All I want for Christmas - Engineer backpack skins

Lonami.2987

The day was June 23, 2015. The last big patch before the release of Heart of Thorns, it gave us a huge core professions overhaul, in preparation for the first generation of elite specializations.

It also upgraded the visuals for engineer kits, removing the classic kit packs.

We were told these would return as back item skins some day. However, three and a half years later, we're still waiting. It's obvious they forgot about them at some point, not unlike the revenant weapons. What better time to remember them than Christmas?

Bomb PackAXAFvTpm.jpg

Elixir Pack30C2Gqgm.jpg

Flame PackK3ATCx8m.jpg

Health PackR513ak3m.jpg

Mine PackMhyENonm.jpg

Unknown name3uwTpbem.jpg

Note that the Elite Mortar Kit never had a backpack of its own, because it wasn't a kit before.

So, how do we bring them back? The easiest solution is to reintroduce them as back item skins, by adding them through a karma merchant. Just make sure they're easily available, since making them too expensive or hard to acquire would invalidate the point of letting people easily use them again.

Alternatively, we could get a new mechanic customization option, not unlike rangers and their pet customization menu, that would let engineers use different skins for their kits. For example, Sabetha's Boomstick and Crucible as a flamethrower kit skin, or Horrik's Cannon as a mortar skin. In this new menu, engineer players would be able to turn the kit backpack visuals on and off too.

That's it for me! Have a happy Christmas, and let's hope we get to see these packs back some day!

Same thread at reddit.

• 4 weeks later...

@ProfCarson.7124 said:I too would like to see skins for kits. I would actually like to see it for all classes, for things like summoned weapons and such. Of course this would have to be a PvE thing cause it would probably be too confusing in PvP, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'summoned weapons', but the Ele Conjure weapons, Mesmer Phantasm weapons, and Guardian Spirit weapons are all available as normal weapon skins. Although they're pretty expensive - they're made in the Mystic Forge, I think, with quite a high Mystic Coin cost.

• 3 weeks later...

@ProfCarson.7124 said:I too would like to see skins for kits. I would actually like to see it for all classes, for things like summoned weapons and such. Of course this would have to be a PvE thing cause it would probably be too confusing in PvP, but I could be wrong.

Been suggested a few times. Rangers can customize their pets with different race-skins, why can't engineers use different flamethrower skins too? Same for turrets, banners, minions, etc. Lot of customization potential here.

@Dace.8173 said:I miss the flamethrower backpack. It's also worth noting that the Revenant weapons are in game. I've already made two of them.

Yup, they were added some months ago. Only the staff is missing, but it was used for the trailer only, so maybe it was never intended to be obtainable in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not main engineer, so I'd like to obtain the backpacks as skins also for my other alts. Maybe someone start a poll in the guild wars 2 discussions forum? I tried to create a poll, unfortunately it changed the poll to a question automatically due to an forum software bug:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/73680/request-bring-back-the-engineer-backpack-kits-as-skins-for-back-items#latest

• 2 weeks later...