Necro wvw roaming builds and tips

alain.1659

Hello all,

As I have been playing the game for many years, necro seems to be one of my weakest links when it comes to wvw roaming, especially with the meta we are in. Although part of it is my fault as I dislike scourge and love reaper and core necro, I felt the need to as builds and tips to improve necro roaming. With many professions I can easily do 2v1 if my skill is slightly higher than my opponents (or if I do not encounter some instacheese builds)

So, in light of these, I want to ask you your tips on roaming, and handling against other professions (especially long range and hard cc feels boring). I like power builds more and I felt the need to be a little sturdy due to roaming being mostly outnumbered for me. Thanks for your help.

General Tips:

1. Corruption Priority:

• If you are a Condi build, generally save your corruptions for boons like stability, resistance, might
  • If you are a Power build, generally save your corruptions for boons like stability, protection, might

2. Defensive Pointers:

• Running at least 1 Energy sigil for an extra dodge is very helpful. Very good for baiting bursts. Dodge + Dodge + Weapon-Swap for another Dodge = 3 Dodges in a row.
  • Necros are generally more vulnerable when leaving shroud, so save your defensive/mobility utilities and dodges for the windows where shroud is on cool-down.
  • In the same Shroud vein, be prepared to dodge the moment you leave Shroud because good opponents tend to time their bursts at this moment.

3. Cast Times:

• Necro skills generally have relatively long/odd cast-times so being familiar with the timing can help you land them better
  • Due to the long cast-times, certain skills are good for super-cancelling to bait dodges and defenses, like CCTB and Reaper Shroud 5.

4. Mobility / Kiting:

• Play around with this combination of Spectral Walk + Reaper Shroud 2 + Wurm + Norn Snow Leopard and use them in accordance with your terrain and you'll find that Necros are not that easy to focus after all.
  • Always stay on the move (unless you have torment on you) and use skills that do cripple and chill to stall your opponents

5. Shroud Usage:

• Shroud is a simple F1 button, yet it is also a very complicated button.
  • Knowing when to enter and exit shroud is key to many fights.
  • Know what are the on-entry and on-exit Shroud traits that are triggered to better time your moments.
  • Don't camp in Shroud longer than necessary.

Weapon Tips:

1. Staff Usage:

• Against Power foes, generally it would be good to land Staff 3 -> Staff 4 to inflict weakness on them.
  • Against Condi Foes, generally it would be good to keep Staff 4 for moments when you need to transfer conditions back onto them.
  • Against Invisible Foes, it is good to cast Staff 2 directly under you to give you more warning against any possible close-range stealth bursts from them.
  • Keep Staff 5 for key moments like interrupting heals, interrupting channeling skills, creating opening for yourself to heal, chain cc etc.

2. Dagger OH Usage:

• Dagger 4 is very useful for transferring immobilizes, blinds and damaging conditions.
  • Dagger 5 is a good area denial skill that can be casted on top of yourself as a defensive option to preempt close-range foes

Vs Classes Tips:

1. Mesmer:

• Against power ones, dodge primarily their GS 2 which is the lead-up for many of their bursts. Dodge Sword 3.
  • Watch out for Power-lock builds that can deny your dodge.
  • Use Staff Marks to mark the ground below you to give you more reaction time if you see them go Invis.
  • Against condi ones, dodge primarily their Torch 5, and bring non-transfer-dependent types of condi clears like Cleansing Sigil or Unholy Matyr or Shrouded Removal because good ones know how to burst and deny transfers.

2. Elementalist:

• If you're running a Power build, corrupting their Protection boon is key. You need to be bursty enough to overwhelm their barrier/sustain.
  • If you're running a Condi build, burst them after they leave Water / used ToF stance
  • Generally the best window to burst them is when they are trying to burst you in fire attunement
  • Watch out for Fresh Air eles and be prepared to breakstun+dodge upon contact because they love to stun/immobilize + burst.

3: Ranger:

• Once our hardest counter like 90:10 hard, they are now much more manageable with the mount like 70:30.
  • Save your dodges for Rapid Fire when he is in LB.
  • Do whatever you can to close gap and stay right in their face (like using Spectral Walk when you anticipate a knock-back so you can rebound immediately).
  • Take utilities like Spectral Grasp, CPC, Corrupt Boon.
  • Don't waste your dodge on Smoke Assault -> Dodge Take down which generally follows after Smoke Assault ends -> Keep moving away after the dodge to avoid Worldly Impact which is the killer.
  • Try to interrupt their mobility skills

4: Thief:

• Against S/P Pistol Whip thieves, preempt their Sword 2 which immobilize, and dodge or transfer the immobilize back to them before they execute their Pistol Whip. The more times you prevent their Sword 2 -> Pistol Whip chain, the higher your chances of winning.
  • Against all Sword main-hand thieves like S/P or S/D, kite towards their starting positions before they used Sword 2 so that they have less room to kite around with Sword 2 and Sword 2 Return
  • Against Staff DDs, keep moving to make it harder for them to land their damaging dodges. Dodge primarily their Staff 5.
  • Against D/P thieves, try to interrupt them right after they use Black Powder.
  • Against P/P theives, interrupt or dodge their Pistol 3 chains.
  • Against Deadeyes, be prepared to break-stun, remove immobilize, close gap, dodge DJs, stay right in their face.
  • Dodge their Steal.

5. Engineer:

• Time your corrupts well against this stability spewing monster and you'll largely be able to hold your own.

6. Warrior:

• Against Core Adrenal Warriors, save your dodge for their F2 bursts which is their primary source of healing.
  • Against Spellbreakers, time and bait their full counters with weapon stow, canceling channeling skills etc.
  • Watch out for Rifle wielders, arguably our worst nightmare.

7. Guardian:

• When fighting DH, save our unblockable corrupts for their F3 shield stab
  • Multi-hit skill to break their Focus 5
  • A good kiting DH is extremely tough to fight so stay near them like you would a Soulbeast.
  • Unblockable shout is your best friend

8. Revenant:

• Dodge Sword 2
  • Condi builds generally have an easier time against them
  • Thanks 1

I know you said you don't really like Scourge, but in my opinion Scourge is absolutely amazing for roaming.As a Necro for all specs in roaming, EVERYONE WILL TARGET YOU in a group fight.As the other dude said above, running double energy is essential for us Necros.

The thing Scourge has over Reaper and Core is Sand Swell because it allows you to portal juke and kite multiple enemies.Absolutely the best skill necro has ever received. Just note as I'm posting this Sand Swell is Bugged, so be warned.

Warrior:Fight is really easy with any necro as long as you run double energy with at least 2 stun breaks.Pay attention to their attacks and dodge.

Guardian:You only have to worry about Dragon Hunters here. Pay attention to true shot as it will destroy you once the DH starts to gain distance. Never get out of melee range of this class and make sure to dodge all True Shots.

Revenants:As someone who duels top tier revs like Tubby Two Ton, you need to corrupt their might as often as you can. Applying chill really hurts them a lot so make sure you do this as often as possible. Most common revs aren't too hard for us to beat.

Thief:

Staff is your best friend if Condi. Axe is your best friend if power. If running condi, do not waste all your skills on a thief. This fight is all about you not burning through cool downs. Thieves can remove condi when they dodge an attack. I like to apply a couple of stacks of conditions and just completely stop attacking. I notice when I do this thiefs just burn through their dodges hoping they dodge an attack to remove a condi.

Engineer:Conditions really hurt Scrapper and any necro should win this fight. As for holosmith. As someone who has dueled Xan, reading your opponents and timing your corrupts is your best bet. I still struggle with top tier Holosmith players.

Necro:Whoever is better will win. Most necro players are bad tbh.

Elementalist:Necro should always win this fight.

Mesmer:Ah yes, took me awhile to figure out how to consistently beat mesmers on a Necro. I only know how to beat mesmers on Scourge. Never fight directly fight them. I usually let them chase me and place AoE fields behind me. ONLY fight head on if you know you can secure a kill. This goes for both condi mesmer and power mesmers. It may seem like a cheese strategy but most mesmer burst require them to be in melee range and you could use this to your advantage.

Ranger:Saved our hardest match up for last. In a duel against a competent ranger you will most likely lose all the time. Best advice is to always break line of site with them. I've been playing with Corrosive Poison Cloud and as this is somewhat helpful. CPC just isn't going to cut it against pro rangers. Just never let them gain distance between you and make sure you apply tons of chill as it really hurts them a lot. Make sure to always dodge Long Bow 4 as this is the skill that will kill you in the fight.

Outnumbered Solo fights:As I mention with mesmer, on Scourge I always let them chase and I'll place AoE fields behind me. The second I notice one backing away and is low, I focus this target. If I notice the my opponents has a ranger, I will always focus them super aggressively at the start. Rangers are our weakness and taking them out asap should always be our top priority.

Roaming w/ friends in a small group fight:The second the fight starts, they will all focus you. Make sure to position yourself correctly and let your teammates know they should kill and ranger or deadeye if the opportunity arises. You will most likely have a Warrior completely aggro on you during the entire group fight. I don't know why this is. But there's always one warrior on me in every group fight. Just dodge their attacks and focus other high value targets. If the warrior stuns you, pop a stun break. If your on Scourge, sand swell is amazing for kiting and relieving a lot of the aggro if you're portal juking.

I'm just a guy who daily solo roams on Scourge.I also do a lot of duels.

• 3 years later...
On 4/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, EremiteAngel.9765 said:

General Tips:

1. Corruption Priority:

• If you are a Condi build, generally save your corruptions for boons like stability, resistance, might
  • If you are a Power build, generally save your corruptions for boons like stability, protection, might

2. Defensive Pointers:

• Running at least 1 Energy sigil for an extra dodge is very helpful. Very good for baiting bursts. Dodge + Dodge + Weapon-Swap for another Dodge = 3 Dodges in a row.
  • Necros are generally more vulnerable when leaving shroud, so save your defensive/mobility utilities and dodges for the windows where shroud is on cool-down.
  • In the same Shroud vein, be prepared to dodge the moment you leave Shroud because good opponents tend to time their bursts at this moment.

3. Cast Times:

• Necro skills generally have relatively long/odd cast-times so being familiar with the timing can help you land them better
  • Due to the long cast-times, certain skills are good for super-cancelling to bait dodges and defenses, like CCTB and Reaper Shroud 5.

4. Mobility / Kiting:

• Play around with this combination of Spectral Walk + Reaper Shroud 2 + Wurm + Norn Snow Leopard and use them in accordance with your terrain and you'll find that Necros are not that easy to focus after all.
  • Always stay on the move (unless you have torment on you) and use skills that do cripple and chill to stall your opponents

5. Shroud Usage:

• Shroud is a simple F1 button, yet it is also a very complicated button.
  • Knowing when to enter and exit shroud is key to many fights.
  • Know what are the on-entry and on-exit Shroud traits that are triggered to better time your moments.
  • Don't camp in Shroud longer than necessary.

Weapon Tips:

1. Staff Usage:

• Against Power foes, generally it would be good to land Staff 3 -> Staff 4 to inflict weakness on them.
  • Against Condi Foes, generally it would be good to keep Staff 4 for moments when you need to transfer conditions back onto them.
  • Against Invisible Foes, it is good to cast Staff 2 directly under you to give you more warning against any possible close-range stealth bursts from them.
  • Keep Staff 5 for key moments like interrupting heals, interrupting channeling skills, creating opening for yourself to heal, chain cc etc.

2. Dagger OH Usage:

• Dagger 4 is very useful for transferring immobilizes, blinds and damaging conditions.
  • Dagger 5 is a good area denial skill that can be casted on top of yourself as a defensive option to preempt close-range foes

Vs Classes Tips:

1. Mesmer:

• Against power ones, dodge primarily their GS 2 which is the lead-up for many of their bursts. Dodge Sword 3.
  • Watch out for Power-lock builds that can deny your dodge.
  • Use Staff Marks to mark the ground below you to give you more reaction time if you see them go Invis.
  • Against condi ones, dodge primarily their Torch 5, and bring non-transfer-dependent types of condi clears like Cleansing Sigil or Unholy Matyr or Shrouded Removal because good ones know how to burst and deny transfers.

2. Elementalist:

• If you're running a Power build, corrupting their Protection boon is key. You need to be bursty enough to overwhelm their barrier/sustain.
  • If you're running a Condi build, burst them after they leave Water / used ToF stance
  • Generally the best window to burst them is when they are trying to burst you in fire attunement
  • Watch out for Fresh Air eles and be prepared to breakstun+dodge upon contact because they love to stun/immobilize + burst.

3: Ranger:

• Once our hardest counter like 90:10 hard, they are now much more manageable with the mount like 70:30.
  • Save your dodges for Rapid Fire when he is in LB.
  • Do whatever you can to close gap and stay right in their face (like using Spectral Walk when you anticipate a knock-back so you can rebound immediately).
  • Take utilities like Spectral Grasp, CPC, Corrupt Boon.
  • Don't waste your dodge on Smoke Assault -> Dodge Take down which generally follows after Smoke Assault ends -> Keep moving away after the dodge to avoid Worldly Impact which is the killer.
  • Try to interrupt their mobility skills

4: Thief:

• Against S/P Pistol Whip thieves, preempt their Sword 2 which immobilize, and dodge or transfer the immobilize back to them before they execute their Pistol Whip. The more times you prevent their Sword 2 -> Pistol Whip chain, the higher your chances of winning.
  • Against all Sword main-hand thieves like S/P or S/D, kite towards their starting positions before they used Sword 2 so that they have less room to kite around with Sword 2 and Sword 2 Return
  • Against Staff DDs, keep moving to make it harder for them to land their damaging dodges. Dodge primarily their Staff 5.
  • Against D/P thieves, try to interrupt them right after they use Black Powder.
  • Against P/P theives, interrupt or dodge their Pistol 3 chains.
  • Against Deadeyes, be prepared to break-stun, remove immobilize, close gap, dodge DJs, stay right in their face.
  • Dodge their Steal.

5. Engineer:

• Time your corrupts well against this stability spewing monster and you'll largely be able to hold your own.

6. Warrior:

• Against Core Adrenal Warriors, save your dodge for their F2 bursts which is their primary source of healing.
  • Against Spellbreakers, time and bait their full counters with weapon stow, canceling channeling skills etc.
  • Watch out for Rifle wielders, arguably our worst nightmare.

7. Guardian:

• When fighting DH, save our unblockable corrupts for their F3 shield stab
  • Multi-hit skill to break their Focus 5
  • A good kiting DH is extremely tough to fight so stay near them like you would a Soulbeast.
  • Unblockable shout is your best friend

8. Revenant:

• Dodge Sword 2
  • Condi builds generally have an easier time against them

And what this failed to mention was, Core Necros have no stability when in shroud so enemies can simply knock, pull, root, fear, etc you do death and with all the Boons none Necro classes generate, you conditions are going to do the minimum in damage, which is a scratch at best.

Stop trying to make the class same good when it's the World of Warcraft Warrior Class of "GW2."

11 hours ago, Horace.3184 said:

And what this failed to mention was, Core Necros have no stability when in shroud so enemies can simply knock, pull, root, fear, etc you do death and with all the Boons none Necro classes generate, you conditions are going to do the minimum in damage, which is a scratch at best.

Stop trying to make the class same good when it's the World of Warcraft Warrior Class of "GW2."

On 4/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, EremiteAngel.9765 said: