Please make f2p accounts unable to play in competitive modes

Keep in mind that paid accounts can be refunded within 30 days, so if someone wants to continuously do something, they can just keep buying and refunding accounts. ArenaNet's crazy KFT promotion also gave people up to 10 accounts per IP (~3 per computer signature), so anyone that wanted a few paid accounts for free certainly got them.

@coso.9173 said:preventing 2 clients to be run on the same pc at the same time would also fix this. and no one would be banned from pvp or WvW.

They can make it harder to do, but it's impossible to actually prevent. If they were going to do something drastic, they'd just split free and paid accounts into their own separate leagues, but even this would ultimately be a placebo and only make it less populated.

@Healix.5819 said:

They can make it harder to do, but it's impossible to actually prevent. If they were going to do something drastic, they'd just split free and paid accounts into their own separate leagues, but even this would ultimately be a placebo and only make it less populated.

I've been thinking about this idea of splitting f2p from the paid account, and have them play separated for a day now. And the more I think about it, the more I want it. I'd absolutely love to play f2p only, and finally get rid of all the powercreep, 4stats, hot runes, elite specializations, and just go back to good old core (despite whatever flaws it picked up by now).

I mean, I know it's both sad and bad, but heck do I want it!

@coso.9173 said:preventing 2 clients to be run on the same pc at the same time would also fix this. and no one would be banned from pvp or WvW.

Virtual machines appear to be on different PCs even though they're not, and are relatively easy to set up (there are legitimate business uses for these). Additionally, it's not that uncommon for people to have access to more than one machine.

@Healix.5819 said:Keep in mind that paid accounts can be refunded within 30 days, so if someone wants to continuously do something, they can just keep buying and refunding accounts.

I think ANet's payment provider might blacklist players for doing this. Using multiple credit cards from the same IP is also going to be a red flag for fraud detection.

Completely agree with ProverbsofHell.2307

If they enjoy unranked pvp that much and wanna compete ranked then buy the full game. Same with killing players in eotm then just buy full acc for WvW... at least with actual $$$ they'd be less likely to go ahead and get acc banned.

Well letting people que ranked on F2P circumvents a lot of the restrictions, the pvp rewards might not be the best time vs money, but they are quite good you get some ascended gear some gold ( which is not tied to anything, it is pure, no buy sell orders, just big chunk of gold). Those that are not doing it for the farm are setting them selves for great struggle, for one they have to play limited viable builds, and who knows they will survive the next meta shift, the other issue is that there is a big chance they will get rolled over by some new cheesy builds and ruin the game for the rest 9 people. On the other side we might get someone that is that good with core that he doesn't need to buy the game for pvp.For WvW maybe let F2P people on the borderland owned by the world.Don't forget the people that own the core game and didn't upgrade, they are free on whatever.The F2P is a big tutorial ( need some polish on the ramp up of the difficulty since it is a flat line right now) pretty generous if i might say. All and all buy the game it is good and it is half price of most games and it goes on sale a lot of the time.

@coso.9173 said:wow, no. I don't pvp but this is an awful idea. many f2p honest players don't have to pay for the actions of others.Maybe if we find a cheater from your country we should also ban everyone from your country too? since we're making terible generalizations.

Do you really think that people who play for free are in any way comparable to entire nations? Do you really think that discrimination based on paying model is same as dicsrimation based on nationality? Short answer to both is: no. And pls dont make slippery slopers like this.

I am all in favour of restricting them to unranked since as op states, f2p players dont have the sam accountability as payed players. So why should they get the same benefits? Another reason is lack of elite-specs which is legitimate issue for some professions.

Although to be fair i would be more in favour of locking ranked behind certain amount of played games instead of flat prohibition.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:When it comes to bans... they could just ban the ip the banned player uses (or mac adress or something). Then it won't even matter how many free accounts they make as they simply will not be able to connect as starter.That's one horrible practice which doesn't work at all. What will happen in most cases is those players just changing their ip address to another one, while their banned ip may easily get allocated to a legitimate player next time, which will have then to go through all the hassles of proving he is not the same guy who was banned before.FTP users just don't belong to competitive modes, too easy to spam accounts to abuse game mechanics. Yes, it's not nice to exclude them, but real-world solutions which actually work are rarely nice anyway. The world is harsh and ugly, thus solutions are as well, can't be helped. Anybody owning a gaming computer and internet connection can afford buying a DLC for 15-30$, if they want to get access to ranked PvP and WvW, it's not an issue.

Am i missing something? I don't see anyone saying why ftp players should be banned from competitive modes. What'[s the big deal- if they're doing the same things that 'paid' accts do and you don't like it, either put up or shut up imo. If a 'paid' acct is doing shenaningans to fill leaderboards or whatever, it's hypocritical of you to want to ban ftp accts for doing the same thing. Fill me in.

@Funky.4861 said:If a 'paid' acct is doing shenaningans to fill leaderboards or whatever, it's hypocritical of you to want to ban ftp accts for doing the same thing. Fill me in.It's about reducing the scale, not about completely preventing something. There is no total security, there are different levels, the tighter it is, the more effort you need to circumvent it - the less people will even try, or be able to break it. The mere fact it can't be prevented doesn't mean we don't need to act to minimize number of those who abuses mechanics drastically. And this means prohibit FTP accounts from participating in any competitive mode, as they are too easy to produce in numbers and replace even if banned. Mere fact you can lose an account you paid 15-30$ for already will stop majority of people thinking about breaking EULA, and even if they will decide to risk it, still very few are able to mass-spawn paid accounts like you can mass-spawn FTP ones, thus it will result in much more healthy competitive environment.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I am actually against this idea. I don't like the exclusion of f2p players in game modes (read full core game incl spvp/wvw/pve). Most players play without cheating and theres only a few bad apples. When it comes to bans... they could just ban the ip the banned player uses (or mac adress or something). Then it won't even matter how many free accounts they make as they simply will not be able to connect as starter. Also, everyone should be able to play any build they like, be it core or spec, be it meta or not. Its just a game....

IP bans? Do you want to find yourself barred from PvP / WvW because your city had a power cut, and when the power came back, your router got an IP address that had previously been assigned to an IP-banned cheater who lives across town? IP bans have never been effective against consumer ISP service, and the rise of carrier-grade NAT (where the NAT on your router is hidden behind more NAT in your ISP's network) just makes it more likely that you'll get barred by such a ban, even without the power cut. To avoid a MAC address ban, all I have to do is buy a new network card.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of different opinions regarding this topic. It’s so tricky to implement something restrictive to f2p players but I feel like they’re not doing enough to punish trolls especially in wvw. For ex, we keep seeing this one person that trolls the current tag in the map by tagging up and confusing other players. We try to report this person but he just keeps showing up with new accounts. His previous accounts would get blocked but then he would appear again, doing the same thing.

It would be horrible for population.

I would instead give them the least priority in queue times in WvW, being allowed to enter the Mist War maps only if there's no unrestricted players waiting, and give them 10 times more dishonor on PvP infractions.

The report system needs some tweaks too, clarifying how to use it and what to choose to report a player.

F2P accounts are crippled enough as they are. Therefore, I do not agree with this suggestion.If ArenaNet wants to go in this direction, they should be very clear about these huge limitations and not call it F2P but something like a time-unlimited PVE demo version of the game. Now they're on the route of F2P with optional gemstore sales.