1v1 PvP is likely the most overlooked selling point in guild wars 2.

I've played a lot of MMORPG's , specifically pvp'd in them. And while i wouldn't consider guild wars to have the most fun pvp going for it, i will mention one area they strive in.

1v1

Dumping the hard holy trinity means that the number of hard-counters to every build is substantially reduced. In nearly every other MMO i've played there are many cases where i'm presented with an impossible 1v1 situation just because the kit i brought was hard countered- meaning the other player could virtually roll their head across the keyboard and probably win against me.

Some people like that, particularly those who aren't competitive and just want to be able to win sometimes, i get that. But it's not good game design, because that would be like playing a game of chess where the other player starts out with 6 queens to your 1, why would you ever want to play a game like that?

I have yet to find an MMO that holds up to the individual skill level of guild wars 2, which, ill be honest, im not very good at. And it is very frustrating to realize that i'm not very good when presented a fair, highly skill based scenario i have yet to have practice in.

Its not perfect, because if it were, it wouldn't be so imperative to extensively research a viable kit. That's the only step that makes this compliment true. The game developers should, as a courtesy to everyone, define the preset's by which pvp is most effective so that the general population isn't confused and hopeless to their own failures. But to those builds which actually make sense, generally speaking, everyone stands a chance. There's very, very rare situations where you'd encounter another player who's kit counter's you so hard where you'd be inclined to just kill yourself and save yourself the effort of trying.

Guild wars 2 combat is amazing for 1v1. Imagine a gamemode with leaderboards and arenas for 1v1. Balancing easier than 5v5 conquest and it becomes a fine repeatable content and has much better content to get into and stream. No need to worry about shitty teammates because of low population. Its a waste really anet does not want actual competitive gamrmode. Only fluff pve'ing hidden as a pvp gamemode.

@XECOR.2814 said:Guild wars 2 combat is amazing for 1v1. Imagine a gamemode with leaderboards and arenas for 1v1. Balancing easier than 5v5 conquest and it becomes a fine repeatable content and has much better content to get into and stream. No need to worry about kitten teammates because of low population. Its a waste really anet does not want actual competitive gamrmode. Only fluff pve'ing hidden as a pvp gamemode.

A good 1v1 balance wouldn't even be bad as a conquest balance. 1v1 leaderboard and q would be great (each match could be best of 5 or something). Then you maybe even can make the current ranked q 5v5, joinable with 0-4 premates, as we had in core gw2. The old leaderboard pre hot without season were much more skillbased than what we have since the first amber-diamond-legend division pip league. You had a solo q (into conquest, that would be replaced by a 1v1 gamemode) and you had a team q you could also join solo or with less than 5 ppl in group. But matchmaking was way better back then, not only because of a larger playerbase but also because they ruined something on the matchmaking in s2 they couldn't fix until now.

Guild Wars 2 combat is not suited for 1v1. Any build that is successful against too many other builds in 1v1 has something wrong with it that has to be fixed. In any other case it'll be more like rock-paper scissors, with builds having inherent advantages over other builds and weaknesses against others. Any reasonably synergized builds not adhering to this would have either not enough weaknesses if not enough other builds have advantages over it, or not enough strengths if they have no advantages over enough other builds.
And thus 1v1 would have too much influence from luck if you can't pick your opponent, and too much 'one-upping' if you can pick opponents or change builds.

And so the minimum party size in GW2 PvP should be at least 2v2.

people have been asking for more game modes since time immemorial, yet anet keeps on beating the conquest drum into oblivion. the common counter argument is that splitting the pvp population, which is already low, would make finding games take longer for everyone. it would, but I don't think it would be so bad as to make conquest q times take 10+min. more modes would be great for the game, not at first, but over time I think the pvp population would grow drastically.

@Invoker.5462 said:I've played a lot of MMORPG's , specifically pvp'd in them. And while i wouldn't consider guild wars to have the most fun pvp going for it, i will mention one area they strive in.

1v1

Dumping the hard holy trinity means that the number of hard-counters to every build is substantially reduced. In nearly every other MMO i've played there are many cases where i'm presented with an impossible 1v1 situation just because the kit i brought was hard countered- meaning the other player could virtually roll their head across the keyboard and probably win against me.

Some people like that, particularly those who aren't competitive and just want to be able to win sometimes, i get that. But it's not good game design, because that would be like playing a game of chess where the other player starts out with 6 queens to your 1, why would you ever want to play a game like that?

I have yet to find an MMO that holds up to the individual skill level of guild wars 2, which, ill be honest, im not very good at. And it is very frustrating to realize that i'm not very good when presented a fair, highly skill based scenario i have yet to have practice in.

Its not perfect, because if it were, it wouldn't be so imperative to extensively research a viable kit. That's the only step that makes this compliment true. The game developers should, as a courtesy to everyone, define the preset's by which pvp is most effective so that the general population isn't confused and hopeless to their own failures. But to those builds which actually make sense, generally speaking, everyone stands a chance. There's very, very rare situations where you'd encounter another player who's kit counter's you so hard where you'd be inclined to just kill yourself and save yourself the effort of trying.

Not sure how long and in what divisions you play, but you will eventually learn that this game is very rock/paper/scissors, just like any other mmorpg.

Guild wars 2 doesn’t have a lot of hard counter scenarios but the ones they do have are quite ridiculous

Mesmer vs Rev was a complete auto loss to the Rev no matter how bad the mes was up until the most recent patches. (Silver/Gold mes could easily kill top 10 revs)

Soulbeast vs necro is also an extreme hardcounter favoring the soul beast.

Dueling is literally funner than the "real" PvP game mode. Who cares if it wouldn't be some perfectly balanced premier game mode, it's just plain fun. Not like gw2 PvP is some serious pro thing, formalize it and let us mess around with it and have a good time.

while some matchups are very fun and equal in a 1v1, there are still a lot of situations where it is horribly one sided. Honestly to me it looks like gw2 pvp is balanced for conquest, not 1v1s. It just so happens that the skilled player can accomplish much much more in gw2 than an equally skilled player could in other mmos like wow.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:while some matchups are very fun and equal in a 1v1, there are still a lot of situations where it is horribly one sided. Honestly to me it looks like gw2 pvp is balanced for conquest, not 1v1s. It just so happens that the skilled player can accomplish much much more in gw2 than an equally skilled player could in other mmos like wow.

The conquest balance is pretty bad too and Anet doesn't really care, why would they refuse to make a gamemode with bad balance they just could also not care about but at least we get some changes and more pvp content already?

@"Elrond.9486" said:Dueling is literally funner than the "real" PvP game mode. Who cares if it wouldn't be some perfectly balanced premier game mode, it's just plain fun. Not like gw2 PvP is some serious pro thing, formalize it and let us mess around with it and have a good time.

Necro vs Ranger.

„Game starts“

The necro gets insta deleted by pewpew soulbeast.

„Second round“

„The soulbeast won the best of 3“

The QQ on the Forum about 1v1 Balance would be glorious!

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@"Elrond.9486" said:Dueling is literally funner than the "real" PvP game mode. Who cares if it wouldn't be some perfectly balanced premier game mode, it's just plain fun. Not like gw2 PvP is some serious pro thing, formalize it and let us mess around with it and have a good time.

Necro vs Ranger.

„Game starts“

„Second round“

Hows that any different to now?

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Necro vs Ranger.

„Game starts“

„Second round“

Hows that any different to now?

No Firebrand Carry.