Ranged profesion for wvw

Sky.7046

Hi i'm fairly new player but i like wvw mode very much. I like roaming around or following zerg and hunt for the weakest one. I play condi sb/sb soulbeats but maybe there is something better? I would like to do some damage and still not get oneshoted. Which ranged proffesion do you guys recommend an why?

Sbeast is quite versatile - it can pump out damage and also sustain, and is good from solo play up to small groups, but it is not really recommended for zerg play but you can always follow them, just don't be surprised though if they do not accept you into the squad [depending on commander]. If you still want to be "rangey"ish, try hammer rev or staff elementalist. Pretty much everything can be nearly burst to death though.

condi has no place in wvw. on any class that is

not for roaming, and not for zergs.

for zerging you want full offensive(berserker/marauder) (unless you play a support class than obviously not)for roaming you start with full marauder/whatever attribute you like and tweek it the more you feel comfortable with

as a warrior i started full marauder with durability runes, but after so many hours i just swapped to full zerker with surging runes and hardly notice a difference in my sustain, while my damage is way more impactful

swap gear piece by piece untill you find what works best for you, without sacrificing too much for it

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@melandru.3876 said:condi has no place in wvw. on any class that is

not for roaming, and not for zergs.Despite the power meta, thats not really true for roaming/smallscale. Both condi and hybrids still performs ok.

they don't thocondi doesn't bring expertise because condis get cleansed at corect times (unless noobs, that never cleanse but shall we balance/judge on noob-lvl or on a good level?)

no expertise = no decent stackscondis get cleansed = no stacks at all

and there goes the occasional condi mirage, condi daredevil trying to gank my norn warrior port, port away and forget this engage ever happened

@melandru.3876 said:

not for roaming, and not for zergs.Despite the power meta, thats not really true for roaming/smallscale. Both condi and hybrids still performs ok.

they don't thocondi doesn't bring expertise because condis get cleansed at corect times (unless noobs, that never cleanse but shall we balance/judge on noob-lvl or on a good level?)

and there goes the occasional condi mirage, condi daredevil trying to gank my norn warrior port, port away and forget this engage ever happened

Not every builds can cleanse reliably or very often. Some classes also have very strong condi bursts and uptime. Hybrid builds are also a thing like Dawdler mentioned, if condi fails you still have decent power spike.

@steki.1478 said:

Not every builds can cleanse reliably or very often. Some classes also have very strong condi bursts and uptime. Hybrid builds are also a thing like Dawdler mentioned, if condi fails you still have decent power spike.Indeed many dont even bring condi cleanse. I've ran my old condi gyro scrapper since they made the build fun again and condi bursting is of course how you kill enemies. I've seen people burn from 100 to 0. Tougher foes? The other day I had a 5 minute duel with a sustain boonbeast that cleansed constantly and I still won by a well placed burst (well, relatively speaking).

Of course its not as good as power once you start scaling it up. Anything above 3+ foes increase the chance of one of them being a healbot and then you got problems. I would pick power over condi there. But it still works. If it doesnt for people in solo fights... Well maybe they're just that good at it.

I mean I'm absolute kitten at soulbeast and I kill most I meet, but I've seen insanely good people on it anyway. I'm not gonna claim its weak just because I cant play it.

@melandru.3876 said:

Condi Reaper says Hi :kissing_blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHYGzduxOE

Ranger Pew Pew is the easiest ranged class to play but don't expect to be welcomed in a zerg. Roaming typically centers around escape and spike damage. Zerging typically revolves around group synergy. Essentially the two roles are at odds with each other. You could run a blow up Guardian or Rev but both have their respective weaknesses in one area of the game or the other but they are both workable in both styles of play.

@steki.1478 said:

Not every builds can cleanse reliably or very often. Some classes also have very strong condi bursts and uptime. Hybrid builds are also a thing like Dawdler mentioned, if condi fails you still have decent power spike.

i rather face a condi mirage then a power miragei rather face a condi thief then a s/d core thief

other guy said condi reaper? wth :p i have literally never seen a condi reaper in wvw, in the last 2 years

condis tickle my warrior, you are not going to take me down at all, dragged out fights do (good soulbeasts, good holos but holos fight is in my favor, good thiefs and other equally skilled warriors) hybrid builds to me are a jack of all trades, master of none

Just keep in mind that some players may hate on Rangers during zerg fights because there are tons of projectile reflection running around and you might be only killing your allies than actually helping. For example, Staff Daredevil might jump onto your allies > you unleash Rapidfire > you obliterate your allies. Yeah, there is a trait and utility for Unblockable attacks, however, over 90% of the time I see attacks reflected or blocked, so you would need to understand when to start hitting on the enemy.

Regarding roaming, it's considered of the best at the moment, and it also fares well in small groups.

@melandru.3876 said:

i rather face a condi mirage then a power miragei rather face a condi thief then a s/d core thief

other guy said condi reaper? wth :p i have literally never seen a condi reaper in wvw, in the last 2 years

condis tickle my warrior, you are not going to take me down at all, dragged out fights do (good soulbeasts, good holos but holos fight is in my favor, good thiefs and other equally skilled warriors) hybrid builds to me are a jack of all trades, master of noneWe get it, your build is good at fighting condi because its a warrior and that's good at fighting pretty much anything.
You
dont represent the entirety of WvW however. Condi still works fine to fight most of it outside of pure zerging. Hell even against warriors at times, despite them being heavily carried by their passive hp regen, true.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

condis tickle my warrior, you are not going to take me down at all, dragged out fights do (good soulbeasts, good holos but holos fight is in my favor, good thiefs and other equally skilled warriors) hybrid builds to me are a jack of all trades, master of noneWe get it, your build is good at fighting condi because its a warrior and that's good at fighting pretty much anything.
You
dont represent the entirety of WvW however. Condi still works fine to fight most of it outside of pure zerging. Hell even against warriors at times, despite them being heavily carried by their passive hp regen, true.

you are not gonna kill my soulbeast either with condi, or my druid, or my weaver, or my holopretty much any decent roaming classes..because they can deal with all situations, hence "roaming" classses. they anticipate power spiks, and have the needed condi cleanse because the most dangerous conditions are blind,weakness, chill and immobilize which you still face vs power based classes

i feel you are more leaning towards "warrior OP plz nerf" since it's so obvious

Condition builds are very viable small-scale, and have been for ages. And honestly, it's not only much easier to play a condi mirage than a power version, it's far more effective against the majority of classes (and equivalent against the rest).

Even though I play power mirage a lot more often than condi, I tend to avoid fighting warriors with it because most of them can down light armour with a couple hits, and I usually can't evade all of them for long enough to burn through all their immunities. Because the condition-heavy weapons for mirage have more evasive options however, it's considerably easier to fight warriors with them, even without bunker gear. Anyone who actually manages to lose to a warrior on a condi mirage would have no chance at all on a power build.

Shortbow is actually not too bad on condi ranger, though it only gets any use because there aren't many other ranged condi weapons to choose from. The majority of roamers will be going longbow for their ranged weapon, largely because you can down someone from 1500 range with it. While a condi bunker ranger can sustain pretty well, it doesn't really excel at anything, where power soulbeast certainly does. If you're looking to pick off stragglers, longbow soulbeast would easily be the best way to go.

For contributing to a zerg, on the other hand, I'd suggest hammer revenant as a ranged build. It's not as dangerous to single targets as a power soulbeast but it's a lot more dangerous to groups.

@melandru.3876 said:

You

you are not gonna kill my soulbeast either with condi, or my druid, or my weaver, or my holopretty much any decent roaming classes..because they can deal with all situations, hence "roaming" classses. they anticipate power spiks, and have the needed condi cleanse because the most dangerous conditions are blind,weakness, chill and immobilize which you still face vs power based classes

i feel you are more leaning towards "warrior OP plz nerf" since it's so obviousLiterally all classes are OP today one way or another and I see that as balance in a twisted masochistic way. Warrior is very strong when roaming (berserker can now instakill pretty much anything) and its passive hp regen, blocks and other passives can carry a good player through the roof, it's been like that for a long time. No matter where you look if there's a cheese build fighting and killing you... there will come another cheese build to kill him, you can be sure of that. If you think your warrior, your builds or any of those classes are exceptions, think again.

Besides, even when I play my scrapper like crap and have the reaction time of an arthritic seal I can still kill for example soulbeasts. Well unless he handed me the win out of pity or he was a really, really bad soulbeast, that's also a distinct possibility. Apparently everyone thought it was a stupid duel, lol.

Either way, point for the OP is here - pick one you like to play and try it out. You're only going to get good by actually playing it... alot. And by doing so, you will most likely naturally try different types of builds, power or condi. It's not like it's particularly expensive to experiment. We cant really tell you what to like or where you might have possibility to improve. I've seen same classes on similar builds absolutely roflstomp everything in sight or fall flat on its face to the point where you can only laugh. If you dont like it... choose again. No class is perfect. Since you already got a soulbeast I would personally just try a boonbeast or something.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

You

i feel you are more leaning towards "warrior OP plz nerf" since it's so obviousLiterally all classes are OP today one way or another and I see that as balance in a twisted masochistic way. Warrior is very strong when roaming (berserker can now instakill pretty much anything) and its passive hp regen, blocks and other passives can carry a good player through the roof, it's been like that for a long time. No matter where you look if there's a cheese build fighting and killing you... there will come another cheese build to kill him, you can be sure of that. If you think your warrior, your builds or any of those classes are exceptions, think again.

Besides, even when I play my scrapper like kitten and have the reaction time of an arthritic seal I can still kill for example soulbeasts. Well unless he handed me the win out of pity or he was a really, really bad soulbeast, that's also a distinct possibility. Apparently everyone thought it was a stupid duel, lol.

Either way, point for the OP is here - pick one you like to play and try it out. You're only going to get
good
by actually playing it... alot. And by doing so, you will most likely naturally try different types of builds, power or condi. It's not like it's particularly expensive to experiment. We cant really tell you what to like or where you might have possibility to improve. I've seen same classes on similar builds absolutely roflstomp everything in sight or fall flat on its face to the point where you can only laugh. If you dont like it... choose again. No class is perfect. Since you already got a soulbeast I would personally just try a boonbeast or something.

power soulbeast, then you see it using brown bear.

well, only natural that you won