The Loyalist Paragon uses the following skills:

• Song of Restoration
  • Anthem of Flame
  • Throw Spear

The Loyalist Dervish uses the following skills:

• Grenth's Aura/Life Stealing Aura
  • Blinding Sandstorm
  • Steals Boons

Since they've already created some of the abilities for a completely ''profession''/elite-spec, I sure hope ANet decides to add Land-Spear/Trident or the original Polearm weapon mechanism with Paragon's skills and ditto with Dervish.I wish the Sun-Scythe was also a skin for Greatsword aswell. :disappointed:

I'd really like to see polearms, spears, and chakrams. I'd probably put scythes and great axes into the polearm category as both are bladed and could use similar animations. These weapons would focus on attacking a mob of enemies surrounding the player with a single-target defense-breaking attack on a long cooldown(to include the flavor of a great axe). Spears are more for stabbing/throwing, so would need to be separate from the other polearms. I think these weapons could play to the flavor of a legionnaire by increasing in effectiveness when in formations(or something like that). Let them generate buffs when near allies or something. Chakrams could serve as the light armor counterbalance. Chakrams are interesting as they can be an AoE, ranged weapon.

@"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:Scythes and spears as distinct weapon types really don't have any place in GW2, their niches have been filled by other weapons (greatsword/melee staff and a variety of short-range ranged weapons, respectively).

Also paragons already exist in GW2, they just learned how to wear pants and call themselves "guardians" now.

Thats nonsense, its all about immersion. By your reasoning we might just as well only have a bow, a staf and a sword and nothing else. That doesnt build a rich gameworld.

@Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:As for the Spear on land, that will probably have to hit for the warrior next elite, they're really isn't a weapon option for them outside a scepter or focus at this point. Though to be fair they could just make a caster warrior instead of the obvious.

Haha, yes! A stave-chucking warrior would be both hilarious and cool.

• 1 year later...

I get it, that yes a staff can look like a spear, but it doens't function like one. Even the Daredevil... A spear and a bo-staff function differently. Spear can do some things a staff can, but it's more meant for stabbing. But the main issue I have is... almost all the classes, with exception of Dare devil... use the staff in magical ways, not in physical ways. It would be vastly different, and as for skins, they already exist! At most, they would need to add a few more, but can do that over time; add new animations, yes, for each race and class; and skill rebalance. There are some classes out there, that only have 2 weapon sets for things like a Condition build, and they occupy both weapon set slots, leaving only one way to play that build, or vice versa where there's only 2 weapon sets that are power based. It'd give more customization to characters.

Underwater is underutilized. It's at least interesting, but not practical. Hardly anyone likes to do battles underwater (though I think part of it is the lack of customization. Condition build? Gotta use one weapon, and the other is lackluster, etc.) I would love to see both spear and trident be added to land combat, could even be as one weapon together "Polearm" that uses both sets of skins. If unlocked for underwater, can be used on land version. Easily having a bit more reach that a sword or mace.

• 9 months later...

I'm bummed that they haven't added spears at least. I'm just now coming back to playing the game after a few years and was really hoping for spears/fist weapons. I never got why they didn't just make staves into stave/spear. they could essentially keep all the skills and passives the same with just tweaks in animation.

@Alga.6498 said:The most requested ''weapon'' to become a land-weapon is the Spear, from the lastest patch ANet updated 2 additional Sunspear weapons along with 2 ''dark'' versions of spear and scythe. We will never get these weapons as new weapon mechanism as ANet would've got the biggest chance to add additional weapons to our wep category at this very moment as we're in Elona, which would be Paragon and Dervish's weapons.

Sunspear, Sunscythe, Darkspear and Oblivion are staff skins.As a veteran/GW1 player who wished and kept hoping for years for land-spears and scythe, Dervish and Paragons.

The closest I got to a dervish is to make either a Revenant with staff and scythe skin... or a Thief>Daredevil with staff also works pretty good as Derv.I have Asuran armour from Lion's Arch on my DD and a hood. Almost perfect derv.

Paragon is a lot harder to do as the closest thing to a throwing spear is the Guardian's Scepter, but I couldn't find a skin yet that looks like a spear.

@kratan.4619 said:Perhaps we could just make more of the existing weapon sets for the classes better first? Let me play a shield engi just as effectively as using pistols, etc.

I agree.I use shields for display purposes only.This is just my opinion, but the only effective one is the warrior's skill 4 with shield equipped.

Because they have 2 skill slots, at least one of them should have an attack combo, or could be thrown with a boomerang effect, rather than just blocking.

There are pretty cool attack combos that we could use with a shield.

Edit.Oh yeah, the mesmer also has a pretty neat shield attack.Almost forgot.

@"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:Scythes and spears as distinct weapon types really don't have any place in GW2, their niches have been filled by other weapons (greatsword/melee staff and a variety of short-range ranged weapons, respectively).

Also paragons already exist in GW2, they just learned how to wear pants and call themselves "guardians" now.

The broken weapons of the Sunspears have become daggers in the hands of their descendants, which they use to strike at the very fabric of magic and strip it from their foes. They meditate to see past their enemies' defenses, and they use their adrenaline to counter attacks.

That is due to Joko taking over Elona aka Nightfall in GW1, who made it illegal to have spears or scythes

@Alga.6498 said:The most requested ''weapon'' to become a land-weapon is the Spear, from the lastest patch ANet updated 2 additional Sunspear weapons along with 2 ''dark'' versions of spear and scythe. We will never get these weapons as new weapon mechanism as ANet would've got the biggest chance to add additional weapons to our wep category at this very moment as we're in Elona, which would be Paragon and Dervish's weapons.

Sunspear, Sunscythe, Darkspear and Oblivion are staff skins.

I just... have no words how ANet decided to do something like this... :disappointed:As a veteran/GW1 player who wished and kept hoping for years for land-spears and scythe to be available to players has simply been crushed and stomped on. This honestly hurts so much seeing NPCs Dervish and Paragons yet unable for us players. :cry:

I agree. It's pretty stupid - expanding weapons should have been one of the first things they started doing after the game's launch. It's really unfortunate how much wasted potential this game has.

Fail logic for an MMO. The lore was crafted to match the mechanics - not the other way around. This is what Anet wants you to think so you won't harass them about it, not what's best for the game and its players. In truth, more weapon types would have been one of the best ways to expand character options pretty much right out of the gate and it's something they should have been doing for the last 6 years.

Not introducing spears with Elona & instead crafting some lame lore around former spear-masters using daggers was one of the biggest dropped balls in the history of MMO gaming and it's a perfect example to illustrate why GW2 struggles more than it should.