Please, no more new Outfits, we need armor sets - RIGHT????

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Realistically what are our options? Believe the reasons given by the people who actually do the work, or assume they're lying to us because someone on the internet with absolutely no experience or knowledge of how it's done has declared that it should be easier.

In any other situation like that who would you trust? If a pilot said he has to cancel a flight because it's too dangerous to fly in the current weather conditions and a random passenger says they don't think it's that bad and the pilot clearly can't be bothered to make the trip would you believe the pilot or the passenger?

Yes never believe everything u hear believe what u see."Trust but verify" is indeed a good policy. But what exactly is it you think people see that contradicts what ANet is saying?

Why ppl always believe and repeat what Anet says 8-9 months one armor set. 3 armor sets = Needsame time to do an expansion? I highly doubt thatWhy do you doubt that? Do you have experience with creating an MMO? With releasing massive amounts of code that cover some 50 maps, 1000s of loot tables, 1000s of animations? With designing armor that has to work for 10 different gender+race configurations, with mix & match with all existing armors, with all existing animations?

Ur belief is weak as my non beliefOn the contrary, one statement is based on professional expertise and one is based on personal belief.

I already gave an example 1 expansion need 2 years to make for Anet 2 armor sets 18 months arcordiing to Anet an outfit need how long 1 months ?

The game started with how many armors at core ? U tell me they worked 10 + years on armors before release ?

I don’t trust “professional”statements I trust what I see

When a company makes a game like this they hire as many people as they need to finish the game in the time allotted. They take on debt and hope to recoup at launch. That’s what ANet did also. They hired a large number of temporary contract workers whose job ended when the game finished. They didn’t make a complete MMO with 200 or so permanent devs.

Now show me the number if Anet has less people now than at launch even with the layoffs

Plus how many people are hired for outfits ? Vs how many are hired for armor design. Why u trying so hard all ur arguments like yeah they need 9 months because they only have one guy do all the armor so hire more !

Drop the outfit department pulll them over to armor

The real reason they don’t do armor is mix and match what makes it harder to sell armor on a periodic base. Outfits u wear u get bored u buy a new one. It’s just they found out that this format make people buy more.

Same reason items in the gemshop are only limited time available

Edit yes they also probably outsource things likes outfits and armor I doubt those armor design companies have less people now

Edit again and even with outsourcing armor design for core game where are the 9 months come from?

When people say 9 months it comes from this quote.

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it's like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That's for a normal armor set -- legendary is much longer.) It's not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

I see here that a full set takes 9 months, and that means including all three armor weights. If ANet designed only one weight then they could release them on a 3 month schedule, which would match LS release schedules.

I'd personally be totally fine if they released one armor set on the gem store with each LS release (instead of a single piece which is acquired in game), but apparently the vocal playerbase asked or this release method instead.

They said that armors were so expensive that they were reserved for expansions. However if they’re not going to have expansions then they should definitely release one set of one weight with each Living Story episode. Of course the players with the other weights will complain but I agree with you that would be a good compromise.They alread did release two armor sets with three weights each in Season 4, so I assume they are good for this 6-episode season in your book :) .

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"zeekyafreak.8215" said:Why would anyone in the community push back against this? Its not an economic reality when there are other games that are able to continually put out new skins and outfits. It's just not a priority even though players ask regularly for it. Ideally Anet should do a survey and find out what majority of the player base wants.How many of those "other games" are subscription based? That's what makes this an economic reality.

Subscriptions have nothing to do with it. MMOs in general have moved away from the subscription model, not because the studios felt generous but because the alternatives are more profitable. And many of those have armor sets of multiple weights.

That said, the decision to go with outfits is obviously a business one. Outfits are cheaper and faster to make. And since gem store gets updates more often than in-game, it's much easier to keep up with the schedule making outfits than 3-weight armor sets.

I was agreeing with you at the start and thought, i would probably feel different about outfit if they were unlockable behind collections and achievements.

Of course i prefer armor set made of several parts that you can change, but if the dev say this is way to much work because of clipping and outfits are the solution, at least dont put those incredible outfit in the store and leave the 'meh' armor as rewards for achievement and collection.

@rozados.1928 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:We just got two new full sets of armor the last episode.

I still don't know where I can preview those or how they are called... Help appreciated.

(Elegy and Requiem)

Personally I think it's unbelievable ... I do not understand how such a good and creative team can make Outfits equally incredible (Links below) and deliver the ELEGY and REQUIEM armors sets so simplistic. being that they did a phenomenal job in the raid SET

Elegy -
Requien -
RAID SET (heavy) -

Hard work, detailed, incredible work .. go to the outfits...

Inquest -
Lunatic -
Mad Scientist -
Pathfinder -
Sentinel -
Timekeeper -
Exo Suit -
Fallen Balthazar -
Balthazar's Regalia -

@"kharmin.7683" said:MMOs have moved away from subscription models? Really? I find that difficult to believe.

Subscriptions have A LOT to do with it because games that are financed by this type of business model will have a more consistent (and mandatory) cash flow.

Yes, they have. There are various lists online but I picked Massively since they specialize in MMO coverage.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/05/perfect-ten-the-healthiest-live-mmorpgs-at-the-end-of-2018/

From that top ten only two are subscription based, with WoW being one of them. F2P/B2P draw with MtX has been proven to be more profitable than traditional sub-based models. That's why even the two subscription games on there have added cash stores. Microtransactions are a golden goose, unlike anything the industry has seen before.

To go back on topic, I'm fine with outfits instead of armors in the cash store, it makes sense with the pace of new set releases there. I 'd like more armor sets in game though.

I don't mind outfits, they are very well detailed and can be good for creating some unorthodox looks (e.g. heavy/medium armor themed outfit used on a light armor class and vice versa). However, their drawback for me is that in many cases there is some part of the outfit that I dislike. Then there is also the clone effect, I don't want to look the same as a hundred other players using the same outfit as I. The ability to mixmatch armor pieces allows us to create more personalised looks for our characters.
I just wish they would create new cultural armor sets. I really like mixmatching, but sadly you don't have much option with sylvari armor. Most of the new outfits and armors are designed for humans. :( At least make more cultural-themed outfits for the other 4 races (though actual armor pieces would be better still).