Making holo better discuss.

Trixzor.4815

I have been trying out holo recently, and it doesnt feel super engineerish to me. The holoforge kit is literally a rehash and balance of 1-2 warrior main hand sword. 3 warrior hammer, 4 thief pistol barrage and 5 warriors hammer. Which on the face is cool. But gets old really quick. I feel like they missed a big opportunity to use the holoforge as a way to "holo-enhance" the often considered poor base weapon kits and maybe even took kits whilst keeping the sword unlocked and heating mechanic. Ie rifle could get a holo scope (extended range) and maybe a "holo" grenade launcher addon where the net shot is or pistol could get a burn added onto the the shots etc. Not trolling, I just genuinely think holo enhancing our weapon and kit choices with the holoforge would be more immersive complex and fun than just a stand alone holoforge kit. Please discuss.

Yeah holo is definetely dull and boring (for me). Also scrapper feels too much like a base engi with a hammer and wells. Nothing new, nothing unique that other classes dont get. All in all, i was happy to boost engi and play it, got bored pretty soon. Playing it in wvw tho cuz scrapper is useful.

@"Trixzor.4815" said:I have been trying out holo recently, and it doesnt feel super engineerish to me. The holoforge kit is literally a rehash and balance of 1-2 warrior main hand sword. 3 warrior hammer, 4 thief pistol barrage and 5 warriors hammer. Which on the face is cool. But gets old really quick. I feel like they missed a big opportunity to use the holoforge as a way to "holo-enhance" the often considered poor base weapon kits and maybe even took kits whilst keeping the sword unlocked and heating mechanic. Ie rifle could get a holo scope (extended range) and maybe a "holo" grenade launcher addon where the net shot is or pistol could get a burn added onto the the shots etc. Not trolling, I just genuinely think holo enhancing our weapon and kit choices with the holoforge would be more immersive complex and fun than just a stand alone holoforge kit. Please discuss.

Seems to me that this is exactly the intention; especs are supposed to feel different from the core. I mean, yes, there are going to have shared feel across classes and at some point, that can't really be helped but within, the difference is there and intended.

We have a unique heat mechanic for Sword mainhand & all exclusive Holosmith skills. All other skills have not been reworked to suit the new heat-mechanic at all.

• When you play Berserker (HoT Warrior Elite Specialization), there is a Primal Burst for every equip-able weapon.
  • When you play the Weaver (PoF Elementalist Elite Specialization), there exist dual-wield skills for all weapon combinations.
  • The Soulbeast (PoF Ranger Elite Specialization) can fuse with all pets, not just the PoF ones.

But this is not the only inconsistency about our class. Take a look on the Legendary Weapons for example. When there is a Legendary Weapon we can equip, we always get new grenade-projectiles. There are two Legendary Shields and we have the Throw Shield skill, where we literally throw our shield towards our opponent. Do you think the image of the shield changes? It never does, especially NOT with Legendary Shields. We are always stuck with the Basic Shield.

Or have you ever fought a copy of yourselves in the story? You can play a kit-engineer, a Scrapper, a Holosmith or anything else, it does not matter. When you fight yourself, you always encounter the good old rifle & turret meta from the pre HoT era. It is just ridiculous. Of course it is easier for us, because even on healer we easily outclass this outdated build. But you do not fight yourselves, you fight an ancestor.

And that pretty much sums up the entire dilemma with the Engineer in general and the Holosmith in particular. In most cases they did not bother to complete the task. The necessaries were enough.

Imagine all the possibilities with kits, gadgets, turrets & elixirs using a heat-mechanic. Rifle with heat mechanic, pistols with heat mechanic or shield with heat-mechanic. It would almost be like a completely new profession. And that is probably the reason why we are in this special situation. We have such a large variety of skills in general, a detailed rework would take way too many resources & time (double or triple of every other profession).

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:But this is not the only inconsistency about our class. Take a look on the Legendary Weapons for example. When there is a Legendary Weapon we can equip, we always get new grenade-projectiles. There are two Legendary Shields and we have the Throw Shield skill, where we literally throw our shield towards our opponent. Do you think the image of the shield changes? It never does, especially NOT with Legendary Shields. We are always stuck with the Basic Shield.

Actually the Flameseeker Prophecies' projectile is a flying book with a blue trail, not a standard shield.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your point. They do not follow-through on engineer, which is really frustrating.

Things to make holo better:

• Heat mechanic should apply to all engineer weapons. The weaver mechanic was applied to all their weapons, but we get a single weapon that interacts with our mechanic, and we only have 3 core weapons. Like, were they really that tapped for time?
  • Condition aspect of holo shouldn't feel tacked on like it currently does. Embrace the burn!
  • ECSU mechanic should apply to everything affected by heat mechanic, including weapons and Exceed skills. ECSU is currently the weakest grandmaster because of a failure to follow-through on its concept.
  • Adept-tier traits don't really feel like choices, just standard options for certain game modes. Light Density Amplifier is a really weak version of protection, Prismatic Converter is only useful in PvP, and Solar Focusing Lens is only useful when combined with Photonic Blasting Module, which is only useful in PvE.
  • Master-tier traits simply can't compete with stability provided by CC:Eclipse. CC:Storm is garbage for the small amount of distance it adds to the autoattack, and CC:Zephyr is only useful under certain circumstances.
  • Coolant blast does not interact with heat mechanic, like it seems like it should. Also, heals shouldn't be tied to behaving aggressively, which is a sore point for me.

Recommendations in the OP read more like a new spec to me -- people have proposed a "tinkerer" or "mechanist" spec that modifies existing weapons to have alternate modes (like a pseudo-weapon swap). Say rifle alternates between "shotgun" and "sniper" modes, or pistol alternates between "damage" and "control" modes.

I think holo for the most part is fine but I'd like anet to look into the viability of main hand sword. It's kinda inferior compared to running hammer on scrapper. Hammer gives you a tonne of damage as well as heaps of utility like reflects, blocks, barrier and a lightning combo field. Even the trait associated for it is pretty good too since you gives extra damage on top. It really needs more burst damage to help it compete against other power weapons like hammer and rifle or perhaps giving it some extra range like Crystal Configuration: Storm for holoforge.

• 2 weeks later...

@VixusIrine.9013 said:I think holo for the most part is fine but I'd like anet to look into the viability of main hand sword. It's kinda inferior compared to running hammer on scrapper. Hammer gives you a tonne of damage as well as heaps of utility like reflects, blocks, barrier and a lightning combo field. Even the trait associated for it is pretty good too since you gives extra damage on top. It really needs more burst damage to help it compete against other power weapons like hammer and rifle or perhaps giving it some extra range like Crystal Configuration: Storm for holoforge.

But how is the scrapper pve dps viability? I hear noone speaking about it at all, all about holosmith