Upcoming Bonus Events

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey all,

While the team is working toward the release of Episode 6 and the future of Guild Wars 2 development, a few of us are building out a stable of bonus events. You’ve already seen the World vs. World weeklong bonus event with no down state, and the Queen’s Jubilee Boss Blitz weekend, but soon we’ll release other bonus events. The first iterations of two of the planned events are complete, and we have two more in active development. Our intention is to run these during times when there are no major releases, and reward players for participating.

The first of these events, World Boss Week, starts May 6 and will run until May 13. During this week, all world boss kills in core Tyria zones will reward a Bonus Box of Goods in addition to normal loot drops.

The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week. During this week, our intention is to remove the daily cap on all world meta event completion rewards and to reward additional loot for some of our Meta-Events to pair with some improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.

While I can’t talk too much about what we have planned beyond that, we aren’t restricting ourselves to “inside the box” design for future events. Some of them may make significant shakeups to their game modes during the time they run. Future iterations we’re thinking about are:

• No daily limit on world boss loot
  • Rare harvesting nodes spawn after world boss kill
  • Community goals and rewards
  • Collections and meta achievements with titles

This is where our community comes in! We want to make events that leverage existing content and resources, while being fun and rewarding for you to play. We welcome your ideas for additional events and would love to hear your feedback on the events you’ve heard about so far, including their rewards.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shake is up, make raids bosses to spawn instead of world bosses randomly :) Don't drop LI, I don't wanna hear raiders riot.Just imagine usual zerg gets to daily Teq and surprise, it's Mat or someone esle.What is Bonus Box of Goods btw? 2 blues and a green?

Wouldn't hurt if you make that HoT map currency usuable, go for grind, 10k aulirium/ley for acc bound infusions.For the love all nine, do something with PoF metas

As more specific feedback, focussing meta-event bonuses on specific maps at specific times may be a good way to keep some meta-events achievable with the greater breadth of content in the game these days.

For example, new players coming along to do Draconis Mons are going to have a lot of waiting to do in order to get some of the activities there completed now; if that map becomes included in a rotating pool of locations giving periodic bonuses, making it worthwhile for players who have already completed it to revisit, that could help with the problem. If there are too many maps receiving the bonus at the same time however, people will tend to ignore certain ones.

@phs.6089 said:Shake is up, make raids bosses to spawn instead of world bosses randomly :) Don't drop LI, I don't wanna hear raiders riot.Just imagine usual zerg gets to daily Teq and surprise, it's Mat or someone esle.What is Bonus Box of Goods btw? 2 blues and a green?

Since it's been announced, this should be okay: Chat code for Bonus Box of Goods - [&AgE3YAEA]Among many mats, and a backpack, it has a rare (Super Rare category) chance of awarding Infusions.

I think one based on guilds and bonuses for doing guild missions would be cool. Maybe make all of the guild missions available each day and done multiple times a day during the event with an expansion of the weekly reward cap. Guilds are what bring the players together and should be celebrated. Plus it would be great for guilds looking to recruit.

Some of the content that has been historically attached to festivals could be available during bonus weeks, like SAB.

I'd wish some for:

• PvP Bonus (Maybe during off-season? To make up for the lack of rewards)
  • Dungeon Bonus (double token reward, perhaps)
  • Guild Mission Bonus (This would be a good opportunity to support guild communities again)

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week. During this week, our intention is to remove the daily cap on all world meta event completion rewards and to reward additional loot for some of our Meta-Events to pair with some improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.

improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.I like the sound of that. I really want to see people run PoF meta-events.

While I can’t talk too much about what we have planned beyond that, we aren’t restricting ourselves to “inside the box” design for future events. Some of them may make significant shakeups to their game modes during the time they run. Future iterations we’re thinking about are:

• No daily limit on world boss loot
  • Rare harvesting nodes spawn after world boss killThese are good too, especially the second one. Adds more value to the core tyria maps and maybe offers access to rarer gathering nodes (Lemongrass and other harder to comeby mats).

1. Class based side stories ( Example, rangers get the ability to upgrade their pet and make them cosmetically unique or turn into their highest form of evolution?)
  2. Tie up some loose ends with small stories kind of like the caledbolg side story or the bandits, with say perhaps the pale tree and us visiting her while she recovers?
  3. Maybe add elite specs between expansions in the living world? Sounds odd I know, but going forward it might be nice. We have another whole living world season before the next expansion (If you guys still are going with the expansion concept.) That's a long time to wait between new toys to play with (At least in that regard.)
  4. To go along with three, a new class which sounds like alot but if it came out base wise during the events it could get its elite specs caught up in the living story season and be ready for the next expansion and caught up.

Some of my thoughts, not sure honestly what else Id like to see.

Dungeon rush event with similar loot drops to the world one would be nice.

Also, with the scaling some of the world bosses are still kind of trivial. Maybe have these events scale a little higher? Idk.

I definitely think a dungeon event would be nice though. Especially for the new players that may have never experienced them and may not get to because nobody runs them.

With that we could also get a fractal event. There are so many different game modes that I could see this applied to.

Maybe add in some guild decoration tokens to more of the core world bosses?

MAYBE even have a general commendation token system like the elegy mosaics, with a vendor that can you purchase items from like specific cosmetic items.. I.e. weapon and armor models, combat tonics, guild decorations, minis, maybe a special chair you or something.

@Sublimatio.6981 said:Some bonuses related to fractals would be cool. Jumping puzzles being made rewarding, adventures being rewarding, activities. Basically you have tons of content in the game but it's all not worth playing.

Exactly, so many things that could be touched on, and while having the same rewards for doing each could lead to people grinding the fastest ones possible for the rewards, if they implement at least a few unique rewards for each one it could cause people to step out of that efficiency grind.

Something to spark players to run dungeons or even something to spark interest in revisiting old zones in central tyria. Like repeatable zone quests that are in zones like POF and hot* that give bonus karma or even double xp for mysteries? I would love to have a super rare ascended quality mini of some of the world bosses, I understand you couldn't do them all but mini version of Teq and others would be awesome.

Some out-of-the-box suggestions:

• Core-profession-only queue for PvP as a Bonus Week. Have it so wins offer an unique loot box.
  • Hunting Bonus Week, where you get additional rewards for finding and killing specific champions?
  • Collection Bonus Week, where some unique loot items (for collections, wardrobe, etc) have higher chance to drop.
  • Gathering Bonus (x% chance for additional strikes, x% chance for unique loot) + champions drop gathering nodes on death (with x% chance of being rare nodes).