Are there any katana sword skins?

You can preview all the available weapon (and armour) skins by going to the bank and clicking on the wardrobe tab. Then you can use the Wiki to find out how skins are obtained.

(I recommend finding a few options and keeping an open mind, then checking how they're obtained, you might find your perfect skin is insanely expensive or virtually impossible to get but there's one which is almost as good and much, much easier. Of course you might also decide you're willing to do whatever it takes to get that perfect skin, but even then it might be nice to have one to use while you're working on it.)

I use two of these on my mesmer https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mordrem_Saber not a katana but they're the nearest thing I've found for the katana look I wanted.

The only actual katana (or katana style) I've seen is Belinda's Greatsword as others have linked, but I've not brought it as the animations for mesmer greatsword skills don't really work with it imo (in fact would be interested to know which classes, if any, where the animations actually look good/right with that skin? Have a ranger but I just don't think the GS skills on that work with it either)

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@"Kal Spiro.9745" said:Belinda's Sword is a straight up Katana. It's a Gem Shop Greatsword skin.If you're looking for a one hander the closest thing I know of is

In before the inevitable argument about the definition of a "katana" vs other similar-styled swords.

Well i'm going to say it anyways... B)

Belinda's Sword is a Odachi and not a katana.Appearances may look the say but they are different swords as the Odachi is a longer and heavier sword made to be used for two-handed use as a Greatsword while katana should be much shorter to be used for one-handed or two-handed combat use but not as short as the Kodachi which is some times paired with a katana for a dual sword combat style due to the kodachi's length being more closer to a dagger.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The infused samurai 1-h sword from the recent new gem store package seems nice. (Since I do not like greatsword that much and 1-h fits for a lot of styles for different classes I play as well. )

Too bad it is (at least at the moment) only available from the package. Not individually sold. Still tempting and I'm considering buying it to support the game since I usually only buy stuff on sale and rarely skins. (Mainly going for upgrades like bank tab/storage expander, etc.)

Edit: While the sword isn't available individually ... there is the blades pack (only sword + dagger) and the outfit individually. At least saves me from having to get the outfit as well which I probably would not use. But I can use both weapon skins.

Edit2: Bought the blades pack and now I'm using the katana + the lunar new year shield skin on my holosmith a bit. (Though I guess I might still prefer the lightsaber-style swords there. But for the alt chars the katana will be nice for the styles I plan there.)

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@"Kal Spiro.9745" said:Belinda's Sword is a straight up Katana. It's a Gem Shop Greatsword skin.If you're looking for a one hander the closest thing I know of is

In before the inevitable argument about the definition of a "katana" vs other similar-styled swords.

That's not a Katana. THIS is a Katana.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:I think the main issue with any japanese style sword added to the game is that the combat itself is not based on japanese combat styles and those kind of swords are based on precise that.Why isn't there an upcoming expansion with an asian theme to introduce combat styles like japanese sword fighting styles??Wait!!

That would be awesome. Currently in the roster warrior would make most sense for bushi complete with land spear, it would be amazing if the devs reworked the animations for gs,sw and lb to suit a more Japanese sword fighting style but that's probably too much to ask of them.Maybe a new Japanese themed class will be introduced:)

@mercury ranique.2170 said:I think the main issue with any japanese style sword added to the game is that the combat itself is not based on japanese combat styles and those kind of swords are based on precise that.

Honestly given the large variety of weapons skins nobody can ever be pleased. Nobody bats an eye when it's about a zweihander, a rapier or even a effing candelabra as it should be. But somehow it's an outrage when it touches katanas.

@MrForz.1953 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:I think the main issue with any japanese style sword added to the game is that the combat itself is not based on japanese combat styles and those kind of swords are based on precise that.

Honestly given the large variety of weapons skins nobody can ever be pleased. Nobody bats an eye when it's about a zweihander, a rapier or even a effing candelabra as it should be. But somehow it's an outrage when it touches katanas.

It would be nice if games with a variety of swords (and other weapon types) could do different animations to suit the different types of sword, but I think it would be a lot of work for minimal benefit. Especially in a game like GW2 where you've got 5 different races, and each profession that can use swords generally has different animations for their attacks as well, so it's not just 1 set of animations but up to 45 of them (if all 9 professions get swords eventually). Given that you can't really spend a lot of time in combat watching your character and there's no guarantee most players will even use a katana style sword skin (especially while they're only available from the gem store) I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

It sometimes bothers me in single-player games without a character creator where there's just 1 character to animate, but even then it depends on the game. Breath of the Wild for example I think should have done it, because they even have descriptions stating that different swords need different techniques and that some double-sided ones were created to accommodate soldiers unfamiliar with single-sided katana style swords...but they all work the same anyway. Plus it would make the massive variety of swords in that game feel more justified.

One option - going back to GW2 - could be to sell the animations in the gem store alongside the skins, but I'm not sure how players would react to that, especially since I suspect the animations would make it much more expensive.

@Danikat.8537 said:

It would be nice if games with a variety of swords (and other weapon types) could do different animations to suit the different types of sword, but I think it would be a lot of work for minimal benefit. Especially in a game like GW2 where you've got 5 different races, and each profession that can use swords generally has different animations for their attacks as well, so it's not just 1 set of animations but up to 45 of them (if all 9 professions get swords eventually). Given that you can't really spend a lot of time in combat watching your character and there's no guarantee most players will even use a katana style sword skin (especially while they're only available from the gem store) I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

It sometimes bothers me in single-player games without a character creator where there's just 1 character to animate, but even then it depends on the game. Breath of the Wild for example I think should have done it, because they even have descriptions stating that different swords need different techniques and that some double-sided ones were created to accommodate soldiers unfamiliar with single-sided katana style swords...but they all work the same anyway. Plus it would make the massive variety of swords in that game feel more justified.

One option - going back to GW2 - could be to sell the animations in the gem store alongside the skins, but I'm not sure how players would react to that, especially since I suspect the animations would make it much more expensive.

I was personally thinking about an elite specification that adds such a fighting style for the skills and weapontype of that elite specification. It is still up to the player to equip a skin fitting to the animation.