[SUGGESTION] The Summoner (Elite Spec)

Forgotten Legend.9281

Elementalist: The Summoner

NEW CLASS MECHANIC

F5 skill summons a Djinn from The MISTS, from the echo of Elona.

when the summoner changes attunements, the Djinn changes form, (such as flame Djinn, Frost Djinn, etc)

when the Djinn is summoned, F5 becomes another skill to detonate the Djinn's causing a large explosion (600 radius?) to do damage that also causes an elemental control effect (based on attunement) such as fire: smoke field; air, knockback; earth, blind; water, freeze foes around the djinn for 1 second or 2 (like Shiro’s Jade Wind skill for rev)edit1: detonating the djinn puts the F5 skill on cooldown. ( Since the Djinn is summoned from the echo of Elona, you would not be detonating a real Djinn, just an echo of one )edit2: on further thought... the djinn elemental would be summoned through a portal... and the f5 would send the djinn back to the mists through a new portal that would detonate.

the Djinn’s skills change based on which attuenement the elementalist summoner is in.

there would be a trait, to proc on-swap traits on the Djinn (such as sunspot) on attunement swap.

UTILITY SKILL CATEGORY: SUMMONS

~Tidal Wave: summon a large tidal wave that knocks back foes as it hits them. after the initial wave crashes, it returns from where it came, pulling foes back about half the distance they were knocked back. (this simulates a large wave crashing on shore and then returning to the sea, keeping the enemy out of balance, who is in the tide) (this could be a stun break)

~Summon Rodgort (elite) : call for Rodgort’s aide. when the dragon initially lands, it knocksdown foes, then the skill changes to a secondary skill to cause Rodgort to breath fire on the area to create a fire field that damages foes. Rodgort will remain until he dies, and has a default auto attack. (like a flesh golem)

~ Forgotten Relics: summon 4 large boulders (could be broken ancient rubble from Forgotten Statues, maybe pieces from the ancient statue in the Crystal Desert, that though crumbled, still appears to be whole and standing from a distance)… these 4 “boulders” would circle the elementalist summoner for up to 30 seconds. if they block an attack, they explode, blinding nearby foes. if they hit a foe, they explode for small damage and stun the foe for 1/2 second. once they are summoned, the skill changes to allow the elementalist summoner to launch the boulders at their target, up to 900 range. (this could be a stun break)

~ Fountain of Youth (heal): summons a water field that heals allies and removes their conditions. also poisons foes for 10 seconds.

~ Searing Cauldron: summon a searing cauldron that will periodically cause a local searing event. (think: an area-denial turret that can be destroyed)

~ Aziure’s Mark: you mark your target, who is then attacked by several summoned minor air elementals for a short time (Aziure was an elementalist in pre-searing Ascalon who's experiments in magic affected local creatures, attracting elementals from which she needed to be defended)

WEAPON

i was thinking maybe a mace mainhand. (keep in mind the potential damage from the Djinn and Rodgort) EDIT: i think Greatsword could work with these same skills, too

AIR: 600 rangeair autoattack would swing the mace, and the shockwave would hit targets up to 600 range.air 2: vulnerability stackerair 3: summon a mini black whole (think Legendary Diarmid in Dragon’s Stand) that sucks foes into it for a second or two.

EARTH: melee rangeearth autoattack chain would be melee cleave, damage—> bleeding—-> weaknessearth 2 would be a blockearth 3 would be a small knockback + blind. (spin around, knocking back your foes, then slam your mace to the ground, creating a dust cloud that blinds your foes.

FIRE: 900 rangefire autoattack : 900 range: cause your target/s (small, 300 AoE) to burn. if your target is already burning, do bonus damage to targets within the AoE (edit: think: Searing Flames elite skill from Gw1)fire 2: mark of rodgort: (this would be similiar to revenenat hammer 2, but spread burning) 900 rangefire 3: supernova: 900 range: summon a supernova at target’s location, 1 second delayed explosion (300 AoE), shockwave causes 3 stacks burning (600 AoE)

WATER: mostly melee range, with a 600 ranged skillwater autoattack: melee cleave: damage—-> chill—-> AoE healwater 2: 600 range: throw 6 ice shards at your foe in rapid succession,water 3: create an ice shield to block up to 3 attacks… detonate early to blind nearby foes.

TRAITS:

minors:adept: gain F5 to summon and detonate Djinnsmaster: blind nearby foes when summoning or detonating a djinn (AoE centered on self AND on djinn)grandmaster: pressing f5 is also a stun break, +10% damage against blind foes

Adept traits:~ when you strike a blinded foe, gain 10 endurance~ when you summon or detonate a Djinn, remove a condition~ apply burning whenever you strike a foe with a condition (10 second cooldown)

Master traits:~ gain regen and protection whenever you summon or detonate a Djinn~ spells and traits that proc from attunement swap now also proc on your Djinn~ summoning or detonating a djinn will also detonate auras for damage

GM traits:~ gain might and fury whenever you use a summon skill (f5 and any skill saying “summon” in the description, including the new utility skill category, glyphs, and some mace skills)~ Djinn will detonate twice when detonated~ summoning or detonating a Djinn will grant quickness to allies

UPDATE to BLIND condition. : Blind now stacks like stability. each attack that misses due to blind removes one stack.

well, to be honest, i'm a full time staff user myself. i really didn't know what kind of weapon would go with a summoner. though i think of this as a Historian of sorts, with all the GW1 references and skills. i just kinda chose Mace because someone else had mentioned they wanted to see a summoner with a mace. why not? Anet cherry picks ideas to flesh out and implement. differently than how the community suggests those ideas. so if they like part of this idea, fantastic! i thought i'd try fleshing out someone else's ideas with some of my own and see how it would work out.

the main thing about the weapon i wanted, was to have different ranges for different elements, to be more like traditional weapon swaps. to offer more choice of adaptation to the current enemy, than to always be stuck with a specific range

another idea i had for the "earth summon" was to summon the Lonely Vigil, a very tall ruined statue in the Crystal Desert of GW1, that from a distance, appeared to be fully intact, but when you got close enough, you realized it was just a mirage, and you could actually climb upon it's ruins.

• 2 months later...

Great idea, terrible weapon choice. Though it wouldnt fit the "summoner" arch type but what about Dual Pistols? Like take it away form the cliche of its a summoner it has to have this weapon. Plus, it would be nice to have a single target Ranged weapon that isnt about spamming the crap out of Air the whole time cough Scepter cough

dual pistols, huh? i think i have another e-spec idea that those would work with.

i honestly chose a melee weapon for this spec to be used as a hybrid ranged / melee deal, where you simply swap attunements to change range options. i get it. mace doesn't feel right. how about a greatsword instead? (though i hadn't thought of skills for the 4 and 5 slots yet), or would you all prefer to keep it as a main hand, to allow for the choice of focus / dagger offhand?

as for AI: /sigh. (yeah AI isn't the best, but it's another damage sponge to allow squishy ele to survive more) so many classes have a " summon something " kind of spec. (necro is obviously minions, ele conjures/ elemental glyphs, guardian spirit weapons, ranger buffbot spirits/ pet, revenant Kalla Legend, mesmer illusions, warrior banners, engineer turrets / gyros) i wanted something a little cooler for elementalist: like summoning Rodgort. (yes, call me out on GW1 Nostalgia. i plead guilty)

• 3 weeks later...

You combined a lot of things and themes there. If you have more elite specialization ideas, I really want to see them, just to see what else you use for them, since there isn't much room anymore.

Anyway, these are my elite specialization ideas, if you want to compare. They have a few things in common:

• Dervish: Djinn transformation (changes with attunement swap), scythe, mantras. DPS and tanking.
  • Shaman: Minion master controls, longbow, totems (like turrets/banners). Support.
  • Monk: Focus attunement (you can't swap attunements, but gain new mechanic skills), dual maces (1h hammers, in fact), wells. Healing.

Also, Searing Cauldrons have always screamed revenant elite specialization to me, with some Flame Legion legend.

@Lonami.2987 said:You combined a lot of things and themes there. If you have more elite specialization ideas, I really want to see them, just to see what else you use for them, since there isn't much room anymore.

Anyway, these are my elite specialization ideas, if you want to compare. They have a few things in common:

• Dervish: Djinn transformation (changes with attunement swap), scythe, mantras. DPS and tanking.
  • Shaman: Minion master controls, longbow, totems (like turrets/banners). Support.
  • Monk: Focus attunement (you can't swap attunements, but gain new mechanic skills), dual maces (1h hammers, in fact), wells. Healing.

Also, Searing Cauldrons have always screamed revenant elite specialization to me, with some Flame Legion legend.

I really loved your ideas (from what I've been seeing on this forum you have good ideas). I would love to know more deeply/in detail your ideas you cited (mainly shaman haha).In my opinion, the shaman would use dual mace (this concept of totem would look cool in necromancer too and the monk with the Guardian).

@Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

WEAPON

i was thinking maybe a mace mainhand. (keep in mind the potential damage from the Djinn and Rodgort) EDIT: i think Greatsword could work with these same skills, too

I also loved it and I could not think of a weapon... but came to me the idea of using focus on the main hand. It would be a great premiere for Focus.

• 1 year later...