DH Update

Mysticjedi.6053

A DH update is going to happen, eventually. Firebrand can play a few different support roles in PvP, WvW, and raids/fractals. Core Guardian is slowly being tweaked. Dragonhunter is falling behind all other specializations which is why the patch after Tuesday, I hope DH will be a focus.

What would you want DH to look like?

My most basic request would to make bow 3 have knock back standard.

A more out there request would be to change bow 5 to cripple, and not trap.

Overall, I would love to see DH be more about using traps, longbow, and traits to provide control options like cripple, slow, daze, knockbacks, and pulls.

@Mysticjedi.6053 said:A DH update is going to happen, eventually. Firebrand can play a few different support roles in PvP, WvW, and raids/fractals. Core Guardian is slowly being tweaked. Dragonhunter is falling behind all other specializations which is why the patch after Tuesday, I hope DH will be a focus.

Overall, I would love to see DH be more about using traps, longbow, and traits to provide control options like cripple, slow, daze, knockbacks, and pulls.

I am not sure core guardian slowly being tweaked for what. It is pretty much dead in every possible way, in every game mode. If that was Anet objective, success?!

As for DH, There are so many other threads with loads of suggestions. Anet either does care or too ignorant to understand. So why bother? If you do not want to play FB in PvP, just play another class.

I have my own wishlist of DH tweaks:

Longbow

• Hunter's Ward Slightly increase the initial damage of this skill.

All in all I think that longbow is a solid weapon for Dragonhunter with decent numbers. Hunter's Ward damage should be increased cause of long casting time and the final effect often being negated by Firebrand's stability spam. I don't think Deflecting Shot needs any buffs. It's already a good skill.

Traps

• Light's Judgement Increase damage dealt by this skill.

Most traps are useful in specific game modes. Only Light's Judgement stands out because of its low damage numbers.

Traits

• Dulled Senses Enemies you disable are crippled. Enemies you cripple are also inflicted with stacks of vulnerability and lose swiftness. This trait has now internal cooldown.

Dulled Senses is an utterly bad trait and it works only on knock back (Wards, Dragon's Maw and Deflecting Shot). The other adept traits beat this one completly. Renegade has the exact same trait but it works with every hard CC and additionally grants Kalla's Fervor.

I don't think that DH needs any buffs or nerfs. It's a balanced elite spec with purity of purpose: physical damage, lots of cripple, kiting, crowd control. It has its trade-offs. New virtues are no longer instant cast, no longer affect everyone around but require positioning. Skills and traits that I listed just seem bad to use.

@"mrauls.6519" said:I feel like we're all shouting into deaf ears. Like, there's no way mods/devs don't see our posts... After all this time

There are other specs that are of higher priority. Scrapper needed a rework a lot sooner than DH, and it got one last patch. Berserker and Core Revenant needed a work urgently, and they'll get it this patch. There's still other high priority specs to rework, like core elementalist (worst core prof at the moment alongside current-state core revenant) or renegade (which has never been meta in competitive play), but sooner or later they'll get to dragonhunter.

I think DH is almost in a good spot.

I would like for LB3 to receive baseline knockback, and then rework Heavy Light so that it's still a trait that rewards the DH for CCing an opponent. Additionally, LB5 could afford a lower cast time (at LEAST go down to 2.25 seconds, in line with ranger's LB 5) and/or more damage.

@otto.5684 said:

@Mysticjedi.6053 said:A DH update is going to happen, eventually. Firebrand can play a few different support roles in PvP, WvW, and raids/fractals. Core Guardian is slowly being tweaked. Dragonhunter is falling behind all other specializations which is why the patch after Tuesday, I hope DH will be a focus.

I am not sure core guardian slowly being tweaked for what. It is pretty much dead in every possible way, in every game mode. If that was Anet objective, success?!

As for DH, There are so many other threads with loads of suggestions. Anet either does care or too ignorant to understand. So why bother? If you do not want to play FB in PvP, just play another class.

Cause it is something to do, and the millionth time is the charm.

most things are said many times

knock back on lb 3 baseevade on leap of faith25% movement speed minor trait not majortrueshot slight dmg increaselight field feels useless change it to resistance or quicknesslb 5 feels kinda danger to use sometimes

oh and traps should work on dragons... bcs Dragon Hunter !

dream would be dragon hunter get 3 doges like DD to become the super dupper mobility spec

oh and would be cool to get stability while shield 5 is active that could be an major trait or a change in general

im kind of worry destroying projectile becomes an block now one side is nice bcs we can heal on block if traited or loose an condition on the otherside unblockable attacks will be even more danger to us

DH is a jumbled up together mess without any clear vision behind it. It needs almost a complete redesign, except for the virtues - they are quite nice. But everything else is just meh.Traps are redundant and not fun to play with. Sure, some people might think traps are fun because you can instakill someone in WvW with them or get stealth with trapper runes but this meme quality of theirs does not make them good. Changing them into something more proactive like stances or phisical skills might just help since it will actually signify DH's phisical presence on the battlefield along with the phisical nature of their virtues and will require less animation work in general. ANET have shown us they can significally change classes with mesmer, scrapper, herald and the upcoming berserker/revenant updates. They can do the same with DH.Not to mention light's judgement. Just think about this - this worthless skill hasn't been changed ones since HoT came out. They only tweaked the animation on it a few times.

Only 3 traits are worth something - the bottom line which is for virtues. 6 other traits are either mandatory to take because of poor balance or complete trash that can't compete in the meta nowadays.

LB is probably the worst weapon in the game so far. It makes you vulnerable and immobile, barely does any damage at all. And the cherry on top - the skill icons. They are sooooooo ugly, not to mention they reused at least 2 icons from other classes' bow skills.

@"SilverMoonFlare.2984" said:DH is a jumbled up together mess without any clear vision behind it. It needs almost a complete redesign, except for the virtues - they are quite nice. But everything else is just meh.Traps are redundant and not fun to play with. Sure, some people might think traps are fun because you can instakill someone in WvW with them or get stealth with trapper runes but this meme quality of theirs does not make them good. Changing them into something more proactive like stances or phisical skills might just help since it will actually signify DH's phisical presence on the battlefield along with the phisical nature of their virtues and will require less animation work in general. ANET have shown us they can significally change classes with mesmer, scrapper, herald and the upcoming berserker/revenant updates. They can do the same with DH.Not to mention light's judgement. Just think about this - this worthless skill hasn't been changed ones since HoT came out. They only tweaked the animation on it a few times.

Only 3 traits are worth something - the bottom line which is for virtues. 6 other traits are either mandatory to take because of poor balance or complete trash that can't compete in the meta nowadays.

LB is probably the worst weapon in the game so far. It makes you vulnerable and immobile, barely does any damage at all. And the cherry on top - the skill icons. They are sooooooo ugly, not to mention they reused at least 2 icons from other classes' bow skills.

Ok SilverMoonFlare don't hold back tell us how you really feel...lol seriously I understand "you" don't like it but there are still a really large number of players that do and while it definitely could use some attention a complete rework is almost certainly out of the question, after looking back over you opinions your basically asking for them to dump everything but the Virtues and start over completely....that is certainly not happening.

@RUNICBLACK.7630 said:

@"SilverMoonFlare.2984" said:DH is a jumbled up together mess without any clear vision behind it. It needs almost a complete redesign, except for the virtues - they are quite nice. But everything else is just meh.Traps are redundant and not fun to play with. Sure, some people might think traps are fun because you can instakill someone in WvW with them or get stealth with trapper runes but this meme quality of theirs does not make them good. Changing them into something more proactive like stances or phisical skills might just help since it will actually signify DH's phisical presence on the battlefield along with the phisical nature of their virtues and will require less animation work in general. ANET have shown us they can significally change classes with mesmer, scrapper, herald and the upcoming berserker/revenant updates. They can do the same with DH.Not to mention light's judgement. Just think about this - this worthless skill hasn't been changed ones since HoT came out. They only tweaked the animation on it a few times.

Ok SilverMoonFlare don't hold back tell us how you really feel...lol seriously I understand "you" don't like it but there are still a really large number of players that do and while it definitely could use some attention a complete rework is almost certainly out of the question, after looking back over you opinions your basically asking for them to dump everything but the Virtues and start over completely....that is certainly not happening.

I also see things from SilverMoonFlare way. DH design is confused. The traps never worked well (even in PvE they have trigger issues). They also go in counter to LB design as a ranged weapon. DH works in PvE, cuz it has 30% damage multiplayer, but PvP, the design fails flat on its face. The idea was to pull enemies into the traps to one shot them, but that design is now abandoned (and is pretty terrible) for.. not sure.

LB does not work as a ranged weapon. It lacks the damage for you to camp range. The traps between easy to avoid design, lack of mobility and power creep are massively outdated.

If you think about, DH is nothing more than power creep of the core melee build in PvE with one additional AOE, PT. I think LB is salvageable, but stupid changes like increasing the range of LB2 by 300 are not going to do crap. And while not necessary, I would love to see the traps go.

@Assic.2746 said:I have my own wishlist of DH tweaks:

Longbow

• Hunter's Ward Slightly increase the initial damage of this skill.

All in all I think that longbow is a solid weapon for Dragonhunter with decent numbers. Hunter's Ward damage should be increased cause of long casting time and the final effect often being negated by Firebrand's stability spam. I don't think Deflecting Shot needs any buffs. It's already a good skill.

Traps

• Light's Judgement Increase damage dealt by this skill.

Most traps are useful in specific game modes. Only Light's Judgement stands out because of its low damage numbers.

Traits

• Dulled Senses Enemies you disable are crippled. Enemies you cripple are also inflicted with stacks of vulnerability and lose swiftness. This trait has now internal cooldown.

Dulled Senses is an utterly bad trait and it works only on knock back (Wards, Dragon's Maw and Deflecting Shot). The other adept traits beat this one completly. Renegade has the exact same trait but it works with every hard CC and additionally grants Kalla's Fervor.

I don't think that DH needs any buffs or nerfs. It's a balanced elite spec with purity of purpose: physical damage, lots of cripple, kiting, crowd control. It has its trade-offs. New virtues are no longer instant cast, no longer affect everyone around but require positioning. Skills and traits that I listed just seem bad to use.

I don't think you understand how dulled senses works. It is one of the most powerful traits for DH. It doesn't just work for knockbacks, it works for ANY source of cripple you do. So hunter's ward, possible puncture shot, symbol of vengence and 2 different traps all cause cripple and in turn cause vulnerability. But the bigger one is using it in combination with zealot's aggression so every time F2 procs, you cause cripple, vulnerability and burning. If you are running permeating wrath, that's aoe cripple, vuln, and burn. I place 25 stacks of vulnerability on foes constantly.

@Nordic Natedog.4360 said:I don't think you understand how dulled senses works. It is one of the most powerful traits for DH. It doesn't just work for knockbacks, it works for ANY source of cripple you do. So hunter's ward, possible puncture shot, symbol of vengence and 2 different traps all cause cripple and in turn cause vulnerability. But the bigger one is using it in combination with zealot's aggression so every time F2 procs, you cause cripple, vulnerability and burning. If you are running permeating wrath, that's aoe cripple, vuln, and burn. I place 25 stacks of vulnerability on foes constantly.

It only applies 1 stack of vulnerablity and most mobs die to a few hits. I don't see this trait being useful in any format and definitely not in competitive ones.

Gotta admit I didn't consider this combo, but after checking it out on golems I couldn't even stack Vulnerability above 16 stacks while hitting 5 targets constantly. Stuff dies too fast.

I have to agree on it being underwhelming overall as far how much vulnerability it applies. You get much more of a return from Sword of Justice or even Chains of Light paired with Binding Jeopardy or even Symbolic Exposure (and this is without even mentioning Lights Judgement) than you do from Dulled Senses by the time you have triggered it enough times you have probably already killed the target with any increase in damage caused by 1% per cripple being placed on the target to be totally irrelevant. One stack is just to small overall when you also consider the duration of alot of our applications of Vulnerability and that it has a upper limit of 25 , it's not that with the proper build and traits we can't hit the cap limit fighting solo but there are better options to get there faster for more effect. We would be much better off if it did 2 or 3 stacks or if instead it applied possibly something like maybe Weakness as a suggestion.

I agree with the statements that DH feels everywhere. It has good themes it tries to be a power build, control build, and if I remember it was originally going to be a Condi build (traps would bleed). It needs to pick one and run with it really well. I vote control, and given the already good amount of cripple, a soft control spec.Though if we got knockbacks, knock downs, even just daze again I would okay with that too and keeping its power level where it is at or even lowering it.

I am kinda scared... No mentions of anything for dragonhunter in quite some time. Even though that patch was to address HoT specs Dragonhunter wasnt mentioned.all other HoT specs except Dragonhunter have had some sort of change over the recent patches.

Daredevil, Reaper, Druid and Berzerker tweaks and reworks todayScrapper and Tempest got theirs reworks and tweaks in the last balance patch.Herald got theirs a while back also has had recent tweaks and Chrono have a lot of changes recently too.

I dunno it makes me feel worried, like they either don't want to touch Dragonhunter or are completely redoing parts of it like they did with Berzerker but aren't saying anything... or they've just pain forgot that it exisits.

Dragonhunter needs major work completely revamping various traits feel outdated and starting to slow its age, some traits were never used by anyone.I've mostly had the same traits for 3 years on DH. Nothing changed.

Longbow REALLY needs to be redone to be more viable.They said a while back they were going through EVERY weapon on Guardian and revamp or tweak or it. So far have done every weapon except longbow, it got recently got a very minor tweak which was LB2 now hits 1500 range... nothing else. but the rest of the skills are STILL 1200 Range which doesn't feel right. What about the range on the other skills? Or CD reduction on the LB skills?Many weapons have buffs and others have had slight tweaks, fixes or nerfs. A few them have new mechenics added and new attacks to replace old ones.They've even redone the underwater weapons. Giving them their own symbols. Yet Dragonhunter doesn't have underwater traps but Scrapper got underwater gyros.I know Underwater combat isn't important but c'mon. We've been wanted something to use underwater as a Dragonhunter.It adds to frustration and feeling that the spec has been left behind.

@Assic.2746 said:

@Nordic Natedog.4360 said:I don't think you understand how dulled senses works. It is one of the most powerful traits for DH. It doesn't just work for knockbacks, it works for ANY source of cripple you do. So hunter's ward, possible puncture shot, symbol of vengence and 2 different traps all cause cripple and in turn cause vulnerability. But the bigger one is using it in combination with zealot's aggression so every time F2 procs, you cause cripple, vulnerability and burning. If you are running permeating wrath, that's aoe cripple, vuln, and burn. I place 25 stacks of vulnerability on foes constantly.

It only applies 1 stack of vulnerablity and most mobs die to a few hits. I don't see this trait being useful in any format and definitely not in competitive ones.

Gotta admit I didn't consider this combo, but after checking it out on golems I couldn't even stack Vulnerability above 16 stacks while hitting 5 targets constantly. Stuff dies too fast.

Again, you probably didn't use it in combination with permeating wrath which decreases the time to get f2 to proc and makes it aoe. I do 30-50k damage bursts constantly in wvw. Shoot, even reflect walls can trigger these passives. Yeah, in pve it isn't much use. Just from putting my scepter 2 symbol on target golems, I got to 14 stacks of vulnerability. My burst is too high to keep them up longer than 2 seconds, so I'm not even through my burst before they are dead (I still got to 22 stacks of vuln before they died). But in a real fight, those stacks really come into play, especially for a hybrid setup as vuln increases damage on both sides of the equation (direct and condition).

@"hugo.4705" said:I just want one thing, a trait that reduce bow skills recharge, why not? Seriously, almost all other weapons have a trait that reduce the recharge:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Recharge(Greatsword, Sword, Torch, Focus, Shield, Mace and Staff)(PS, which profession have the smallest number of recharge reducing traits? Yeah you found it! Engie! 1!)

Because engineer has kits to swap to, reducing the need to camp a single weapon, and effectively giving them the most weapon swaps in the game.

My issue with DH is it always felt like a Ranger reboot minus a short bow and pet. It would be nice to see a strengthening of the theme of "hunting dragons". Somehow I don't think many of the skills would apply to Wyvern hunting, i.e. traps dont work on airborne targets very well. You'd have to bait the target to land in your trap, then hammer it with disables, have protection from elemental breath weapons of varying types, long distance stun attacks to keep it on the ground, then a crit based shot to finish.