How do people play rangers in Zerg squad?

Ryudnard.2587

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

@shortcake.8659 said:2x longbow marks/skirm/sb and rain barrages down everywhere. you'll be everyone's hero.

„Dies to retaliation instantly“

rofl --- Dies instantly? oh hey, I've been knocked back... even lost a bit of health from retaliation.. but NEVER have I even come close to dying. Possibly because I know how to build my ranger... or more likely because retaliation isn't as nasty as most people say it is.

if you are running dual longbows and barrage every 8 seconds, i can assure you that you most certainly will have an issue of dying from retaliation. you actually do pretty solid damage though if you aim them well, and throw cripple everywhere. And eat aegises. you gotta take what you can if you're playing a ranger.

.. the cooldown applies to longbow regardless if you swap to the "other" one... so having two of them is the same as having only one and totally wastes a second weapon set slot.

This is why you use skirmishing. With two longbows, using Quick Draw, you can swap and then barrage for only an 8 second cooldown. The more you know!

For reference, see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quick_Draw

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@shortcake.8659 said:2x longbow marks/skirm/sb and rain barrages down everywhere. you'll be everyone's hero.

rofl --- Dies instantly? oh hey, I've been knocked back... even lost a bit of health from retaliation.. but NEVER have I even come close to dying. Possibly because I know how to build my ranger... or more likely because retaliation isn't as nasty as most people say it is.

if you are running dual longbows and barrage every 8 seconds, i can assure you that you most certainly will have an issue of dying from retaliation. you actually do pretty solid damage though if you aim them well, and throw cripple everywhere. And eat aegises. you gotta take what you can if you're playing a ranger.

.. the cooldown applies to longbow regardless if you swap to the "other" one... so having two of them is the same as having only one and totally wastes a second weapon set slot.not if you equip Quickdraw.LB#5 barraging every 8 seconds.Im going to try that build just for the giggles now..

The purpose of this notice is to inform you that the copypasta material you have posted, re-copypasta'd, shared or otherwise distributed has been documented, saved or copied to the personal computer of the person posting this advance notice. No further action required.

Go healing druid with full minstrel. If you're able to ping full ascended minstrel, monk runes, sigils of benevolence and healing food/oils then the commander will let you be int the squad. Any other build useless. Not trying to be mean, but you will not be welcomed to squad.

If you're playing a LB Ranger or any long ranged build in general your place is not in the middle or front of a squad or group.. it's behind the group playing support and putting as much pressure damage down as you can.Glass LB Rangers can take many WvW builds down fairly easily and quickly, specially when the enemy is focused on the blob in front of him and not expecting to be singled out and blasted down by a LB Ranger hiding at the back of the blob.

For the most part if you're playing that role you want to be putting Barrage down on the enemy blob, sniping people on walls when you can as well as picking off seige, dismounting warclaws, picking off those who break from the blob to heal etc but most importantly.. you want to be keeping a keen eye on what your arrows are hitting.

Last thing you wanna do us unload a rapid fire on someone who reflects all your damage back to your allies.. that infurates people in WvW and is one of the main reasons so many people hate LB Ranger in WvW.

By all means run and enjoy LB Ranger if that's what you enjoy playing, just understand many squads won't want you in them.. and do try to be careful of reflects.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:As for zerg support. Not every class provides support in a zerg. Don't even talk to me about warrior/spellbreakers because pfft. I've run everything and I kill so many more enemy with my soulbeast build than I ever did with any other class. Anyone that thinks that a solid super DPS class isn't needed in a zerg simply hasn't seen someone that knows how to run on properly.I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, I think that you are not factoring in all necessary aspects into this.

Can a class be useful on sheer damage? Sure. Can a Ranger do that to a fair degree? Sure. However, are other classes that only do that in the meta? Are other classes that only do that wanted in a squad? Are other classes that only do that useful to a squad? There are alot of differences in that fine print, such as being useful to a squad or in a squad. There are classes like the Ele (Weaver) who more or less have a sheer damage role in the existing large-scale environment. However, the Ele much like the Ranger do struggle with only maintaining such a role (at least in a broad sweeping perspective). It isn't really meta in the most simple definition of current meta. As a damage dealer it also has access to more 5-target effects and more non-projectile effects making its engagement envelope broader. By that I mean that an Ele may not always do more damage than a Ranger but an Ele does not have to spend as much time picking its fights, it maintains its role in more situations.

So there is a relation between meta - Eles - Rangers. That does not assume that a Ranger is impossible or even worse in all kinds of situations but it is further from meta. It has a smaller envelope, more of a niche, less of a role, is more situationally bound and depends on- or adds less to the composition of a squad. It remains a perfectly good class within small niches outside of- but with squads. If someone then wants to give a Ranger a squad spot for social reasons or to feed them some moderately useful perks that's fine. However, the Ranger probably remains better within a party of friends outside a squad in the current meta or environment. The same could easily be said for an Ele right now, or a Thief (DD). That's not a slight to the class, it's where they thrive and how you should play them if you are serious about contributing best as possible.

It's just that people have problems navigating between the social and mechanical in WvW based on how the game works in general or what WvW has stooped to given available content and balance - the mode has a steep decrease in leadership and organisation with the loss various guilds. That is what has brought about this nitpicking about meta. In fact, Anet should not try to fit things into meta, that is just life-support, they should fit things into clear cut roles and encourage players to take initiative with organisation. In terms of the Ranger they are sadly doing the opposite by killing off whatever impopular but existing roles and niches it has/had while being seemingly incapable of fitting it into the mold (meta). Yesterday's patch was a glaring example of that.

I do agree with you for the large part. Ranger is definitely a niche and frankly if you are trying to get into a "fight only" group forget it. I love my Ranger and will play it exclusively as long as we are running a combination of ppt and fights. If the zerg I'm in wants to just do fights and no capping then I make the choice to either go run a havoc group somewhere, or switch to either my scourge or spellbreaker.

The distinction that people, even me, haven't really made is that Rangers really are NOT good in zerg vs zerg fighting. Ya you can pick people off and yes I kill a lot of enemy but I agree it's mostly self serving because.. I can survive ok on my own if I keep out of the way but I'm not giving support to the group other than kills. The other zerg type classes do that better. THAT is the issue with kicking Rangers out of squads. If, however, the zerg/squad IS capping points/keeps/towers etc then Rangers in the group are extremely helpful.

I'd say both yes and no. Let me illustrate what I'm getting at with a very crude example that only includes Rangers. What I'm getting at is an evolving perspective.

Let's assume a squad has 5 Rangers and kicks them out...

Let me spoiler-slap the rest of the anecdote to not sidetrack the thread more than necessary. You and others who care can click.

Those 5 Rangers decide to build their own party and befriend each other (talking about how mean the others are). After a while someone starts marking targets and they begin coordinating damage and suddently they are more useful.

Some time later they get tired of typing in party chat about navigating reflects and positioning so they get on coms together. Maybe they turn their little party into tag-hidden squad and use markers to define a position anchor and start coordinating some boons. They are now much more effective at their role and far more useful to the squad than when they were in the squad.

They start coordinating unstoppable union, experiment with ways to balance personal damage and leader of the pack, maybe mix in another class and start a guild together (maybe roam a bit, or havoc-capture when there are no tags to cloud/focus/havoc around).

Then they start seeing the limitations of Lead the Wind but keep the power of Sic 'Em in mind and look at other options with more risk and reward.

Maybe they start cycling Smokeclaw fields and realize that stealths make them less dependent on stabs, cleanses and heals or less restricted by reflects since you do not tend to screen/shield what you can't see (note: less dependent, not necessarily independent). They use that notion to combine ranged attacks with stealthing in to coordinate Maul bombs (like 10-second hit and run attacks). Then they figure out that if one of them goes Druid they can top off whatever random damage they attract without being focused and snap-stealth out with Cele Shadow.

Then they see that Frost spirit and Empowerment adds 15% dmg to their ridiculously stacked Sic 'Em Mauls.

Then ArenaNet kills Empowerment :3, ruins the reason to include the Druid and encourages more players to join the same few tags (run by dinosaur-old commanders who feel compelled to carry nigh-all content alone, unhappy about the declining quality/experience of players joining their squads and their builds) on meta builds. Guess what? Then the forums argue more about meta and even more Rangers feel left out. However, you can still do part of it, adapt, even if the niche got more narrow and possibly the envelope smaller.

Hopefully you see where I am going with this, it is an extremely crude example but it suggests a line of thought of how a niche can be more than a pick-off. It justs requires you to elevate your gameplay and teamplay a bit. It suggests that there are other teams than the pickup squad. It doesn't have to be a 5-Ranger party, the important bit is that it is your party and thus your prerogative, you can find alot of potential with different classes and roles within a similar line of thought whether we are talking Rangers, Eles, Thieves, Engineers, Warriors or Revenants. It is a damage role, it is a damage role that is far more than just personal enjoyment, it can decide the outcome of fights for the squads. If you fail, you are just some random Rangers clouding about. If you succeed, you just smashed the opponents' meta core and your pirateship can board theirs.

You have your own fight-only group and can ignore everything from their squads, to their coms to the map chat.

@Ryudnard.2587 said:The pew pew pew seemed kind of fun and chill. So I tried Soulbeast Power build with Long Bow using the Stance Share build. And man, I just die so many times following the tag. If I stay front line, I literally die in like 2 seconds. If I stay in the tail, I die to random conditions. I was using full Berserker, but isn't all rangers like this? Do I need some toughness or vitality even as a glass cannon in WvW? Any tips to play Rangers really well in squad?

Check your combat log. You may be killing yourself with reflect.

You don't play in the squad. You kind of follow it around like a vulture and look for zerg stragglers to pick off. You play it a lot like a thief honestly. They don't get squad invites either. We're roamers.

Dedicated healing druid might get a spot if literally no one else is on and the commander likes you. Maybe.

Soulbeasts serve a niche role, but they can certainly be useful. They're your second worst option for serving within the confines of a large group boonball (only thief is less useful in that regard) but they can do other neat things. =)

Aside from picking off stragglers they're situationally the best de-siegers in the game. Barrage doesn't require line of sight and if you run power, merge with a power pet, use sic 'em, & stack 25 might you can down an arrow cart in three volleys (about 50 seconds of game time if traited and the skill isn't initially on cooldown) on your own. Perhaps a tag plans to attack something but wants it de-fanged a bit ahead of time? There's one way you can help. If you have another soulbeast buddy, you can de-fang stuff pretty quick.

A couple of soulbeasts are also decent in their own party within a squad for the tag to utilize to pick off specific targets on engage. Sometimes the fight between two sustain-balls lasts a long time and the only way to off people on the other side is with ranged burst damage. You just have to be smart about when you burst, don't just fire randomly into the enemy group while your tag stares them down. (Apart from being ineffective it puts a big target on your head for when the two groups do engage.) Soulbeast is also great for deleting enemy thieves, rangers and gank-specs -- but be careful 'cause they can do the same to you. The trick is to remain fairly close to your tag so you can lose yourself within your group when someone tried to melee-gank you.

Core rangers and druids are significantly less useful in wvw, though. Its not that druids can't do stuff, its that guardians and revenants do it better. Kinda sad, but at least soulbeast is a thing.

~ KOvu

@jul.7602 said:Go healing druid with full minstrel. If you're able to ping full ascended minstrel, monk runes, sigils of benevolence and healing food/oils then the commander will let you be int the squad. Any other build useless. Not trying to be mean, but you will not be welcomed to squad.

Well... a 5th choice healer is still a healer i guess?

"Soulbeasts serve a niche role". And that's the problem. We were supposed to be the multi dual role, jack of all trades class. But being a jack of all trades basically means your really good at nothing specific. Believe it or not if you have ENOUGH rangers, LB5 can cut a lawn faster than a lawnmower on steroids. Three rangers with LB5 can actually down a lot of players that weren't expecting the dmg from multiple sources, at the same time as slowing those waltzing through our cripple field. And yes, we're not all single pew pew. We can trait to hit through the first target and to 4 more targets...only if their standing directly behind your target. That's why most traited rangers will target the guy in the BACK that way you'll be firing through a swarm of players. We do a lot of good corridor defense and can rip up to 5 people attempting to break through gates and and breaks in a wall. If we're well prepared when such an event occurs. But that usually requires that you have a nice zerg counter attacking as the wall or gate comes down. Shock and awe style like. But lot of the Rangers will go Soulbeast with the Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire pets for the bond. I go LB +Axe/Axe. The idea is to use as much burst as possible in the shortest amount of time. Rapid Fire, Whirling Defense, and Smoke Assault. Some players are not ready for it. But a lot now are trained to expect that much burst in close proximity that all they have to do is, dodge backwards once...and their outside of our burst area, on the second burst. Reason why you have Smoke Assault with bonded Smokescale to get right back up into the target. Lot of players say that Rangers and/or medium classes are not good for head to head, but that's not true. Proper Runes/Sigils and traits can get you up in the armored department pretty easily. Our problem comes down to one thing that critically messes us up. And that's large condi bursts. If you have enough condi clears with the right pet, heal, and nourishment you can last longer in a fight. Since we're relegated to being kicked out of zergs...we don't get the added bonus of permaboon share from the zerg when we need condi clears and/or STABILITY. We get his with cripple with no condi clears from the main allied zerg and ...yah we're toast. When i'm with the zerg and hitting up the extra boons, I survive a lot longer if not survive the fight a lot longer than I should have. Outside the zerg, it's a losing proposition since you dont' have that boonshare. Otherwise....lol...your only and last chance is Druid...…"Vitality, Toughness, Concentration" with Monk runes and Sigils that burst heal on swap. You'll NEVER do any damage that would make Balthazar Proud, but i'm pretty sure you'll be blessed by Dwayna with no problem with surviving and group heal with absolutely no problem what so ever. We do have our uses. I just get tired of people stating otherwise. It's gotten...old.

@"KeyOrion.9506" said:"Soulbeasts serve a niche role". And that's the problem. We were supposed to be the multi dual role, jack of all trades class. But being a jack of all trades basically means your really good at nothing specific. Believe it or not if you have ENOUGH rangers, LB5 can cut a lawn faster than a lawnmower on steroids. Three rangers with LB5 can actually down a lot of players that weren't expecting the dmg from multiple sources, at the same time as slowing those waltzing through our cripple field. And yes, we're not all single pew pew. We can trait to hit through the first target and to 4 more targets...only if their standing directly behind your target. That's why most traited rangers will target the guy in the BACK that way you'll be firing through a swarm of players. We do a lot of good corridor defense and can rip up to 5 people attempting to break through gates and and breaks in a wall. If we're well prepared when such an event occurs. But that usually requires that you have a nice zerg counter attacking as the wall or gate comes down. Shock and awe style like. But lot of the Rangers will go Soulbeast with the Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire pets for the bond. I go LB +Axe/Axe. The idea is to use as much burst as possible in the shortest amount of time. Rapid Fire, Whirling Defense, and Smoke Assault. Some players are not ready for it. But a lot now are trained to expect that much burst in close proximity that all they have to do is, dodge backwards once...and their outside of our burst area, on the second burst. Reason why you have Smoke Assault with bonded Smokescale to get right back up into the target. Lot of players say that Rangers and/or medium classes are not good for head to head, but that's not true. Proper Runes/Sigils and traits can get you up in the armored department pretty easily. Our problem comes down to one thing that critically messes us up. And that's large condi bursts. If you have enough condi clears with the right pet, heal, and nourishment you can last longer in a fight. Since we're relegated to being kicked out of zergs...we don't get the added bonus of permaboon share from the zerg when we need condi clears and/or STABILITY. We get his with cripple with no condi clears from the main allied zerg and ...yah we're toast. When i'm with the zerg and hitting up the extra boons, I survive a lot longer if not survive the fight a lot longer than I should have. Outside the zerg, it's a losing proposition since you dont' have that boonshare. Otherwise....lol...your only and last chance is Druid...…"Vitality, Toughness, Concentration" with Monk runes and Sigils that burst heal on swap. You'll NEVER do any damage that would make Balthazar Proud, but i'm pretty sure you'll be blessed by Dwayna with no problem with surviving and group heal with absolutely no problem what so ever. We do have our uses. I just get tired of people stating otherwise. It's gotten...old.

So can a few weavers with their meteor showers and 10 man CC. Who would've thought. Good luck hitting 5 people with piercing arrows.

Druid sadly doesn't have as good healing potential as other healers (except maybe FB) nor very good uptime on those heals. It has 0 boon spam, very low radius and almost non existent cleanses. It's only purpose in wvw/pvp is being annoying with constant stealth disengage and self sustain/cleanses, which is basically useful in small scale. Even soulbeast makes a better support than druid in wvw.

@"vinc.6047" said:As much as I love this game I am shocked that Anet has let the Ranger become such a horrible pvp class. Everyone should just run with Necro, Ele, etc and then they would have to fix this bs. The ranger is a crucial fighter in a large scale fight except for in this game. All cloth classes should be cowering in fear when they see rangers. Pvp in this game is too kitten out of balance.

Ranger are amazing everywhere.Except for Zerging.

If ranger had a non projectile AoE weapon, they would even be amazing in zerging.

I run ranger exclusively in zergs. I run backline. Knowing when to drop the LB5 AOE damage is critical if you want to be useful. Running the big of boon boost etc that soulbeast has can be useful if you have a group running backline with you. Also people think Ranger is about hitting one person at a time... WRONG, spec it correctly and hit many, not just one.

Taking out wall siege is done by ele's and rangers. Most squads have very few ele's and rangers... the ones that throw rangers out are either fight only squads, or just don't care about wall siege.

As for zerg support. Not every class provides support in a zerg. Don't even talk to me about warrior/spellbreakers because pfft. I've run everything and I kill so many more enemy with my soulbeast build than I ever did with any other class. Anyone that thinks that a solid super DPS class isn't needed in a zerg simply hasn't seen someone that knows how to run on properly.

Now as to the OP's question.. You die because your build is wrong and haven't yet learned to play whatever flavour of ranger you're using. If you want a zerg to have a bit of warm and fuzzies about your ranger you need to prove that you're a beast. Can you solo a tower with it for example? Can you take down a T1 camp and get the ring up BEFORE the swords appear? Can you take down that simple little sentry in less than 3 seconds?

imo, the key to figuring out how to survive on a Ranger is to go out and roam with it. Find some friends and run a small roaming/havoc group. LEARN the class. People talk smack that it's just pewpew and anyone can play it. I can say the same about all classes. There is literally NO class that anyone can just "walk into" and be useful at. No not even Firebrand like some suggest.

I have all classes, fully upgraded, all ascended, blahblahblah.. know how to play each of them. I choose my Soulbeast simply because it's a lot more fun for me than the others and because I can support my zergs in ways they understand... and frankly all this talk about being kicked out of zergs... I've never seen it. Possibly that's because I've run with people here for years and they know me and what I can do? Not sure, but I have to say I've seen lots of people that run rangers that make me smh.

Get good, very very good... run along side a squad and get to know people. If you're committed to Ranger then it's going to take some time if you're new to it. It's only simple to those people that don't know it.

The fact that you need a giant wall of text, just to even try to make Ranger look usefull, says alot.

Same old problems.

Sure, Ranger can be usefull if the player behind it is skilled enough.

But 99% of rangers are kitten bad.

On the other side, even a monkey is usefull if he plays scourge.

Most Rangers would increase thier usefullnes by playing Meta ALOT.

@"vinc.6047" said:As much as I love this game I am shocked that Anet has let the Ranger become such a horrible pvp class. Everyone should just run with Necro, Ele, etc and then they would have to fix this bs. The ranger is a crucial fighter in a large scale fight except for in this game. All cloth classes should be cowering in fear when they see rangers. Pvp in this game is too kitten out of balance.

Ranger are amazing everywhere.Except for Zerging.

If ranger had a non projectile AoE weapon, they would even be amazing in zerging.

I run ranger exclusively in zergs. I run backline. Knowing when to drop the LB5 AOE damage is critical if you want to be useful. Running the big of boon boost etc that soulbeast has can be useful if you have a group running backline with you. Also people think Ranger is about hitting one person at a time... WRONG, spec it correctly and hit many, not just one.

Taking out wall siege is done by ele's and rangers. Most squads have very few ele's and rangers... the ones that throw rangers out are either fight only squads, or just don't care about wall siege.

As for zerg support. Not every class provides support in a zerg. Don't even talk to me about warrior/spellbreakers because pfft. I've run everything and I kill so many more enemy with my soulbeast build than I ever did with any other class. Anyone that thinks that a solid super DPS class isn't needed in a zerg simply hasn't seen someone that knows how to run on properly.

Now as to the OP's question.. You die because your build is wrong and haven't yet learned to play whatever flavour of ranger you're using. If you want a zerg to have a bit of warm and fuzzies about your ranger you need to prove that you're a beast. Can you solo a tower with it for example? Can you take down a T1 camp and get the ring up BEFORE the swords appear? Can you take down that simple little sentry in less than 3 seconds?

imo, the key to figuring out how to survive on a Ranger is to go out and roam with it. Find some friends and run a small roaming/havoc group. LEARN the class. People talk smack that it's just pewpew and anyone can play it. I can say the same about all classes. There is literally NO class that anyone can just "walk into" and be useful at. No not even Firebrand like some suggest.

I have all classes, fully upgraded, all ascended, blahblahblah.. know how to play each of them. I choose my Soulbeast simply because it's a lot more fun for me than the others and because I can support my zergs in ways they understand... and frankly all this talk about being kicked out of zergs... I've never seen it. Possibly that's because I've run with people here for years and they know me and what I can do? Not sure, but I have to say I've seen lots of people that run rangers that make me smh.

Get good, very very good... run along side a squad and get to know people. If you're committed to Ranger then it's going to take some time if you're new to it. It's only simple to those people that don't know it.

The fact that you need a giant wall of text, just to even try to make Ranger look usefull, says alot.

Same old problems.

Sure, Ranger can be usefull if the player behind it is skilled enough.

But 99% of rangers are kitten bad.

Most Rangers would increase thier usefullnes by playing Meta ALOT.

I won't speak to the viability of ranger in a zerg as that has been discussed to death in other threads in this forum and the ranger forum. I'm going to answer the OPs questions directly based on my experience. My strategy is to neither play in the back or directly on the front line during the initial push. Rather I'll wait for tag to push and then join the zerg 1 to 2 tick later. By that point you've avoided the majority of the initial bomb (so you don't die immediately) and you can provide some spike damage in the ball at critical times. You kind of play similar to a daredevil. Hope in, spike, then hop right out and reset. FWIW, I play a semi tanky boonshare build (not sure if boonshare is worth that much but I figure every little bit helps). I merge with my arctodus, hit endure pain and bear stance. Moa stance, warhorn 5, axe 3, Sic'Em, One Wolf Pack, hop in, Maul, hiltbash, wordly impact, maul and hope out. Reset and repeat. I can't speak to the overall merits to this method as a whole, but it works for me and I have fun with it.

@Ryudnard.2587 said:The pew pew pew seemed kind of fun and chill. So I tried Soulbeast Power build with Long Bow using the Stance Share build. And man, I just die so many times following the tag. If I stay front line, I literally die in like 2 seconds. If I stay in the tail, I die to random conditions. I was using full Berserker, but isn't all rangers like this? Do I need some toughness or vitality even as a glass cannon in WvW? Any tips to play Rangers really well in squad?

u have been in wrong position all the time.go to sides and keep shit load of distances and retreat fast.

tho as ranger no matter how fun it might look when some1 else is doing it u wont get much kills neither alot of fun better off roaming as ranger

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

... most text deleted since it's not required for this reply ...

Completely disagree with this statement. If you're not a good scourge you die easily and you aren't much of a help period if you don't really know how and when to drop those shades, marks etc. I kill poor scourges like they're npc's... without much effort at all... and those monkeys can't even hurt me.. .nope not useful unless you know how TO PLAY your given class.

@reddie.5861 said:

u have been in wrong position all the time.go to sides and keep kitten load of distances and retreat fast.

tho as ranger no matter how fun it might look when some1 else is doing it u wont get much kills neither alot of fun better off roaming as ranger

lol have to disagree with the last statement... I get so many kills when I'm zerging that I have to start off with a good set of empty bags ... even then I run the salvage tool now and then just to keep room for more trinkets and trash.