Advice regarding Condi build for Engineer

Makion.3457

Hello! Holos Engineers and Scrappers! I created my first Engineer ever after 5 years playing Gw2 and Im kinda lost with this class haha, like the title Subtlety suggests I want to focus on Condi damage for my Engineer, so far im having a Blast with the Flamethrower (HarrHarr) and I want to learn to use it properly, someone told me that rabid on gear and power trinkets is the way to go with this setuf, with Balthazar runes, so that leaves me wondering, what weapons to use? And what traits? so far im using Explosives Firearms and Tools.
Thanks in advance!

BTW my Engineer is called Jonasventure Jr lets see who gets the reference :)

@"Altion.9576" said:Hello! Holos Engineers and Scrappers! I created my first Engineer ever after 5 years playing Gw2 and Im kinda lost with this class haha, like the title Subtlety suggests I want to focus on Condi damage for my Engineer, so far im having a Blast with the Flamethrower (HarrHarr) and I want to learn to use it properly, someone told me that rabid on gear and power trinkets is the way to go with this setuf, with Balthazar runes, so that leaves me wondering, what weapons to use? And what traits? so far im using Explosives Firearms and Tools.

Thanks in advance!

BTW my Engineer is called Jonasventure Jr lets see who gets the reference :)

If you're planning on playing core engineer in PvE, then you better prepare youself to spend a lot of time learning and practicing the 4 kit condition engineer with the grenade, bomb, mortar kit and flamethrower.

Let's start with gear. Full rabid gear with undead runes is perfectly viable for someone who wants to have a core condition engineer build, one that doesn't cost a lot of gold to craft and for someone who doesn't have Heart of Thorns. If you have the expansion, then it's best to skip rabid for viper. Viper is in many ways better than rabid because it introduced the expertise attribute which increases your condition duration and thus increases your damage. As for runes, most meta sites will tell you to get renegade runes, but I use nightmare runes, mainly because they're easier to get, it increases your overall condition duration and also because the results from renegade and nightmare runes are very minor. The only benefit I see from using nightmare runes is that poison has a higher damage output because poison scales better with duration rather than damage.

Using rabid gear with balthazar runes isn't bad, but you're only focusing on a single condition which is not what core engineer is about. Core engineer has a lot of conditions especially when using pistols with kits. As for specializations, you're already using the appropriate ones for a condition engineer. Explosives 332, Firearms 123 and Tools 111 are the traits I recommend for a pure condition damage build. Power trinkets are useless in a condition build because there's no benefit in going hybrid, especially in PvE.

In PvP, well let's just say that you will have to take the exact same dedication you used for learning core engineer in PvE and bring it over to PvP, only with a few different specializations, runes and amulets. As baffling as it may seem, I being a core engineer main since 2013, managed to reach platinum 2 in season 14 using this build. I made this build to prove that core engineer is viable in PvP as well, it's just that it all comes down to skill rather than being a build that carries you. The lack of stability is what people don't like about 3 kit core engineer builds, but memorizing skill cooldowns and knowing when to use a certain kit makes a difference between a good engineer and a bad engineer.