Why is Downstate Necessary for GW2?

Whiteout.1975

@steki.1478 said:

@spectrito.8513 said:Its necessary for weavers cuz you always die from retal after casting meteor shower :/

reduce meteorshower to a single impact , 20 targets.

It would have to do 20k damage to be comparable to current one.yup just like my revs hammer. retal and higher cost of sustain is a major reason why i play more rev than ele, altho i do like ele more.

i would prefer retal would apply vuln on hit instead of applying damage itself.

but i just wanted to point out that this should not be the only reason for downedstate, even with downedstate it needs lookin into.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@spectrito.8513 said:Its necessary for weavers cuz you always die from retal after casting meteor shower :/

reduce meteorshower to a single impact , 20 targets.

It would have to do 20k damage to be comparable to current one.yup just like my revs hammer. retal and higher cost of sustain is a major reason why i play more rev than ele, altho i do like ele more.

i would prefer retal would apply vuln on hit instead of applying damage itself.

but i just wanted to point out that this should not be the only reason for downedstate, even with downedstate it needs lookin into.

Vuln would be fine if condi>boon conversion wasnt a thing.

For downed state to stop being a thing there's a lot of things to be looked into, such as passive invuln traits, base health pools, access to stealth+mobility+evasion, single target burst, skills that revive downeds etc.

@"Sylosi.6503" said:They have downstate, because they had no healers (not even the sort of support healers you have now), damage application in this game is faceroll (especially for certain classes) and because it adds to the skillcap of the game by adding extra teamwork and decision making. Also from the point of view of their "e-sport" it added a point of interest / "drama".

If this game didn't have downstate mechanics it would be even more low skilled and one dimensional than it already is.

Maybe if they remove the rally thing, and had gw1 hard skill Rez system at mixture could be better?

Downstate is here to stay but needs changes, due how game has changed.

@Straegen.2938 said:It is an interesting mechanic and actually makes sense in PvE. It outright sucks in WvW since it heavily favors numbers over skill.

On the contrary, personal experience states that it favors skill over numbers as numbers are needed to res....no res...no safety net. Ran last night with 2 friends and we took out a ~8 or 9 man group (most ranked silver/gold...1 mithril and maybe 1 bronze). I'm silver as well as one of my friends and the 3rd is low gold.

Their group was mainly a guild group

edit: None of us were running 1 shot or condi heavy builds.

@style.6173 said:I hear this a lot, but it is misleading. It is only true in very small outnumbered fights. 1v2 for example. In any larger scale match-up, numbers rule regardless of whether there is a downstate. In fact, it HURTS guild groups since they are usually better able to coordinate a res than a larger random pug group.

The other downside to no downstate is less loot bags. In general, it isn't really a good idea.

A quality 10 man guild group straight up wipes a 30 man zerg during the no-downstate week. Small guilds have to spend an inordinate amount of juice to finish downs on the other side. As it is now smaller guilds get whittled down because when one drops any number of shart players stomp from a mount while the larger side has a multitude of players able to rez. Want a skill based game, no down state no rez. Player goes down they have to run their ass back to the fight.

Less loot bags as a reason for downstate... player shouldn't get a loot bag if they didn't bring a player down to begin with. Piling on once they are down for extra loot is the dumbest of excuses for a crap mechanic.

Pretty much the only people that want a downstate are those that routinely need it.

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

Because of hundreds of finishers that people have purchased, and more that ANet continues to sell in the TP etc... Imagine the screaming people would do if they couldn't use their favorite finishers... even though these days it's more important to just kill the guy fast, there will always be people who want to see that "awesome" finisher over the body of the dead enemy... and always be ANet making money off people buying finishers ;)

I get what your saying... But I honestly just think they could rework the finisher's to just trigger on death naturally... Based on who delivered the finishing blow or maybe who delivered the most damage.

THAT would be awesome. Could cause some lag though with zerg wipes... lol

Because of hundreds of finishers that people have purchased, and more that ANet continues to sell in the TP etc... Imagine the screaming people would do if they couldn't use their favorite finishers... even though these days it's more important to just kill the guy fast, there will always be people who want to see that "awesome" finisher over the body of the dead enemy... and always be ANet making money off people buying finishers ;)

I get what your saying... But I honestly just think they could rework the finisher's to just trigger on death naturally... Based on who delivered the finishing blow or maybe who delivered the most damage.

That would be interesting, downstate could stay but Rez target manually should be hard, and hard Rez skills could be added, hard Rez skills razing player fully death would take double time on its CD.

It’s funny cause no one would want want to use Rez skillsThis also in a world where rally is disabled.

Haha yea it could definitely still work (could still work after downstate as it is now) and I agree that it would be cooler than now IMO lol.Hmm, good point about the lag though...

But lets assume more Lag is an issue... Maybe do something like... If someone (an ally player) died near you or someone else allied... 240 radius maybe? Then that would make you and/or them immune to finisher effects for 3 or 5 seconds?...

Not sure how long the average finisher last in the game... But I would try to get close in sync with that average. So by the time one is near it's end or mid-end... Another may begin. To help balance out the "supposedly" lag inducing visuals they give off.

Just a guess... Though, testing should matter firstly like anything else looking to be fully implemented in the game :)