Unblockable

Ok, it's time anet takes a look at one of the worst balanced abilities in the game. Soulbeast https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unstoppable_Union is a minor trait that gives them a 4s unblockable on a 10s cd if they go into beastmode then drop it. The issue is that unblockable doesn't only work on blocks, it also bypasses projectile destruction. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unblockable . This ability has no counter play other than dodge but good luck trying to dodge against a 4s 10s cd unblockable proc. Honestly what they should do is tie unblockable to only bypass block mechanics and allow projectile reflect and destruction to be a viable counter to it. This would keep the trait viable as it would still be able to get through blocks but wouldn't be a god tier proc like it is now. They'd still have an extremely low cd proc of it for melee attacks and range if the target doesn't have projectile reflect or destruction. In it's current state though, it bypasses dynamic defensive gameplay of too many skills and is way too powerful. Some classes don't have access to reflect so they are just getting eaten up by Soulbeast unblockable burst and it's not healthy for the game.

We had another discussion going on here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/75427/question-about-unblockable-going-through-more-than-just-blocks . From what I'm reading reflection should still work on unblockable but it was allowed to bypass destruction skills in the latest update https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/74356/game-update-notes-april-23-2019#latest . Skills that destroy missiles will now block missiles instead. This change affects the following skills:

Elementalist: Swirling WindsEngineer: Launch WallGuardian: Deflecting Shot, Refraction, Sanctuary, Shield of the Avenger, Zealot's DefenseMesmer: Illusionary WardenNecromancer: Corrosive Poison CloudRevenant: Inspiring Reinforcement (Underwater)Thief: Sniper's Cover, Smoke Screen, Concealed DefeatWarrior: Winds of Disenchantment

In it's current state it's a broken OP effect that had some counter play from projectile destruction that now has no counter play on any class that doesn't have reflection. I just want to know what the balance team was thinking when they made that update.

@"Mordayn.6198"

It isn't Unstoppable Union alone that is making it feel OP. It's when both of these are being used:

There are a couple solutions I've thought of. Either the unblockable on one of the two needs to go, or turn down the unblockable timer on both of them to 2s only.

Reduce the amount of abilities that can block / reflect projectiles and remove unblockable attacks from the game.

In a game with FB, long bow ranger without that trait is useless most of the time, something needs to be revised and it's not just the mechanics of non-blockable attacks.

Imo all unblockable effect durations should be converted to stacks like revenant, would still allow skilled rangers great utility but be wasted on a rapid fire. I don't particulary mind the Soulbeast iteration of it, the problem arises when it can be used to down someone despite spending dodges and with no counter. With say 4 stacks then you might eat the 1st second of damage but be able to negate some of it.

@Balsa.3951 said:Unblockables are a bad idea any way while guard uses blocks as active defense. I have no idea why active defense need a counter. That’s like make a attack which ignores dodges

Just play reaper for a few months to learn how to play with no active defences at all, and you'll play your guard without ever needing a block ever again!

@Balsa.3951 said:

@Balsa.3951 said:Unblockables are a bad idea any way while guard uses blocks as active defense. I have no idea why active defense need a counter. That’s like make a attack which ignores dodges

Line of Warding. Shocking aura.

Not sure what shocking aura does but line of warding as well sanctuary are hardly called attacks

Shocking Aura stuns any attacker that touches it.

Being DD Tempest for PvP its rather handy to upload 12s of that Aura to allies for the first mid fight..Also extremely useful against melee builds especially thief and war or used after being CCd because its instant cast and you can stun them while being stunned to stop thier burst follow up.

My opinion on unblockables is that it should penetrate block skills but not reflect skills... Or just remove reflect skills because whats the point to them at this stage.

@James.1065 said:

Just play reaper for a few months to learn how to play with no active defences at all, and you'll play your guard without ever needing a block ever again!

You mean 2 healthpools?

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Line of Warding. Shocking aura.

Not sure what shocking aura does but line of warding as well sanctuary are hardly called attacks

Shocking Aura stuns any attacker that touches it.

Being DD Tempest for PvP its rather handy to upload 12s of that Aura to allies for the first mid fight..Also extremely useful against melee builds especially thief and war or used after being CCd because its instant cast and you can stun them while being stunned to stop thier burst follow up.

My opinion on unblockables is that it should penetrate block skills but not reflect skills... Or just remove reflect skills because whats the point to them at this stage.

I agree stun is to much when it’s not extremely visual telegraphed

It's not just ranger. Unblockable is a horrible part of the balance arms race which is killing PvP. Unblockable was fine in limited quantities when it was purely for interrupts or had obvious setup. But when you can do 10k+ burst with unblockable with almost no tell or warning, it's gone too far.

All condi dmg are unblockable... So... Should we nerf all condi professions along with it.... No ... Coz survival mechanism for condi is either condi cleanse or staying away from red circles.... Same thing here... Dodge, Los, invul, evade spams, dmg reduction traits and skills, infuse light and similar stuff

Condi classes can do 10k burst too.... Condi has other effects in addition to damage

Condi has a counter on all classes though, it's called cleanse and conversion. The issue with Unblockable being able to bypass projectile destruction is that classes that don't have reflect as a counter to it have projectile destruction which is now useless because soulbeast has way too much uptime on unblockable. I've heard that argument before, you can't outdodge the amount of uptime that soulbeast has unblockable. Plain and simple soulbeast has way too much burst on way too low cooldown for unblockable. It is the most unbalanced thing in the game right now and making spvp suffer for it.

Ironically, it's guardian's pulls (greatsword 5, dragonhunter F1) that go through dodges if you landed the initial hit.