Why not just make Dragon Emblem Clothing Outfit for sale on the gemstore for 0 gems

ANet has two choices when it comes to giveaways:

• They offer them to a subset of players.
  • They offer no promotions at all.

There is no option C of "offer all promotions everywhere" because no company can afford to do that. Rules for sweepstakes and such vary with each country and it's a nightmare trying to keep track.

For instance, here's why Quebec gets excluded:https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835It's a great example of how the government has protected their citizens so well that hardly any international giveaways include that slice of Canada.

It should be obvious that because ANet is located in the US, it's far, far easier for them to comply with US regulations than any of the others.

Similarly, ANet has given away codes for this same T-Shirt in the past, but only at conventions or "meet & greets." And those are even more restrictive, because they take place so rarely in so few cities that the vast majority of players never had any opportunity to get them. I've never seen complaints about that.

For what it's worth, I've yet to participate in any of these contests, despite being eligible. I'd be pleased if they offered a Euro-centric or Aussie-centric contest, with different prizes (or the same ones).

My feeling is: if it brings in new players or generates new revenue, then great. That means ANet can afford more of whatever they are doing. And that's good for all of us.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet has two choices when it comes to giveaways:

• They offer them to a subset of players.
  • They offer no promotions at all.

There is no option C of "offer all promotions everywhere" because no company can afford to do that.

I must disagree with you.

The miniature egg was available for everyone, no matter where you live.

Why not the outfit? There are no real differences between the two : both are a bunch of pixels with no real moneytary value.

I understand why they are restricting regions when there is a physical reward, but not when they are giving away intangible goods.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

I take it you ignored the part where they mentioned that they're working on other promotions for those outside of the U.S.? You also realize that part of the issue is because of the stupidity of EU? Yes, I said the stupidity of the EU, because of their draconian measures it restricts how businesses can promote themselves, to many regulations and laws telling individuals how to live and/or raise their children(it's not the governments job to tell me how to raise my children, that is my responsibility alone).

You wanna live in a country where there is rule of law then sorry to say your responsibility is to raise your children within the framework of those laws.. otherwise the choice is simple go someplace where those laws don't apply and you can do as you please.. same goes for business. Then again I am sure those businesses have all done their homework and have a better understanding of what they can and can't do under law than you perhaps.Many of us dislike the way EU players have been repeatedly treated of late, but laws are laws.. without them I would hazard a guess the world has the potential to be in an even more messed up state than it already is.I for one don't want to live in a nanny state, but neither do I want free rule and lawless society so we either live under the law or we go someplace where it doesn't apply and live happily ever after... make your choice.

BTW.. I too want that outfit, but I also prefer to not have my personal data etc passed around freely to get it... perhaps that has something to do with why there are limits on how this promotion can be pushed out to the GW2 community. I would rather ANET/Alienware be upfront about the exclusions so we don't get into the same mess that came about from the KFT debacle.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

I take it you ignored the part where they mentioned that they're working on other promotions for those outside of the U.S.? You also realize that part of the issue is because of the stupidity of EU? Yes, I said the stupidity of the EU, because of their draconian measures it restricts how businesses can promote themselves, to many regulations and laws telling individuals how to live and/or raise their children(it's not the governments job to tell me how to raise my children, that is my responsibility alone).

cry me a river.

After the kung fu tea disaster, they could have done that. They didn't.

This is not about 'the EU'. Because, guess what, Canadians can't participate either. Or South Africans. Or Indians.

So that is 2x outfit for US/NA 0x outfit for everybody else.

Looks good, doesn't it?

Can you get Alienware or Dell products in those countries?

yes

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

You wanna live in a country where there is rule of law then sorry to say your responsibility is to raise your children within the framework of those laws.. otherwise the choice is simple go someplace where those laws don't apply and you can do as you please.. same goes for business. Then again I am sure those businesses have all done their homework and have a better understanding of what they can and can't do under law than you perhaps.Many of us dislike the way EU players have been repeatedly treated of late, but laws are laws.. without them I would hazard a guess the world has the potential to be in an even more messed up state than it already is.I for one don't want to live in a nanny state, but neither do I want free rule and lawless society so we either live under the law or we go someplace where it doesn't apply and live happily ever after... make your choice.

BTW.. I too want that outfit, but I also prefer to not have my personal data etc passed around freely to get it... perhaps that has something to do with why there are limits on how this promotion can be pushed out to the GW2 community. I would rather ANET/Alienware be upfront about the exclusions so we don't get into the same mess that came about from the KFT debacle.

Being upfront about the exclusions would have been helpful to those not able to enter that particular promotion, or how about instead of promoting it worldwide, just announce it where it is available(probably easier said than done, but I'm sure there's a way). It wouldn't have been to hard to say available to US only, but prominently point out that they are working on promotions for other areas of the world.

You seem to be missing the point here, yes, there are laws, but there shouldn't be laws telling me how to raise my children...which some of those EU(and others, not just to point out the EU) laws are directed at, raising your children within existing laws is fine, but specifically telling me how and what I can do to raise my child is not. The only person that knows how to raise their child is that child's parent(except in cases where the parents have no clue on how to raise a child, in which case I agree with those that say we should have at lease parenting classes before people have children, then those people can take what they want from the class or raise the child how they see fit).

Would I have liked the outfit myself, yes, but not signing up had anything to do with me giving out my personal data, I do that plenty as it is, I just didn't want to register for another useless(to me) website that serves no purpose(as far as I could tell, at least a purpose that is needed), so I didn't bother, besides the fact I already gave my personal data to Dell/Alienware when I bought one and signed up for on-line payments.

As for the data issue, I don't care, I'm pretty sure my personal data is already on the dark web, and it doesn't do anyone any good, because I'm pretty much a nobody, my personal data isn't worth the paper it's written on, let alone the kilobytes it takes up...it's actually worthless.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Being upfront about the exclusions would have been helpful to those not able to enter that particular promotion, or how about instead of promoting it worldwide, just announce it where it is available(probably easier said than done, but I'm sure there's a way). It wouldn't have been to hard to say available to US only, but prominently point out that they are working on promotions for other areas of the world.

You seem to be missing the point here, yes, there are laws, but there shouldn't be laws telling me how to raise my children...which some of those EU(and others, not just to point out the EU) laws are directed at, raising your children within existing laws is fine, but specifically telling me how and what I can do to raise my child is not. The only person that knows how to raise their child is that child's parent(except in cases where the parents have no clue on how to raise a child, in which case I agree with those that say we should have at lease parenting classes before people have children, then those people can take what they want from the class or raise the child how they see fit).

Would I have liked the outfit myself, yes, but not signing up had anything to do with me giving out my personal data, I do that plenty as it is, I just didn't want to register for another useless(to me) website that serves no purpose(as far as I could tell, at least a purpose that is needed), so I didn't bother, besides the fact I already gave my personal data to Dell/Alienware when I bought one and signed up for on-line payments.

As for the data issue, I don't care, I'm pretty sure my personal data is already on the dark web, and it doesn't do anyone any good, because I'm pretty much a nobody, my personal data isn't worth the paper it's written on, let alone the kilobytes it takes up...it's actually worthless.

Making this all about you doesn't change the facts.. but that said I think you do not understand the law enough or don't respect it, which allows for the potential to pass on bad habits, bad teachings, which is just another reason many laws exist .. FACT - You raise your children within the framework of the laws of the land you live in.If the law states they cant smoke until their 16, don't let them or teach them, if the law says they can't drink until their 18 don't let them.. and if the law dictates they are too young to gamble.. be responsible and don't let them gamble.It is because of parents not be responsible enough or not caring enough to bother or maybe just not knowing what is going on that problems like underage gambling exist, which is why countries have laws and why companies could and should act responsibly when engaging with young players to use/play their products.... it's a 3-way system and all 3 parts matter because if one part fails the other parts fall down as well.

Back on point.. this time round ANET/Alienware did promote the product as US only unlike the amateurish roll out of the KFT debacle... so we should be thankful for that at least, otherwise more personal details could of been floating around the digital ether in the messy way it was handled previous. But again this is not about you or your data.. you do not speak for all, but there are laws to be upheld whether we like it or not no matter how much anyone values their personal details, though I do find your attitude to this a little strange but each to their own I guess.

@wulfheart.8206 said:

@wulfheart.8206 said:It's obvious that people just want a chance to get the Dragon Emblem outfit and don't really care much for the other prizes, even the cash prizes, so I'm wondering why ANet won't just have an event where EVERYONE can have the opportunity to earn the outfit regardless of what region they're from.

International Laws. That's why. To make it available to everyone they would literally have to design a contest that abides all known (and unknown) countries and their laws. Good luck with that.

Edit: And if it is worldwide, you know how abysmal those odds would be? Far worse than the original Halloween skin giveaways (back before the destruction of LA). To want that is almost as bad as having them removed because of a 'if you can't have them, no one will' mentality.

Then why not give everyone the opportunity to just earn the outfit in another way which doesn't have to be a contest with odds? Something where just simply joining will net the outfit. This is the second time people have been upset about the outfit being only available to players in the US.

Without odds? So you mean, giving it away to everyone for nothing at all? You aren't entitled to anything.