I actually already own Guild Wars...

I own Guild Wars 1. I played it for several hours and abandoned it because the game was already ancient, I didn't see more than a few human players and I didn't want to get involved at the time anyway. Now they're advertising GW1 again and selling it through the store I kind of want to go and try GW1 again but, a dilemma: I've forgotten my credentials. The only thing I can be sure of is the e-mail address I used.

Another separate thing: my old phone number is linked with my GW2 account for 2 Step Verification but that's an old number on an old SIM card which has long since been lost. What can I do to remove that phone number and leave it omitted (or to add one later on)?

Appreciate it if someone could give me ideas about how to sort this.

If your GW1 and GW2 accounts are linked, then they will use the same email address and password. If you haven't already linked them, then this doesn't help since you need your GW1 password to set up the link.

The Arenanet account login page has a "Forgot your password?" link. However, once you have your password, you will also need a character name to log in to GW1. I'm not sure how you can find that out if you've forgotten - maybe GW2efficiency if you have an account with that? But I don't know because I don't use it.

For 2-step verification, once you've logged into your Arenanet account, the Security tab has an option to edit 2-step verification, which will allow you to unlink your phone.

The problem I seem to have run into is that I have forgotten my password, but if I go to the Guild Wars 1 webpage and try to login, it redirects me to the Arenanet website which I am already logged into (or If I am not, I Just sign in and tada, back to square one).

I remember years ago I had a uphill battle with NCSoft over Guild Wars 1 and countless account problems and it seems I now have that issue here. In 2011 I managed to get help from support and provided them with as much evidence as possible (including my 25-digit serial key) and was able to finally play. Now I can't do any sort of password reset because the NCSoft page simply says I don't have an account using that e-mail address. Clearly I did if I played GW1 under that e-mail address. Have they gone ahead and wiped my account by any chance, possibly due to inactivity? Yeah, it's an an 8 year old account, barely used, but... I paid for it, along with the expansions and I don't think it is exactly fair if I am expected to pay for it again, especially since they're recently started trying to bring people back to the game and advertise it in the GW2 Store.

Judging by a search online (while writing this), NCSoft has done this sort of thing before with another of their titles - those who didn't migrate accounts to their new system lost their accounts entirely. I do hope this hasn't happened to me, but it is worrying when the NCSoft page doesn't recognise my e-mail address as an account holder.

As for the unlink phone thing, I tried that before but it is asking me for a generated code which is sent to the number I no longer have.

I don't think an NCSoft account has anything to do with a GW1 or GW2 account - I just tried logging into it with the email address and password I use for GW1/GW2 and it didn't work, then when I tried to use the 'forgot your password' function it told me, as in your case, that there's no account with that email address. So I don't think that's anything to worry about.

Did you use a different email address for GW1 to the one you use for GW2? If so, can you try logging out of this Arenanet account and then use your GW1 account's email address with the 'forgot your password' link. If not (i.e. you use the same email address for both), does the overview of your Arenanet account list GW1 under 'Game Accounts'?

For unlinking the phone, since you don't have the SIM anymore, the Help with SMS Authentification page says you should contact the support team about it - there's a link in the 'I lost my phone! Help!' section.

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:I don't think an NCSoft account has anything to do with a GW1 or GW2 account - I just tried logging into it with the email address and password I use for GW1/GW2 and it didn't work, then when I tried to use the 'forgot your password' function it told me, as in your case, that there's no account with that email address. So I don't think that's anything to worry about.

Did you use a different email address for GW1 to the one you use for GW2? If so, can you try logging out of this Arenanet account and then use your GW1 account's email address with the 'forgot your password' link. If not (i.e. you use the same email address for both), does the overview of your Arenanet account list GW1 under 'Game Accounts'?

For unlinking the phone, since you don't have the SIM anymore, the Help with SMS Authentification page says you should contact the support team about it - there's a link in the 'I lost my phone! Help!' section.

I used the same e-mail address as I use now. GW1 is not listed under game accounts. :(

@Holgarf.6581 said:

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:I don't think an NCSoft account has anything to do with a GW1 or GW2 account - I just tried logging into it with the email address and password I use for GW1/GW2 and it didn't work, then when I tried to use the 'forgot your password' function it told me, as in your case, that there's no account with that email address. So I don't think that's anything to worry about.

For unlinking the phone, since you don't have the SIM anymore, the
says you should contact the support team about it - there's a link in the 'I lost my phone! Help!' section.

I used the same e-mail address as I use now. GW1 is not listed under game accounts. :(

Ok, I think that means that your GW1 and GW2 accounts aren't linked, rather than that the GW1 account doesn't exist anymore - but I think you will have to put in a support ticket. Remember that to sign into GW1 you'll need a character name as well as your password, so if you can't remember one you should ask them about that too. (If you know someone else with a GW1 account who has you on their friends list, then a character name from your account will appear in the list - so that's a possible alternative.)

• 3 weeks later...

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:I don't think an NCSoft account has anything to do with a GW1 or GW2 account - I just tried logging into it with the email address and password I use for GW1/GW2 and it didn't work, then when I tried to use the 'forgot your password' function it told me, as in your case, that there's no account with that email address. So I don't think that's anything to worry about.

For unlinking the phone, since you don't have the SIM anymore, the
says you should contact the support team about it - there's a link in the 'I lost my phone! Help!' section.

Ok, I think that means that your GW1 and GW2 accounts aren't linked, rather than that the GW1 account doesn't exist anymore - but I think you will have to put in a support ticket. Remember that to sign into GW1 you'll need a character name as well as your password, so if you can't remember one you should ask them about that too. (If you know someone else with a GW1 account who has you on their friends list, then a character name from your account will appear in the list - so that's a possible alternative.)

That sounds like a bad system to me. Password recovery doesn't work because the old GW1 website is a broken, abandoned mess and I cannot simply use my e-mail address as a recovery point. I'll put a ticket in within the nextf ew days but I suspect this will be another account related battle with ArenaNet over GW1, much like the other times years ago... I see nothing changes.