Is DP dead?

Gundam Style.8495

@"Gundam Style.8495" said:Why kill the most sexy thief build? Is their a good core build? All you see is 3 spam or vault cheeze. Nothing like the showmanship of Sindrener or Noodica in their vids.

I was playing d/p in wvw last night and everything I did just pretty much tickled enemy's, even pi was hitting around 1k on a core necro (who was not trailblazer/tanky stats) The build below is what I used and it's not exactly missing much in dmg stats, could of taken havoc I guess.

The effort to play d/p now is way too much and you may as well take assassins signet or something.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVl0MhSnY5TwwJw/ELwEmWCIAsb8SDnh2w8H8E2CB-jlCEABAcgAcXfQbaYe4ICQwhIgp9HlTOpkZLlgGcAE8X9n1BHAhYjlYjN2YHbsxGbsxaAxGbsxGbs5GbsxKFggCtA-w

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@"Gundam Style.8495" said:Why kill the most sexy thief build? Is their a good core build? All you see is 3 spam or vault cheeze. Nothing like the showmanship of Sindrener or Noodica in their vids.

I was playing d/p in wvw last night and everything I did just pretty much tickled enemy's, even pi was hitting around 1k on a core necro (who was not trailblazer/tanky stats) The build below is what I used and it's not exactly missing much in dmg stats, could of taken havoc I guess.

The effort to play d/p now is way too much and you may as well take assassins signet or something.

Finding more luck with s/p of late and especially when taking acro with critical strikes. I have yet to try CS with the d/p set. It might fare better given the percent damage add of ankle shots over the Raw power add of dagger training. I do not think mug cuts it anymore as you have to be pumping out more damage between those steals .

@babazhook.6805 said:

Finding more luck with s/p of late and especially when taking acro with critical strikes. I have yet to try CS with the d/p set. It might fare better given the percent damage add of ankle shots over the Raw power add of dagger training. I do not think mug cuts it anymore as you have to be pumping out more damage between those steals .

Problem with s/p is that it's another gimmick. Nothing to do apart from spam pistol whip (most of the time)

Mug steal does 2.7k dmg (depending on who it hits) + the life steal

Problem with s/p is that it's another gimmick. Nothing to do apart from spam pistol whip (most of the time)I wholeheartedly disagree, if you trait for bounding dodger you can gain stealth and thus tactical strike. Swipe can be used during infiltrator's strike to get a ~1200 range initiation like before. s/p makes it viable to trait for acrobatics since you can pick up a damage trait there in swindler's equilibrium gaining even shorter swipe cooldown, and combined with the damage modification from trickery and daredevil (lead attacks + weakening strikes + bounding dodger + pi) you do allot of damage.

Spaming pistol whip is a dumb thing do to, the best way to use this skill is to cast it while your opponent is going on the offensive, so you wait for the moment when he uses a skill that would hit you and instead of dodging you pistol whip him, procking pi and sigil of absorption while getting off a full whip (if he is out of sun breaks). Also, and i will always point this out, pistol whip has evade frames build in to it during the sword flurry which is something anet has not put on the tooltip after 7 years.

I am running this build in plat 3 (my rank is in flux from plat 2 to gold 1 since i am experimenting with lots of builds on necro and thief) but seriously give it a tryhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsaVn8lClOhFOBGmC0PhFsiyLDugOYO6v+tvLAiuCA-jpxHQBA4IAQwHAA8OBAK7QA0j9HuWZAANote that the adept and grand master traits in acrobatics can, and should, be changed on a match to match basis as all but vigorous recovery are useful depending on team compositions.

Is DP dead?the old meta d/p daredevil is mostly dead yes, the builds main appeal was mobility and burst potential.With the range nerf of swipe getting off a meaty burst is much too hard now, since you need to be in 600 range of your target ergo he will see you going for the burst even if he is occupied in a 1 vs 1 on a node making the build not worth it since outside of your burst you do mediocre damage at best.And the mobility of the d/p (dash) daredevil is made largely irrelevant with the mobility creep of PoF; why play a squishy mobile daredevil who has a semi inconsistent burst when you can play, a slightly less mobile, soul beast or certain warrior builds who can still be efficient at decaping while actually being able to burst effectively and actually stay in a fight?

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Problem with s/p is that it's another gimmick. Nothing to do apart from spam pistol whip (most of the time)

The 2.7 k damage every 21 seconds is not a heck of a lot. It translates to something like 128 per second added damage. I tend to feel having ongoing added damage to every attack just translates to more damage out in that 21 seconds. The heal more telling but using assassins reward as suggested above in s/p or IP out the the CS line gets way more in heals as they come form virtually every attack.

You have to be able to use tactical strikes in any s/x set and I find a source or sources of quickness invaluable. I tend not to use s/p PW without that quickness running and get those on interrupt sigils to kick in.

@"foste.3098" said:

Problem with s/p is that it's another gimmick. Nothing to do apart from spam pistol whip (most of the time)I wholeheartedly disagree, if you trait for bounding dodger you can gain stealth and thus tactical strike. Swipe can be used during infiltrator's strike to get a ~1200 range initiation like before. s/p makes it viable to trait for acrobatics since you can pick up a damage trait there in swindler's equilibrium gaining even shorter swipe cooldown, and combined with the damage modification from trickery and daredevil (lead attacks + weakening strikes + bounding dodger + pi) you do allot of damage.

Spaming pistol whip is a dumb thing do to, the best way to use this skill is to cast it while your opponent is going on the offensive, so you wait for the moment when he uses a skill that would hit you and instead of dodging you pistol whip him, procking pi and sigil of absorption while getting off a full whip (if he is out of sun breaks). Also, and i will always point this out, pistol whip has evade frames build in to it during the sword flurry which is something anet has not put on the tooltip after 7 years.

I am running this build in plat 3 (my rank is in flux from plat 2 to gold 1 since i am experimenting with lots of builds on necro and thief) but seriously give it a try
Note that the adept and grand master traits in acrobatics can, and should, be changed on a match to match basis as all but vigorous recovery are useful depending on team compositions.

Is DP dead?the old meta d/p daredevil is mostly dead yes, the builds main appeal was mobility and burst potential.With the range nerf of swipe getting off a meaty burst is much too hard now, since you need to be in 600 range of your target ergo he will see you going for the burst even if he is occupied in a 1 vs 1 on a node making the build not worth it since outside of your burst you do mediocre damage at best.And the mobility of the d/p (dash) daredevil is made largely irrelevant with the mobility creep of PoF; why play a squishy mobile daredevil who has a semi inconsistent burst when you can play, a slightly less mobile, soul beast or certain warrior builds who can still be efficient at decaping while actually being able to burst effectively and actually stay in a fight?

The main issue was being able to use backstab with old steal. That isn't possible now from 1200 range. That was the main allure of D/P outside its mobility was being able to do cool combos like black powder -> HS -> Steal -> Backstab etc.

@babazhook.6805 said:

The 2.7 k damage every 21 seconds is not a heck of a lot. It translates to something like 128 per second added damage. I tend to feel having ongoing added damage to every attack just translates to more damage out in that 21 seconds. The heal more telling but using assassins reward as suggested above in s/p or IP out the the CS line gets way more in heals as they come form virtually every attack.

You have to be able to use tactical strikes in any s/x set and I find a source or sources of quickness invaluable. I tend not to use s/p PW without that quickness running and get those on interrupt sigils to kick in.

On his build and kit I'd rather have a deliberate Mug after some posturing and PI panic to feel them out and not get caught up in ongoing damage. It's not much but it always has a chance of being enough right now.

In serious gameplay, I would say yes that D/P is dead. It's maybe still viable in some places. The new traits give it some potential, at least more than before. However that potential is just now not going to be seen because the Swipe change was so harsh.

@kash.9213 said:

On his build and kit I'd rather have a deliberate Mug after some posturing and PI panic to feel them out and not get caught up in ongoing damage. It's not much but it always has a chance of being enough right now.

Oh I understand the reason one would want to use it. I just feel it becomes more marginal. The opportunities to do something to impact a given engagement grow less and less. There just too many times I would want to use the steal for effects that are more important then 2700 more damage.

@babazhook.6805 said:

Oh I understand the reason one would want to use it. I just feel it becomes more marginal.
The opportunities to do something to impact a given engagement grow less and less.
There just too many times I would want to use the steal for effects that are more important then 2700 more damage.

That's a hurtful truth when I try one of my dated builds to relive some feels, most of the kits can be passable but some builds can gas out too soon against a player or group who can pace themselves and make you show some of your playbook. It might be stupid but I mostly play now as if everyone is a breakbar boss and mostly cc and boon rip people until they die or bounce.