Which profession for a modern Orrian ?

EraZorus.5892

Hello everyone. I wanted to make a roleplay character, a Krytan human who is actually the scion of a family of orrian priests who were missionaries outside of Orr when the nation was sunken in the Cataclysm. Now, I want my character to be either a mesmer (which means he would be a priest of Lyssa) or a guardian, so my question is : which of these two professions would match the most the Orrian culture and its philosophy ?

Anything can work for Humanity, most of the professions seems to have started with humanity, it would seem. I would focus more around perhaps which dirty your character is most aligned towards. Mesmers would make sense for Lyssa followers, Guardians perhaps followers of Balthazar or Dwayna, etc...

@EraZorus.5892 said:Hello everyone. I wanted to make a roleplay character, a Krytan human who is actually the scion of a family of orrian priests who were missionaries outside of Orr when the nation was sunken in the Cataclysm. Now, I want my character to be either a mesmer (which means he would be a priest of Lyssa) or a guardian, so my question is : which of these two professions would match the most the Orrian culture and its philosophy ?

Guardian is the closest match as a missionary, but you'll have to use the Staff and a bald character. Basically make a GW2 version of the GW1 Monk.

IMO, the game's storyline would have worked better if each race could only choose between a few professions. Gameplay wise it would be worse, sure, but it would allow the storyline to consider both race and profession. So I would have had:

For the Charr:

• Warrior (Blood Legion)
  • Thief (Ash Legion)
  • Engineer (Iron Legion)Notice that there's no magic user - the Charr often make a point about how they aren't really fond of the magic-using Flame Legion.

For the Norn:

• Warrior
  • Ranger
  • ElementalistRelatively simple and primal professions, fitting the Norn society.

For the Asura:

• Elementalist
  • Necromancer
  • EngineerThe magical-using Asura would be averse to the more martial professions - they use golems for that - while focusing on magic and science.

For the Sylvari:

• Guardian (arguably the most "heroic" of the heavy professions)
  • Ranger (for the strong connection with nature)
  • Necromancer (since the Sylvary have less worries about manipulating the dead than most others in Tyria)

And for the Humans:

• Guardians, representing humanity's resilience against all the adversity they have faced since the original Guild Wars
  • Thieves, representing all the tricks and guerilla tactics they have been using against the Charr and other enemies
  • Mesmers, representing how uniquely blessed by Lyssa humans have been, and how cunning they have had to be

So each profession would have two possible races, with the exception of Mesmers, that would be human-only.

@"Erasculio.2914" said:IMO, the game's storyline would have worked better if each race could only choose between a few professions. Gameplay wise it would be worse, sure, but it would allow the storyline to consider both race and profession.

Three professions a race is just far to limiting and is a massive drawback mechanically. The story doesn't even really have any focus on which professions races utilize. Or even the Pact for that matter. Professions have practically zero relevance to the story's development.

Besides, I think your choices aren't so good either. To be specific:

For the Charr:

• Warrior (Blood Legion)
  • Thief (Ash Legion)
  • Engineer (Iron Legion)Notice that there's no magic user - the Charr often make a point about how they aren't really fond of the magic-using Flame Legion.
  1. Thieves use magic too.
  2. Charr also make a point of utilizing useful tools, like magic users. They don't trust magic, but they'll damn well use it.
  3. Besides, common NPCs are:
    • Iron Legion: Engineers and Guardians
    • Blood Legion: Warriors and Rangers
    • Ash Legion: Thieves and NecromancersSo it seems weird to exclude half of that list.

For the Norn:

• Warrior
  • Ranger
  • ElementalistRelatively simple and primal professions, fitting the Norn society.
    1. Norn are not "simple and primal", far from it really. They have just as many craftsmen as humans, really. You don't get things like Hoelbrak built by primal civilizations.
    2. To be honest, if you specify how norn get limiting professions, it'd be best to look at the four major spirits' shamans/havrouns' professions. Which would be:
  • Raven: Mesmer and Necromancer
  • Bear: Warrior and Ranger
  • Snow Leopard: Thief
  • Wolf: Guardian and Ranger

For the Asura:

• Elementalist
  • Necromancer
  • EngineerThe magical-using Asura would be averse to the more martial professions - they use golems for that - while focusing on magic and science.Most Peacemakers are actually warriors, incidentially enough, as are several asura in the Lionguard. To quote one pre-BfLA quote from Fort Marriner: "There are few things more efficient than hamstringing [centaurs]."

While the iconic asura do tend to be magic users, the generic asura have a tendency to use artifacts rather than magic themselves.

So each profession would have two possible races, with the exception of Mesmers, that would be human-only.

And revenant that gets none.

I generally regard most NPC's in the game to be classless. There are some, like Logan and Braham are clearly Guardians.Historically speaking most soldiers were not warriors, while being warrior-like, having limited proficiency with weapons while most of the training focuses on simple discipline.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Erasculio.2914" said:

For the Asura:
  • Elementalist
  • Necromancer
  • EngineerThe magical-using Asura would be averse to the more martial professions - they use golems for that - while focusing on magic and science.Most Peacemakers are actually warriors, incidentially enough, as are several asura in the Lionguard. To quote one pre-BfLA quote from Fort Marriner:
    "There are few things more efficient than hamstringing [centaurs]."

While the iconic asura do tend to be magic users, the generic asura have a tendency to use artifacts rather than magic themselves.To be fair, though, Peacemakers are
really
bad warriors, even by NPC standards. Only a single, and very slow, hammer attack, where most of the other NPCs get at least two or three tricks.

For the original question: I don't think there's any one 'best' class for a family of Orrian expatriates, unless you want to go with them being stuck in the past, in which case you're down to warrior, ranger, necro, mesmer, or ele. The missionary angle might give better focus; it means that the family probably started out as monks, which, by GW2, would've evolved to guardian. Overall, I think that'd be the most expected fit if you're playing up the Orrian piety aspect, although there's nothing wrong with going against type.