Caladbolg Reforged: Not enough options.

Iozeph.5617

So after a long while I just got to the end of the Reforged line and had to take a shield on my Engineer. I had to buy Heart of Thorns to play as a scrapper. Couldn't there at least have been an option to reforge this thing into a hammer? I'm stuck with this shield now. Shield, If I'm not playing a holosmith, limits me to pistol main hand which is terrible. I'm certain I'm not the only player left with such a terrible choice here.

Could someone at the art team, assuming they haven't been laid off, come up with the other major weapons for Caladbolg? And then could you put an NPC somewhere -perhaps in the grove that will allow players who were stuck with a less than optimal choice for their weapon to exchange it for one more suitable?

Thanks.

Thanks for your quick reply, but the other options, unless they've added more in the interim, aren't suitable to a Scrapper either. If I recall they were sword(mainhand), dagger, sceptre, greatsword, and shield? Have they added hammers, bows, or staves, to say the least? I hope so because for something my character had to bind to him, the shield's a bit of a poor match. Have to say I'm also not thrilled at the prospect of having to collect that much unbound magic just to fix it.

Gee, a couple of flights around Bloodstone Fen should take care of the Unbound Magic problem. Not to mention all the other Season 3 Maps/Home Instance/Gathering Tools.As for the weapons, well, nothing says you must use one on your Scrapper. You can use the skins on any character.If it's an Ascended Hammer you want (sans crafting), there's always Fix-R-Upper.

I'm glad that two thousand magic seems paltry for you. and that you're happy with things as they are. Everyone should be so pleased. I primarily play WvW when I have time, and a small amount of PvE with guildies in between that. I find farming dull, but that's me. I do it reluctantly if there's something I personally find worthy of pursuing. It was a bit of a departure to go and finish these quest lines so long after their initial release only to find this sort of letdown waiting at the end of it all. Having to go magic farming in order to change the form when none of the other forms provided are relevant doesn't seem logical to me.

You're right, I could certainly do other things. I could go for the profession ascended weapon, pray to the RNG gods that I loot an ascended weapon chest somewhere, or even work toward crafting one for myself but I didn't begin this thread complaining that I was cheated out of an ascended weapon. I wasn't looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth. I was decrying the lack of choices for Scrappers, and others.

Caladbolg's a weapon that's supposed to be attuned to the wielder, and to take a form fitting to them. A Scrapper playing this content at the time after release, the time when it would be considered most relevant, would want a hammer and not a shield. A Druid would want a staff.

And that said, I don't believe it's an unreasonable request, or inconceivable that the choices for the reforging be a hammer, a mace, or even a staff. It doesn't come much simpler than a branch, or even a branch attached to the knot of a tree, does it? Or even a bow. There's certainly examples among the Sylvari racial and rare, themed sets. As well as the nightmare court. Is it so much of a stretch that a grown, magical weapon take one or several of the most natural forms?

If it's not possible, then it's not possible. But if there's even a shadow of a chance of having the choices expanded, I'd love to see it done.

When you start this side story, you don't know which weapons you will unlock (if you don't use the wiki). You only know that you will try to restore the broken Caladbolg (so at least you would expect a new greatsword, still useless for a scrapper). So I don't think you can complain because the quest "mocked" you, so to say. As @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said, scrappers can work on the Fix-r-Upper achievement, if they want a hammer.

However you raise a fair point: why ArenaNet chose those 5 weapons? I might have understood if they were all necromancer's weapons, but in theory Trahearne couldn't wield a sword or a shield. Although necros couldn't use a greatsword either at that time. Maybe he's been always ahead and one day necros will unlock swords and shields.

@"Urud.4925" said:When you start this side story, you don't know which weapons you will unlock (if you don't use the wiki). You only know that you will try to restore the broken Caladbolg (so at least you would expect a new greatsword, still useless for a scrapper). So I don't think you can complain because the quest "mocked" you, so to say. As @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said, scrappers can work on the Fix-r-Upper achievement, if they want a hammer.

However you raise a fair point: why ArenaNet chose those 5 weapons? I might have understood if they were all necromancer's weapons, but in theory Trahearne couldn't wield a sword or a shield. Although necros couldn't use a greatsword either at that time. Maybe he's been always ahead and one day necros will unlock swords and shields.

The NPC in your home instance tells you not to worry and that as a part of the process of binding, attunement, and regrowing you'll be given a form more befitting your abilities.

If you mean this dialogue, I think you may have taken the one phrase (it will take a form you are able to wield) out of context:

Why does it have to be me?    As the... final wielder of Caladbolg before it became dormant, I believe you are already connected to the sword.    Talk more option     Very well, what's the first step? (Same as above)    Talk more option     Even if I became bonded to it, could I wield the sword properly? (Same as below)Talk more option Even if I became bonded to it, could I wield the *sword* properly?    Caladbolg is a living weapon. I can only believe that should you become a worthy ally to it, it will take a form you are able to wield.    Talk more option     Very well, what's the first step? (Same as above)    Talk more option     Why does it have to be me? (Same as above)

Neither of which does anything for a Scrapper. They only have one main hand option and that's pistol. More options here is a benefit to everyone so what's the deal? Is it just a matter of playing the forums and arguing against other professions getting something more suitable as a reward simply for arguments sake? Or is there an actual reasoning you're just not saying for why you don't want to see this happen? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You think General Discussion is the 'round' file? O...kay.

Because the signal to noise ratio is such that if something is pushed off the first page it doesn't get looked at. And even if it manages to stay on the first page chances are it's overlooked. By having a more relevant forum to place a thread in there's at least a better chance of the issue getting seen and then addressed. It's not that difficult to understand, is it?

Certainly, it’s not a big, but I agree that it would make sense to have additional options (and I am always happy with additional sylvari-themed content!) Shield does seem an odd choice; I would have thought any melee weapon — greatsword, hammer, staff, sceptor, axe, mace, dagger at least, but I’d be happy to be able to collect all weapon forms. :)

Doesn't matter. Seems this discussion got shifted to the Engineer subforum which is even more useless than being buried in General Discussion. Nobody in a position to do anything about changes to Engineers comes here unless, of course, unless it's for the purpose of schadenfreude.

Run along, everyone. Nothing to see here.

why is this in the engi subforum? the request seems to be to let caladbolg turn into more weapons, which is not an engi only problem. Whoever moved it here seems to have glossed over that fact.I agree with the idea here, it'd be especially useful if you can turn caladbolg into your newest shiniest Espec weapon in an expansion like the other classes that already can do so, and otherwise it's a little bit unfair.