How is Boon beast in WvW?

Joshewwah.2956

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:Still good. Most stuff in PvP also is fine for roaming. Atleast all side noders and duelist.

And for zerging are also good with some little modifications. There is no setup which allows the ranger to have any impact in zergs so we may as well use roaming setup.

I wholeheartedly agree that boon beast works very well in WvW whether roaming or zerging, however you should be aware that some of the WvW community is still strongly antagonistic against having rangers in squad. I disagree with their arguments but think rangers should be aware of the general atmospherehttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/71429/wvw-commanders-guilds-kicking-non-meta-classes

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:Still good. Most stuff in PvP also is fine for roaming. Atleast all side noders and duelist.

And for zerging are also good with some little modifications. There is no setup which allows the ranger to have any impact in zergs so we may as well use roaming setup.

I wholeheartedly agree that boon beast works very well in WvW whether roaming or zerging, however you should be aware that some of the WvW community is still strongly antagonistic against having rangers in squad. I disagree with their arguments but think rangers should be aware of the general atmosphere

I would not pick SB for zerging, since it's honestly not that fun against a somewhat decently organized blob. If you like backline spikes, just play hammer rev. At least they are toning down reflects in the upcoming patch today.

As for roaming it's clearly one of the top tier builds right now. You can dismount ppl with longbow or drop that weapon against axe axe for dueling tryhards. Also got high mobility and even fast ressing for smallscale (if you pick the NM traitline).

Boonbeast is a broken build for dueling and roaming. It can't die in a 1v1, just like scrapper can't and it still deals decent dmg.

I see these rangers running with this build in duel spots and they aren't very good, make lots of mistakes etc. But they stay alive forever and the duel only ends when opponent is tired of fighting. Very boring and not very skilled playstyle, but it does the job well.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

I wholeheartedly agree that boon beast works very well in WvW whether roaming or zerging, however you should be aware that some of the WvW community is still strongly antagonistic against having rangers in squad. I disagree with their arguments but think rangers should be aware of the general atmosphere
Do you have any counterpoints to their arguments? It would be interesting to hear because, I mean, you disagreeing with them does not really hold much value in terms of discussion. I could dislike that water is wet but it does not change the circumstances.

The boon beast remains a good dueler and a decent roamer. That is about it. Roaming assumes 1vX so stealthing and the like still has high impact there. Soulbeasts have high mobility but you may not necessarily call the builds that do Boonbeasts. The full kiting burst builds are probably the most popular roamers and the niche it has have decent performance but it would be an overstatement to call it an excellent roamer. The Boonbeast is more fun though and you can definately make it work while roaming. The fact that it is fun and works should not be confused with power within the format though and I have a very hard time seeing what arguments could be made for it in a team scenario that is larger than a roaming party. I am however open to- and interested in hearing what arguments Moira could put forth.

Ed. One thing it could have going for it is Scrappers obscuring so much of the melee Revenant's role now, so some arguments could be made for it to round out the last spots of a melee party. The last spots of a melee party in what remains a predominant pirateship meta adds alot of If's and But's however.

Ed2. I phrased that poorly. I don't consider roaming to only be 1vX, more so YvX where Y is usually smaller or where an undermanned perspective is usually taken because you will have to deal with such scenarios.

@bigo.9037 said:Boonbeast is a broken build for dueling and roaming. It can't die in a 1v1, just like scrapper can't and it still deals decent dmg.

I see these rangers running with this build in duel spots and they aren't very good, make lots of mistakes etc. But they stay alive forever and the duel only ends when opponent is tired of fighting. Very boring and not very skilled playstyle, but it does the job well.

That seems perfect for me since I got high ping and not much time to get good at a class and need something tanky, easy to use and something that has lots of room for errors

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

Do you have any counterpoints to their arguments? It would be interesting to hear because, I mean, you disagreeing with them does not really hold much value in terms of discussion. I could dislike that water is wet but it does not change the circumstances.

The boon beast remains a good dueler and a decent roamer. That is about it. Roaming assumes 1vX so stealthing and the like still has high impact there. Soulbeasts have high mobility but you may not necessarily call the builds that do Boonbeasts. The full kiting burst builds are probably the most popular roamers and the niche it has have decent performance but it would be an overstatement to call it an excellent roamer. The Boonbeast is more fun though and you can definately make it work while roaming. The fact that it is fun and works should not be confused with power within the format though and I have a very hard time seeing what arguments could be made for it in a team scenario that is larger than a roaming party. I am however open to- and interested in hearing what arguments Moira could put forth.

Ed. One thing it could have going for it is Scrappers obscuring so much of the melee Revenant's role now, so some arguments could be made for it to round out the last spots of a melee party. The last spots of a melee party in what remains a predominant pirateship meta adds alot of
If's and But's
however.

Ed2. I phrased that poorly. I don't consider roaming to only be 1vX, more so YvX where Y is usually smaller or where an undermanned perspective is usually taken because you will have to deal with such scenarios.

I don’t normally Zerg with my sbeast, but one argument could be made for pin sniping and scourge shutdown. Rangers do both fairly well.