Remember when Meteor Shower used to actually do damage?

Usagi.4835

And now you have to eat through barriers and are capped by diminishing returns, often taking enough damage in retaliation to near down you. And then to top it off, they even nerfed Lava Font and didn't split skills between game modes, not even revisiting the changes for the sake of consistency. What happened to the the risk-reward factor for playing glass staff ele and positioning well? At least we have dagger buffs here and there :(

I really don't know why Lava Font was nerfed, to be honest. Meteor Shower is understandable, but who in the right mind complained about the damage from the former? It's not like our skills are fast-paced or anything. What should be done now is to revert the changes done to Lava Font and get rid of this stupid lesser-damage-on-each-hit nonsense, which we absolutely do not need.

• Meteor Shower: Hardest Hitter on Weaver

-Damage: 646 (1.6)-Minimum Damage: 129 (0.32)-Damage Reduction per Hit: 10%-Number of Total Impacts: 24-Duration: 9s-Targets: 3-Cooldown: 30s (could be 24s when traited)

• Coalescence of Ruin: Hardest Hitter on Herald

-Damage - First Impact: 504 (1.25), (notice that this is almost close to Meteor Shower's first impact only, the weakest impact of CoR)-Damage - Second Impact: 706 (1.75)-Damage - Final Impact: 908 (2.25)-Number of Impacts: 3-Targets: 5-Cooldown: 4s

Now let's say the Weaver traited Meteor Shower for the 24s cooldown, that's 6 CoR in the duration of 1 MS. A possible total of 15 6 targets vs 24 3 targets, 90 vs 72.

Let's calculate the maximum damage output each skill can put out in a blue moon night with a value of 1000, since the value doesn't matter much as it will affect both modifier the same.

Meteor Shower: If this skill was only to land the first impact 72 times which is not possible in a WvW scenario, then 72 (646 + 1.6 1000) = an approximate of 162,000 damage, since that is not the truth, we can cut this in half, which is still not true, but we can cut this in half, and place in the 2nd impact, which already would be lower than 72 first impacts, now 36 first impacts is also not a possibility, but let's keep it at that, just to put a value of how low this skill can get.

Coalescence of Ruin: 30 (504 + 1.25 1000) + 30 (706 + 1.75 1000) + 30 (908 + 2.25 1000) = 52620 (first impact) + 73680 (second impact) + 94740 (third impact) = 221,040 damage, now anyone would see the difference already, but to cut off any argument, we can remove the first impact from CoR, still the damage would be = 168,000 and that is still higher, that is if MS was able to hit 72 first impacts, keep that in mind, 10 (excluding first impact)/15 targets is a possibility in any scenario, GvG or pug groups, for either MS and CoR.

Now that the damage is set, let's talk about the cooldown. The probability of missing an MS is already 6 times that of CoR, which means, that if even CoR missed 3 of its 6 times, it will still provide damage, opposite to MS that is only one every six CoR.

@Usagi.4835 said:And now you have to eat through barriers and are capped by diminishing returns, often taking enough damage in retaliation to near down you. And then to top it off, they even nerfed Lava Font and didn't split skills between game modes, not even revisiting the changes for the sake of consistency. What happened to the the risk-reward factor for playing glass staff ele and positioning well? At least we have dagger buffs here and there :(

I agree! Both of those skills should be “de-nerfed” — especially meteor shower since it has a long cast time and can be interrupted. Where’s the payoff of playing a glass cannon if you don’t have attacks that hit hard?

I have tried different specs and weapon sets and I still enjoy the theme and feel of staff the most.

I posted out of sheer frustration when I saw 3k meteors. In trying not to reveal anything about the most recent episode of GoT (for anyone else who watches), I wish we could do stuff like what Melisandre did! Eeeeeeee! Though ideally more reliably.

@Usagi.4835 said:I posted out of sheer frustration when I saw 3k meteors. In trying not to reveal anything about the most recent episode of GoT (for anyone else who watches), I wish we could do stuff like what Melisandre did! Eeeeeeee! Though ideally more reliably.

Well, she provided Fire Aura to everyone, however, they still got obliterated by the enemy, then she created a Lava Pudding out of the trenches, but it was a big... meh. The only thing she did was the prophecy, guess we should have access to that, things would be easier.

@Auburner.6945 said:

@Usagi.4835 said:I posted out of sheer frustration when I saw 3k meteors. In trying not to reveal anything about the most recent episode of GoT (for anyone else who watches), I wish we could do stuff like what Melisandre did! Eeeeeeee! Though ideally more reliably.

Well, she provided Fire Aura to everyone, however, they still got obliterated by the enemy, then she created a Lava Pudding out of the trenches, but it was a big... meh. The only thing she did was the prophecy, guess we should have access to that, things would be easier.

Good old useless Fire Aura. At the time, I thought the Lava Pudding was cool as fuck and thought they should change Flame Wall into that and make its radius HUGE! With lots of particles and a CC ward effect. That episode redeemed some of the more questionable dialogue in previous episodes. So suspenseful. Eeeeeeeee.

@Usagi.4835 said:

Good old useless
Fire Aura
. At the time, I thought the
Lava Pudding
was cool as kitten and thought they should change
Flame Wall
into that and make its radius HUGE! With lots of particles and a CC ward effect. That episode redeemed some of the more questionable dialogue in previous episodes. So suspenseful. Eeeeeeeee.

! I only want to finish this show with the 2 sisters safe and sound, the
nice
rest are... do whatever they want to.

Slightly off-topic and I've not really been playing since the event started but I realised after the fact that you can also now fully die to retaliation. And they'll never actually tone it down. How stupid that you can play bunker and put out so much damage just for getting hit. And if you play glass, well. Boop. Deal inconsequential damage and take oodles of retal just for landing your skills on boonbot trains.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:I think this skill would be miles better if it wasn't so random. lets say if all the meteors hit in a 240 radius circle, while reducing the number of impacts.

Well you got it, the issue of the skill is mostly that it is an "impacts" skill, which allow a large number of hit over a "short" duration. Had it been a regular AOE hiting reliably (opposed to randomly) without impact there wouldn't ever have been a need for any nerf on the skill. The "impact" system add a great flavor to the game but ultimately it's difficult to balance accross gamemodes. Like a lot of professions the elementalist here take a (few) hit for the sake of "flavor".

GW1 meteor shower was a lot better in the sense that it stuned the foes on impact. GW2 meteor shower hit hard but have no additional effect that make it more than a fire rain.

Don't know why but after today I just want to say one thing.

Can you please buff staff, in tight fields such as Keeps' lord rooms it's impossible to land MS without Lightning Flash which is on a 40s cd for no reason when mesmers get a stun break and 1200 range on a 30s cd utility of the exact same type and they also have their shenanigans running round their foe. Also the damage of the meteors is low compared to CoR which is on 1/6 of the cd. The class is tanky as hell too. Lava Pudding is a spam off cooldown, I really wonder if I should Fireball instead of using it, that 40% nerf was juicy. Oh, and all my utility bar is mostly stun breaks and cleanses which are also on a high cd, fantastic!! Let alone that Guard's staff #5 interrupts Twist of Fate, when there clearly is no mentioning that it can go through evades - Le Wiki speaks "Despite the description, this skill is ground targeted. Additionally, the line is not unpassable. It acts like a tripwire by causing knockdown, but if the foe has stability or is otherwise immune to knockdowns they can pass through unaffected." Ice Spike and Eruption need a damage buff given how they take an eternity to finally decide to pop. Flame Burst, what is this? I can't even use it at the start or middle of fights because it will turn into a Block right away, let alone the damage is lacking. Too much projectiles with a juicy amount of projectile hate on the other side.

Oh and if it's PvE golem things, it hits 30k which is lower than the lowest low.

The weapon is in a juicy spot tbf.

@"Auburner.6945" said:Don't know why but after today I just want to say one thing.

Can you please buff staff, in tight fields such as Keeps' lord rooms it's impossible to land MS without Lightning Flash which is on a 40s cd for no reason when mesmers get a stun break and 1200 range on a 30s cd utility of the exact same type and they also have their shenanigans running round their foe. Also the damage of the meteors is low compared to CoR which is on 1/6 of the cd. The class is tanky as hell too. Lava Pudding is a spam off cooldown, I really wonder if I should Fireball instead of using it, that 40% nerf was juicy. Oh, and all my utility bar is mostly stun breaks and cleanses which are also on a high cd, fantastic!! Let alone that Guard's staff #5 interrupts Twist of Fate, when there clearly is no mentioning that it can go through evades - Le Wiki speaks "Despite the description, this skill is ground targeted. Additionally, the line is not unpassable. It acts like a tripwire by causing knockdown, but if the foe has stability or is otherwise immune to knockdowns they can pass through unaffected." Ice Spike and Eruption need a damage buff given how they take an eternity to finally decide to pop. Flame Burst, what is this? I can't even use it at the start or middle of fights because it will turn into a Block right away, let alone the damage is lacking. Too much projectiles with a juicy amount of projectile hate on the other side.

Oh and if it's PvE golem things, it hits 30k which is lower than the lowest low.

The weapon is in a juicy spot tbf.

so true lol so true

Staff weaver is in a nice position right now because the top-end of realistic damage in WvW is still battle-changing (1 meteor can make the difference between win/loss in some situations) and the mid-region of realistic damage (inexperience, unfamiliar with rotations, poor reaction time, or bad movement etc) is still OK in terms of damage. I don't think PvE really needs the buff because sw/d might still be higher DPS.

Please don't think I'm linking this as any sort of a humble-brag, I'm really encouraging anyone who is feeling unsure about meteor shower's effectiveness to watch at least a minute and see how brutal staff weaver still is the vast majority of the time. I'd caution against a serious buff, maybe a short duration daze on impact like CE said above would be fine. Fighting against 3 to 4 competent weavers in a group comp is already pretty daunting as they can hard-carry heavy sustain comps.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:Keep MS exactly like it is now. Add a short duration daze on each impact. Makes sense thematically. MS becomes a powerful zoning tool in PvP/WvW. Big CC buff for staff ele in PvE.

Meteor Shower: Fixed.

I'd tend to agree with that, but it might be seen as too strong in PvP/WvW even thought daze only prevent you from using your skills.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:Keep MS exactly like it is now. Add a short duration daze on each impact. Makes sense thematically. MS becomes a powerful zoning tool in PvP/WvW. Big CC buff for staff ele in PvE.

Meteor Shower: Fixed.

I'd tend to agree with that, but it might be seen as too strong in PvP/WvW even thought daze only prevent you from using your skills.

If daze didn't stop autoattacking it would be an interesting buff to MS.

I'd love to see the staff reworked to be more responsive. It's so sluggish that it's only viable in a zerg setting (talking wvw). All other pvp settings you can't even hit your foe because they move faster than the projectiles can track.

I miss staff.I came back to the game a couple of days ago and staff ele was my fav but doesn't seem to be all that relevant anymore :/.It always bothered me that Ele never felt so much as a '' mage ''.I don't mean that they have to be a straight up generic mage, but I don't think that they feel so much like a spellcaster with any of the other weapons ( nor do any of the other Professions really ).