Can we get some clarification about War Eternal?

I think why he seized on those two words is that, even for 2 hours, a full-fledged game requires character creation, skill creation, weapon creation, balancing, the actual story itself, the maps, armors, login and password setup, support setup, graphic creation, engine design and modification...I'm not a dev but I know there are more than that. A LW episode requires: a single new map, probably not all that large, a new map currency, a single mastery line traited into an already created framework. A couple new things at each heart, and then the heart and story chapter itself. NOT EVEN CLOSE to the effort of a full-fledged game, even one less complicated than gw2.

Basically if a full-fledged game can come out, even with less content(Anthem, are we looking at you? I have not played it) in 9 months(Since the team has been working on it longer than the 4+ months this one is taking) then it is a smidge ridiculous about a LW episode taking so long.

Ok. Now that I addressed that, since my last post I've considered other reasons it might be taking so long. And since I just read something on why Anthem took 5 years in development ONLY maybe it's the same thing? This team or the higherups, couldn't decide on what they want the story or chapter to be. Do this, they are bound to alienate that section of players. Do something else, it'll alienate THAT section. What about this, what about that. What about both, all, nothing. Meetings with people discussingl and those who do the programming unable to begin until a decision is handed down. Or maybe one WAS and then NCSoft said no, change it. Or maybe an Anet change in staff said no, change it. Or add this. Or take away that. Suddenly it's been three months of talk and no one has even started yet.

How long a two hour trip takes can really depend on when you leave the driveway.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

@Klipso.8653 said:Its awful that they think 30 minutes of story content 3 or 4 times per year, and a single raid once per year is ok. In all honesty the story and raids should be a side project and current events/WvW/sPvP should be the primary focus.

Its not 30 mins, but even if it was 3 hours of content 4+ months is insane.

Not really.

I've seen full fledged games developed well over a year, some longer, that are only couple hours tops of content. 4 months is not an insane wait time, it's within actual development expectations for the scale of a single LW episode.
>full fledged games

Obviously you didn't read a single word outside of those two.

I'm literally stating there are full fledged released games out there that have less content than a single LW episode. If people think LW taking about 4 months is bad, then obviously there's some serious impatience there. Not only that, I can tell most of have not worked in game development simply because they think 4 months is a long time for what LW episodes offer.

Going from what we know the episodes dont take just 4 months, that only the time period between the 2 episodes.

@zealex.9410 said:Going from what we know the episodes dont take just 4 months, that only the time period between the 2 episodes.

That's basis of release, not basis for actual development time. They could have already been developing War Eternal before All or Nothing released but had to postpone it due to staff layoff and now they need more time to finish it because of the situation regarding staff.

I think it might be later than the 21st.

From Irenio's post at https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/75132/upcoming-bonus-events/p1 (I've deleted most of his post, please read the original there).

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:Hey all,

While the team is working toward the release of Episode 6 and the future of Guild Wars 2 development, a few of us are building out a stable of bonus events. The first iterations of two of the planned events are complete, and we have two more in active development. Our intention is to run these during times when there are no major releases

The first of these events, World Boss Week, starts May 6 and will run until May 13.

The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week.

So if these are intended to run during times when there are no major releases and the first of these is May 6-13th and the second is scheduled for a few weeks after that I take this as meaning the next major release (i.e. Episode 6) won't be coming until after that second event, a few weeks after May 13th.

I took that asWorld boss eventTrailerReleaseNew event

Because if they are really going to do

World boss eventLabyrinthine cliffs/queens pavilionNew eventRelease

Then it will be more like seven/eight months between releases and at THAT point it's clear the layoffs have indeed mattered; that it may even be likely all the doomsayers were correct and I may have to do what many others already are doing--play something else between once a year releases. Which is fine, I guess, the game is six years old, but a bit depressing anyway.