WvW feels boring after No Downstate Week

Lonecap.4105

Just putting it out there. I had a blast last week with friends, literally 5 of us could take apart 20-25 players without them power rezzing (and by the way, not a single one of us was on Soulbeast during this event). The people who were using good spatial awareness and who were quick to react dominated the players who weren't so good with awareness and reaction time. That's how it should be.

Now this week, it's back to a numbers game, and the people who die constantly can enjoy their handicap.

Personally, I'm strugging to enjoy WvW again after experiencing the fun of No Downstate, and seeing how fun and intense WvW can be.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally enjoy getting rezzed after being killed from stealth on my glass cannon build and then carry the fight afterwards. I guess each to their own.

Not everyone enjoys ganking just like not everyone enjoys zerging.

@steki.1478 said:I personally enjoy getting rezzed after being killed from stealth on my glass cannon build and then carry the fight afterwards. I guess each to their own.

I told you I fought 25 people with 5 of my friends... why are you calling me a ganker?

Why did you get killed from stealth? Were you off-position? I was playing Warrior this week, and my friends were on Rev and Guard. I enjoy roaming and blob fights, by the way.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@steki.1478 said:I personally enjoy getting rezzed after being killed from stealth on my glass cannon build and then carry the fight afterwards. I guess each to their own.

I told you I fought 25 people with 5 of my friends... why are you calling me a ganker?

Why did you get killed from stealth? Were you off-position? I was playing Warrior this week, and my friends were on Rev and Guard. I enjoy roaming and blob fights, by the way.

Because powercreep is a thing, lag is a thing, but so is controlling allied and enemy down states. Fights end too soon without downstate when you have same numbers and I see no reason for wvw to be balanced around outnumbered fights.

@steki.1478 said:

Because powercreep is a thing, lag is a thing, but so is controlling allied and enemy down states. Fights end too soon without downstate when you have same numbers and I see no reason for wvw to be balanced around outnumbered fights.

They ended too soon without downstate in a fight with even numbers?

No, your server got outclassed and outplayed.

Why didn't the other server die? It's not because of no downstate, that's for sure.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Just putting it out there. I had a blast last week with friends, literally 5 of us could take apart 20-25 players without them power rezzing (and by the way, not a single one of us was on Soulbeast during this event). The people who were using good spatial awareness and who were quick to react dominated the players who weren't so good with awareness and reaction time. That's how it should be.

Now this week, it's back to a numbers game, and the people who die constantly can enjoy their handicap.

Personally, I'm strugging to enjoy WvW again after experiencing the fun of No Downstate, and seeing how fun and intense WvW can be.

Honestly if you and your 5 friends are only effective during downstate week, then it’s you who’s getting carried, not the other way around.

If you really were good enough, you’d be able to fight your 5v20 with the downstate.

No downstate week was so boring I basically didn’t play...because everyone is to scared to engage each other for fear of dying instantly from some rando-one shot scrub.

Why didn't the other server die? It's not because of no downstate, that's for sure.

I never stated that my server was the one dying, but 10 second 1-pushes arent fun on any side to be honest.

Just because you play a class that has 15 second chained damage immunity, doesn't mean that every other class can survive that easily. If classes were more balanced with their damage output, durability and support among each other maybe we won't need the downstate, but until then it's a core part of gw2.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Just putting it out there. I had a blast last week with friends, literally 5 of us could take apart 20-25 players without them power rezzing (and by the way, not a single one of us was on Soulbeast during this event). The people who were using good spatial awareness and who were quick to react dominated the players who weren't so good with awareness and reaction time. That's how it should be.

Honestly if you and your 5 friends are only effective during downstate week, then it’s you who’s getting carried, not the other way around.

If you really were good enough, you’d be able to fight your 5v20 with the downstate.

No downstate week was so boring I basically didn’t play...because everyone is to scared to engage each other for fear of dying instantly from some rando-one shot scrub.

Who said we're only effective during No Downstate? And nah, it's really difficult to overcome 20-25 man sustain when combined with huge downstate hp bars. You can down the enemy, but it's all too easy to power rez with that many people. Honestly saying we're the ones who got carried when we killed 25 guys with 5 people is just sad.

Anyway, I saw a lot of people having fights during no downstate, the only people who seemed scared to me were those who kneejerked and didn't log on during the event.

@steki.1478 said:

I never stated that my server was the one dying, but 10 second 1-pushes arent fun on any side to be honest.

Just because you play a class that has 15 second chained damage immunity, doesn't mean that every other class can survive that easily. If classes were more balanced with their damage output, durability and support among each other maybe we won't need the downstate, but until then it's a core part of gw2.

Why did you get one-pushed in 10 seconds?

And I wasn't playing Spellbreaker (I was playing Berserker), and I was running only Balanced Stance - not active or passive Endure, and not Defiant Stance. So no - and I DID die sometimes, when I made bad plays, overextended, greeded my damage, things like this.

killing 25 people means nothing

they could be new, they could be pve players doing "capture camp daily" or they could use zerg builds, hence why they are with 25not a single zerg build will win vs any roamer build, that's not what the zerg build is designed for

if i have to count every herald that i killed in just a matter of seconds because he was using a hammer backliner build trying to rejoin tag...well i'd be busy for a whilesame with scourgessame with staff weavers

pretty easy to 1vs x those

@"melandru.3876" said:killing 25 people means nothing

they could be new, they could be pve players doing "capture camp daily" or they could use zerg builds, hence why they are with 25not a single zerg build will win vs any roamer build, that's not what the zerg build is designed for

if i have to count every herald that i killed in just a matter of seconds because he was using a hammer backliner build trying to rejoin tag...well i'd be busy for a whilesame with scourgessame with staff weavers

So you've never killed a blob with a commander with some strong roamers who know how to max range 360 cloud? 25 people should never get killed by 5. And this happened a few times where I took apart larger groups. Sorry that not everyone I fight or kill is at the top of their game? Sure some of them could have been PvE players... so? What am I supposed to do? You don't choose enemies if it's a blob.

@"melandru.3876" said:killing 25 people means nothing

So you've never killed a blob with a commander with some strong roamers who know how to max range 360 cloud? 25 people should never get killed by 5. And this happened a few times where I took apart larger groups. Sorry that not everyone I fight or kill is at the top of their game? Sure some of them could have been PvE players... so? What am I supposed to do? You don't choose enemies if it's a blob.

you play berserker, all you have to do is run in a zerg use arc divider twice and you killed 10 peopledon't tell me that's not the case, as it is exactly what i have been doing the last weekonly my survival chances where minimal,

imagine if i had 4 friends with me and 1 guy was a support class

superior sigil of vision, use warclaw jump, it will put you in combat (and activate sigil of vision) then the following pro-skilled burstit takes immense skill to press 6 skills (signet of might, headbutt, berserk, arc divider, blood reckoning, arc divider. congratz you killed 10 people

all that, with full valkyry stats because we don't need precision for this one-trick pony build

you want to tell me, that is hard to do? most zerg builds have 0 self sustain, because they have other classes doing the support

@spectrito.8513 said:Unfortunately people wants to WvW to be balanced around who has more numbers instead of who is better at the game.The game keeps getting dumber and easier, everything hits like a truck by mindlessly pushing buttons.Mediocrity is the name of the game.

That's how wvw always worked though, how is it getting dumber if nothing changed? People who coordinate those bombs instead of randomly pressing buttons will always win so I don't see how that's an issue.

You can win outnumbered fights with or without downstate, but I don't see a reason why 10 people should win vs 50 unless they are afk.

Why did you get one-pushed in 10 seconds?

And I wasn't playing Spellbreaker (I was playing Berserker), and I was running only Balanced Stance - not active or passive Endure, and not Defiant Stance. So no - and I DID die sometimes, when I made bad plays, overextended, greeded my damage, things like this.

Enemy stealths/portal bombs from far away>half squad dies due to burst/lag or you just get swarmed by siege or freecasters inside objective or something else. There's plenty of ways to get advantage, but with downstate you can easily win even if you're in worse position because enemy has no cooldowns and you do, you just need to control downs better than enemy can cleave them. Not every fight happens in open field where you can pirateship 24/7.

Why didn't you cleave downeds and the ones rezzing them? Warrior and especially zerker has great tools for that.

@melandru.3876 said:

@melandru.3876 said:killing 25 people means nothing

you play berserker, all you have to do is run in a zerg use arc divider twice and you killed 10 peopledon't tell me that's not the case, as it is exactly what i have been doing the last weekonly my survival chances where minimal,

superior sigil of vision, use warclaw jump, it will put you in combat (and activate sigil of vision) then the following pro-skilled burstit takes immense skill to press 6 skills (signet of might, headbutt, berserk, arc divider, blood reckoning, arc divider. congratz you killed 10 people

all that, with full valkyry stats because we don't need precision for this one-trick pony build

you want to tell me, that is hard to do? most zerg builds have 0 self sustain, because they have other classes doing the support

I was running Berserker prior to the patch, and no I'm not running one-trick Arc, even though I do have GS and I have used Arc (why would I not use it?). Anyway, a semi-decent player won't get deleted so easily by Arc Divider. I'm not going to argue with you about my gameplay, fact is you have no idea what I'm capable of in this game.

It's not like Arc isn't 0 risk. You have to go inside of the enemy to use it, you can be CC'd, Berserker is squishiest Warrior spec with least room for defensive utility, etc. You could criticize all builds for "just pressing these buttons". It's about WHERE and WHEN you use them, that makes the difference.

@"steki.1478" said:I personally enjoy getting rezzed after being killed from stealth on my glass cannon build and then carry the fight afterwards. I guess each to their own.

Because it's the default defense from those who often ARE the gankers but don't understand it. Ganking, by definition is greatly outnumbering someone to kill them, often due to lack of skill. Roamers are often the ones targeted the most by gankers as it's the only way they will often ever kill a roamer.

As a roamer, and as someone who has spent lots of time in zergs and fight guilds, I get chased all the time by 10+ that will pull off from a zerg to chase me half way across the map. When I run in zergs I see these same groups pull off from tag to chase 1-2 roamers, all the while the tag in coms is telling them not to squirrel off, however these people are often never in voice coms, so it does little to help. And when running with a fight guild, they are the ones we bait off from tag to lessen the numbers as gankers tend to have the least discipline and are not aware enough that their 40+ blob is not behind them and it's only 10-15 pushing our 10-15 fight guild.

They also like to say ridiculous things like "if you were actually good, you could win that fight even with downed state". Which isn't even logical, they also ignore how aoe caps work and how after a given number ratio the smaller teams dmg is so spread out that it becomes near impossible to do anything to the group, you have to focus targets while getting aoe bombed which has the reverse effect on the smaller group where almost everyone is getting hit with the dmg from 25+ players. Add into that you have to face tank their bomb on the down to try and cleave or stomp, which is a death sentence for the smaller team in most cases, as you either have to try and dps the down and hope you somehow can out dmg the rezz or try and stomp, which in most cases is to slow and they will be up before you can finish.

However lower skilled players who have no motivation to improve do not care, they just want to win or get loot, the more carry mechanics to them, the better. And anything that gets in the way of that is broken or labeled "ganking".

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:There's a certain group composite that can take on a greater number of pugs and live forever esp if you spec to compliment and are in discord and hump each other. I'm guessing your group was something like scrapper scourge fb ele and you. I'm not 100 percent sure on the composite but it's pretty kitten broken. Nvm i missed where you said part of the group was rev and guard. Haven't seen how effective that is 1st hand.

Unkillable by even numbered unorginized players, maybe. What you are suggesting is that people who give no thought into their builds with no organization or fighting skill should be able to kill anyone else......Because.

Also, I thought it was 1-shot builds for no downedstate events? Now it's unkillable groups? I think what you are looking for is skilled groups, those who know how to land DPS, who know how to survive and work in a team, who are in coms, who put effort into builds and who put time into learning and getting better.

Who said we're only effective during No Downstate? And nah, it's really difficult to overcome 20-25 man sustain when combined with huge downstate hp bars. You can down the enemy, but it's all too easy to power rez with that many people. Honestly saying we're the ones who got carried when we killed 25 guys with 5 people is just sad

When i see downstates, i get excited because i can begin the cleave fest, which normally ends with me having more bags and killing more people...Downstate is a dynamic that can actually help you control a 1vX fight. In scenario's where there are large numbers of players, it's actually even more of a scenario in which you can control a fight because you can inflict more damage to players that try to ball onto a downstate, and you eventually do more for your own squad/party by granting pressure than you did just cappoing the downstate. These dynamics are really not too complicated to understand so, if you know about this you shouldn't have any issue with the downstate mechanic.

Anyway, I saw a lot of people having fights during no downstate, the only people who seemed scared to me were those who kneejerked and didn't log on during the event.

Shoud just rename it to "No dueling week." because whoever loses get's instantly Cappoed and sent all the way back to spawn... so much fun.

And ya, people are scared to engage anything that is not an even fight during N-DW... If you are an aggressive pusher (like me) you'll always find your teammates a thousand feet away auto-ing with a long or shortbow, instead of actually engaging in the fight...I'm usto it, since most people contribute nothing to a fight other than rally food anyway, but i'd rather prefer that over a 1 hour squirreling match.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Who said we're only effective during No Downstate? And nah, it's really difficult to overcome 20-25 man sustain when combined with huge downstate hp bars. You can down the enemy, but it's all too easy to power rez with that many people. Honestly saying we're the ones who got carried when we killed 25 guys with 5 people is just sad

When i see downstates, i get excited because i can begin the cleave fest, which normally ends with me having more bags and killing more people...

So you like piggybacking off of other people's spikes, is what I'm getting from this, you enjoy cleaving helpless health sponges?

When i see downstates, i get excited because i can begin the cleave fest, which normally ends with me having more bags and killing more people...

So you like piggybacking off of other people's spikes, is what I'm getting from this, you enjoy cleaving helpless health sponges?

Like i said, it's a dynamic that you use to control a fight...

Also your assuming things that have no basis. You don't even know what class or build i play...and you don't know how good or bad of a player i am. What makes you think i piggyback off other people? How do you think i 1v1 or 1vX?

@melandru.3876 said:killing 25 people means nothing

I was running Berserker prior to the patch, and no I'm not running one-trick Arc, even though I do have GS and I have used Arc (why would I not use it?). Anyway, a semi-decent player won't get deleted so easily by Arc Divider. I'm not going to argue with you about my gameplay, fact is you have no idea what I'm capable of in this game.

It's not like Arc isn't 0 risk. You have to go inside of the enemy to use it, you can be CC'd, Berserker is squishiest Warrior spec with least room for defensive utility, etc. You could criticize all builds for "just pressing these buttons". It's about WHERE and WHEN you use them, that makes the difference.

i know exactly what you are capable off as i'm a warrior main myselfunless you have some super secret self made build that only you use, i know everythign else by heart

i escpecially lol'd at your "Anyway, a semi-decent player won't get deleted so easily by Arc Divider."

basically you tell everyone (but yourself) to git gud, and deal with the multihit burst that you can instra refresh. on full valkyry gear i do 10k per hit, to 5 men. they will need to burn both their dodges, and they will still get hit by atleast 2 waves (that are unblockable..signet of might) and are downed (insta finnished)

yea, doesn't work like that

So did each member of your 5 player party fight a seperate group of the 25 people? Or did all 5 of you focus burst one particular player at a time, driving home the fact that you, too, are using the numbers game you claim to have a problem with?

I'm okay with downstate in PvE where it actually belongs. When you're facing another group of players and you work hard with your guild to generate downs you get no satisfaction in knowing that the other team can simply bring people back to life.

I think downstate is an abused cheat mechanic and should be removed from both PvP and WvW. Or if not removed at least given a chance for it to occur like you'd be given a 20% chance on 0 hp to trigger it from happening.

Whether you like it or not, being proud of being in downstate or complaining that in going bursty 1 shot is the reason it's needed is a really dumb argument because you're no good to anyone including yourself if you're constantly getting the edge in down state. You may as well run the downstate trait for your class and run the downstate food, to which I would be completely embarrassed about since it shows you lack putting effort into making yourself a better player. I would honestly be ashamed of myself if I said I'm better than some guy I killed while in downstate.