardian specs already fit the trade-off method.

When you look at chrono though...druid is similar but it still saw a trade off added. As it stands when you look at class mechanics, what they are targeting , chrono is still a straight gain above base mesmer. They just gain F5, nothing is lost at a class mechanic level.They are probably looking for a better way than making f4 CS instead of distortion when you pick the spec as that would case
SUCH
an uproar.

Well, base mesmer was irrelevant trash outside portal skips in PvE dungeons, so with chrono they tried giving mesmer a gain that might make them actually wanted for a group in HoT.

If chrono had not existed, mesmer wouldn't have seen the light of day until PoF with mirage.

Some core professions are way worse than other core professions. Ele and warrior and thief still work as core professions because they were always competitive DPS specs since core vanilla. Classes like core ranger/mesmer/necro/revenant were just gimmicks.

Core mesmer became irrelevant because both mirage and chrono are straight upgrades to core mesmer. There is no tradeoff to choosing these elite specs besides opportunity cost.

@"DeceiverX.8361" said:The opening talks about trade-offs, especially in relation to the elite specs, and yet I'm seeing none.

Almost none of these changes actually come with much of a real consequence. Like a few build concepts might get nerfed oh so slightly, but all that's really been done here is buff core a little in some areas where the scope of these changes will still have no effect.

Sorry, but these changes alone miss the mark entirely.

If you want to fix diversity and actually improve the game, the elite specs need to be downright kneecapped. All of them.

The preambles for a lot of these posts illustrate future changes they'd like to make. Reworking elite spec mechanics to have tradeoffs takes a lot more work than you might think. For example... scrapper's elite mechanic "function gyro" has no tradeoff, but the mechanic itself is also weak, so how do you make a tradeoff without rendering the mechanic useless?

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:So... when do Soulbeast, Holo, Scrapper, and Spellbreaker get the Mesmer treatment?

When every single group in PvE and PvP requires them. :grin:

@mortrialus.3062 said:No Scrapper or Holosmith nerfs either. Spellbreakers will still be outrunning Sonic the Hedgehog. Sic Em Sniper and Unblockable Union are one of the most toxic interactions in PvP right now and both are still untouched. 30k rapid fires are A-Ok but 10k Confusing Image Crits are unacceptable.

Seriously though, the minor trait that reduces Berserker's Toughness while they're in Berserk Mode should also be put onto one of Holosmith's minor traits so that it forces them to be the high risk, high reward glass cannon they were designed to be as well now that we're crossing that threshold.

Fatal Frenzy: This trait no longer gives boons. Instead, while in berserk mode, this trait reduces toughness by 300

Throw this on one of the Holosmith Minors, too.

I love being in your heart constantly. :heart:

@Adam.9572 said:Dungeon update when

Ah yes, the classic question when it comes to balance.

• Confusing Images: The physical damage of this skill has been split and reduced by 50% in PvP and WvW.
  • Evasive Mirror: Increased this trait's cooldown from 1.5 seconds to 10 seconds in PvP and WvW.

I never thought i'd ever see a game developer as biased as this.

In what world do you change a value by 50% or 600+% and sleep sound and safe at night?

Do you realize you nerfed a skill by 50% (half) and then nerfed another skill by increasing it's cd by 600%+?

Do you know if you went to any other game in existence and said that a weapon or a skill is getting nerfed by 600% that people would lose their sanity? Imagine if in league of legends or in counter strike they nerfed (or buffed) any existing ability by SIX TIMES ITS VALUE. SIX. TIMES.

You... do realize that exaggerating as heavily as you are doing weakens your point? Evasive mirror rendered range classes invalid against mesmer as long as mesmer had an evade (either dodge or evade frame). You apparently don't understand how powerful that is.

Core mesmer became trash because raids and fractals CM's don't care for portal skips, which was all core mesmer was good for in vanilla GW2.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"kappa.2036" said:Speaking about "trade-offs"... where are the trade-offs on firebrand and chrono, for example? Firebrand gets 15 new skills just by choosing the spec, and also chrono gets the F5 without consequences. I don't understand honestly.

Keep in mind that ArenaNet used the Reaper as an example of a "trade-off": they lose Death Shroud and gain Reaper Shroud. So a Firebrand already has a trade-off: they lose access to the normal virtue activations, which are replaced by the tomes. The same applies to the Dragonhunter: the trade-off is losing access to the normal virtue activations.

You could argue that the tomes are better than the normal virtues, but, considering how the same line of thinking applies to Reaper Shroud vs Death Shroud, it appears that ArenaNet's rule is making a difference between mechanics that replace others and mechanics that simply add something new.

Chronomancers, for example, will probably gain some kind of drawback - right now, they only gain a new ability, without losing anything.

I wonder if any reapers or firebrands/dragonhunters miss their base F skills. I don't think they do. Ever. Not much of a trade off.

Reapers huge trade-off: loosing a lot of sustain. Mainly because of 5% degeneration and not having ranged attacks anymore

That's only relevant in pvp, a minority game mode.

~~ Dark Aura:Great, that was missing :-)

But why the reduction of condition damage like the light aura?Would not the reduction of daze or condition duration be a better addition instead?

~~ Elementalist:The dagger rework is ok.

I was expecting a rework of the Weaver traits. These seem like a jumble.

-- Engineer:The rework is ok.

The Scrapper still needs a new class mechanic for all game modes, for example that F5 would bring the function gyro to protect the Scrapper (shock aura + barrier?)

In addition, the bulwark gyro desperately needs a nerf because it offers extreme protection in just one skill (protection against projectiles, stability, a strong barrier + a combo field).

++ Guardian:Consistently a good rework.

Why the mace as a direct damage / healing weapon with the "Protector's strike" charge the condition damage causing "virtue of justice" seems illogical to me.

-- Mesmer:Partly a good rework.

The mirage traits still need to be reworked:"Infinite Horizont" can deal extreme damage in a short amount of time, so a recharge of 10 seconds would be fair."Mirage Mantle" and "Speed of Sand" are hardly noticeable due to their extremely short duration.

In addition I do not see the concept mentioned here that the elite specialization "Mirage" brings consequences with it. Or did I miss anything?

++ Necromancer:Consistently a good rework.

++ Ranger:A great reworking of the druid and in general :-)

However, personally, I think that the druid is more of a ranged profession so the glyphs should have a radius of 600 to avoid melee combat.

++ Revenant:Consistently a good rework.

I like the idea of the new F2-Skill :-)

++ Thief:Consistently a good rework of the daredevil and in general.

The new F1 skill of course aggravate the combat entry into melee combat from a long distance.

~~ Warrior:A good rework of the berserker and in general.

However, I see the trait "Fatal Frenzy" very critical. So you can use your adrenaline only for this risky mode (less toughness). For some bosses that will be very bad.

@Methuselah.4376 said:

@Methuselah.4376 said:Mesmers are still cancer in PvP even after last patch. The endless barrage of clones, target breaking, stealth, evades, invulnerability and then getting hit with massive damage while they're untouchable is ridiculous. So I don't much care for the boohoo mesmers crying their eyes out cause they got nerfed. Recognise the absurd advantages you have, have some maturity to admit it may be over the top and move on.

No offense, but you sound like you've never played a mesmer of any variety for a substantial amount of time, let alone recently, following the latest in nerfs targeting the profession in every balance update going back a year. Otherwise you probably wouldn't speak in such exaggerated hyperbole. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

As to being objective and honest about their profession's issues, including its excesses, even a casual perusal of the ample discussions on the subject reveals that with few exceptions, mesmer mains are some of the most forthcoming. They have routinely called for nerfs to broken items and suggested ways to improve balance regarding their profession.

Maybe come to grips with the fact that Arenanet designed a profession whose central theme is trickery and evasion, and "move on", whether you like it or not.

Typically, the trickster is never able to bring high dps. Maybe I am wrong here. But I do concur with what another poster said in this thread; if mesmers want to bring high damage, sure thing and if they want to bring a build that makes them untouchable, fantastic. Just make it one or the other.

It more or less is this way. There are maybe one or two builds capable of doing high burst damage and in exchange they are decidedly squishy. Both are power. Chronobunker is probably the most "meta" build currently, and comes closest to what you describe. Yet I personally don't see it often. Far less than Soulbeast, Scrapper, Spellbreaker, core thief, and Necros in general. Condi burst was effectively deleted in the March update. Meanwhile, builds with more sustain do middling damage at best.

You are right, I never played mesmer extensively in pvp because it is not a play style I like. But I did play it enough to get my 10 victories for the legendary pvp backpack and even without knowing what I was doing, I was pretty much perma evading. And my critique of boohoo mesmers applies to this thread not the mesmer sub-forum.

I'd venture to guess that when you played Mesmer, the profession was in fact over-performing. It definitely was for a good while. But as stated, it has been gradually nerfed, in every single balance update for the past year, with some of the most extreme happening last month. Mesmer is in quite a different state today.

But you don't need to take my word for it. Feel free to roll any build of Mesmer in the current league season and see for yourself. There are a couple builds still doing fine and considered meta, but they are far from "untouchable". If you're really up for a challenge, play a condi-Mirage--the #1 most broken (hated) build according to the community to this day--and see how that goes. See if you really are untouchable while doing huge damage. I extend this challenge to anyone, frankly.

@"Iustitian.9176" said:~~ Warrior:A good rework of the berserker and in general.

However, I see the trait "Fatal Frenzy" very critical. So you can use your adrenaline only for this risky mode (less toughness). For some bosses that will be very bad.

Due to heavy armor, you will still have as much total Armor as Light Armor classes after the -300 Toughness, while still having the highest health pool.Berserker mode will basically put you at the same natural tankyness as a Necromancer in terms of total Armor and Health, while getting 300 Power and Condition Damage.

I don't see how that would be an issue on any bosses.

It's actually kind of funny to me that Anet describes that as "fragile combatant" when it comes to Warrior, while Necro can't get active scaling defenses like blocks over Shroud, because it's "naturally tanky".

Yeah. So when do core Engineers, especially after you gutted them to sell two of the most dubious elite professions out there, stop sucking? With every 'balance' patch -more so those just before expansions- the tradeoffs have been one-way for core Engineer and that way has been negative. By comparison what do Scrapper or Holosmith give up?

Thanks for underwater gyros- meh. Thanks for animations on jump shot, meh. And thanks for making a marginal ability, Blunderbuss-especially marginal if you're not running conditions- , on an even more marginal weapon, Rifle, nine hundred range instead of seven hundred. Yay?

That'll be grand to have when we're still getting our faces melted from twelve or fifteen or even eighteen hundred range or better yet getting insta-gibbed in less than three seconds in melee -this skill's supposed bread and butter range, by insanely-overdone, burst-capable professions.

Only in this game, only on this profession, and from this company do the words, 'If this goes well' carry more the weight of a thinly-veiled threat than the promise of good things to come.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@"kappa.2036" said:Speaking about "trade-offs"... where are the trade-offs on firebrand and chrono, for example? Firebrand gets 15 new skills just by choosing the spec, and also chrono gets the F5 without consequences. I don't understand honestly.

Keep in mind that ArenaNet used the Reaper as an example of a "trade-off": they lose Death Shroud and gain Reaper Shroud. So a Firebrand already has a trade-off: they lose access to the normal virtue activations, which are replaced by the tomes. The same applies to the Dragonhunter: the trade-off is losing access to the normal virtue activations.

You could argue that the tomes are better than the normal virtues, but, considering how the same line of thinking applies to Reaper Shroud vs Death Shroud, it appears that ArenaNet's rule is making a difference between mechanics that replace others and mechanics that simply add something new.

Chronomancers, for example, will probably gain some kind of drawback - right now, they only gain a new ability, without losing anything.

I wonder if any reapers or firebrands/dragonhunters miss their base F skills. I don't think they do. Ever. Not much of a trade off.

Necromancers have had a several threads over the years about adding base shroud as F2 so yeah its missed. Core shroud with reaper GS, shouts and traits would be incredible.

I have also seen threads gone by about guards wanting a way to get their core virtues back DH came out.

Both of these be seen to be made in reaction to how these two classes clearly gave something up at a class mechanic level where as others didn't.

Both are god examples of how the elite spec system was described to work originally and do fundamentally change how you approach and play the classes instead if being class+.

You think those threads represent any majority at all?

The system was never described as to fundamentally change how you approach your class mechanic, it was described as to either change it (and therein implies a class+ version of it which has been the case ever since) or add something to the side. The trade off for a druid was already there anyway. You're picking an almost completely selfless traitline, with generally little syngergy with your base mechanic. And now they're gonna make the pet even worse on top of that? Isn't nerfing everything about it to cater to raiding good enough for them? It's barely a shell of it former self in anything outside raiding. And even there it's obviously worse than what it used to be.

You don't have to explain to me what makes Reaper and Firebrand good examples of trade offs. I agree. On paper. I just don't agree with their core counterparts being nearly as good or feel like a loss.

@Methuselah.4376 said:

I don't think that's the point they're trying to make. It's not a question of a mechanic being desirable or not but that it replaces or is replaced by something else depending on elite spec. Chrono simply adds another F skill to core F skills which it still has access to. Anet seems to be moving to the ideal that if you pick an elite, you do not have access to core special mechanics. Which might be a bit difficult to implement with elementalist I would imagine.

There is no need to tell people the difference between adding F skills and changing existing once. That part is clear. The thing is, being desireable or not kind of matters if you're gonna talk about trade offs and balance in the first place. Balancing is after all what they're trying to do.

And this druid trade off is the laziest form of trade off I've ever seen.

@Iozeph.5617 said:Yeah. So when do core Engineers, especially after you gutted them to sell two of the most dubious elite professions out there, stop sucking? With every 'balance' patch -more so those just before expansions- the tradeoffs have been one-way for core Engineer and that way has been negative. By comparison what do Scrapper or Holosmith give up?

Thanks for underwater gyros- meh. Thanks for animations on jump shot, meh. And thanks for making a marginal ability, Blunderbuss-especially marginal if you're not running conditions- , on an even more marginal weapon, Rifle, nine hundred range instead of seven hundred. Yay?

That'll be grand to have when we're still getting our faces melted from twelve or fifteen or even eighteen hundred range or better yet getting insta-gibbed in less than three seconds in melee -this skill's supposed bread and butter range, by insanely-overdone, burst-capable professions.

Only in this game, only on this profession, and from this company do the words, 'If this goes well' carry more the weight of a thinly-veiled threat than the promise of good things to come.

Nerf core engineer more. Specifically the Alchemy and Inventions traitlines.

@Nimon.7840 said:

Reapers huge trade-off: loosing a lot of sustain. Mainly because of 5% degeneration and not having ranged attacks anymore

Ye, it's huuuge. So huge they've still been buffing core shroud after introducing the degeneration.

Can't wait til tomorrow. From a PvP perspective, I see Berserker being stuck in a weird spot where its is either starved for stun breaks/mobility, or starved for adrenaline.

I think a fair compensation would be to add the 10 adrenaline to rage skills back, but build it into the Eternal Champion trait. In this case you aren't taking Bloody Roar or King of Fires, so eternal champion should really be a 'stay in combat and be hard for enemies to shake you off trait'. The stability on entering berserker was removed, so IMO we should build more heavily into the 'on stun break' effects. Maybe add something like 1s of resistance, or swiftness, adrenaline, etc.

In addition, many of the 'on entering berserk mode' traits were changed or removed, but there are a few still lingering. (i.e. Burst of Aggression). The rage skills will be difficult to slot into your 3 utility choices. IMO something that could help would be to expand up the 'enter berserk mode traits' to be something like 'when hitting with a primal burst' or 'when you use a rage skill'. If the new direction for Berserker is that you should be encouraged to extend berserk mode, but with a defense penalty, then the 'on entering berserk mode' traits are less valuable. Maybe rage skills only grant adrenaline outside of Berserker?

Now that gameplay can impact the length of Berserk mode and it has a toughness penalty, there should be a way to force yourself out of Berserk mode.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

Engineer

• Poison Dart Volley: Projectiles fired by this skill no longer fire in a randomized cone. Updated skill facts to show the full attack damage rather than the damage of individual darts.

Even though you guys aren't big fans of core engineer, I'm just glad you're finally getting rid of the stupid cone pattern that has existed for this skill since launch.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

@"ParanoidKami.2867" said:How come no tradeoff nerfs to Soulbeast?

I'm waiting on either heavily nerfed pet heal when going out of Beastmode or having my preference which is Pet Swap removed and F4 potentially being a button for Archtype skill instead but it makes pet use them.

Basically outside of Beastmode, you have 1 pet, no swaps and F4 is pet using Archtype skill. Also make put "Leave Beastmode" have a 5 or 10 second cooldown

There is already only one pet for 90% of soulbeasts - smokescale. They camp in it.

Only a few swap to owl to run away when it fails to kill me till they can get ooc and mount up.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

Engineer
  • Poison Dart Volley: Projectiles fired by this skill no longer fire in a randomized cone. Updated skill facts to show the full attack damage rather than the damage of individual darts.

Even though you guys aren't big fans of core engineer, I'm just glad you're finally getting rid of the stupid cone pattern that has existed for this skill since launch.

It's about time them farts finally stick to a target instead of spraying poisonous projectiles in a cone. =P