Can my cute Necro have faster-paced action combat?

Swagger.1459

Yes, “Guild Wars 2 is an online role-playing game with fast-paced action combat”, but Necro slow. Slow not fun. Slow make sad ?

Yes, “Experience high-impact, fast-paced combat and choose from an arsenal of professions, weapons, and playstyles.”, but greatsword not great, it mehsword ?

Yes, “We’re putting the fun back in fantasy combat—come join us on the battlefield!”, but you know in WvW battlefield when everybody blob around so fast and sneaky Thief and really mean Charr Mesmers can do jump around all over magics and run away fast while /lol make fun of slow and no moving magics Necro? Yeah... Sad Necro again ?

Some may say I hyperboiled, but some need try solo roam on Necro and try tell me with honest heart not be sad anymore cause Necro has other tools so slow move and slow mehlee is still ok... ?

See cool movie below for “putting the fun back in fantasy combat" ideas for us neglected Necros who want equality!

Please make advertised words true for Necro too so no ? anymore.

Editing- Look at cool n fast awesomesword on mean Mesmer! Then as self why reaper sword need be not cool n slow? See, no equality balance in action!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fgas5wy7i9w

In other news:

• "Stainless Steel" isn't actually stainless (it's stain-resistant)
  • "Greenland" is icier than Iceland
  • "New York" isn't "new."
  • Tesla "Autopilot" doesn't actually automatically drive the car (and it certainly doesn't "pilot" it)

Advertising hype has always emphasized the positives while downplaying the reality.

Further, "fast-paced action combat" doesn't mean that all profs are equally aggressive. Necro combat isn't "slow;" it's just not as fast, and that's because necros have other tools to compensate.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:In other news:

• Tesla "Autopilot" doesn't actually automatically drive the car (and it certainly doesn't "pilot" it)

Advertising hype has always emphasized the positives while downplaying the reality.

Further, "fast-paced action combat" doesn't mean that all profs are equally aggressive. Necro combat isn't "slow;" it's just not as fast, and that's because necros have other tools to compensate.

So I have 2 options...

1- Tell players the reality is to not play necro if they want "fast-paced action combat" in GW2 because Anet only uses "advertising hype".

or

2- Make a post that highlights certain things about necro that aren't fun compared to some other profession designs in GW2, along with an example of what a "fast-paced action combat" "reaper" design looks like from another game for comparison purposes.

I choose to continue the option 2 route in hopes that maybe some improvements could be made.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:In other news:

So I have 2 options...

1- Tell players the reality is to not play necro if they want "fast-paced action combat" in GW2 because Anet only uses "advertising hype".

or

2- Make a post that highlights certain things about necro that aren't fun compared to some other profession designs in GW2, along with an example of what a "fast-paced action combat" "reaper" design looks like from another game for comparison purposes.

I choose to continue the option 2 route in hopes that maybe some improvements could be made.

You have a third option which is not to engage in hyperbole to ask for reconsideration of a major game balance decision. Necros still engage in fast, action-oriented combat compared to other games, even if it's not as fast as other profs in this game (or as necro in other games). As it stands, this looks more like a criticism of ANet's phrasing, rather than an attempt to look at what's fun (or not) about necro in the context of the actual game.

In other words, why not stick to describing the actual issue(s) you see?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:In other news:

So I have 2 options...

or

You have a third option which is not to engage in hyperbole to ask for reconsideration of a major game balance decision. Necros still engage in fast, action-oriented combat
compared to other games
, even if it's not as fast as other profs in this game (or as necro in other games). As it stands, this looks more like a criticism of ANet's phrasing, rather than an attempt to look at what's fun (or not) about necro
in the context of the actual game

I have described actual issues, and offered suggestions, outside of this thread. This post highlights some issues differently. And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to bring up things that can help nudge necro more to the “fast-paced action combat” side.

@Swagger.1459 said:

So I have 2 options...

or

You have a third option which is not to engage in hyperbole to ask for reconsideration of a major game balance decision. Necros still engage in fast, action-oriented combat
compared to other games
, even if it's not as fast as other profs in this game (or as necro in other games). As it stands, this looks more like a criticism of ANet's phrasing, rather than an attempt to look at what's fun (or not) about necro

I have described actual issues, and offered suggestions, outside of this thread. This post highlights some issues differently. And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to bring up things that can help nudge necro more to the “fast-paced action combat” side.

There´s a problem tho, first the devs actually want necro to be slow, so it´s sole intention is to be a slowly moving threat, which obviously never has been fully fleshed out for whatever reason. Secondly, making necro faster would require and entire redesign of the class as a whole, including both specializations which is highly unlikely to happen ever. Another problem is that gw2´s combat-system isn´t that fast to begin with and what exactly makes gw2´s combat fast-paced hasn´t been established really .

Overall, it´s a waste of your breath to even try to give advice about how to make necro faster, or rather more fast-paced. Previous patches have already shown that anet doesn´t really have an actual idea of how to give a class a character, whilst also taking gameplay into account. Reaper is the prove for that.

But don´t mind me, you can keep trying.

They could rework core necro to be "Faster" with more of a hard caster like feel to it. Perhaps work in more bone skills into their weapons (Staff, axe and even maybe dagger.) * Rework dagger to be faster; Give it a teleport of some sort. Make it medium range like the axe and let the necromancer be completely based around long to medium range combat. Rework the dagger to have better skills as right now main-hand dagger sucks so bad.

1. "Bitter strike"=====>"Fangs of Death"====>"Sacrificial Marking". The first two are basic projectiles that hurl energy slashes at the foe; The final is a small class specific DoT that makes bleeding and dagger skills more effective against them for a short time.
  2. "Witness Darkness": Send forth a shadowy mist to an enemy; If struck the enemy will be held in place and done constant ticks of damage for the duration, upon expiring the skill will place "Marked for Sacrifice" Similar to sacrificial marking on the enemy which makes sacrifice more powerful.
  3. "Sacrifice" : you use your dark powers to offer up your foe for sacrifice; If the enemy is struck they are given tons of condition damage depending on the boons they have. As well a sizable burst based on how LOW their health is. If the foe is below ten percent this skill has a chance to summon a spectral wraith; Who then will follow the target and heal the caster for all damage done to them within the next ten or so seconds.
  • Rework staff to be more thematic as right now it feels meh; It's still passable as a weapon and works for what it is intended to be used for. But it does not really mesh well with the current game as it has changed alot.
    1. Bone Spear, Shoot bone spears at your enemy causing bleeding and vulnerability. The bone spears hover around you as long as there is a staff in your hand; And yes they should change based on the legendary you are using.
    2. "Lament" : Send two corpses (Zombies, Skeletons, Something as we have alot of undead models we could use now.) Whom rush a foe and explode on contact applying vulnerability and cripple, upon the second use once the skill is used these corpses explode and cause AOE burst with tons of condis.
    3. "Onto Darkness" Become one with shadow and vanish into the ground, (Could use the soul beast leap back animation from the Devourer's) And slither through the earth to erupt under and enemy and knock them prone. This skill causes weakness, and fears the enemy as death looms before them.
    4. "Call of the grave" You let loose a bone curdling howl as your true nature maifests; Causing torment, fear and weakness as your enemy cowars before you. Any ally near you gets a dark aura.
    5. "Requiem" You call forth the powers of malignant darkness and bombard your foe with shadow visages of their own demise; This swirling mass of black hatred swirls around you and blinds enemies as it does constant damage. Upon expiring it then explodes into a dark nova and applies torment, bleed, burning and vulnerability as the last remnants of your power vacate sight for the moment.

Then rework death magic to be... better? As on it's own it kind of sucks and really does not bring much to the table; Our minions suck now and they need a rework and or overhaul as well. This trait and utility tree being reworked could work really well with a revamped staff, perhaps even placing staff within the death magic tree as its region of choice as it seems more based around death magic with this rework. Dagger being in Blood magic as it is doesn't feel right as it really has little to do with the theme, making it a weapon that benefits from bleeding with a medium range and a sacrificial skill that offers benefits to the caster fixes this problem.

1. Offer traits in death magic that if proceed will summon additional minions.
  2. Make minions beneficial with some form of interesting gameplay; Perhaps make them a limited time summon that do specific actions and can't be killed once activated unless the caster dies. Have them stay for a set time and offer their unique skills as a benefit not a deterrent.
  3. Change the heal minion to be a specter who follows the caster and constantly steals health from the enemy and gives it to the caster; As well allies of the caster and boost its heals based on soul-reaping.
  4. Change flesh golem to be more horrific and something you don't want to allow the necromancer to summon.
  5. Add minions to the minion spells and give them more numbers since they are limited; Make each one good for different playstyles, for example bone horrors are good for sending in as expendable running bombs who explode on contact and provide good condition damage. Shadow horrors perhaps are good to send in on targets to cause blindness and prolong an encounter. Flesh wurms are good for being up on walls, and offer good long ranged support with putrid attacks at enemies making it good for when you're in a position to have range.
  6. Opens the door for a curses/hex based elite spec so we can have our curse-mancer from guild wars one, that could also bring in the ritualist spirits. (For example Pain) Or those spirits could be rolled into the necromancer; As one of the minion spells. (Example : Summon four or five random spirits from the spirit world, from a group of five who will fight for you. "Pain, Shadowsong, Destruction, Tranquility, Madness" Each one has its own benefit. Tranquility would heal, madness would cause confusion to the enemy and shadow song would blind.)

I think the reality here is 'faster' is subjective and a marketing term. Obviously there are going to be people that don't think it's fast enough and there are going to be people that think it's TOO fast.

The truth here is that marketing terms and copy are not reasons to change the game. GS isn't the fastest weapon ... nor does it have to be. If you just want to play fast, you have options EVEN as a necro.

@Obtena.7952 said:I think the reality here is 'faster' is subjective and a marketing term. Obviously there are going to be people that don't think it's fast enough and there are going to be people that think it's TOO fast.

The truth here is that marketing terms and copy are not reasons to change the game. GS isn't the fastest weapon ... nor does it have to be. If you just want to play fast, you have options EVEN as a necro.

What options? Already on reapers onslaught speed runes. Thats as fast as you get.

@XECOR.2814 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I think the reality here is 'faster' is subjective and a marketing term. Obviously there are going to be people that don't think it's fast enough and there are going to be people that think it's TOO fast.

What options? Already on reapers onslaught speed runes. Thats as fast as you get.

So we don't have weapons faster than GS? I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

So I have 2 options...

or

compared to other games

This. The description of reaper says it's slow and hard hitting. Also, fast paced combat refers to the action oriented theme, as opposed to the tab targetting system, with mindless button mashing that plagues the genre.

@Obtena.7952 said:

So we don't have weapons faster than GS? I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here.

Meh, all weapons are really slow. Mage!=slow. But its anet's game to ruin. Whatever.

@XECOR.2814 said:

Meh, all weapons are really slow. Mage!=slow. But its anet's game to ruin. Whatever.

What? How fast do you want weapons to work? I mean, we have execution speeds on the order of 1/4's of a second ... so I'm thinking

BIG ???? Like, fractions of a second isn't fast enough? You just want to blink and think something happened? Let's be realistic here ... the speeds that the weapons actions are pretty typical for an MMO ... most likely because it has something to do with the fundamentals of human physiology.

I think power reaper is slower than some melee classes, but not that slow. Necro is a hybrid warlock/warrior imo its what i always wanted my warlock to be. Not just a dot caster but a sword wielding lord of darkness. I compare it to an unholy death knight in its play, not as fast as a rogue, but not that slow either as a old school mage. I like it, if they want to make the swing timer faster on GS thats fine, but overall everything else feels fine.

@"Swagger.1459" said:Yes, “Guild Wars 2 is an online role-playing game with fast-paced action combat”, but Necro slow. Slow not fun. Slow make sad ?

Yes, “Experience high-impact, fast-paced combat and choose from an arsenal of professions, weapons, and playstyles.”, but greatsword not great, it mehsword ?

Yes, “We’re putting the fun back in fantasy combat—come join us on the battlefield!”, but you know in WvW battlefield when everybody blob around so fast and sneaky Thief and really mean Charr Mesmers can do jump around all over magics and run away fast while /lol make fun of slow and no moving magics Necro? Yeah... Sad Necro again ?

Some may say I hyperboiled, but some need try solo roam on Necro and try tell me with honest heart not be sad anymore cause Necro has other tools so slow move and slow mehlee is still ok... ?

See cool movie below for “putting the fun back in fantasy combat" ideas for us neglected Necros who want equality!

Please make advertised words true for Necro too so no ? anymore.

+1

I agree