Why not just make Dragon Emblem Clothing Outfit for sale on the gemstore for 0 gems

It would make it fair for everyone EU and USFrom what I've heard even some US players didn't get the codes because they ran out of codesSeems like greedy people abused this promotion to make easy money and sell these codes for 40~80$ on virtual shops.

It happned before with your kung fu tea thingy promotion and now its happening again.Just sell it for 0 gems, that way everyone will enjoy and obtain it and the people who were greedy enough to make dozens of users will get absolutely nothing.

Reward your playerbase and punish the exploiters seems like a fair deal right?!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

It had prestige.

Years later anet gave it out for free.

Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

It had prestige.

Now nobody cares about it.Its worthless mini nobody care about.

Prestige outfit...I like the way you see things...BTW how is making this item US exclusive a prestige item?!

Prestige skin, lol. You post screenies of that on Instagram or something?

To OP: the reason is that this promotion is designed to drive traffic towards a promotional partner, in this case Alienware, said traffic which is then remunerated to ANET.

In other words, players go to Alienware site to get "prestige" skin, Alienware sends money to ANET.

If players go to ANET gem store to get "prestige" skin for 0 gems, ANET pockets $0 in revenue.

Don't mistake the re-release of this "prestige" skin as something ANET did because of their love for the community - this was purely a business decision (as most of their decisions are, because spoiler alert, they are a company that exists to make money)

Because giving the outfit away is not the reason behind the issue... its more about getting hold of that juicy data you have to provide in order to get the outfit and the laws surrounding some of that outside of the US.If it were about giving the outfit out, of course they can just add it to the store.. they regularly push "0" Gem items out to the community. It's just another bad taste idea being pushed out is all imo.

This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Prestige skin, lol. You post screenies of that on Instagram or something?

To OP: the reason is that this promotion is designed to drive traffic towards a promotional partner, in this case Alienware, said traffic which is then remunerated to ANET.

In other words, players go to Alienware site to get "prestige" skin, Alienware sends money to ANET.

If players go to ANET gem store to get "prestige" skin for 0 gems, ANET pockets $0 in revenue.

Don't mistake the re-release of this "prestige" skin as something ANET did because of their love for the community - this was purely a business decision (as most of their decisions are, because spoiler alert, they are a company that exists to make money)

Right. How much is Alienware paying Anet for the player data that is being freely given when players "register"? To whom else is Alienware then selling that data?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Prestige skin, lol. You post screenies of that on Instagram or something?

Right. How much is Alienware paying Anet for the player data that is being freely given when players "register"? To whom else is Alienware then selling that data?

This is the point of the promo.. ANET get something in return for steering traffic over to Alienware for you to pass your juicy details to them.. Outside of NA that may cause issues and lawsuits.But the fact ANET are prepared to "yet again" push a 2 tier community is what leaves the bad stink. So as I said previously the only thing players can do if they want to show their disapproval of this kind of thing is keep the wallet shut.

Thankfully I was able to get the outfit during this event and its by far the best thing Ive gotten in the past 5 years of the 6 im playing, trenchcoat and buttcape wars is over for me.That being said imo there should be a promotion akin to buy 4k gems for 50$ and get the outfit for free during xx:xx date. That will boost gem sales, same with that ingame gw2 hat, if you group that with a $$ for gems promotions Im sure anet will bank hard.

@InvaGir.9158 said:Just sell it for 0 gems, that way everyone will enjoy and obtain it and the people who were greedy enough to make dozens of users will get absolutely nothing.

Reward your playerbase and punish the exploiters seems like a fair deal right?!

They could change it, but they wont. Because they have no other unique item to give away for promotions to make said promotions effective enough, and making a new item for promotions like these would meet with similar problems, with more investment.

They could ofcourse pick anything else in the gemstore, but those are specifically bought with gems and thus people spend effort/gold or actual money on those, giving those for free would be slightly controversial as well.

I dunno, I think that such promotional items given away for free misses the point of advertising completely.

However, if they had regular promotions like this, where everyone could get the skin in the end, that would be nice to know. Now its like: i need to wait for a random promotion Arenanet does to get lucky.

@Jaquelidor.2618 said:I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

Oh well.

I made the mistake of registering my second account and now I have to go contact contact@alienwarearena.com to get it deleted.

@Zalani.9827 said:

@Jaquelidor.2618 said:I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

Oh well.

I made the mistake of registering my second account and now I have to go contact contact@alienwarearena.com to get it deleted.

Great promotion arenanet.

How is that their fault?

Oh well.

So you didn't participate in the promotion, didn't get the reward, decided to continue not participating, and now you're mad at them?

Oh well.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

It had prestige.

Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

This outfit hasn't been rare for a long time. It was already given out for free with some bubble tea promotion a while back.

@Trise.2865 said:

Oh well.

So you didn't participate in the promotion, didn't get the reward, decided to continue not participating, and now you're mad at them?

Oh well.

A multibillion dollar company doesn't need you to defend them. I participated in the promotion and didn't get the reward. They can spend more than 5 seconds planning a promotion and think ahead of how the player base will view it instead of jumping on the first company that makes an offer and waves a dollar bill in front of their face.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"Jaquelidor.2618" said:I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

Oh well.

Oh well.

I would have been quite willing to participate but the one item I was interested in, the one item it seems most of the players in these threads was interested in, was of such a limited quantity it was gone before the blast even reached some players. To me that seems very poor planning on ANet, Dell, and Alienware's part. I would think they would want as many people participating as possible in their campaign rather than create a situation that would turn players away and create ill will.

Also, I'm not "mad at them". I think the word "disappointed" would be more apt. Perhaps with a touch of "bewildered" at their executing such a poorly thought out promotion.

The purpose of running promotions through third parties is to have access to the audience that the third party has, which presumably includes people who are not yet part of your own audience; it would be completely self-defeating to give away a promo-exclusive item from within the game since you are not bringing in any new players. While it would make things convenient for existing players, it is not a realistic answer as it does not achieve any of the company's goals for giving away these items.

That said, it is true that Anet seems to be choosing some very questionable partners to be working with. But on the flipside, I think players here are missing another reality of the marketing business: such partners may be the only ones willing to work with Anet under the terms that they are seeking. To wit, you get what you pay for.