Upcoming Bonus Events

I think it would be fun to have an event like the Holi color festival in India, where it would be less about killing stuff and more about throwing color everywhere!

Seeing Red: players can 'paint' the mobs. No special gun necessary; players attack mobs as usual and it makes them turn different colors, either as a splatter effect or an infusion effect. Set it up so players pick a dye they already own to dye mobs with (maybe the first dye channel on one of their armor pieces), or maybe have each of the weapon skills (1 – 5) universally dye things a specific color – ie, using 1 would dye mobs red, 2 would dye them blue, 3 green, etc.

During the event, dye drops would be more common, including a super low chance at getting exclusive colors.

Paintball!: You could do something like Seeing Red in PvP and WvW as well

Paint the town: Give people a way to shoot color all over town and each other! It would possibly include mini-games, or may be just a silly way to pass the time in cities. One mini-game could be a race to see who can fill up a specific area with color the fastest, another might be similar to the shooting gallery activity, where players would race around town shooting specific targets in out of the way places.

Color Run: Reinvigorate existing mount races or add a new one for the event! Taking part in a race during the event adds a phosphorescent glow effect to your mount similar to the glow on the Mordrem wolves in the labyrinth under the Silverwastes. The color chosen would correspond to the first dye channel of the mount. Is it only cosmetic? Probably, but you get a super rare shot at getting a color infusion for completing the race.

A Glow Run would also be fun. Either a race through a cave with mounts that glow during the race, or adapt existing races so that at night the mounts glow.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt I can offer any suggestion that isn't already in this thread or hasn't been discussed internally, but if I had to add something it would be to look at what you did right in the past. Then try to identify the reasons behind its success and how they can be implemented in new or (reworked) PvE events.

Two examples I would give are the SW map and the Teq world boss event, both still very popular despite their age. The former is by far the most active LS map in the long run, with a purely player driven meta that happens to be the most profitable when it comes to gold. The latter is a WB on a timer, and while it gives decent gold, the main reason behind its long term popularity is the unique ascended set. It also happens to be the right amount of challenging without being inaccessible to the average zerg (looking at you Triple Trouble). Ascended sets with unique skins coming with sensible RNG rates, is a good way to offer exciting loot that doesn't affect the economy too much (since its BtA).

Also if PoF metas are to be reworked, something needs to be done about their visibility. When in a HoT map and the map meta is going on, the game makes sure the player knows about it, that's not the case with many PoF metas. And while it makes sense since PoF maps are not designed around huge map metas, if some of them are reworked it would be good to communicate that more to players on the map.

Here is something a game I used to play did, well they got the pokemon idea. Special sort of usual mobs would spawn around the world, that would drop or not very common loot, when set number of those were killed on maps, better kind of mobs will spawn, less quantity, more quality drops and so on, till the point where a single legendary mob would spawn and players had to find it to kill for the best loot. Not sure will this work in game with personalized loot. Juts idea for an event.

An Orrian Temple tour would be a good one, I think, if rewards are available for either successfully capturing or defending to avoid the problem of conflicting goals that often crops up with those events. Could include Siren's Landing shrine events or not, or could offer a bonus for picking those up, however best fits the traffic control goals.

@PersonA.2459 said:I think it would be fun to have an event like the Holi color festival in India, where it would be less about killing stuff and more about throwing color everywhere!

Seeing Red: players can 'paint' the mobs. No special gun necessary; players attack mobs as usual and it makes them turn different colors, either as a splatter effect or an infusion effect. Set it up so players pick a dye they already own to dye mobs with (maybe the first dye channel on one of their armor pieces), or maybe have each of the weapon skills (1 – 5) universally dye things a specific color – ie, using 1 would dye mobs red, 2 would dye them blue, 3 green, etc.

During the event, dye drops would be more common, including a super low chance at getting exclusive colors.

Paintball!: You could do something like Seeing Red in PvP and WvW as well

Paint the town: Give people a way to shoot color all over town and each other! It would possibly include mini-games, or may be just a silly way to pass the time in cities. One mini-game could be a race to see who can fill up a specific area with color the fastest, another might be similar to the shooting gallery activity, where players would race around town shooting specific targets in out of the way places.

Color Run: Reinvigorate existing mount races or add a new one for the event! Taking part in a race during the event adds a phosphorescent glow effect to your mount similar to the glow on the Mordrem wolves in the labyrinth under the Silverwastes. The color chosen would correspond to the first dye channel of the mount. Is it only cosmetic? Probably, but you get a super rare shot at getting a color infusion for completing the race.

A Glow Run would also be fun. Either a race through a cave with mounts that glow during the race, or adapt existing races so that at night the mounts glow.

So to sum up Splatoon. Welp I like the idea, but I wonder if the technology is available, it's possible to create two teams wearing different color, we know the technology of turning a capture point into the color of the team who conquered it, but painting the ground..... I may have the solution: spawning a dead ooze/1% health noAI ooze where the targetted bullet is hitting the ground. At the end, it counts how many oozes each team have.

Love the idea of bonus events! I have to say, though, that I would be much more excited about the boss week if the bosses were more powerful for the duration or had some kind of added twist (think instabilities). Getting an extra reward just for participating isn't that hype in my opinion. Challenge us!

Here is how you can really make world meta events and bosses more fun. Extend the guild event flag that we can build in our guild halls to include all world bosses and major event chains (using the same limitations you use for them on TT, KQ and Teq).

That ensures events are triggering more often and - in many cases - that a core organized group might be there to coordinate the event - something that would benefit even those not in guilds (they would be more likely to stumble across or LFG their way into an event).

Seems like the logical next step for this kind of content.

A sky map, that (reachable with ballons similar to queens gauntlet/labyrynthian cliffs.) It/theycould be above existing maps for leisure flying and floating fun, with perhaps some racing sky lanes. Sandjackals and sand trails in the sky could also be added into it for extra fun. And if one would be a bit sadisdic a sand jackal puzzel involving portal jumping and while falling... choosing the next correct portals to jump into among several choices (sort of like silverwase skritt puzzels skritt holes.

storyphased invasion events invasion events could be revamped to match the observers story active threat . , So the same ongoing event appears visually different for another observer since the visual is based on its characters story progression . whether its Pirates. Zaitan undead, Mordremoth shamplers, White mantle insurgence ,Baltazar forged & Joko undeads or Shatterer crystal minions would depend on the story.The enemy mobs might have cosmetic differences in their appearance and attacks but would behind the smoke and mirrors be the same.

More swampy swamps The godlost swamp in Queens dale (and swamps on the core maps could be a bit more swampy -thinking of similar affect as the quicksand effects. though perhaps not as deadly- but still enough to be somewhat frightening.

Shark week -- for one week, Inquest tampering has given all sharks in the game advanced, dangerous abilities and special loot. Sharknado events spawn in random locations throughout Tyria -- roving vortices in what are ordinarily land areas, in which players and enemies alike can use UW attacks.

Idea: Pips from Hotjoin week! Each completed Hotjoin match grants 1 reward Pip. Also you could remove the normal cap on reward track progress from HJIdea: WvW PvP Mix up! sPVP and WVW have their available reward tracks swapped for a week.

I would LOVE either of these.

Ahiyaz Dev Team,

I have long awaited the addition of "Weekly Bonus" events and I am excited to see they are becoming a more "normal" part of the game. A very colossal Thank You for "Our intention is to run these during times when there are no major releases" !! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I think your considered Ideas are awesome and rate the following love ;)

• No daily limit on world boss loot <3 <3 <3 <3
  • Rare harvesting nodes spawn after world boss kill <3 <3 <3
  • Community goals and rewards <3
  • Collections and meta achievements with titles <3 <3

I'd like to see something similar to our long lost friend and Dolyak companion (Nicholas the Traveler ) This would be done by adding a pelt drop or Champion Token to champion level creatures in Tyria (including Living World maps) and the the "Traveler" would ask for X number of them to reward your choice of

Unless that's what "Collections and meta achievements with titles" is. ;) :D This is similar to the bounty system from PoF but for the rest of the world that does not yet have it implemented. Only you get to choose your reward. Variants to this could be specific events or meta events or .....?

Anywhooz that'z ma 2 cents and I look forward to the more regular weekly bonus events you create :DThanks for the content =) <3

also map exploration event.for each finished map you get double reward and a collection item.To get the full collection you need 28 of these items (as there are 28 maps, if I"m correct, that are needed for world completion) and an item that drops from completing the world. All needs to be done during the event week.The reward could be an item that gives a reduction on waypoint usage.

-edit- Not everyone has a level 80 character without zero map completion or room for a new character. Levelling to 80 is also time consuming for those without tomes. So to level the event and make it accessable to everyone in the same way, make sure that there is an NPC that can temporary revert your world exploration progress. If not done after the event, everything is re-discovered.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey all,

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us! I wanted this to be an open discussion, and so I’m also hoping in here to share some of my thoughts as well. I’ve read through all the ideas, and there are some that we put on our list of possibilities! Just so we’re clear, it is not a guarantee that we’ll be able to do them.

Some further clarifications to set proper expectations below.

Bonus events won’t always guarantee bonus economic rewards.We also want to be free to do things that shake up game modes substantially for a limited time or to try potential system changes that may not have been possible otherwise. One such event is being finalized, and we’re very interested in seeing players’ reactions!

The No Daily Cap for the Meta-Event Rush will not make the first releaseUnfortunately, we will not be able to make this change for this run of the event. This is planned as a bonus for potential future runs of this event.

The team working on the bonus events initiative is not a content creation team of the type outlined in Game Director Mike Z’s previous message.We don’t build content; we focus entirely on creating events in a way that doesn’t impact other teams and the content they create. In some cases, we’ll actually ship events along with releases.

Feedback is important!We know that not every event can appeal to all players, but we want to make them as fun as possible for everyone. The events we’re running now aren’t set in stone—and neither are the rewards—because we want to keep things fresh and continue to improve them.

Keep giving us feedback. We’ll keep reading it and communicating with you.

Higher dye drop or key drop weekends

Pumpkin pie (November) and pirate grog (September) drops from monsters. These items exist already, just need to add to drop tables for a period.

Lucky weekend (St. Patrick's Day) rare drops of mystic clovers

+50% dungeon or fractal tokens

Helping Hands - karma boost from heart quests

Color festival - like one of the options above. Get ground targeted color bundle as a drop or purchase from merchant. Toss it at others to dye them for a short while. This would be iffy as it requires some content creation, but nothing too groundbreaking. It would behave like harpy love tonic.

• Higher drop rate of Intact Spores from Sawgill mushrooms please... so I propose a fill your mushroom punnit event... a 24hr sawgill farming frenzy... drop rates decrease greatly when the sun rises, but increase greatly when it gets dark :)

Why on earth was such an limited use item that provided nothing outside of a guild hall deco so impossibly rare to obtain is beyond me

@Chris Cleary.8017 said:Bonus events won’t always guarantee bonus economic rewards.We also want to be free to do things that shake up game modes substantially for a limited time or to try potential system changes that may not have been possible otherwise. One such event is being finalized, and we’re very interested in seeing players’ reactions!

...WvW zombie apocalypse?

@runeblade.7514 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:I'd suggest something for jumping puzzles but that would just be cruel. ;)

The only way that would happen is if Jumping puzzle turn into adventures. Otherwise people will just park their characters at the end to get rewards.

That's actually not a bad idea (in general, not for a weekend event). Start the adventure, get put into a transformation where you can't do anything but jump and are immune to speed buffs, portals, teleport to friend, and other transport devices. Do it faster for better rewards.

Vanquisher weekend: Several semi-randomly selected OW maps (probably ones without strong metas) are put into Vanquish Mode: normal mobs (that is, not spawned by heart activities, DEs, and such) no longer respawn, and a mapwide meta event tracks how many such normal mobs have been killed -- killing them provides participation, and if all* mobs are killed within a time limit, then everyone gets a meta reward. Map closes shortly after time limit is reached. Maps should probably be in VM on a known rotation, so that they are mostly not in VM during the event, lest people trying to complete hearts get annoyed.

*ok, like 95%. Stuff happens, enemies spawn in walls and things.

Bloodstone weekend: Replace PvP capture points with larger "bloodstones". The capture bar for a bloodstone is only shifted when a player on the capture point kills an enemy player on the capture point. Kills otherwise count for no points. Respawn rate increased. Bonus PvP rewards.

@"Chris Cleary.8017" said:Hey all,

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us! I wanted this to be an open discussion, and so I’m also hoping in here to share some of my thoughts as well. I’ve read through all the ideas, and there are some that we put on our list of possibilities! Just so we’re clear, it is not a guarantee that we’ll be able to do them.

Some further clarifications to set proper expectations below.

Bonus events won’t always guarantee bonus economic rewards.We also want to be free to do things that shake up game modes substantially for a limited time or to try potential system changes that may not have been possible otherwise. One such event is being finalized, and we’re very interested in seeing players’ reactions!

The No Daily Cap for the Meta-Event Rush will not make the first releaseUnfortunately, we will not be able to make this change for this run of the event. This is planned as a bonus for potential future runs of this event.

The team working on the bonus events initiative is not a content creation team of the type outlined in Game Director Mike Z’s previous message.We don’t build content; we focus entirely on creating events in a way that doesn’t impact other teams and the content they create. In some cases, we’ll actually ship events along with releases.

Feedback is important!We know that not every event can appeal to all players, but we want to make them as fun as possible for everyone. The events we’re running now aren’t set in stone—and neither are the rewards—because we want to keep things fresh and continue to improve them.

Keep giving us feedback. We’ll keep reading it and communicating with you.

I really want to suggest: Fractals Week.

Instead of only 3 daily fractals, what if EVERY fractal was a daily? So we could potentially marathon every type of fractal nonstop.