Fix matchmaker

Faux Play.6104

I'm at the point where I'm sick of getting put in matches where there are large skill gaps on teams. Top 100+ players should not be on the same team with gold2/3 players. Every single match I'm queuing as gold 2/3 has people with relentless legend or higher titles. There is a huge skill difference between plat 2 plus and gold players. I have no interest in spending the time to get to a plat 2 level, I just want to queue with people near my rating level. The biggest issue seems to be the top players just want to farm gold players for rating vs. fighting each other.

1. To me the biggest issue is alts. There should only be one rating for a player across all alts.
  2. The next is the soft reset and high rating deviation at the start of the season. It gives people huge rating swings in both directions and reduces the overall match quality. Combine that with alt accounts, and you have a mess of people in divisions they don't belong in throughout the season.
  3. Remove the tools that allow people to queue dodge. Friend/block lists shouldn't let people know if someone is in a match. Remove the ability to bail out of a match once it is made. This makes it too easy for people to sync or dodge matches.
  4. Allow players to limit the rating range of players considered for teammates. I'd rather be in a match where I'm with 1400 rated players vs. a team that is all 1600+ players then have them mixed. The mixed matches just piss of everyone and to top it off they push people of different skill levels closer together vs. driving them apart. High rated players that lose end up with a big rating hit, and low rated players that win end up with an excessive rating boost. If it was all 1400s vs all 1600s, then the low rated players would deserve to the extra points for winning a match they shouldn't' vs. getting a big boost for winning a 50/50 match.

@"Faux Play.6104" said:I'm at the point where I'm sick of getting put in matches where there are large skill gaps on teams. Top 100+ players should not be on the same team with gold2/3 players. Every single match I'm queuing as gold 2/3 has people with relentless legend or higher titles. There is a huge skill difference between plat 2 plus and gold players. I have no interest in spending the time to get to a plat 2 level, I just want to queue with people near my rating level. The biggest issue seems to be the top players just want to farm gold players for rating vs. fighting each other.

This is happening cuz you prolly play at late night/early morning time, the population is low and it's either this or very long queue times, which are already a lot longer than usual even with this unbalanced matches

1. To me the biggest issue is alts. There should only be one rating for a player across all alts.

When ppl say alts, it's not alt characters it's alt accounts which I'm pretty sure anet can't do nothing about, cuz even if they track IP you could be sharing PC with your brother and they can't "ban" this. All characters in the same account use the same rating.

1. The next is the soft reset and high rating deviation at the start of the season. It gives people huge rating swings in both directions and reduces the overall match quality. Combine that with alt accounts, and you have a mess of people in divisions they don't belong in throughout the season.

Oh well, the only thing you can do here is wait the first weekend after the season begins, by monday 90% of players should be properly placed.

1. Remove the tools that allow people to queue dodge. Friend/block lists shouldn't let people know if someone is in a match. Remove the ability to bail out of a match once it is made. This makes it too easy for people to sync or dodge matches.

No thx, too useful of a tool, I'd rather play 5% of my matches against a high plat that will get out of there in no time than lose the ability of tracking down all those trashtalker and known afkers that will hurt my MMR much harder.

1. Allow players to limit the rating range of players considered for teammates. I'd rather be in a match where I'm with 1400 rated players vs. a team that is all 1600+ players then have them mixed. The mixed matches just kitten of everyone and to top it off they push people of different skill levels closer together vs. driving them apart. High rated players that lose end up with a big rating hit, and low rated players that win end up with an excessive rating boost. If it was all 1400s vs all 1600s, then the low rated players would deserve to the extra points for winning a match they shouldn't' vs. getting a big boost for winning a 50/50 match.

Again, this is a low populated time issue, go back to the first answer, with this tool you suggesting you could literally never find a match.

@Maddog.3716 said:How then will Gold players learn to play with a strong opponent? You probably haven't thought about it.

When you get closer to gold 3 you get a lot of plat ppl on losing streaks or decay, that's being slowly introduced lol. I think he's talking about the low pop time, where le wild plat 2 appears destroys your game and the skill gap is so huge that you can't really learn nothing because you were nearly 1 shot everytime you met the plat 2 in a v1

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Maddog.3716 said:How then will Gold players learn to play with a strong opponent? You probably haven't thought about it.

When you get closer to gold 3 you get a lot of plat ppl on losing streaks or decay, that's being slowly introduced lol. I think he's talking about the low pop time, where le wild plat 2 appears destroys your game and the skill gap is so huge that you can't really learn nothing because you were nearly 1 shot everytime you met the plat 2 in a v1

Agree. But the same can happen on silver 100/500 without hight plat lvl. Someone at all first lucky and fly to platinum in the first 10 games.

@Maddog.3716 said:

Agree. But the same can happen on silver 100/500 without hight plat lvl. Someone at all first lucky and fly to platinum in the first 10 games.

I have tested this in a certain range. You are kinda bounded to your previous rank when you do your placament, when I played my first placement ever i went 4/6 and was placed silver 2, then I climbed to gold 2, next placement I went the same 4/6 and I was placed gold 2 this time. This makes me believe you gotta do really well or really bad to be placed 100 + or - of your previous rank.

@Khalisto.5780 said:

I have tested this in a certain range. You are kinda bounded to your previous rank when you do your placament, when I played my first placement ever i went 4/6 and was placed silver 2, then I climbed to gold 2, next placement I went the same 4/6 and I was placed gold 2 this time. This makes me believe you gotta do really well or really bad to be placed 100 + or - of your previous rank.

As if the game is playing with our minds )). It's the truth.In the first month of the game I went to after 80lvl pvp and got to Plat2. I was lucky with the team. I didn't even know what my badge meant.I was playing for core guardian and I thought, wow, how cool am I?This is really funny now I understand it.P. S. Not a very pleasant selection system.

@Maddog.3716 said:

As if the game is playing with our minds )). It's the truth.In the first month of the game I went to after 80lvl pvp and got to Plat2. I was lucky with the team. I didn't even know what my badge meant.I was playing for core guardian and I thought, wow, how cool am I?This is really funny now I understand it.P. S. Not a very pleasant selection system.

Teach how to be plat pls, I'm having trouble getting passed gold 3, not sure if it's lacking of skill with the classes or overall game mechanics and decision making that are holding me back

@Khalisto.5780 said:

Teach how to be plat pls, I'm having trouble getting passed gold 3, not sure if it's lacking of skill with the classes or overall game mechanics and decision making that are holding me back

Lol this is joke? )) I told you seriously. Now it is very hard for me to get to p1. After a large number of games I play on p1. After first 10 games, me usually throws in silver 3 or gold 1. At the moment I play on p1 and my path goes from the bottom. But I knew for sure if I played further in core guardian. I could have been higher.I think gold 2 and gold 3 is no different from some plat.

@Maddog.3716 said:

Lol this is joke? )) I told you seriously. Now it is very hard for me to get to p1. After a large number of games I play on p1. After first 10 games, me usually throws in silver 3 or gold 1. At the moment I play on p1 and my path goes from the bottom.I think gold 2 and gold 3 is no different from some plat.

oh lol, sorry. We're kinda in the same mmr range then. I'm climbing all the way from bronze, already in gold 1 I think, it's not hard till I get close to 1400, that's when the struggle begins

@Khalisto.5780 said:

Lol this is joke? )) I told you seriously. Now it is very hard for me to get to p1. After a large number of games I play on p1. After first 10 games, me usually throws in silver 3 or gold 1. At the moment I play on p1 and my path goes from the bottom.I think gold 2 and gold 3 is no different from some plat.

oh lol, sorry. We're kinda in the same mmr range then. I'm climbing all the way from bronze, already in gold 1 I think, it's not hard till I get close to 1400, that's when the struggle begins

But I knew for sure if I played further in core guardian. I could have been higher.I bought the game and made main Rev. Very surprised when I became more difficult to play after buying the game. I do not understand how Anet it is encourages.

There is a little advice on how to get to platinumStop with the games during, you can lose 5-7 fights in a row. Better to try in the next day or after some time after 2 defeats

@Maddog.3716 said:

But I knew for sure if I played further in core guardian. I could have been higher.I bought the game and made main Rev. Very surprised when I became more difficult to play after buying the game. I do not understand how Anet it is encourages.

There is a little advice on how to get to platinumStop with the games during, you can lose 5-7 fights in a row. Better to try in the next day or after some time after 2 defeats

lol, I stop playing after 2 losses in a row and I never play more than 2 hours in a row, even if I'm winning most matches, I feel that my general gameplay loses quality and I get toxic much more easily.

@Khalisto.5780I think that is the whole problem with the matchmaker and the population after a while the game is not giving you any incentive to play it more then 1 or 2 matches a day, there are some nick nacks but after a while people stop caring about them. People are not having fun with the game because they are being punished for playing the game.Also circle quest gets stale after a while. Spoiled child tantrum time: Give 2v2 and 3v3 arenas in a queue.

@Maddog.3716 said:

@Devilman.1532 said:trying to figure out this game's broken kitten matchmaker and balancing decisions will give you an ulcer and make your head explode like in Scanners.Are psychedelics involved in the development of the system? :)

I wouldn't doubt they were beyond trippin bear balls when they came up with that and these balance patches.

@Vancho.8750 said:@Khalisto.5780I think that is the whole problem with the matchmaker and the population after a while the game is not giving you any incentive to play it more then 1 or 2 matches a day, there are some nick nacks but after a while people stop caring about them. People are not having fun with the game because they are being punished for playing the game.Also circle quest gets stale after a while. Spoiled child tantrum time: Give 2v2 and 3v3 arenas in a queue.

The only incentive I have is reaching plat and actually finish my video series climbing from bronze to plat, climbing the leaderboard is the only thing that makes ppl keep playing pvp btw, after reaching the pnt you want you just play the minimum matches required to stay in the leaderboards. Having bigger prizes could lead to something that already happens which is bring the afk farmers to pvp.

One thing I realized when I was trying to reach bronze to climb back to plat was, losing fast is more profitable than winning slowly, lower you go more toxic ppl are, when 1 afk everybody afks, you start losing matches so fast and this makes your reward tracks actually faster than playing normally where the matches are closer and much longer.

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@"Faux Play.6104" said:I'm at the point where I'm sick of getting put in matches where there are large skill gaps on teams. Top 100+ players should not be on the same team with gold2/3 players. Every single match I'm queuing as gold 2/3 has people with relentless legend or higher titles. There is a huge skill difference between plat 2 plus and gold players. I have no interest in spending the time to get to a plat 2 level, I just want to queue with people near my rating level. The biggest issue seems to be the top players just want to farm gold players for rating vs. fighting each other.

This is happening cuz you prolly play at late night/early morning time, the population is low and it's either this or very long queue times, which are already a lot longer than usual even with this unbalanced matches

Actually no. It was happening prime time on a Saturday.

When ppl say alts, it's not alt characters it's alt accounts which I'm pretty sure anet can't do nothing about, cuz even if they track IP you could be sharing PC with your brother and they can't "ban" this. All characters in the same account use the same rating.

Anet could require a phone text 2-factor authentication for a ranked account. You could authorize multiple copies of the game to the same number. All accounts would share the same rank.
  1. The next is the soft reset and high rating deviation at the start of the season. It gives people huge rating swings in both directions and reduces the overall match quality. Combine that with alt accounts, and you have a mess of people in divisions they don't belong in throughout the season.

Oh well, the only thing you can do here is wait the first weekend after the season begins, by monday 90% of players should be properly placed.

Not really because with alts, people can make a limitless number of free to play accounts. There are lots of people that switch to alts late in the season. It takes about 30 matches for your rating to stabilize so there are a lot of bad matches. If they want to reset then people shouldn't fall below the rating for their division/tier. E.g all gold 3 from last season start at 1400 rating, and only moderately increase the volatility.

1. Remove the tools that allow people to queue dodge. Friend/block lists shouldn't let people know if someone is in a match. Remove the ability to bail out of a match once it is made. This makes it too easy for people to sync or dodge matches.

No thx, too useful of a tool, I'd rather play 5% of my matches against a high plat that will get out of there in no time than lose the ability of tracking down all those trashtalker and known afkers that will hurt my MMR much harder.

This is the #1 reason why high rated people have long queue times. They won't play their mains against people at their rating. I'd rather have anet enforce their policies and give large stacks of dishonor to trolls.
  1. Allow players to limit the rating range of players considered for teammates. I'd rather be in a match where I'm with 1400 rated players vs. a team that is all 1600+ players then have them mixed. The mixed matches just kitten of everyone and to top it off they push people of different skill levels closer together vs. driving them apart. High rated players that lose end up with a big rating hit, and low rated players that win end up with an excessive rating boost. If it was all 1400s vs all 1600s, then the low rated players would deserve to the extra points for winning a match they shouldn't' vs. getting a big boost for winning a 50/50 match.

Again, this is a low populated time issue, go back to the first answer, with this tool you suggesting you could literally never find a match.

If people had the option to keep their team within 150 rating points of themselves, only a very small fraction of the people would have trouble finding a match. Increasing the frequency of ATs to hourly and counting rating gain/loss for AT matches would easily solve that problem.

@Khalisto.5780 said:

That is not really true. Your rating gain/loss is a lot more for the first fights than the last. The guild wars 2 system will start you with a rating of 1200 and a deviation of 350. So it is saying it is 95% sure you will be somewhere between a 500 and 1900 rating. As you play more matches your deviation will go down to a point.

The example plot shows two players who both went 6-4 over their first 10 placement matches. The blue player ended up in plat 1 while the red player ended up in silver 3. The dots represent their rating, and the error bars represent the 95% confidence interval of that rating. Each player played matches against opponents that were within 150 rating points. The blue player won their first 3 matches while the red player lost its first 2. The first matches have the biggest impact on your rating. Also, there is still overlap between the players predicted skill level even with a ~400 rating difference since they have not played enough matches to have a very accurate rating.

enD6MtM.png

@Faux Play.6104 said:

@Faux Play.6104 said:I'm at the point where I'm sick of getting put in matches where there are large skill gaps on teams. Top 100+ players should not be on the same team with gold2/3 players. Every single match I'm queuing as gold 2/3 has people with relentless legend or higher titles. There is a huge skill difference between plat 2 plus and gold players. I have no interest in spending the time to get to a plat 2 level, I just want to queue with people near my rating level. The biggest issue seems to be the top players just want to farm gold players for rating vs. fighting each other.

Actually no. It was happening prime time on a Saturday.

Prolly a decay case. Everytime I see a player clearly out of the curve I add to friends/block so I can dodge him.

Anet could require a phone text 2-factor authentication for a ranked account. You could authorize multiple copies of the game to the same number. All accounts would share the same rank.

Not really because with alts, people can make a limitless number of free to play accounts. There are lots of people that switch to alts late in the season. It takes about 30 matches for your rating to stabilize so there are a lot of bad matches. If they want to reset then people shouldn't fall below the rating for their division/tier. E.g all gold 3 from last season start at 1400 rating, and only moderately increase the volatility.

This is the #1 reason why high rated people have long queue times. They won't play their mains against people at their rating. I'd rather have anet enforce their policies and give large stacks of dishonor to trolls.

If people had the option to keep their team within 150 rating points of themselves, only a very small fraction of the people would have trouble finding a match. Increasing the frequency of ATs to hourly and counting rating gain/loss for AT matches would easily solve that problem.

All of this is assuming anet will put time/money/effort in pvp which they haven't done since hhmmm 2012. So it's even quit or adapt yourself to this reality.