New character: leveling up or using a boost?

Hello. When do you create toon for a entirely different class you are not familiar with you prefer to level it up by yourself or just go for lvl boost/use some of the ridiculous amount of Tomes you have stashed? Up until now(so for ~450h according to /age) I played mostly my engineer. Over time and during leveling I slowly got to see most of the kit, experiment with it a little, use terrible builds I came up with because they seemed cool etc. I wanted to try creating thief toon mostly for some pvp, but doesn't mean it will be exclusively pvp toon. Is it worth it to just throw myself at lvl 80, unlock everything, grab some gear and try to learn new class from there or should I take it slow and go through leveling once again?

Playing PvP is a good way to learn classes, if you like PvP and are willing to lose a lot to improve.

My preferred method for a first-time-profession is to level the character manually, enabling one specialization at a time and going "all in," e.g. all signets for a thief then all traps then etc. Get a sense of what each of the specialization lines does and what skills or traits are in it.

Then, when people write about (or video about) the prof, the advice has some context.

On the other hand, lots of people prefer starting with someone else's concept and branching out (or not), in which case, skip the above and go directly go Go L80; do not stop for PvP, do not manually level.

I find I learn the profession better if I level them gradually and experiment with each skill, trait line and weapon as I go along. It gives me time to try out the things I wouldn't normally consider using and maybe discover ways they can be useful. But I know other people find it much simpler to start with everything unlocked and then experiment.

If you're not sure what would work best for you my advice is to start off levelling them slowly, and then if it feels too slow use enough tomes to get to the next milestone and see how you feel then. Just because you can do that, but if you use tomes right away then decide you'd prefer to level them slowly your only option is to delete them and start over.