Staff should have blocks

Dahkeus.8243

@melandru.3876 said:

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:Make skill 3 a 1 1/2s channeled block.Make skill 4 a “withdraw” style evade but leaves a trail of dust that blinds foes.

So from what I have seen of the Elite specs fighting style, it resembles a Martial arts style staff in real life. That said I disagree with a block as a staff does not block attacks from weapons as much as parries or deflects them. I agree we need something defensive in the skill set, perhaps a spinning staff that deflects attacks, if successful the staff skill changes to an activatable skill that delivers a counterblow to the melee ranged opponent, ranged opponents are harder to deflect. ranged attacks should have a 50/50 chance of deflection.

I love using a staff but I wish it had more traits of an actual martial arts staff that it is based off, dodging, parrying and counterattacking instead of just its heavy attacks.

I’m not opposed to the Parry/Counterattack. I rather it’s automatic counter attack once it blocks (rather than an activated one like bandits defense), similar to spear skills from both Warrior and Thief.

Btw, revenant has a staff channeled block. so...

warrior has a rifle knockbackhurry also ask for one on thief

/s

why do people allways go "but this class also has it!"

isn't the point of different classes to play different and feel unique, so why try to make them all feel the same?

Because ANET keeps pushing for staff DD but doesn’t really give them proper tools to sustain.

And yes. I want knockback on my DE rifle.and cookiesand muffins

i mean...

you have an evade on staff 3you have an evade on staff 5you have 3 dodges compared to 2

blind on staff 4weakness on staff 2

punnishing strikes has a build in reflect (lol??? reflect in auto attack chain???)

that is pretty much everything to shut down physical-damage classes with or evades, or blind, or weakness, or reflects

if you want to turn staff from a dps weapon (which on top of all that, staff still is see pve meta) to a utility weapon like said rev, then you'd need to shave in alot of the damagei'm not sure if pve thiefs would like such staff overhaul, and redesigning a full weapon is still different then splitting 1 skill for pvp balance

Problem is u can name all the block and evades which seems like alot and that it would be enough but the reality is with the cost of ini for staff invades and endurance cost on evades u run out fast and most times classes out sustain ur dps and if they connect 2 hits on u ur in downstate. Even with all evades available sustain on thief isn't enough these days to be a viable dueler.

but, thief isn't a duelist ^^thief is a decapper /+1'er

sacrifice your mobility, and i'll approve for better sustain

I kno man but I was just saying if the dev's are pushing staff into more of a close range brawler which I think is what the swipe change was soposed to signify though no one can be sure of what arenanet thinking or if they even are lol

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:Make skill 3 a 1 1/2s channeled block.Make skill 4 a “withdraw” style evade but leaves a trail of dust that blinds foes.

So from what I have seen of the Elite specs fighting style, it resembles a Martial arts style staff in real life. That said I disagree with a block as a staff does not block attacks from weapons as much as parries or deflects them. I agree we need something defensive in the skill set, perhaps a spinning staff that deflects attacks, if successful the staff skill changes to an activatable skill that delivers a counterblow to the melee ranged opponent, ranged opponents are harder to deflect. ranged attacks should have a 50/50 chance of deflection.

I love using a staff but I wish it had more traits of an actual martial arts staff that it is based off, dodging, parrying and counterattacking instead of just its heavy attacks.

I’m not opposed to the Parry/Counterattack. I rather it’s automatic counter attack once it blocks (rather than an activated one like bandits defense), similar to spear skills from both Warrior and Thief.

/s

isn't the point of different classes to play different and feel unique, so why try to make them all feel the same?

Because ANET keeps pushing for staff DD but doesn’t really give them proper tools to sustain.

i mean...

you have an evade on staff 3you have an evade on staff 5you have 3 dodges compared to 2

punnishing strikes has a build in reflect (lol??? reflect in auto attack chain???)

that is pretty much everything to shut down physical-damage classes with or evades, or blind, or weakness, or reflects

if you want to turn staff from a dps weapon (which on top of all that, staff still is see pve meta) to a utility weapon like said rev, then you'd need to shave in alot of the damagei'm not sure if pve thiefs would like such staff overhaul, and redesigning a full weapon is still different then splitting 1 skill for pvp balance

Problem is u can name all the block and evades which seems like alot and that it would be enough but the reality is with the cost of ini for staff invades and endurance cost on evades u run out fast and most times classes out sustain ur dps and if they connect 2 hits on u ur in downstate. Even with all evades available sustain on thief isn't enough these days to be a viable dueler.

I kno man but I was just saying if the dev's are pushing staff into more of a close range brawler which I think is what the swipe change was soposed to signify though no one can be sure of what arenanet thinking or if they even are lol

obviously staff is close range, else they would have 450-900 range, no?

the issue is staff is overshadowed by other (core) weapons d/p or s/deither staff needs a buff, or the other sets a nerf

@melandru.3876 said:

/s

i mean...

obviously staff is close range, else they would have 450-900 range, no?

the issue is staff is overshadowed by other (core) weapons d/p or s/deither staff needs a buff, or the other sets a nerf

Yeah losing all the range on steal and the trait changes kinda makes me think they want staff to be thiefs 1v1 oriented build but in reality the staff buffs were bit of a net nerf for dueling and really hit DD d/P hard. I donno I think they tried but just wasn't thought out enough or far enough. I'd even be ok with bit less mobility if it meant some staying power within the fights.

@Ensign.2189 said:Look I know staff gets a bad rap because Vault spam destroys silver, but back when there were esports in this game it was pretty well known that the workhorse skills were staff 3 and 4. You broke out Vault to punish a disabled foe, or in bigger fights where everyone couldn't pay attention to dodging you (and if they did it caused them more problems). It was your money shot, like finishing people with Backstab combos.

Debilitating Arc and Dust Strike are your Shadow Shot. Don't mess with the workhorse of the set. If you want to screw with something look at Weakening Charge - now that is a bad skill that you barely ever use.This is true of Weakening Charge for the time period that you're talking about, but since that period, WC has been improved as a damage-dealing attack. I can't speak to how well it works as such since staff overall still seems to be a weak option overall for PvP and I have little experience using it in this game type. However, as long as they keep the 20% damage increase that was applied in the July '18 patch a PvE-only thing, I think they could get away with putting a block on the WC animation.

@melandru.3876 said:Problem is u can name all the block and evades which seems like alot and that it would be enough but the reality is with the cost of ini for staff invades and endurance cost on evades u run out fast and most times classes out sustain ur dps and if they connect 2 hits on u ur in downstate. Even with all evades available sustain on thief isn't enough these days to be a viable dueler.

Thief is, yes, but Daredevil is supposed to be a brawler and that's what dev's cited as their reason for nerfing DrD in a way that killed D/P DrD. Trouble is, it just doesn't work as one until they make some serious changes and making staff a brawler-capable weapon would be a way that they could address this.