no downstate week shows how depressing balance is

Balsa.3951

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:What no downstate does is turn the game from 1v5s into a series of 5 1v1s for example. Being able to single out one person and kill them is fantastic, because no longer can they simply push their number advantage on you. Downing somebody and having multiple people rush to either kitten on you or ress them is boring as heck, even though you could potentially play well enough to win it if they didn't.

Saying you should never be able to win that as a single person is just silly. Of course you should. If somebody only presses 1 and doesn't dodge roll are you supposed to just let him live because "oh well, numbers"? It brings an excitement back into the game that is missing whenever you run around just to get farmed by groups bigger than you. At least giving you the illusion of a fair chance goes a long way. If I fight against a Necro and know I have to blow my CC on him before he just outsustains or condi bombs me into a retreat I know that I will have 0 chance to survive against the other guy rushing in with his set of available skills.

so you prefer + 1 shot-toxicity as excitement over healthy competition which results in fun?

-would you prefer short-term excitement over long-term fun-?

(I'm sure you know far to well including myself that if the game balance was design around fun; there would be far lesser problems with balance as what we have here with short-term excitement resulting in endless repetitive problems in result, continually rewarding toxicity instead of punishing it)

Healthy competition ?Downed state only benefits whoever has more numbers.A squad with skilled players cant win against mindless blobs because of this mechanic along with rally.If by "competition" you mean quantity > quality you're 100% correct

A better smaller squad does beat a mindless blob even with downstate. The only time the smaller group loses is if they mess up, or aren't much better than the larger group, in which case, no down state doesn't even change the outcome.

Throughout the week I rarely died, and I still prefer downstate. I don't enjoy being forced into a dull 1 shot build.

It does change the outcome and it works in the same way a 3v1 works for exampleLets say in a 3v1 scenario a player puts 1 player in downed state, the other 2 will ress the downed no matter what you do unless the skill gap is too high and people don't know how to press FIt's exactly the same thing if you transfer it on a larger scale, the smaller group will have to work harder to overcome the larger group and even harder to kill the downedsThe smaller group only will only prevail if they skill gap is high enough.It's punishes people who are better at the game and incentivizes the monoblob skill lag meta

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

@Balsa.3951 said:burst builds showing even more how depressing balance is atm

You get bursted down because you are effectively running glass. The trade-off, you can also burst others down. What I'm finding with this event though is we have people jumping on classes they don't know how to play trying to cash in on cheesy gank style mechanics. It doesn't really work. The reality is, most people run enough toughness, and have enough boons and barriers thrown at them that your bust attack won't even shed 10% of their hp. That is the cold hard reality.

You will see people admitting in all these no down-state threads they are playing classes they never really played before or aren't too familiar with. So if someone is playing a class they don't know how to play.. why are they playing glassy? Because they are trying to cash in; that's they're own problem if they don't know how to play the classes properly to avoid getting bursted down.

Maurauder is not glass ppl need stop making assumption about skill and gear levels.It’s a offensive gear but it has vitality also I’m guardian since 2012 with legendary pvp title in my history not saying that this was super hard to get at some point but I invest time in my class.

@"Balsa.3951" said:Maurauder is not glass ppl need stop making assumption about skill and gear levels.Marauder is still glassy.

But here's the thing - burst builds can still cut through full bunker builds like butter. So I disagree with his point that "only glass gets bursted". But I also disagree that they are a major problem as such. They are strong in +1 surprise attacks and very dangerous in the hands of skilled people, but they can still be decently matched by sustains and in turn they are weak against +1 as soon as they do get matched (even if matched merely mean surviving the burst).

Running my condi scrapper, sustain boonbeasts are generally more difficult and liable to kill me than the average marauder/zerker soulbeast that I can kill in seconds if they "forgot" cleanse because they're frontloaded for damage. And yes, marauder is still glass against me. You only burn for a second or so longer. The way things work is fairly obvious so shouldnt surprise anyone.

@Balsa.3951 said:

Maurauder is not glass ppl need stop making assumption about skill and gear levels.It’s a offensive gear but it has vitality also I’m guardian since 2012 with legendary pvp title in my history not saying that this was super hard to get at some point but I invest time in my class.

A lot of people invested time in GuardianThen we moved on when it wasn't a good choice any more.Others started raging at the world for their own stubbornness..

DH has been a bad idea since PoF launched, accept it. Nothing will get fixed until usage plummets.

@steki.1478 said:

@steki.1478 said:1200+ range oneshots or 15 seconds of damage immunity, both with 3+ mobility skills and usually with stealth.

Please tell me what build can have all this, and i mean exactly all this.

There's a little "or" in there, but spellbreaker soulbeast and mirage have those. Deadeye gets a honorable mention.

I mean really just mirage, after mounts i stopped complaining about them because mounts are a bigger problem, but besides mirage? No.

@steki.1478 said:All 3 can do what I described.

What blink does ranger have.

@Liah.8324 said:I duuno. Not really for/against it. It'll be addressed at some point I'd imagine.

Had an awesome fight with a leather-clad psychopath earlier today - Myself (went firebrandy-burny-ish; never played it before!), and a reaper, who usually smokes everything they touch......went at it against one INCREDIBLE guy (indomitable legend)...and that battle was darn near 5 minutes straight. Between the stealth, heals, taunts, terrain use.....and my own pure stupidity....it was a freakin' workout to make him disappear. I think he only was on the bow a few times as well - no runnin' away, lame-kitten tricks, or anything......an absolute beast. Props to whoever that was! THAT, is how a hunter is meant to be played. Not this garbage-y long-range BS that's some cruel joke to everyone under 3600 armor. It was the first time I was truly impressed by a ranger, and that guy deserves every letter of the title. The rest of 'em though? Meh. Boring.

I have met someone like that too last week. He wasnt even using lb at all but hr played so well that made me realize what a ranger can do. And I have played ranger before HoT release, and was very confident with it. The skill timing, evades and blocks, invis and never allowing to disengage was so good. That soulbeast is what it should be in my opinion. But unblockable pewpew is just meh.If builds like that are nerfed, than this game can be improved.I never cared about no downstate or downstate as I play roamer and mostly outnumbered. Although I love using downed opponents as bait they can remove the friggin thing as far as I care. But some builds and skills need to be adjusted.

Ps: I play dh so my sufferring is eternal :(

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

@Balsa.3951 said:burst builds showing even more how depressing balance is atm

You get bursted down because you are effectively running glass. The trade-off, you can also burst others down. What I'm finding with this event though is we have people jumping on classes they don't know how to play trying to cash in on cheesy gank style mechanics. It doesn't really work. The reality is, most people run enough toughness, and have enough boons and barriers thrown at them that your bust attack won't even shed 10% of their hp. That is the cold hard reality.

You will see people admitting in all these no down-state threads they are playing classes they never really played before or aren't too familiar with. So if someone is playing a class they don't know how to play.. why are they playing glassy? Because they are trying to cash in; that's they're own problem if they don't know how to play the classes properly to avoid getting bursted down.

This is the ONLY post that matters.

You won't get one shot if you're running a sensible amount of toughness, not to mention boons from other players, your own CDs, ability to dodge.

If you go glass, well, guess what happens if you drop glass? It shatters, in one shot.

You weren't good enough to play glass, you weren't fast enough, you weren't ontop of your game and its probably time to go full Nomad.

@Anput.4620 said:

@steki.1478 said:1200+ range oneshots or 15 seconds of damage immunity, both with 3+ mobility skills and usually with stealth.

Please tell me what build can have all this, and i mean exactly all this.

There's a little "or" in there, but spellbreaker soulbeast and mirage have those. Deadeye gets a honorable mention.

I mean really just mirage, after mounts i stopped complaining about them because mounts are a bigger problem, but besides mirage? No.

@steki.1478 said:All 3 can do what I described.

What blink does ranger have.

Where did I mention blinks? They have 2 1k range leaps on 10 sec cooldown...

@zengara.8301 said:

@"Balsa.3951" said:burst builds showing even more how depressing balance is atm

I am an Elementalist that use both roaming build (x2) and obviously a blob build. When I am in my roaming build, I usually can take a thief and a SB down if 2v1 unless ifthey 3/4/v1 me with the "pewpew".

Oh? Then they aren't very good.

@Mil.3562 said:It is depressing. I guess this is why quite a number of my guildlies, myself included, have stayed out of WvW till this lame event is over. The bonus xp thingy is nothing if the game is more frustrating than fun.

I am in three lvl 69 guilds and those members that i used to see (from guild panel) playing wvw are either offline or in pve, doing fractals mostly. Not all but many.

Well done ANet for trying to bring more players into WvW by adding mount and then nerf it to the ground. And, also by nerfing the defence mechanic and having more power creep coupled with no down state. Keep it up! :D

You strike me as someone who is afraid to not be surrounded by 80 people