Playing shortbow Renegade feels extremely clunky, anyone else?

BuyBroughtWurst.2106

TL;DR: Renegade shortbow skill 4 Spiritcrush is not 360° and very buggy with camera positioning; all other classes' circular, ranged AoE skills are 360°.

Renegade is one of my favorite class/spec for PvE content, especially in hard contents like raids. However, a feature, which I have brought up with support and confirmed to be one, with the Renegade's shortbow skill 4, Spiritcrush, is preventing me from taking this fun elite spec into some contents like Qadim. In open world, Spiritcrush would not activate and give one of two red messages: "skill is out of range" or usually "no line of sight." The skill indicator will be red when aiming behind or to the sides of the Renegade and will only activate when the Renegade is facing the direction I am aiming and not from behind or to the sides. As stated by GM Lightybug: "As it currently stands, the Spiritcrush Renegade ability requires you to be facing your target in order to cast. Although the indication circles are green at times because you are technically in rage, you will still not able to cast the skill unless you are directly facing the direction. " This is extremely annoying as in certain bosses that moves around often like Zane, I would be spamming Spiritcrush but the skill will not activate.Clip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R-bcqJClX1eJuQ6u2Ffw7VnVXcV0JpQU

Bug that Anet support didn't address:Spiritcrush won't activate even when nothing is in the skill's path or my character's line of sight and when I'm on a flat surface, which leads to Qadim's battle. While on parts of the platform, the skill also refuses to activate with a "no line of sight" message. I was not aiming at an elevated part of the platform or anything behind me--doing so would usually give me a red skill indicator. Also, I am unable to use it on parts of the platform even when my mouse pointer is over the UI, which would normally aim and use the skill directly on top of the Renegade; the Spiritcrush skill indicator was green when hovering over the UI. On another note, I have asked others who play Renegade with shortbow in the Qadim encounter and they told me they don't experience the same issue I am having with the Spiritcrush's "no line of sight"(hmm, weird).Clip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19gjU7W24a-PaCNSpjifvqFg2jGmYBqOr

Comparison:When playing my Dragonhunter with longbow, the same issue doesn't appear with circular AoE skills similar to Spiritcrush like Dragonhunter longbow skills 4, Symbol of Energy, and 5, Hunter's Ward and Guardian scepter skill 2, Symbol of Punishment. When I am aiming/using those skills behind my Guardian's character, the skill indicator is green and my character turns and activates them as I cast them. It also works on terrains higher than the one my Guardian is standing on, and all of these skills works without any line of sight issues that prevents me from using them in the Qadim encounter. Unlike Guardian, Renegade Spiritcrush always have its range indicator turn red when I aim behind my character and does not activate nor does it turn my Renegade like when my Guardian is using similar weapon skills to Spiritcrush. Something to note is that the Legendary Demon Stance skill Unyielding Anguish is usable behind me, meaning that I can aim/use the skill behind the character and the skill indicator doesn't turn red.Clip for comparison: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qYhgFtxitrez3Gd7Suc6jQGQHzKpv-xD

Maybe if this post garners enough attention, Anet will fix Renegade!

@BuyBroughtWurst.2106 said:Renegade's shortbow skill 4, Spiritcrush, is preventing me from taking this fun elite spec into some contents like Qadim.

While I do agree that sb4 can be somewhat annoying, I don't get what about Qadim specifically is giving you woes? Despite its surface mechanics, Mememaster-Q is very much a stack on the boss/miniboss and straight-up dps fight--unless you're like trying to slub-kite as Ren? But doing that as condi on a class with few iframes seems doubly sketchy in the first place.

Personally, for me, I find the most guffaw at this skill's targeting during the soul suck on Dhuum, since after handling the boonstrip, I'll be way too close to risk turning around and facing him--especially if I'm the only one doing it.

But ya, sadly, this isn't going to change and they say it's intended targeting... There's one skill on every rev weapon (except hammer) that you have to actually be manually facing your target to (effectively) use, and casting it won't auto-face you at the target, I guess they want to keep that going? (sw4, axe5, staff5, mace3 off and on depending on the patch.) I dunno, it's not so bad in PvE, I get why the PvP crowd hates it tho--although honestly, this is not even close to the biggest thing holding back Ren in that game mode, haha.

@narcx.3570 said:

@BuyBroughtWurst.2106 said:Renegade's shortbow skill 4, Spiritcrush, is preventing me from taking this fun elite spec into some contents like Qadim.

While I do agree that sb4 can be somewhat annoying, I don't get what about Qadim specifically is giving you woes?

As mentioned in the bug section, the skill would often not activate on parts of the platform during the Qadim encounter. And as you know that condi Renegade is heavily rotation reliant as a single mistiming of skills can result energy not being used up, leading to a delayed legend swap and a massive dps drop. The whole rotation is either delayed or completely messed up. There’s no point in playing a dps that outputs subpar damage and counting on others to make up for your low numbers.

@BuyBroughtWurst.2106 said:

While I do agree that sb4 can be somewhat annoying, I don't get what about Qadim specifically is giving you woes?

As mentioned in the bug section, the skill would often not activate on parts of the platform during the Qadim encounter. And as you know that condi Renegade is heavily rotation reliant as a single mistiming of skills can result energy not being used up, leading to a delayed legend swap and a massive dps drop. The whole rotation is either delayed or completely messed up. There’s no point in playing a dps that outputs subpar damage and counting on others to make up for your low numbers.

I had never really played ren on Qadim, since DD is so strong there... But I went and did a clear real quick last night to see what you were talking about to see if I could help, and I encountered none of these issues. I tried shooting sb4 on platforms i wasn't standing on, ones that were the slightly higher elevation from the one I was on, ones lower, and even ones that weren't touching at all during the final JP phase, and I experienced none of these issues. :anguished:

I think you're either having an issue with your character positioning (remember shots aimed directly 90 degrees from your character will appear as green circles, but will fail to fire), or you are suffering from a major client side bug. If you're 100% confident this isn't an issue with your play, you should try running a client repair or completely deleting your game and reinstalling.

@narcx.3570 said:

I had never really played ren on Qadim, since DD is so strong there... But I went and did a clear real quick last night to see what you were talking about to see if I could help, and I encountered none of these issues. I tried shooting sb4 on platforms i wasn't standing on, ones that were the slightly higher elevation from the one I was on, ones lower, and even ones that weren't touching at all during the final JP phase, and I experienced none of these issues. :anguished:

I think you're either having an issue with your character positioning (remember shots aimed directly 90 degrees from your character will appear as green circles, but will fail to fire), or you are suffering from a major client side bug. If you're 100% confident this isn't an issue with your play, you should try running a client repair or completely deleting your game and reinstalling.

I’ve already gone through with Anet support, i.e client repair and reinstalling, before they suggested I post on discussion forum. As I said, this might be a bug I’m encountering specific to Qadim as other people told me they didn’t have this problem.

The 90 degrees aiming feature of the skill and other aim/indicator related ones are what I’m trying to ask for Anet to change/update to be more consistent and easier to use like my Dragonhunter’s lb 4 and 5.

Thanks narcx for testing it out to see if you have the same problem :)

Shortbow can be fixed, and it doesn't need much tweaking.

SB3: Shrink the angle a bit just slightly. At the end of the shot, allow arrows to continue traveling just slightly, for more accuracy. (Quality of life.)

Old SB2: Remove it from the game. (It literally cannot hit moving targets, and the effect doesn't do anything that differentiates it from autoattack..)

New SB2: Cripple+Immobilize foe, evade backwards. 5e cost. The intent to address PvP complaints with shortbow, such as lack of evade, and to position foes better to hit with SB3.

SB4: Allow it to target anywhere, like any other ground target aoe. (Quality of Life)

SB1: Buff autoattack to make up for the loss of damage removing old SB2.

Hi, I fixed shortbow.