Thieves "Mirror of Anguish" Type Ability?

kmfart.7480

I came across a shady solo roaming DD thief the other day. He could not be controlled via any skill and would instantly reflect the effect / projectile back to the caster every time, regardless if you hit his back or front. It's reflect is even better than the old mesmers "Mirror of Anguish" reflect since only the caster is controlled while the thief is totally unaffected (he could of have stability, but even that alone is difficult to get on a thief, and he wasnt using daggerstorm). He instantly reminded me of a nutorious thief troll that plagued wvw for years, however this wasnt that players account (alt perhaps?). But when I look through how I would go about creating such a build for myself, I cannot seem to find that OP perma anticontrol reflect trait/rune/ability to give my thief. The best type of "anti control" skill I can find on a thief is "Hard to Catch", but that doesnt have reflect. Any ideas? (or is that guy just using a cheat?)

With the new buff to thieves, needless to say, he was basically running around killing everyone, evading everything, cleansing everything and reflecting every control skill (regular skills & projectives would still hit though), basically offering no counterplay. It seems he also has an unlimited amount of initiative, so nobody can actually escape from him or chase him down when he needs to run (happens occassionally). It felt almost like he was "absent from the fight he was actually participating in" type of thing. I managed to kill him by planting a well timed GS "Leap of Faith" in his face, crit considerably and killed him instantly (no down state is awesome lol). But he had already killed alot of randoms.

thief cannot reflect control effects unless they are projectiles wich you said go through. the closest thing to something like that is probably bandits defense, a stunbreak that can have a CC on a rather low cooldown.

what new thief buffs are you talking about? would be nice to share them in the thieves forum, ty.

@kmfart.7480 said:With the new buff to thieves, needless to say, he was basically running around killing everyone, evading everything, cleansing everything and reflecting every control skill (regular skills & projectives would still hit though), basically offering no counterplay.

The last patch wasn't a buff to thieves, a very mixed bag with the heavy nerf to daredevil steal range. If he was killing you easily, he would have done that pre patch just as easily.

It definately is a "reflect only the incoming control projectiles" ability, while non control projectiles are not reflected at all. I fought this guy several times over several years, and he is impossible to pin down or control in anyway, they always get reflected (its not lotus training/bandit defense/daggerstorm). He used to troll camp & contest keeps for hours, and most of the veteran wvw people in chat say he is known hacker, but i'm still trying to figure out if there actually is a legit way of doing what he does. It could be like the "magnetic aura" from Earth runes i suppose, except the extra feature of only proccing on incoming control projectiles.. and he doesnt have a 60 second CD on his version.

@"kmfart.7480" said:It definately is a "reflect only the incoming control projectiles" ability, while non control projectiles are not reflected at all. I fought this guy several times over several years, and he is impossible to pin down or control in anyway, they always get reflected (its not lotus training/bandit defense/daggerstorm). He used to troll camp & contest keeps for hours, and most of the veteran wvw people in chat say he is known hacker, but i'm still trying to figure out if there actually is a legit way of doing what he does. It could be like the "magnetic aura" from Earth runes i suppose, except the extra feature of only proccing on incoming control projectiles.. and he doesnt have a 60 second CD on his version.

If he is using a staff, then the 3rd attack from the auto-attack do reflect projectiles. Also perhaps been so lucky to reflect control projectiles on 3rd attack. Which could also be the reason why other projectile goes through.

EDIT: In addition, if you have Don't Stop, you can literally have CC immunity every time you gain Swiftness. Which thanks to Expeditious Dodger, you'll always have Swiftness.

As a thief main since two weeks after release...

There is nothing in the game to my knowledge that allows a thief to reflect only projectiles with control effects. That said, without a video I can’t be certain what you are describing and what I understand you to be describing are the same thing.

The best response for this situation would be to use some unblockable projectiles that have control effects.

He may be hacking but only reflecting the ones with control effects to keep his Exhaustion uptime minimal while hiding his hack behind still being vulnerable to most projectiles.

Also, you might try the DH elite trap and Longbow to just range pressure him to death. If he gets close a trap will cc him fine without being a projectile. You just need to cc him and burst or whittle him down from range.

I’ve never met a hacker who was a good player so I’d think he’s beatable if people stop trying to use crowd control projectiles and bring unblockable.

thief cant perma evade and cant perma reflect.

even if he used the warrior steal skill he would be dead in this case cus he cant do shit beside reflecting no protection no dodges.he could have used dagger storm but this isnt forevereven earth runes have cool down.

i have the balls to say hes just hacking, simple as that.only thing he could have done which is annoying and nearly impossible to kill unless thief gets greedy is S/D build. he can just go on for ever if not greedy and eventually take u down.

like i said many times greed is nr1 dead for thief.

I have made over tons of different builds for every class since launch, and played all professions as my main, but I simply cannot find a way to do what this guy is doing. After investigating this case more closely, looking at suggestions provided by the community (ty) and checking all the traits & runes options available, I cannot actually find a single legit way to do this (there is no animation, no cast time, its an instant proc reflect, even if u try from behind while he is fighting other ppl). Over the years I have fought him a handful of times, but he seems to be the only thief player I have ever encountered that uses this type of exploit (I am assuming he plays atleast on 2 different accounts, as these 2 thieves playstyle is so oddly uniquely identicle, but completely different from everyone elses playstyle).

The next most likely option (and as others have stated for years) is that he is using a custom made hack. Even though he does it in a very subtle way, one has to know what to look for to spot the stuff that isn't legit. [if I manage to identify him again, I will be submitting a report.]